PDA

View Full Version : First video in my series... YAY CONTENT!!!

funktion
06-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Hey all you night owls up late constantly refreshing the kickstarter page. Maybe you're looking for something to keep yourself busy for a few short minutes. Well you're in luck, I just published my first video with many more to follow in the coming weeks.

Deck Tech #1: Mono-Ruby (http://youtu.be/dTcPOokiM4g)

This video focuses on a pvp deck tech using already spoiled cards. I expect that the deck will still undergo a few changes but it will likely still be fairly recognizable.

Hopefully you enjoy the video. I could definitely use some practice, it's been awhile since I did something like this. If you did like it, let me know so that I'm encouraged to keep up the work!

~Cheers!

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 01:08 AM
I approve of Hex related content. I'll likely respond with my thoughts here given YT only allows fairly small comments.

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 01:36 AM
Firstly, top job on the content - as I said in the comments, I'd be confident watching future videos that I'd be shown something 'correct', as you've demonstrated you have a good handle on card selection and analysis.

In terms of your decklist, I think you're pretty much spot on with the cards that have been spoiled atm. I don't think you could make any changes to it right now, and those last 3 cards will probably come from future-spoilers.

Don't undersell Rage Monger; he's pretty awesome for this deck. On the times you go first, how often will your opponent successful play a one and two drop troop? Every time they don't and you play this guy, you're getting an unblocked attack on turn 3. Stopping their best creature from blocking is just gravy.

Edit: btw, the video quality itself wasn't great. Was that an encoding issue or something? Might be hard for people who don't know the cards to follow along.

Is there a reason you're sticking with mono-ruby? Trying to keep things safe with threshold requirements? I just bring it up because Blood Harbinger and Warlock Inquisitor would be very good in this sort of deck. Blood Harbinger is above curve and either gets you gas when she dies or really digs into their life total; Warlock Inquisitor has self-recursion, is on curve, and with the blood and ruby gems available can either swing for large amounts with Rage 2, or can swing for a respectable 4 w/ Swift Strike.

Beastmaster
06-07-2013, 01:39 AM
Awesome - really enjoyed seeing the spoiled cards come together as a deck. Good choice too as red burn is generally pretty accessible and cheap and will likely see a lot of play when Hex first goes live.

Edit: also with the Emberspire Witch, the green attack number means that it has been buffed. I assume by the Ruby Pyromancer as it would be unusual for a red creature to be a 1/2 and the defence number is not green and so has not been buffed.

Verdant
06-07-2013, 01:41 AM
@Jaxson Haven't seen the video yet, but Blood Harbinger requires 2 blood threshold which can be quite a painful drawback for fast ruby deck (assuming that he did an aggro ruby. If not, ignore everything I said).

funktion
06-07-2013, 01:45 AM
This was just the deck that I felt I had most finished, so figured I'd use it for the first video. If you're going for speed you also need consistency, and branching out to a second color is going to cut down on that. Though 2 color still might be better / faster.

Yeah, I gotta work on the encoding a bit still. New with using xsplit, going to go ahead and probably just purchase a subscription to it over the weekend before I publish the other vids.

nicosharp
06-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Nice deck and video Funktion. Do you know, is Ragefire a PvE only card? (I've been looking at the orange bottom of cards, and they all seem overpowered when I see them - either craftable, or somehow PvE imo.)
Also the Emberspire Witch says it is PvE on the Hex DB

Those two cards are probably the 2 most powerful in the deck.
Decks like this force mid-range decks to exist. I don't think combo or control could beat this decks' speed.

funktion
06-07-2013, 01:47 AM
@beast, yeah I assumed it meant it was being buffed... 3/2 with all those abilities for just 2 is way too good to be true.

Verdant
06-07-2013, 01:49 AM
Nice deck and video Funktion. Do you know, is Ragefire a PvE only card? (I've been looking at the orange bottom of cards, and they all seem overpowered when I see them - either craftable, or somehow PvE imo.)
So far there were no indications that Ragefire is PvE-only. Orange color in this case is for exclusive KS alternate alt.

Khazrakh
06-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Good video but the quality is sadly too poor, the cards need to be readable.

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 01:52 AM
On the KS Ragefire is listed as an alt art PvP card.

As for Harbinger - didn't even think about her threshold, just how awesome she is. :-3

nicosharp
06-07-2013, 01:52 AM
So far there were no indications that Ragefire is PvE-only. Orange color in this case is for exclusive KS alternate alt.
Ahh! Thanks. I noticed a revealed card with an orange color, and it was not an exclusive:
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/VoidSocietyCog_Gear_Web1.png

However, Ragefire is listed as PvP on the rewards page.

Beastmaster
06-07-2013, 01:56 AM
I thought this was a faction reward from the Void Society - thus the orange as its faction specific. I think they are using the PvE icon next to the rarity on most of the cards to indicate PvE unless some of the cards are missing it by accident.

nicosharp
06-07-2013, 01:58 AM
I thought this was a faction reward from the Void Society - thus the orange as its faction specific. I think they are using the PvE icon next to the rarity on most of the cards to indicate PvE unless some of the cards are missing it by accident.

That has to be it. There was a quick mention at not all of the cards being correctly labelled for PvE yet in the previews.

shadealpha
06-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Thanks for a great video. I'm pretty new to TCG's, so its really useful for me to hear your reasoning for putting the different cards into the deck. I'm really looking forward to watching more of your videos :)

Gorgol
06-07-2013, 02:38 AM
I wish I could read the cards, otherwise great video.

Indormi
06-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Video quality sucked, content wise it was really good

Zomnivore
06-07-2013, 03:22 AM
4min seems like a nice vid.

Not sure if I really care about deck builds with as limited a card pool n all that but its always good to be thinking.

5:50 that card has green lettering and it looks to be a buffed stat, all numbers and lettering seem to be white when standard.

Showsni
06-07-2013, 03:26 AM
Emberspire Witch is a 2/2 - it was spoiled in the twitch video, where it was getting buffed by Ruby Pyromancer. (The spoiled twitch video deck looks pretty similar to this one; didn't save him from the bunnies! (and his own Inferno.))

wallofomens
06-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Hey, funktion! Great video there. A couple of things you should probably work on, though.

Video Quality - at 9:54 when you said "it's got quite a bit of text on it, so I'll let you read it" I laughed my face off. :D But yeah, you need to upload videos in resolution for at least 720p, 1080 if you can. Try 1280x720 for 720p.

Whipsering - it sound like you are whispering throughout the whole video. Now, I've been guilty of the same thing, and when I first started making videos my voice was quite quiet as well - try and pick up the volume a little. It makes for a more interesting video.

Know the cards - try and know the cards before starting the video. For example the Emberspire Witch is a 2/2 with swiftstrike, and you didn't seem sure what its stats were because they were in green. Also the Malfunctioning War Bot is a 2/2 for 2 - the one you showed is an older version of it. This is an easy one, though, so no worries here.

These are just a couple of things that I think would improve your videos.

Keep up the good work, I'm sure you will improve a lot very quickly! :)

TheWrathofShane
06-07-2013, 04:00 AM
Posted my comments already on the youtube video. Ill recap some points here.

Ruby deck wins nice.

The witch is actually 2/2 swiftstrike troop with that anti lifegain ability.

While cooking pot is a weak card, it does slow down charge powers pretty massively, and with any kind of recurrence it can lock your opponents charge power out of the game. We already saw a few ways to get artifacts out of the graveyard

And yes the pact of pain is a very solid card, reminds me of greed from MTG.

Khazrakh
06-07-2013, 04:18 AM
While cooking pot is a weak card, it does slow down charge powers pretty massively, and with any kind of recurrence it can lock your opponents charge power out of the game. We already saw a few ways to get artifacts out of the graveyard

That's not what the deck is about though. You're looking to kill the other guy before he triggers his charge power a second time so you really don't want to waste any ressources on stuff like uncharging or artifact resurrection ;)

Sloofin
06-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Nice video Funktion!

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 05:22 AM
Yeah, typically you're not going to include Cooking Pot in a PvP deck unless you somehow have some way of abusing it. 1 damage to a champion and 1 charge is just not enough benefit for the loss of a card.

Avaian
06-07-2013, 05:27 AM
You may want to think about rampaging Tarasque, 8/1 with speed and crush for 5 could turn a game around.

funktion
06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks a ton for all the support guys! Going to work on improving the quality when I get home tonight. This was more of a practice run for me using the software. I'm used to recording audio (for podcasts) so video definitely has a few more things to worry about (and there's still a bit of room to improve the audio).

The resolution will be better on the next video I do for sure. Going to revisit this deck in another month once more cards are spoiled, so everyone can get a not so blurry version of it then.

@wall, Is your sound turned down? I actually re-recorded it because the first time it was way too loud. I don't particularly like the mic I'm using either but that's not because of volume issues. When I rewatched the video it felt like the volume was just right and I still had my speakers and comp setting to about half volume.

Anyone else have volume issues?

nicosharp
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Volume sounds great to me. No issues there.
I think Wall is a little overly critical. You did a bang up job explaining the cards and the deck synergies.

shadealpha
06-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Volume seemed good to me.

funktion
06-07-2013, 10:12 AM
@Nico / Shade, good to know, thanks fellas. Any input is good input especially early on here.

wallofomens
06-07-2013, 10:14 AM
@wall, Is your sound turned down? I actually re-recorded it because the first time it was way too loud. I don't particularly like the mic I'm using either but that's not because of volume issues. When I rewatched the video it felt like the volume was just right and I still had my speakers and comp setting to about half volume.

It's not that the volume was too low, but that your voice felt somewhat... whispery? That's probably not even a word. :D Don't get me wrong, though - the content is great! Keep it up! :)

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Hex fans all around! Did you like the decklist Funktion posted? Actually see it in action against a mono-blood control deck here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FmoTRMVWg

IndigoShade
06-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Just 1 thing, in one of the livestreams they did recently I believe the Warbot was changed to a 2/2 for 2 with the same effect rather than a 1/1 for 1.

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Ah, I forgot to mention this before, but just remembered - I'm pretty sure the Emberspire Witch doesn't have swift strike naturally (making her a bit more balanced), as it's in green, and if I'm not mistaken green is used for something that has been positively added or modified (like the 3 that had been buffed by seemingly-Ruby Pyromancer).

funktion
06-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah that definitely crossed my mind literally as I was talking about the card. Like you mentioned that +1/0 & firststrike combat trick is likely the culprit. Either that or an inspire effect.

Talreth
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm also gonna chip in for a one or two-of rampaging tarrasque. Helps more against things like shinhare.

Edit: I imagine at the very least for sideboard

funktion
06-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm also gonna chip in for a one or two-of rampaging tarrasque. Helps more against things like shinhare.

Edit: I imagine at the very least for sideboard

And that's why I mentioned it at the end of the video while talking about sideboard : P

LargoLaGrande
06-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Ah, I forgot to mention this before, but just remembered - I'm pretty sure the Emberspire Witch doesn't have swift strike naturally (making her a bit more balanced), as it's in green, and if I'm not mistaken green is used for something that has been positively added or modified (like the 3 that had been buffed by seemingly-Ruby Pyromancer).

I took a look at the twitch stream when Emberspire Witch was played, it's hard to see but when it's being cast the witch is a 2/2 with swift strike while it's on the stack. If you look at the Blaze Elementals created in the same game their Speed is also in green, so maybe green text is just used for all keywords.

Yasi
06-07-2013, 09:31 PM
You have a very monotone voice. Although your video is very informative, it is also very boring which may drive viewers away.

jaxsonbateman
06-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Oh, that might be true - how curious.

IndigoShade
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
You have a very monotone voice. Although your video is very informative, it is also very boring which may drive viewers away.

You might want to try speaking in purple comic sans.

LargoLaGrande
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
It was bad in the introduction to the video, but I thought funktion's tone and delivery were fine once he started talking about the deck itself.

Showsni
06-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Hex fans all around! Did you like the decklist Funktion posted? Actually see it in action against a mono-blood control deck here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1FmoTRMVWg

Interesting video. I was thinking of some kind of Blood Diamond control deck myself; use smaller Inspire creatures to chump and buy turns, then clear the board with Extinction and use Blessing the Fallen to make all your dead creatures still relevant. (Diamond's lifegain coupled with Blood's pay life to draw cards and stuff also seems useful).

Of course, mono Blood gets access to Terrible Transfer...

Gorgol
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM

That's pretty neat!

funktion
06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
It was bad in the introduction to the video, but I thought funktion's tone and delivery were fine once he started talking about the deck itself.

TBH, it's probably because the first segment had to be re-recorded more times. Had a few errors with the software... it might have made me bored of redoing the intro : P.

On that note, working on the next video as we speak. I'd like to do release another deck tech but don't wanna overload on just that one subject. Any thoughts or requests for topics?