PDA

View Full Version : What are "champions", "mercenaries" and "character" ?

Winsom
06-07-2013, 04:40 AM
What are the differences?

I understand that Champion defines the Charge power. What else does it do ?
There are pvp champions, pve champions, and anything else ?

Can I make a custom Champion?

When I create my Character, is that my Champion too? Characters have the skill point tree, faction, and ?

What is a Mercenary? That was mentioned in the Kickstarter discussion. How are they different from Champions? What do they do?

Thanks

Tiuvath
06-07-2013, 04:45 AM
You can create your own champion (8 races/ gender / 6 classes ) but only for PVE

the rest i dont know myself

Krenos
06-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Champion refers to two different entities.
PVP Champions are set and you choose one of them they have a charge power that's good for some decks.
PVE you create your champion as a combination of Race/Class/Gender and you will have Talents to guide his/her abilities.[This is your created "Character"]

Mercs are special champions with better than average powers but few/no choices in terms of direction of power.

Winsom
06-07-2013, 05:16 AM
So, the bonus kickstarter champions are actually Mercenaries? I can chose to use those instead of creating my own character/champion?

Seems odd if my creation choices are nullified. Maybe only some choices are replaced by the Merc and the rest come from my Character...

Thelaasa
06-07-2013, 05:20 AM
So, the bonus kickstarter champions are actually Mercenaries? I can chose to use those instead of creating my own character/champion?

Seems odd if my creation choices are nullified. Maybe only some choices are replaced by the Merc and the rest come from my Character...

When you choose to use a mercenary, that is completely in place of your created character. Sometimes, you might want to play around with a merc because their abilities look fun, other times they may have a set of abilities that would be more useful for a given dungeon that what you are building your champion for. My understanding of the system right now is that you can switch between you champion and any mercs you have at any time so long as you aren't in a dungeon/raid.

LexC
06-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Is it one PvE Champion per account? (The one you create yourself), or can I have all 8 races and all gender combination and swap them around depending on the deck? At leased that's how it seems to work during the Twitch Demos.

Travis
06-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Mercenaries are more narrow versions of champions. You don't get customize them like a standard champion. They give you additional powers as you level them up, the same as you would a level a standard champion. Most of them are very theme based and specific as to how to maximize them. They are a cool add-on and cannot be traded. I would imagine Crypto will have a format where you can only use decks built with Mercenaries as your champion

Yasi
06-07-2013, 08:23 AM
You can have all 6 basic Champions(Cleric, Mage, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, and Warrior)on 1 account that can level up to level 60. I assume the characters will be in the form of a card and you can swap them out whenever because read below.

Mercenaries can be used in place of your champions and their max level is 20.

The benefit of playing your champion is that it'll end up being stronger than most/all mercenaries.

Mercenaries are PvE exclusive.

Newer Champions will be released with each set. Set 1 are the Cleric, Mage, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock, and Warrior, I assume.

MrCwis
06-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Champions (http://hextcg.com/game/champion/) are described on there wiki.

There are PVE Champions. They level from 1-50 unlocking some type of power every 10 levels. You get to choose from one of three options for each and your choices don't restrict your future choices. This will be your "charater" as you play dungeons and raids, and any aspect of PVE. It's been said that you will be able to have more than one of these, and that the skills will be able to be respeced.

Mercnaries are special unlockable Champions that level from 1 -20. These are unlocked though kickstarter or special goals that will be set throughtout PVE. When used these take the the place of your created champion, and often offer unique powers that can be used to build a special type of deck.

PVP champions, these don't level and are the same for everyone. When playing in PVP you choose a champion to use that compliments your deck with the charge power.

Winsom
06-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. Great info.

I am hopeful that Mercenaries will be fun to use. I do not want to be in a situation where using a Merc means I do Not get exp from my "main" set of Champions that I want to level up. I want to play Mercs for fun and not have it be an opportunity cost. You know how in an MMO you will always typically gain experience for your main character. I want HEX to be the same.

I also hope we can hot-swap merc/champs and deck-builds within dungeons and raids. I assume this will have to be the case due to the puzzle-based nature of some battles.

My current champion + deck might be failing. I will need to change it out to continue. I doubt we will have to restart the dungeon to swap. We get 3 Failures per dungeon, so I've heard. Sounds like we might fail once, swap to a new strategy to try again, without restarting the whole dungeon.

Avedecus
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. Great info.

I am hopeful that Mercenaries will be fun to use. I do not want to be in a situation where using a Merc means I do Not get exp from my "main" set of Champions that I want to level up. I want to play Mercs for fun and not have it be an opportunity cost. You know how in an MMO you will always typically gain experience for your main character. I want HEX to be the same.

I also hope we can hot-swap merc/champs and deck-builds within dungeons and raids. I assume this will have to be the case due to the puzzle-based nature of some battles.

My current champion + deck might be failing. I will need to change it out to continue. I doubt we will have to restart the dungeon to swap. We get 3 Failures per dungeon, so I've heard. Sounds like we might fail once, swap to a new strategy to try again, without restarting the whole dungeon.

You only get experience for cards you use. So if you use a mercenary, your other champs and mercenaries will not gain experience. Mercenaries do however gain experience at an increased rate, so they are much easier to level up.

Matt.Fortress
06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Pity, playing with your character+ 1 champion/merc would've been good fun Imo.

mudkip
06-07-2013, 08:10 PM
They are a cool add-on and cannot be traded.

I bought two backers, and was wondering whether I should not merge them and then sell off the Mercenaries.

I will probably merge them now that I know this.

Yasi
06-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I bought two backers, and was wondering whether I should not merge them and then sell off the Mercenaries.

I will probably merge them now that I know this.

Mercenaries will merge.

mudkip
06-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Mercenaries will merge.

I'm aware they would merge, that's the point. If you could sell them, you'd be better off not merging multiple backer tiers.