PDA

View Full Version : Its the end of the line. Buy 2 collectors or risk buying PP 2nd hand market.

Prism
06-07-2013, 04:58 AM
/EDIT. It is done! I am now the proud owner of 2 paid for Collector tiers! I look forward to playing with you all, this seems like an awesome and friendly community

Hey. So its the end of the line. Kickstarter is almost done. I am very interested in this game and ready to sell off all of my magic cards and play this instead.

My options are:

1) Buy a pro player tier from someone that I do not know for $350 and maybe get it without problems.

2) Buy 2 collector tiers for $500, get them guaranteed, and have a playset of lotuses (lotei?), and all AA cards for life.

I am a very competitive magic player and I LOVE to draft. Even though I feel that I am in the top 10% skill in my country (sorry if you feel this is arrogant, not my intention) and almost made the national team this year, I could not go infinite on MTGO. I probably still cannot go infinite (continue drafting as long as I want without putting more money into the system after a point) on this game without the free weekly draft.

I feel like this game is guaranteed to be successful and stay relevant for a long time and not just die as another garbage MTG ripoff (although they carbon copied a lot of cards from MTG if the 2 videos I watched are representative). Because of this, 1 free draft EVERY week for LIFE sounds godly... The game is not going anywhere and the future drafts will still be awesome.

Also, I'm guessing that set 1 packs and cards will be worth far less than 2, 3, etc. There is the MTG "Alpha" effect where the first cards are now worth ridiculous amounts but this game is digital and far easier to store cards and not lose them. It is also 2013 and there is the internet. People are not new to this sort of thing. I am fully expecting the future sets to be much more scarce after kickstarter giving out tens (hundreds?) of thousands of pack1 packs and 1 year of drafts. Because of this, the free weekly drafts after year 1 sound very very nice.

Ramble ramble... What do you think you would do? I can afford $500 safely as I have a lot of expensive staple magic cards that would not be too hard to sell (although I still cannot find a job, McDonalds hasn't even accepted me yet despite my professionalism, experience, and willingness to work WHENEVER :(). It would devastate me if I was cheated out of $350 though as that is a huge amount to me (even $1 is much appreciated).

Do I risk $350 and get pro player which is probably worth the extra $100 over collector, or do I go with peace of mind and compensate the fact that I do not get the better deal and spend $500 on two collectors?

Any advice? :). Either way, my excitement for this game over the past 8 days grew from "wow this is pretty cool, might be good" to "this needs to be part of my life and I'm willing to leave magic for it" (I only have money for 1 hobby at this stage in my life).

Thanks team. I look very much forward to becoming a part of this game with you guys :).

Oaka23
06-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Pledge Immortal and be a special snowflake.

srs tiem: 2 collectors.

jeff
06-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Crypto deserves your money more than a scalper does. My 2c.

Khazrakh
06-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Crypto deserves your money more than a scalper does. My 2c.

Could not agree more.

Tiuvath
06-07-2013, 05:06 AM
frankly 350$ for a PP would be a friendship price(unless you already have a guy willing to sell). My estimation for a PP value would be around a 2xyear value of free draft some discount possible regarding to demand.

but taking this into account i'd put the resale value of a PP at 500-750$

Prism
06-07-2013, 05:09 AM
I already have someone willing to sell that I do not know at $350. It is very possible that the deal could go awry and I could be out of $350 and not be able to get it back from paypal. Much safer to just get collector's directly from Crypto. I am leaning towards this option right now (Although I really wish they'd allow me to put both collectors on the same account and get the full rewards, would be much easier)

XeosCeleres
06-07-2013, 05:19 AM
I'm just trying to give you a different perspective than the A vs B option.

1. You're a pro player which means the PP is definitely your first choice.

2. However, the PP doesn't even have AA cards - something you find of value as your second choice - which I think is confusing.

3. I think the main thing you're attracted is "free draft".

4. Which means even 1x Collectors will fulfill "1 draft" albiet not a lifetime.

5. As a pro player AA cards are just art. It doesn't change the function of the card, thus your pro-player 'tools' are still the same. No advantage to you. So the lure of collectors is only for 4 lotuses.

6. I suggest get 1xCollector now, which saves you US$100 (from the scalper).

7. If the game launches in October, you'd have saved that US$100 for 4 months. You could use the money now for other things, invest it, or save it.

8. Get 2 more lotuses when the game launches, at the right price. Let's say you get it at US$20 down the road or US$40 each. You still save money.

9. Plus, you don't run the risk of a scam. In which you'd lose US$350.

RanaDunes
06-07-2013, 05:30 AM
One free draft a week is nothing "exclusive" in other words you will never feel that you've "missed out". You can always draft for a reasonable price (compared to MTGO). Yes, the PP tier offers a good money value if you will draft every week for 5 years but seriously it is not THAT much of a big deal. With the VIP sub, draft tournaments are ~$4... is that really worth $350 up front? remember with collector you also get free drafts for the first year.

At least for Collector Tier you'll get something the PP tier will not get easily and that is semi-exclusive. The DC's tier benefit IS completely exclusive. No one will ever be able to get 100% loot off PvE dungeons while in the other hand everyone can draft anytime they want.

I say never risk your money to buy a PP from a shady person, no one should. And don't let the hype force you to throw money on something just because of the mental state of "Why can't I have it too!!!".

PP tier doesn't offer ANYTHING exclusive... keep this in mind and you'll realize how overrated this tier is. The whole thing you've missed is saving money which honestly it's like buying a sandwich every week..... come on guys.. you will never FEEL the difference.

Prism
06-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Hmm... these last 2 posts are very good. Maybe just 1 Collector tier and save myself the hassle of 2 accounts. I was mainly interested in the alt-art cards from a value approach. There is a chance that they will be almost valueless.

Maybe then Guild Leader would be better, get the 90 packs rather than the alt-arts and extra lotus. Decisions decisions ><

Indormi
06-07-2013, 05:37 AM
2x Collectors all the way. Saving 7 dollars a week after the first year is nice, but collector bonueses are pretty sweet too.

Oaka23
06-07-2013, 05:37 AM
$4 a month, get one pack free a week. I think that's it, but for some reason I think I remember seeing something about vip tournaments. I could be making that up though.

mainstager
06-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Collector's is a strong choice. Buying a secondary market PP will be sketchy at best.

Tiuvath
06-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Vip sub doesnt make draft 4$. VIP sub gives 1 free pack each week for 4$ a month
(oke it makes ~1 draft per month 4$ total if you count like that)

Personally I'd take collector over guildmaster (I did)
There is already a huge amount of Set 1 boosters available and the alternate cards are all rare/legendary

RanaDunes
06-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Also a lot of you are underestimating the Raid Leader tier.
Raids will net the best PvE loot and that will go for good prices in the AH, some cards might net you x currencies that are used to enter tournaments. According to Cory some raids are extremely difficult and that +1 card might give you an edge and if Cory was correct and Raids are as hard as Raid from MMOs you'll probably be one of the few people who manage to get them done more successfully.

Again, +1 card is exclusive for that tier... 5 years from now and people would wonder why they are getting +1 card in their raid and you'd smirk.

If you like the PvE concept go with Raid Leader, if you're more into PvP go with Collector.

Prism
06-07-2013, 05:49 AM
IT IS DONE! I am now the proud owner of 2 paid for Collector Tiers. I look forward to playing with you fellows ^^

Poetic
06-07-2013, 05:50 AM
As someone who wanted Pro but came into the kickstarter too late, I personally ended up with 2 Collector. Seems to be the best for someone who's going to focus on PVP. I was never into AA cards myself, but coming from MTG and seeing everyone and their mother trying to pimp out decks. I feel pretty confident they'll hold some value eventually. Two separate accounts, 2 free drafts a week for a year. Going to be a great year.

Khazrakh
06-07-2013, 05:51 AM
IT IS DONE! I am now the proud owner of 2 paid for Collector Tiers. I look forward to playing with you fellows ^^

You did the right thing in my book! Welcome aboard ;)

Prism
06-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Thank you Khazrakh. I give you a big smile :)

Zomnivore
06-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Buy two collectors in my mind vip will get you your pvp at a reasonable price, but AA cards? At a reasonable price? HA!

whoops ya you bought two congrats I hope you have a great time playing your AA's

RanaDunes
06-07-2013, 05:59 AM
I also suggest sniping for DC (to end up with 1 collector + 1 DC) there are some who are dropping Collector for DC (which I think is a mistake to be honest) DC, if available, is more valuable than the Collector Tier.

Prism
06-07-2013, 06:03 AM
I can't snipe unfortunately as I only have paypal and no credit card. I am very happy with my purchase after waiting all this time and I hope it stays that way. I don't really have much interest in DC as I feel that gold and equipment won't be worth much. Maybe if this was diablo and items had stats, FOR SURE. But items are just items I think and after a little while I assume most people will have the best items

Googolplex
06-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Go Collector, don't risk the PP.

Sergan
06-07-2013, 07:09 AM

good choice.
gratz! ;)

mainstager
06-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Gratz to you, my friend. Enjoy :)

majin
06-07-2013, 07:50 AM

great choice. too bad you can't snipe as I would have helped you (i saw your thread about how much you wanted a pp) now that I got my pp (i was from collector too, prefer it over DC). it's a bit tricky but not too hard to setup once you know how

see you on alpha ^____^

Emander
06-07-2013, 08:16 AM
I would also be a buyer of PP (can pay a premium) if someone can snipe one...

Currently in as King