PDA

View Full Version : What is the lore behind the mechanics?

Yoss
06-11-2013, 03:39 PM
What does BASICACTION mean in a lore sense? Is it a spell, mental power, physical ability, or what? Same question applies to QUICKACTION. We really need better names.

How about RESOURCES? What are they? Is it the same for all factions or does it vary?

Is there a list or article somewhere that talks about this?

quaza
06-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Game Mechanics > Lore. A fun game with a crap storyline is way better than a crap game with a good storyline (at least in my books). Sure, the devs might be able to spin some lore into the mechanics, but if they can't they aren't going to alter the game to make it fit.

Yoss
06-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Not sure what you're trying to say that's relevant to my post. My post said nothing about altering, weakening, deleting, or adding mechanics in any way. My post takes the game mechanics as a given, designed to make the best game possible. The next step in game design (when starting with mechanics) is to figure out the flesh to put on the bones. Given that we know the mechanics, now what do they MEAN? Believe it or not, some people actually care about things like card names and art.

Madican
06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Do not engage the troll people.

mydragoon
06-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Not sure what you're trying to say that's relevant to my post. My post said nothing about altering, weakening, deleting, or adding mechanics in any way. My post takes the game mechanics as a given, designed to make the best game possible. The next step in game design (when starting with mechanics) is to figure out the flesh to put on the bones. Given that we know the mechanics, now what do they MEAN? Believe it or not, some people actually care about things like card names and art.

i believe this game actually makes fun of such things like card names...
for example: Foo Manshroom (Fu Man Chu); Shroomador Dali (Salvador Dali).
see: http://hextcg.com/rewards/#knight

so, good luck if you're gonna be taking things a bit too seriously...

as for mechanics and any lore behind it... i doubt it. i believe they are just words to quickly bring to mind the effects. QUICKACTION being an action that is quick (duh)... quicker than basic action. it could be a spell (usually a spell), an action (duh again!), or what-not. the quick there is to say that it can be played anytime. read: instant in MTG.

but if you wanna know what Escalation or even Swiftstrike does, check out: http://hextcg.com/keywords/