PDA

View Full Version : What if Hex has 1 million players....

kingzzk
06-12-2013, 01:49 AM
...and 990,000 of them are whining about how unbalance the game is with the 10k KS players and their benefits.

How do you think CZE will respond?

Boozecluez
06-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Give them a cuddle ?

funktion
06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
What if the sun explodes tomorrow?

I tend not to plan around hypotheticals that are a long shot.

mydragoon
06-12-2013, 02:05 AM
just tell them that chances of meeting a KS backer would only be... 1% or 1 out of every 100 matches. that's still not too bad. :D

Sci3nce
06-12-2013, 02:05 AM
What if the sun explodes tomorrow?

I tend not to plan around hypotheticals that are a long shot.

In B4 sun explodes :P

Sci3nce
06-12-2013, 02:06 AM
...and 990,000 of them are whining about how unbalance the game is with the 10k KS players and their benefits.

None of the KS "Benefits" gives an advantage in PvP.

Ravallian
06-12-2013, 02:08 AM
If Hex were to get those kind of numbers, it won't be at launch that's for sure, chances are it'll be down the line where there would probably be other cards that are more sought after than any of the freebies we got given.....with maybe the lotus as an exception.

Rapkannibale
06-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Most people joining after KS will not be as hardcore about the game as we are. Which means they are less likely to do tons of research and with that are less likely to even know about all the KS stuff. If the game does get 1MM players, I think we will be in a great spot. Sure some will be sour but most will just enjoy the game.

DjiN
06-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Most people joining after KS will not be as hardcore about the game as we are. Which means they are less likely to do tons of research and with that are less likely to even know about all the KS stuff. If the game does get 1MM players, I think we will be in a great spot. Sure some will be sour but most will just enjoy the game.

Everyone will know about the "KS stuff".

"Where did you get those cool deck sleeves bro?"

Beastmaster
06-12-2013, 02:59 AM
"Where did you get those cool deck sleeves bro?"

A: I paid money to make the game a reality - you can thank me if u want..

:P

Mexalen
06-12-2013, 03:07 AM

+1!

I am really amazed about this ongoing discussion throughout the forum.
People are used to pay for stuff, especially with games.
Even if you're just playing any regular TCG casually - you'd have to do some investement.
If you play any Top-MMO - you have to buy the game and pay a monthly subscription.

And outside of games it's the same way- if someone invests money into his hobby, he is going to have stuff, somebody else doesn't. From a shirt of their favourite sportsteam to having special utensils in their kitchen.

It's not a new concept. Really.

Khazrakh
06-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Mh I don't see sleeves beeing any problem. I predict there'll be about a zillion ways to get sleeves and the like.
The only thing that might be an issue are the Raid Leaders as the +1 Card and life gain really are the only thing in the KS that actively affect gameplay. In my opinion that was the only perk not really thought out well.
Anyway, got to prepare for the impending explosion of a certain sun I've read of somewhere...

RanaDunes
06-12-2013, 03:14 AM
There's no pledge benefit that gives an edge to any player in PvP.
Everything backers got can be attain by spending money or playing more.

and the only tiers that gives an edge over PvE are DC and RL while GM can benefit the whole guild.

Remember all the thousands of boosters we received will not matter once Block 2 starts. Then we will be at the same level of everyone else (except for PP tier which can draft for free every week) but that's nothing exclusive for you can draft too but for $7.

Not to mention exclusive items were implemented in many games before. Pre-Order Deals, Collector Edition, FanFaire Rewards...etc. As long as it doesn't give an edge in PvP (which all pledge benefits don't) then I can say there's no reason for all this fuss.

DjiN
06-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Hmm I just try to imagine how WoW would have developed if the first 20k monthly subscribers would have gotten life-time double loot.
Not saying HEX won't have a big player base. I just think this point will be discussed a lot in the next half year or so.

Shadowelf
06-12-2013, 03:26 AM
There's no pledge benefit that gives an edge to any player in PvP.
Everything backers got can be attain by spending money or playing more.

and the only tiers that gives an edge over PvE are DC and RL while GM can benefit the whole guild.

Remember all the thousands of boosters we received will not matter once Block 2 starts. Then we will be at the same level of everyone else (except for PP tier which can draft for free every week) but that's nothing exclusive for you can draft too but for $7.

Not to mention exclusive items were implemented in many games before. Pre-Order Deals, Collector Edition, FanFaire Rewards...etc. As long as it doesn't give an edge in PvP (which all pledge benefits don't) then I can say there's no reason for all this fuss.

Totally agree, plus with 1m players the chances that someone will run into a KS backer will be very slim. The only tiers that will be affected, as others have already mentioned will be DC/RL which will gain a lot of value.

Ju66ernaut
06-12-2013, 03:31 AM
CZ would probably tell the 990,000 folks to keep calm, hex on, and thank the KSers for providing the financial support that allowed the developer to fully flesh the game that we all love.

Beastmaster hit it on the nose.

DjiN
06-12-2013, 03:33 AM
If we hit that high numbers, we surely don't have a problem at all (:

funktion
06-12-2013, 03:37 AM
The real answer is the one already stated... If anyone complains you can just say "Be happy that EA didn't have to produce this game to make it happen, yeah... we did that"

Ju66ernaut
06-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Hmm I just try to imagine how WoW would have developed if the first 20k monthly subscribers would have gotten life-time double loot.
Not saying HEX won't have a big player base. I just think this point will be discussed a lot in the next half year or so.

Those 20,000 accounts would be legendary. People would drool in awe when they glimpse a rare early subscriber, then wish they'd had the forethought to have done the same.

We early supporters have given tens, hundreds, and even thousands of dollars each in the hopes that this game will take flight. If it does, sweet, we have some nice benefits and a few folks will be jealous. If it doesn't, 13 year old forum trolls will flame us for having put our money where our collective hearts are. Either way, the joy I take in watching this game evolve and come into the world is well worth the price of admission I have paid.

Cronix
06-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Once this game gets popular at tournaments, lots of people will jump on the bandwagon (especially with eSports).

Offcourse there will be lots of cry babies, why do they so many cool cards ect. But who cares, we all have spend money on kickstarter to make this game real (it’s our reward).

Mike411
06-12-2013, 04:07 AM
I haven't seen anyone complain that blizzard employees (even former ones) get a lifetime free WoW subscription. So I think we'll be fine for the most part. I might not use the special sleeves in PvP anyways, hehe.

mydragoon
06-12-2013, 04:10 AM
off topic...

we seriously need some useful topics here... seriously... every 2-3 thread, i see something related to KS. no doubt KS is really giving this game life. but what about discussing things like:
* what deck are you going to choose for your starter deck?
* what champion do you have in mind?

Banquetto
06-12-2013, 04:23 AM
off topic...

we seriously need some useful topics here... seriously... every 2-3 thread, i see something related to KS.

That's games nowadays. No matter what the game, no matter what the forum, you will always find more people discussing the business model than discussing the game itself. Sad...

Malicus
06-12-2013, 04:34 AM
useful topics are hard - they are busy making the game and all we can do is speculate and personally it is bad for my health - I just spent 30 minutes test drawing a deck on one of the card DBs. I need this game badly.

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 04:47 AM

Once set ends, and set 2 begins, KS people will not have all that big an advantage as everyone will pretty much need to purchase card boosters by then to get the cards they need. And most of the KS benefits are for PvE or just Alt Art for PvP. Thus, no real advantage.

Shadowelf
06-12-2013, 04:47 AM
off topic...

we seriously need some useful topics here... seriously... every 2-3 thread, i see something related to KS. no doubt KS is really giving this game life. but what about discussing things like:
* what deck are you going to choose for your starter deck?
* what champion do you have in mind?

That's why cze needs to divide the forums into themed subforums like decks/strategy, tournaments/events etc. This is general discussion; even if u post something like that, its destined to be buried under tons of other 'meaningless' threads.

Khazrakh
06-12-2013, 04:52 AM
That's games nowadays. No matter what the game, no matter what the forum, you will always find more people discussing the business model than discussing the game itself. Sad...

We really don't have any problems with the community right now. Almost all people posting here are rather thoughtful and polite.
As a matter of fact there really is not much use in discussing decks/heroes right now as we still haven't seen half the set, don't know what the overall powerlevel will be and so on.

Voices
06-12-2013, 05:20 AM
That's why cze needs to divide the forums into themed subforums like decks/strategy, tournaments/events etc. This is general discussion; even if u post something like that, its destined to be buried under tons of other 'meaningless' threads.

Totally agree with this. A much more modern forum and a somewhat more active moderation would do wonders for this community. As for the KS stuff... Well, that will come up every now and then for the forseeable future. Some good suggestions in this and other threads to make it go away though. Am sure we will soon see something from CZE to address it.

Zzasikar
06-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Hmm, I can't think of any other game with millions of players where everyone complains constantly and yet both continue to play and throw money at anyway...*cough* LoL *cough* WoW *cough*

blitz1442
06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Not that it's a worthy topic, but to be back on topic - lots of games have things that were only available for a limited time. WoW expansion "Collector's Editions" spring to mind, usually with an exotic vanity pet I think? Only thing that ever did was encourage people to jump on the next xpac CE. If RL does stack, I can see the +1 card being in high demand. +100% loot is only going to be dungeons, so I'm thinking most of that benefit will generate commons and uncommons, meaning you won't be at much of an advantage after all.

blitz1442
06-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Totally agree with this. A much more modern forum and a somewhat more active moderation would do wonders for this community. As for the KS stuff... Well, that will come up every now and then for the forseeable future. Some good suggestions in this and other threads to make it go away though. Am sure we will soon see something from CZE to address it.

+1 for a modern forum. This one's pretty janky. At the very least some karma/points/thumbs to filter out the trolling of new players. With threads moving as fast as they are, a lot of terrible advice has been buried that searches will turn up indefinitely, with no way of down rating the trolls except to necro the thread.

Blowfeld
06-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Here is the thing:

Instead of filling the forums with floods of tears or getting their torches ready, the "other 99%" should kiss the kickstarter's feet (figuratively) for these reasons:
Te kickstarters not only helped funding, so the endproduct will be even more amazing more quickly, but also they will spam the AH with tons of super cheap common and uncommon cards, the late bloomers can aqquire for a smile and a shoeshine.

So, "qq"ing about the advantages of Kickstarters just would show that one is a terrible person who does think from here to the tip of his / her nose...

jgsugden
06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
There are some minor PvP 'advantages', such as free cards. You have more cards from which to build constructed decks and you get more opportunities to practice limited deck building. However, this is minor, and one could argue that it will take a long time before someone that paid $500 for their Kickstarter and someone that just spends $500 cash at release will be able to notice a difference in their available packs.

For all we know, the game will collapse in 6 months when only the kickstarters play and there is no substantial ongoing cash infusion, so I hink we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Tyrfang
06-12-2013, 06:26 AM
You know, the collector's edition of WoW (original from 2004) at one point was worth $200 because of the key for a mini diablo pet? :)

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 06:29 AM
There are some minor PvP 'advantages', such as free cards. You have more cards from which to build constructed decks and you get more opportunities to practice limited deck building. However, this is minor, and one could argue that it will take a long time before someone that paid $500 for their Kickstarter and someone that just spends $500 cash at release will be able to notice a difference in their available packs.

For all we know, the game will collapse in 6 months when only the kickstarters play and there is no substantial ongoing cash infusion, so I hink we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Only for a few months. Once set 2 and 3 enter the scene (and they do block tournaments) it will no longer be any advantage at all.

And drafting there is no advantage. So in reality there is no advantage, as anything a KS person has for PvP reasons someone else could too. Just need to actually go acquire it or actually buy cards, kinda like a TCG... oh wait!

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 06:36 AM
I think they'll forgive us when they realize they wouldn't be playing hex if we didn't get all dem goodies.

Its not like this is the only game where ppl who come late or didn't back are going to be disappointed.

Screw em, they didn't get in on it early and help make the game better in the production phase.

Baigan
06-12-2013, 06:47 AM
+1 for a modern forum. This one's pretty janky. At the very least some karma/points/thumbs to filter out the trolling of new players. With threads moving as fast as they are, a lot of terrible advice has been buried that searches will turn up indefinitely, with no way of down rating the trolls except to necro the thread.

Yeah, this. I'm a very social gamer and having a lackluster forum is meh. :|

Stok3d
06-12-2013, 07:08 AM
You know, the collector's edition of WoW (original from 2004) at one point was worth $200 because of the key for a mini diablo pet? :)

Do you know I sold an unopened Vanilla CE this year for $3995 on ebay? :)

Those that get in early will have special perks--Just like WoW. WoW could get some original mounts that are now retired as well as a CE that is HIGHLY valuable and sought after. Am I jealous having started WoW in 2007? Yes--never got the retired mounts. However, the diehards will probably find a way to get that Pro Tier / GK or w/e if they feel the really NEED IT.

I mean... I got a vanilla CE myself for the pets and had to pay 4fig for. However, as long as I've played WoW I've never seen an original Mount in game. If we get a million+ on this game, ppl will obviously be jealous of us. However, it's not something that's going to make a difference in their lives and won't make a difference of them playing because they don't get that one free draft a week.

Fleckenwhatever
06-12-2013, 07:17 AM

We don't know enough about the game to meaningfully discuss it. Would you rather endless threads of speculation? The conduct of the Kickstarter and the state of the community are things we can measure and observe. Building decks when we know just over half the cards is a pointless exercise.

Shadowelf
06-12-2013, 07:22 AM
But there is no way for ppl to tell whether ur a kickstarter backer or not; Wow had mounts, hex's equivalant to mounts will be the mercenaries ?

Fleckenwhatever
06-12-2013, 07:24 AM
But there is no way for ppl to tell whether ur a kickstarter backer or not; Wow had mounts, hex's equivalant to mounts will be the mercenaries ?

Sleeves. In PvP, that will be the only way for people to know. To be fair, I can't tell you how many games of cards I've won due to having cooler sleeves than my opponent, but I have to assume it's non-zero.

Tyrfang
06-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Those that get in early will have special perks--Just like WoW. WoW could get some original mounts that are now retired as well as a CE that is HIGHLY valuable and sought after. Am I jealous having started WoW in 2007? Yes--never got the retired mounts. However, the diehards will probably find a way to get that Pro Tier / GK or w/e if they feel the really NEED IT.

I mean... I got a vanilla CE myself for the pets and had to pay 4fig for. However, as long as I've played WoW I've never seen an original Mount in game. If we get a million+ on this game, ppl will obviously be jealous of us. However, it's not something that's going to make a difference in their lives and won't make a difference of them playing because they don't get that one free draft a week.

I wonder if I can sell my old WoW account for money still >_>;

$3500 is nuts. I'm pretty sure you can get a fully geared account with tons of alts all max level for under $1000...

I used to raid. A guildmate lucked out and got the Zulian Tiger during one of them, back in Vanilla. I probably still have unarmored mounts on my Lvl 60 Night Elf from Vanilla.

Gwaer
06-12-2013, 09:02 AM

I have every collector edition up to cata, and all the original mounts =/ I wonder if i could sell me account. I haven't played in ages.

dogmod
06-12-2013, 09:10 AM
I have every collector edition up to cata, and all the original mounts =/ I wonder if i could sell me account. I haven't played in ages.

You coulda been a producer!

Shadowelf
06-12-2013, 09:37 AM

If wow CEs sell for that much, and u aren't playing, i'm wondering what are u waiting for. They won't be selling for as much for ever

Shepherd74
06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
What if the kickstarter had not succeeded? Would they have been able to finish it? Would anyone at all be able to play it with nearly as many features as soon as we will be able to? CZE asked for help funding the game. I don't know about everyone else but I didn't receive a secret encoded message for me alone. It was a public request. There was a guy dressed in drag shooting clowns. On the Internet. Not exactly low profile.

All of these posts where people are taking positions about what amounts to a closed issue of company policy are just idle conjecture. We can only hope the game has a million players. And we can only hope that they play the game because it's a fun game. Not because they feel they have an entitled right to stuff.

I for one feel gratitude to all of my fellow kickstarter folks. The PPs, the collectors, and the squires. Six years from now flash me the backer sign and this is one RL that will be happy to help you out.

facade
06-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Another aspect to this discussion is that there will likely be other exclusive events. Now CZE has promised they will never duplicate the kickstarter rewards, but this isn't to stop them from offering special cards at Christmas, or access to a dungeon limited to just a month. In fact, as they add more features, there might be account bound perks given out. For example, when Keep Defense comes out, they might give active players a unique Keep upgrade or an account bound perk that boosts rewards from Keep Defense. There will likely always be cards/equipment/stuff that current players will earn that will cause players years later to be jealous.

I feel the kickstarter perks are a fair privilege to thank players that are with the game before the game even exists.

Madican
06-12-2013, 10:44 AM

$3500 is nuts. I'm pretty sure you can get a fully geared account with tons of alts all max level for under $1000...

I used to raid. A guildmate lucked out and got the Zulian Tiger during one of them, back in Vanilla. I probably still have unarmored mounts on my Lvl 60 Night Elf from Vanilla.

The unarmored mounts might get a fair chunk of change, but otherwise you need to have max level alts + highest level raid gear to have a chance of selling the account for over $200. I got offered $90 for mine and I've got Classic stuff too.

Lunarath
06-12-2013, 10:54 AM
After the first set, the advantage backers has will get much less very fast

calisk
06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
they shouldn't be really...

the only real pvp advantage players will have is the cards( which anyone who pays 250 dollars can likely will have access to as well ), and a bonus draft a week. no physical adavantage in pvp, if you go to pve then that's really a solo/friend experience anyway, and the advanatges others have should not effect you.

Stok3d
06-12-2013, 04:02 PM
If wow CEs sell for that much, and u aren't playing, i'm wondering what are u waiting for. They won't be selling for as much for ever

There were only 75,000 Vanilla CEs ever produced. There aren't many left that are floating around unredeemed. People want this on their account--not buying an account with it :/

The trouble with buying an account (and this will probably be the same for this game) is that the original owner can get the account back into their hands at any time by simply calling Customer Service, sending a copy of your driver's license, and maybe answering a few questions.

If you'd have quit in say TBC, then that was before chieves hit. There would then be a slight chance that someone could transfer one of your chars to their own account, learn the mounts (as they used to not be learned), and take them for themselves.

I'm sure you could get money for your account... but I've never bought/sold one. I wouldn't sell an account like that if I were you though. I dunno. My account is actually 5x, with every TCG/CE/Blizzcon Item every created, I have 298x mounts, and 45x chars lvl 85+ with full profs etc. I still wouldn't ever sell it--but I did sell my 4.875mil gold a couple weeks ago before I quit. I wouldn't sell the account though if I were you.

I probably still have unarmored mounts on my Lvl 60 Night Elf from Vanilla.

Now if you didn't upgrade those mounts to the armored ones... your account is worth a lot. Someone will buy that and try to get those mounts learned on their account.

BTW: Noone questioned what I stated, but look at my Oct 2012 sales here and you will see the sale I was stating: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=stok3d&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=3&page=1

(I bought it for $1000 a few months prior and used those profits to buy all the TCG/CE stuff I didn't own)

Back on Track with Hex though--I wonder what ppl are going to be talking about with account values 10 years from now :)

RdaCHAN
06-12-2013, 04:06 PM

This is EXACTLY, what I will say.

mydragoon
06-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Sleeves. In PvP, that will be the only way for people to know. To be fair, I can't tell you how many games of cards I've won due to having cooler sleeves than my opponent, but I have to assume it's non-zero.

just wanna say... your avatar/ profile photo is cool!! :D

Chemosh
06-14-2013, 04:34 AM
if i was cze i woul give them a card with no functions that simply is 2 arms entertwined called "hug"

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 04:41 AM
There were only 75,000 Vanilla CEs ever produced. There aren't many left that are floating around unredeemed.

Wow i can only imagine how much a gk/dl will fetch, if hex ever has half of wow's success.