PDA

View Full Version : Starter deck selection

Ju66ernaut
06-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Following the kickstarter, some folks will have a plethora of starter decks at their disposal. Some people may have twelve or more starter decks. Would you want an even spread across the 4 races? Would you like all of them to match in hopes of getting a more fleshed out sampling of a particular race? Will you open one of each race then flip the rest on the AH? Are you drawn to a particular race and why? What would you like to do?

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Following the kickstarter, some folks will have a plethora of starter decks at their disposal. Some people may have twelve or more starter decks. Would you want an even spread across the 4 races? Would you like all of them to match in hopes of getting a more fleshed out sampling of a particular race? Will you open one of each race then flip the rest on the AH? Are you drawn to a particular race and why? What would you like to do?

Do we know they are going to be race based? I know they said those starters will be uni-colored, which means it could still follow a race, but some races (humans for example) have a good spread amongst ruby, sapphire, and diamond.

Icepick
06-12-2013, 05:21 AM
I guess it depends on how many starter decks there actually are. Some people might have 12 starter deck "tokens", but I very much doubt there will actually be 12 different starters - most TCG's only have 4, in my experience!
My guess is that the starters we'll see will be a Wild/Blood Shin'hare deck doing what the Shin'hare do best, a Necrotic deck (maybe Blood/Diamond?) with lots of control aspects, A human Diamond/Sapphire deck based around defence/healing and inspiration, and an Orc-themed aggro deck with Ruby and something else.

I doubt any of the cards in the starters will be worth very much on the AH due to the shear quantity of them that will be available, so I'll probably just keep all of them for my collection. As for which one I'll be using, I'll be going with the Dragon's Blood deck from the Kickstarter, because Dragons :D

Ju66ernaut
06-12-2013, 05:26 AM
I guess it depends on how many starter decks there actually are. Some people might have 12 starter deck "tokens", but I very much doubt there will actually be 12 different starters - most TCG's only have 4, in my experience! :D

There will be four decks available to select from at launch.

Willzyx
06-12-2013, 05:27 AM
There will be four decks available to select from at launch.

Source?

Spartoi
06-12-2013, 05:33 AM
I guess it depends on how many starter decks there actually are. Some people might have 12 starter deck "tokens", but I very much doubt there will actually be 12 different starters - most TCG's only have 4, in my experience!
My guess is that the starters we'll see will be a Wild/Blood Shin'hare deck doing what the Shin'hare do best, a Necrotic deck (maybe Blood/Diamond?) with lots of control aspects, A human Diamond/Sapphire deck based around defence/healing and inspiration, and an Orc-themed aggro deck with Ruby and something else.

I doubt any of the cards in the starters will be worth very much on the AH due to the shear quantity of them that will be available, so I'll probably just keep all of them for my collection. As for which one I'll be using, I'll be going with the Dragon's Blood deck from the Kickstarter, because Dragons :D

If they do 4 race decks, I doubt they will go Necrotic. I swear I remember hearing somewhere that set 1 will be mostly Dwarf, Shin'hare, Human, and Orc. That being said, I could see a Sapphire Dwarf, Emerald Shin'hare, Diamond Human, and Ruby Orc (sorry Blood).

Icepick
06-12-2013, 05:36 AM
If they do 4 race decks, I doubt they will go Necrotic. I swear I remember hearing somewhere that set 1 will be mostly Dwarf, Shin'hare, Human, and Orc. That being said, I could see a Sapphire Dwarf, Emerald Shin'hare, Diamond Human, and Ruby Orc (sorry Blood).

Yeah you're right, I was just working it out and Orcs only have Blood and Ruby, which means that would be 3 Bloods - unlikely! So instead of the Necrotic I mentioned, it will probably be a Dwarf Sapphire/Ruby deck.

hammer
06-12-2013, 05:43 AM
These starter decks are going to be worth peanuts. I fully expect each to be less than $5 on the secondary market.

Firstly the number of starter decks issued via the Kickstarter is huge.
Secondly the contents of the starter deck will all be Set1 PVP cards which will be flooded from Kickstarter Boosters.

If the price of buying all individual cards contained within the starter decks is less than the secondary price of the starter deck then the price will fall as demand will be very low.

Only hope is if the starter decks contain a highly playable legendary, but again the sheer volume of product both booster and starter decks will drop the price to sub $5 per starter on the secondary market.

I will have 8 starters from the kickstarter, I will try and sell them and will consider myself lucky if I get $40 for the lot.

jai151
06-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Yeah you're right, I was just working it out and Orcs only have Blood and Ruby, which means that would be 3 Bloods - unlikely! So instead of the Necrotic I mentioned, it will probably be a Dwarf Sapphire/Ruby deck.

They will all be mono-color. It was stated with the release of the exclusive KS starter that it was the only dual-color starter deck.

Malicus
06-12-2013, 05:54 AM
I really hope of them is bunny wild - I really wanna play me some bunnies and not having to open too many boosters to get that deck running suits me fine.

Icepick
06-12-2013, 05:54 AM
They will all be mono-color. It was stated with the release of the exclusive KS starter that it was the only dual-color starter deck.

Oh, right. That's odd, never seen a game go with a full set of mono-themed starters before. Looks like all my guesses are wrong then!

jai151
06-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Oh, right. That's odd, never seen a game go with a full set of mono-themed starters before. Looks like all my guesses are wrong then!

Well, during one of the Twitch streams, someone asked if there were any multicolor cards, and the answer was "Not for Set 1." Without multicolor cards, multicolor decks are a bit harder to give to people, I mean look at all the multi decks in MTG: DotP, some are almost exclusively gold cards.

From what they've indicated, they're really trying to keep the first set as introductory as they can to let people get in and get acclimated without being overwhelmed. Then they can start to get into crazier stuff in set 2 and beyond.

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 06:25 AM

Again they said in a stream NONE of their starter decks (outside the dragon one, and later sets) will be bi-color. They are all unicolor

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 06:26 AM
I will probably want to acquire a 2nd set of each starter (including the KS exclusive) This shall be fun!