PDA

View Full Version : Drafting 101 - A daily article on hextcgpro.com

jtatta
06-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Are you new to drafting and want some basic guidelines to follow? Well we have just the article for you! Check out what Steve Utter has to say about his first drafting experience many years ago and some guidelines to follow in your first draft!

http://hextcgpro.com/?p=518

Tathel
06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Good overview, will there be follow ups going into more detail on the topics. I'm particularly interested in learning more about managing mana curve in draft, as well as some of the effects stuff like 5[DD] has vs mtgs WW3.

If i am understanding hex correctly in hex you could play a 5[DD] followed by a 1[D] if you had 2D4B resource?
in MTG you can't play WW3 followed by W if you only have 2 land generating W.

Plaga
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM
If i am understanding hex correctly in hex you could play a 5[DD] followed by a 1[D] if you had 2D4B resource?

Assuming you are using only basic resources (hence you have 6 mana), yes, you can. I make that clarification since gems in the table and mana are not always 1:1 (take spectral lotus, for instance)

snarvid
06-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Positive comment: nice intro to drafting.
Neutral: maybe something about getting a sustained advantage under tricks / removal / bombs? The Control Magic removal example is strong due to 1 card spent removes a threat from opponent and gives you a threat. The Charge combat trick example where a card is spent to preserve a 2/2 against a 2/2 example doesn't make it clear to MTG players that don't know what Charge does off the top of their heads that its a permanent +1/+1.
Negative comment: quite =/= quiet
Question: anyone know about presence of mercenaries in draft?

Tathel
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Question: anyone know about presence of mercenaries in draft?

Mercs are PvE only. That being said I suppose there is the potential for them to intro a PvE rules draft where you could use equipment or mercs. Although i dunno if there would be much call.

verozo
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Really a good read for draft beginners like me, thanks!

Plaga
06-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Mercs are PvE only. That being said I suppose there is the potential for them to intro a PvE rules draft where you could use equipment or mercs. Although i dunno if there would be much call.
I think he's talking about champions, and it's a good question. I'll assume you can pick any of the pvp ones.

Rtsands45
06-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I was kind of disappointed by the article. I prefer to draft by the B.R.E.A.D. principle. Where the preceding letter has higher priority over the letters after it. BREAD stands for Bombs, Removal, Evasion, Average, and Dregs. Simple words can help newer players remember how to balance their deck.

The author did hit some major points about maintaining a resource curve. In mtg we have a general rule of a deck should be 40% resources which would translate in a draft to be 23 cards 17 resources and you can +- that depending on the top of your curve and game mechanics. Similarly a 60 card deck would have 24 lands also depending on where your curve tops out at.

Also, he should have talked more in depth about maintaining around two colors for a draft. Sometimes three is alright, but only as a splash. Having 8 Ruby, 8 Diamond, and 7 Blood playables you will probably not go very far in the draft as more than likely you will have only 2 of the 3 resources in play and have your hand clogged with unplayables.

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Your articles are an enjoyable read but for me personally the editing needs to be more than just spellcheck...

Just a couple of instances

My opponent went on to win the draft and he did so quiet easily. (quite)

This rule is forgotten about quiet often by new drafters. (quite)

What happens when you opponent plays a troop that you cannot kill by blocking? (your)

Tathel
06-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Also, he should have talked more in depth about maintaining around two colors for a draft. Sometimes three is alright, but only as a splash. Having 8 Ruby, 8 Diamond, and 7 Blood playables you will probably not go very far in the draft as more than likely you will have only 2 of the 3 resources in play and have your hand clogged with unplayables.

I don't know that this will be as true with threshold vs land. With set 1 I don't that the cards support 3 colour, but I think 3 colour draft has the potential to be useable in draft. Since if you only have 1 S resource and are flooded with B you can still cast multiple 1 threshold S cards.

you can still get screwed with a all red hand and only blue green resources. But it removes certain issues,

Like playing a red blue green deck where your only creature in hand is blue, but you have something like mana leak in hand.
so do you want to throw it down or hold it so you can play your counter? well in hex as long as your total resource number supports both you are ok.

I think this does enough that it pushes situations where you feel comfortable splashing into being able to straight up 3 colour if the cards you are getting passed seem worth it. Might be good to pick 1 colour and take 2 threshold cards only in it and 1 threshold in the others and slant mana to the main colour.

madar
06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I think he's talking about champions, and it's a good question. I'll assume you can pick any of the pvp ones.

if i remember well, there will be 5 different premade champions which from you can choose in pvp

Voices
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
I agree with previous posters about spelling issues and that sentences such as "The advantage you have in drafting is that you understand the pool of cards you have a chance to get cards from ahead of time." should not be able to slip through. However, it is a 101, so it is of course meant to be basic and adding a lot of alternatives (such as, for instance, the above-mentioned BREAD) might not be the best way to go about it.

As it is stated in the article:

"In the future we are going to have a ton of articles on drafting, articles that tackle much more in depth subjects on drafting techniques, strategy and combinations. For this article though we are going with the basics that every new drafter should know and pay attention for."

However, if this is meant to be a site that is meant to be PRO, you guys should have some PRO editors too :)

Rtsands45
06-12-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't know that this will be as true with threshold vs land. With set 1 I don't that the cards support 3 colour, but I think 3 colour draft has the potential to be useable in draft. Since if you only have 1 S resource and are flooded with B you can still cast multiple 1 threshold S cards.

you can still get screwed with a all red hand and only blue green resources. But it removes certain issues,

Like playing a red blue green deck where your only creature in hand is blue, but you have something like mana leak in hand.
so do you want to throw it down or hold it so you can play your counter? well in hex as long as your total resource number supports both you are ok.

I think this does enough that it pushes situations where you feel comfortable splashing into being able to straight up 3 colour if the cards you are getting passed seem worth it. Might be good to pick 1 colour and take 2 threshold cards only in it and 1 threshold in the others and slant mana to the main colour.

What you have to realize is that you have two threshholds to reach. One is the basic color threshold, and the second is the cost threshhold. By having 40% resources your deck on an average draw your deck should be able to play 4 drops on turn four. There have been many statistical breakdowns in mtg theory of 15, 16, 17, 18 lands and how likely you are to have x resources by y turns. In MTG standard I play esper control. I want to cast my Supreme Verdict, which destroys all creatures, on turn 4, so I play 27 lands in my 60 card deck that is 45% resources to pretty much guarantee that I hit that 4th land drop not to mention my 5th and 6th.

As I stated in a previous post, the numbers can be fudged depending on your cost curve, however 17 resources 23 "spells" is the general rule. I reiterate its about the ability to hit your higher drops more consistently than your opponent if they were playing a 15 resource and 25 "spell" ratio. Also, the 17:23 ratio leads to less mulligans overall than being greedy with the resource curve.

jtatta
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Currently, we just have 1.5 editors and a web manager tackling things. Once WoW Nationals are over this weekend we'll have more hands on deck and small things won't slip through the cracks (Not making excuses, just stating what we're working with). As usual, thank you all for reading daily and we hope you continue to check us out.

Concerning more complex strategies, we'll definitely have articles for that as well. This was meant to be a beginners guide as we've noticed many backers for HEX have limited to no draft experience. :)

Edit: Also fixed the quiet =/= quite on the article. I proofread the authors work but clearly missed that. Thanks!

snarvid
06-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Yeah, I never know the right terms. I thought champs were the classes (warlock, cleric, etc) and mercs were Mooof and etc.

The question was whether they are in draft (I assume yes as the resource system is balanced around them), whether you have to draft for them, and/or when/if you get to pick. Picking a champ to match your drafted deck would allow interesting amount of control over your finished product.

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
if i remember well, there will be 5 different premade champions which from you can choose in pvp

http://hextcg.com/game/champion/

"There are 20 champions to choose from in the PVP set alone, so you’ll always be able to find the perfect champion for your deck."

Tathel
06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
What you have to realize is that you have two threshholds to reach. One is the basic color threshold, and the second is the cost threshhold. By having 40% resources your deck on an average draw your deck should be able to play 4 drops on turn four. There have been many statistical breakdowns in mtg theory of 15, 16, 17, 18 lands and how likely you are to have x resources by y turns. In MTG standard I play esper control. I want to cast my Supreme Verdict, which destroys all creatures, on turn 4, so I play 27 lands in my 60 card deck that is 45% resources to pretty much guarantee that I hit that 4th land drop not to mention my 5th and 6th.

As I stated in a previous post, the numbers can be fudged depending on your cost curve, however 17 resources 23 "spells" is the general rule. I reiterate its about the ability to hit your higher drops more consistently than your opponent if they were playing a 15 resource and 25 "spell" ratio. Also, the 17:23 ratio leads to less mulligans overall than being greedy with the resource curve.

I'm not saying the amount of resource total will be different.

I'm saying that in low threshold decks for hex you only need one of any particular type of resource to be able to play X amount of 1 threshold cards using it.

So if you are playing a low threshold deck those 4 resources can be utilized for their colour effect multiple times.
I think this is enough that in certain types of decks three colour becomes more viable.

There is still the situation that your hand is heavy red and you only have blue and green resources. But mulligan that hand if it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Being able to
turn 1 - play forest in your all green hand, play 1 drop
turn 2 - play island in your all green hand, play another 1 drop and still be able to gaint growth the first.

works in all decks, but the advantage of that increases with uncertainty about ever drawing another forest.

I could see drafting shin'hare (where you have a lot of green) you would want to be able to play multiple green cards on a turn. but also they are cheap and i think low threshold?

so if you can be confident that turn 4 or so you are able to play 2 at once as long as you have 1 green resource you might not be so annoyed at only drawing islands and mountains after opening hand.

I'm not sure if this example holds up because i don't know how well red blue would combo with shin'hare, but maybe a shin'hare/inspire green black red low threshold using burn and murder to control while the green shin'hare populate?

It seems to me though that splashing a colour is probably not advantageous over just using the colour if the cards you have warrant it. (obviously still completely the right choice if the cards you see happen to lean heavily toward 2 primary colours)

Since it's draft it depends on what you get and what is available in the many cards we haven't seen but i feel that playing 3 colour is less punishable with what we've seen.

jtatta
06-12-2013, 09:59 AM
I completely agree that drafting three color decks with the way that the resource system works in HEX is much easier to accomplish than it was in MTG. As long as your third color has very low threshold requirements it shouldn't be a stretch. The downside still remains that you actually need to draw all three resource types, however you don't really need to draw two or more of each type like you did in MTG to play all your spells.

whythelastman
06-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for posting, will check out the site more in-depth.