PDA

View Full Version : How does Unique work?

Malicus
06-12-2013, 07:31 AM
I was obsessing over some of the spoiled cards and playing with the deck builder when an interesting hand came up in my first draw. http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=236 3 copies of Uzume which is tagged Unique, now either I am building my deck wrong because I can only put one in or I can only have one in play.

Assuming I can have as many as I want in my deck the question then becomes, can I use the reveal feature from all 3?

Gen91
06-12-2013, 07:35 AM
In one the gameplay videos the player had the same unique at least 2 times in his deck,
so thats possible.
Also you can have one in play and one in your graveyard,
but I'm not sure what happens if you want to play a second unique, if it is impossible, or if both just die.

Icepick
06-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Not sure how the reveal power will work in this specific case, as I'm sure there are arguements for it to go either way, but in general, Unique means you can only have 1 of them in play at a time, but you may have up to 4 in your deck as normal.
In one of the twitch tv games, the guy playing had a unique out, sent him out to attack and was killed by a blocker, and then he played another copy of the same guy from his hand.

jai151
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
You can have 4 copies of a unique in your deck, but only one can be in play. You should be able to do the reveal on any that are in your opening hand, but I cannot say that for certain.

MatWith1T
06-12-2013, 07:37 AM
You can have 4 in your deck, but you can only have one in play at a time.
So yes, if you have more than one in your opening hand, you can reveal them all.
But if you have one in play and play a 2nd one, one will be destroyed.

Avedecus
06-12-2013, 07:39 AM
But if you have one in play and play a 2nd one, one will be destroyed.

Is this confirmed?

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 07:40 AM
If the rules are anything like MtG then you can also play the same unique as your opponent and they will destroy eachother. It most likely is the same as the legendary rule for MtG

Malicus
06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
That't what I thought - now the question is would you mulligan a 4 Uzume draw or not - on the one hand 4 creatures before your first turn - on the other 4 cards that aren't likely to be played any time soon and battle hoppers are quite limited on their own. I think it would probably make me cry but I would have to mulligan.

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Is this confirmed?

Yes. I am sure somewhere on the site is even an explanation on unique. And was explained on the stream. If a second of the same unique is played. The first gets destroyed.

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Since Uzume costs 7 I would not be keeping a hand with that high of a curve Unique or not

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Yes. I am sure somewhere on the site is even an explanation on unique. And was explained on the stream. If a second of the same unique is played. The first gets destroyed.

Both get destroyed not just one...

Avedecus
06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
If the rules are anything like MtG then you can also play the same unique as your opponent and they will destroy eachother. It most likely is the same as the legendary rule for MtG

This is unlikely, as almost every other TCG does not utilize that mechanic and even Magic is ending their use of it.

Tathel
06-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Actually I believe they just changed this with 2014 so that this no longer happens and two can exist in play as long as they are controlled by different players

Malicus
06-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Hmm follow up question - can a pre-mulligan hand be considered an opening hand or is it not an opening hand until all mulligan is resolved. I know I am being greedy but imagine that miracle day when you pull 4 Uzume put your tokens into play then mulligan for a 3 wild, militia runts and commander draw :P 7 1/2 a 2/3 able to attack on turn 3 :)

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Hmm follow up question - can a pre-mulligan hand be considered an opening hand or is it not an opening hand until all mulligan is resolved. I know I am being greedy but imagine that miracle day when you pull 4 Uzume put your tokens into play then mulligan for a 3 wild, militia runts and commander draw :P 7 1/2 a 2/3 able to attack on turn 3 :)

The opening hand isn't counted for until after all mulligans have been completed.

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 07:49 AM
True. I guess we will have to wait and see... This rule change in MtG was created because of Jace from my understanding to use 3 mana Jace as removal and drop your own Jace 2.0? So far in hex we don`t have different variations of the same Unique card so I wonder what the rule will be

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Both get destroyed not just one...

This was true for magic, but other CZE card games always have the "replace rule" where a new unique/legendary replaced the previous one.

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 07:52 AM
This was true for magic, but other CZE card games always have the "replace rule" where a new unique/legendary replaced the previous one.

I cant wait to study the rules about as much as I cant wait to just play the game!

Diesbudt
06-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Hex main site, go to card over view. Read the "restriction" part

Unique - each player may only have 1 of that particular card in play. Any others must be immediately sent to the graveyard. (as in if another is put into play, previous one goes bye bye)

Tathel
06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Hex main site, go to card over view. Read the "restriction" part

Unique - each player may only have 1 of that particular card in play. Any others must be immediately sent to the graveyard. (as in if another is put into play, previous one goes bye bye)

I wonder if you use "control target permanent" To take an opponents If it auto destroys your current one or if you can choose which will be destroyed (I believe in the new magic rule you can choose)

As it is written it sounds like it will automatically nuke your own since it reads 'others' and not itself or the others

BossHoss
06-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Thx for the clarification...