PDA

View Full Version : Champions: Race / Class -> Color Pie?

snarvid
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
So... I don't understand champions. What attribute of the champion determines which part of the color pie their abilities come from?

When you search for, say, warlock cards in the database, their abilities are drawn from the color pie selection of their threshold, which appears to be determined by race and not class. The three necrotic warlocks require blood resource and have traditional black MtG abilities of fear, life drain, and graveyard manipulation, ruby warlock has red abilities of haste and non-blocking, sapphire has blue ability of card draw. I recognize that deck cards =/= champions, but many (all?) champion charge abilities are dependent on having a threshold so they still have color pie aspects. Will the PVP champs have racially determined color pie affinities?

The PVE customization component of champions is apparently more focused on class than race ("Your champion will increase in power as they reach the various talent tiers. Every 10 levels (starting at level 10), you’ll choose from three different talents unique to your class.") So does race play a role in the powers granted to PVE champions?

P.S. Midnight shepherd is listed on its card as a necrotic cleric and listed as the appropriate title for necrotic warlocks here (http://hextcg.com/game/champion/). Should probably pick one or the other.

nearlysober
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Not sure I entirely understand the phrasing of your entire question... seems like there's two questions?:
1. Does race impact the skills available to classes?
2. Does race/class impact the color options of your PvE deck?

As far as I'm aware, neither item is entirely known at this time. Very little of PvE has been revealed so far.

For example, we have seen that certain levels will give your class ability cards. Will those cards be of a neutral threshold? Not sure... it would be nice to provide more flexibility in the deck you build.

Icepick
06-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I think this (http://hextcg.com/creating-and-gearing-up-your-character/) does the best job of showing PvE character progression. As far as I know, your choice of race has no practical effect on your character with regards to what cards can and cannot be used (ie, there are no limitations), though it does affect story elements.
As for PvP Champions, one would assume that thematically the races of those characters would match at least one of the shards that their race is a part of, but that is largely a cosmetic thing. Your choice of Champion doesn't restrict your deck in any way, and there is no reason they couldn't just change the race of a Champion and have no other changes.

snarvid
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
nearlysober - Yeah, both of those, plus more broadly I'm just wondering what the meaning of, say, "Warlock" is, when the troop cards labelled as Warlock all seem to have a spread of abilities drawn from their color pie (and race) and not something Warlock consistent.

Icepick - The charge abilities of Gozzog the necrotic warrior the Poca the Conflagrater have threshold costs, so it does restrict your deck, at least a little. Maybe not in the PVE stuff you show, though.

snarvid
06-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Non-KS related thread bump.

Erebus
06-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I think that might be more thematic then anything else for the two examples on the web page.

Charge Bot for example just charges your champions. And Each Resource also charges your champion (this is in addition to adding threshold and Mana). As far as I can tell, charge powers are independent of threshold requirements.

Cory has said multiple times that he doesn't want to restrict deck construction. So Race/Class Combos connect to specific shards is probably not gonna happen. And all the talent cards can be neutral (ala Black Tiger).

EDIT: Reading closer looks like I was wrong about the Charge power.... so now my world is in Chaos.

JoB3nder
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
It does seem like charge powers require threshold. But with 20 different PvP champions at launch (presumably 4 per shard), and the ability to splash into a single threshold, we still have a lot of options.

SomeoneRandom
06-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I am hoping that champion charge powers do take some threshold. Although it won't add too much variety, if they took no threshold I think every deck would play one of 3-4 champions, at least with threshold you will probably see 10ish champions played.

That being said, where have you seen charge powers of all the combos? I only have seen the ones they have used on stream.

Erebus
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
http://hextcg.com/game/champion/

Implies that PVP champions charge power is colored locked.

Where as they don't imply anything for the PVE champion.