PDA

View Full Version : Latest JtH Video - Your Guide to Hexonomics

jaxsonbateman
06-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi folks,

With great pride I've uploaded my latest video, which is a concise yet detailed guide about how to initially acquire boosters in Hex in an effective manner, how to invest those boosters in order to increase their value and returns, and what to do with primal packs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-R_r36DPOw

I feel like this one has a lot of valuable information for those who haven't really thought about how they're going to go about tackling the PvP side of the game and the potential costs involved, and for people who want to stretch their budgets and boosters as far as possible. If you want to get as much product as possible for as little money as possible, this is probably the video for you.

Cheers,

Jax

Gwaer
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
You don't think getting legendary treasure chests out of primals should be a consideration when opening them? Could have sleeves, mercs, more primal packs. Who knows?!

Indormi
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
You don't think getting legendary treasure chests out of primals should be a consideration when opening them? Could have sleeves, mercs, more primal packs. Who knows?!

I told him just this some minutes ago. He made the video before the E3 stream so that information was not available at the moment.

Icepick
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, there's some good info in there if you're absolutely looking to maximise your returns, but it doesn't account for the treasure chest that comes in every booster, or the fact that those chest can contain further boosters. Not to mention the fun-factor involved in opening boosters :D
Still, a good video. I found the info on the returns for drafting especially interesting, so thanks!

Gwaer
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I told him just this some minutes ago. He made the video before the E3 stream so that information was not available at the moment.

We've always known about treasure chests in booster packs? That's not new information. I haven't even seen the E3 stream yet.

jaxsonbateman
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
I didn't know about primals having better treasure chests, so that has some potential - still, from a platinum/cash point of view, unless they can drop a further rare/legendary card at a decent rate I don't know if it'd impact the point of the video (which was the real money side of things). Though yeah, given how inconvenient it can be to work out the right minimum price for a primal, opening is definitely a fair option and I wouldn't say anyone is wrong for doing so.

As for the chests in normal boosters - it's my understanding that if you draft with them, they get put in your collection anyway so you're not missing out there. :-)

Gwaer
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
As for the chests in normal boosters - it's my understanding that if you draft with them, they get put in your collection anyway so you're not missing out there. :-)

That's correct, you should get whatever chest you open when you draft. Drafting is definitely the best option. If only there was primal drafting =(

Shadowelf
06-12-2013, 12:50 PM
If only there was primal drafting =(

There may be one if cze is willing, for example for double or triple the price of a normal draft plus higher entrance fee. Or they can do it as an event during Christmas for example or New year's eve.

funktion
06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
REALLY great video, my only comment is regarding the primal pack estimate value. My two points here are conflicting against eachother, but they are both factors...

-I would value the primal below 15 boosters. Boosters hold value not because of the cards in them (though the average price of rares will determine where a booster sits as you mentioned) but because they are the currency with which to pay for drafts. A primal cannot be used to draft. On a side note, how awesome would a "primal pack draft" be?

-Are the primal packs going to be filled like a typical booster? In such a way that you can't receive two copies of the same card, if that's the case then you have a higher chance to open a chase rare, but you will never open 2 of the same one at once. Not sure if that would really affect the value much.

Honestly though, the way you put it Jax was spot on... do what you want with it. Even the "EV player" in me still wants to open the primals just because it's like a christmas pressent.

Tathel
06-12-2013, 01:01 PM
It may also be better to sell primal packs depending on the ratio of people that are economy savvy.

I could see a % of people believing that buying primal packs is a good way to get rares and legendaries, and then not thinking about the value compared to simply buying 15 normal boosters.
It's possible that primal packs might be rare enough that those people form almost the entire economy of primal pack purchasers.

So we will have to wait and see what things can be sold for because as always if demand exists the price will not be based on purchasing logic but at the point of greatest return for the seller.

jaxsonbateman
06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
1. That's a fair point that, honestly, I didn't even pay heed to. >.< After all, if you look at a booster from a draft perspective, it's really 1.5 boosters worth (3 boosters to earn 1.5 boosters on average = 4.5 boosters from 3 boosters = 1.5 boosters). So effectively that would make a primal worth about 10 boosters. Still... sell it for 15 then! Mwahaha. Maximize profits and all that. :-P I actually don't know what I'll do with mine. The thought of opening a bunch of cards which are the hardest to get playsets of (being rares and legendaries) is very tempting, but there are also a few PvP cards I want to get before the PvE content is released, so selling it and then buying those singles might be better on that end.

2. Totally unsure at this stage. All we know is that a primal will contain only rares and legendaries (and a chest apparently :-P) - we have no idea if each slot will follow the same formula as a normal booster rare slot, or if legendaries will have a higher rate of appearance, or if we'll get double ups or anything like that. It's going to be a very useful thing to try and find out if we get access to any of them in the alpha (or heaven forbid, do some sampling with our own stocks in the beta).

dogmod
06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Didn't really hear you address selling of cards from draft to fund future drafts... Makes going infinite somewhat easier if still improbable..

jaxsonbateman
06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
That's a fair call - and yeah, that'd significantly lower your win requirement. Even if it reduces the rate of your collection growth over non-selling going infinite, going infinite at all is almost always going to be a good, profitable thing - and if it can be maintained you'll get precisely the collection level you're looking for.

Tathel
06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Didn't really hear you address selling of cards from draft to fund future drafts... Makes going infinite somewhat easier if still improbable..

I think when people say "infinite" they really mean, "not needing to pay for a finite time that is long enough to allow me to ignore the small restart purchases i'm making to maintain being infinite."

With the exception of the few high level pro's that actually do top 8 consistently ^_^

dogmod
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I think when people say "infinite" they really mean, "not needing to pay for a finite time that is long enough to allow me to ignore the small restart purchases i'm making to maintain being infinite."

With the exception of the few high level pro's that actually do top 8 consistently ^_^

Maybe they mean having 4 PP tiers... (which I don't have)

Lidralyn
06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Maybe they mean having 4 PP tiers... (which I don't have)

That is what makes the PP tiers so amazing. It is possible to to infinite without having any free drafts...but throwing in a couple of free ones makes it soon much easier!