PDA

View Full Version : @ Developers shitting on the PC as a platform

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
What the hell is it with the PC that these **** have a problem with?

Its by far the most adaptable open, powerful platform out there for anyone who can figure out how to put together or have a gaming pc commissioned, the games don't cost an arm n a leg.

I don't get it.

Why do developers shit on the PC all the time, when it is by a mile, the best platform for gaming.

Edited for language

MatWith1T
06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Beats using an XBox One. ZING!!

Plaga
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg/220px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png

Talreth
06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Who does? You mean the people releasing console exclusives?

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd post a picture of steam, but I think everyone knows what that is.

Piracy is akin to the 2ndary markets currently I doubt it really matters except to the business departments.

At best piracy is a serious problem for the smaller start ups.

primer
06-12-2013, 02:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg/220px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png

This imo. PC games are cracked before their release usually :(

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
This imo. PC games are cracked before their release usually :(

And console games are borrowed by everyone's friends.

Shadowelf
06-12-2013, 02:23 PM
The most obvious reason i can think of , is that if everything was available for pcs, nobody would buy consoles

primer
06-12-2013, 02:24 PM

Not any more if Microsoft gets their way.

Daer
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Console games are usually pirated long before PC games.

Plaga
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
But still get way better sale numbers. And there are a lot more pcs...

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 02:27 PM

Well thats because PCs are also professional tools used by people who have no interest in gaming.

So, you have something you can use for professional projects, and gaming...and can completely do them both... yet some how I know so very very few people whom own gaming pc rigs.

Don't get it.

Thrawn
06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
What exactly does this have to do with Hex other than "Hex is a PC game"?

Talreth
06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Well thats because PCs are also professional tools used by people who have no interest in gaming.

So, you have something you can use for professional projects, and gaming...and can completely do them both... yet some how I know so very very few people whom own gaming pc rigs.

Don't get it.

There's lots of console exclusives out there, and I think one reason for that is the fact that very few people own gaming pcs.

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
The biggest problem with PCs today is people still see them as some kind of magic box powered by fairies that only a trained brain surgeon can operate properly. I dont know how many people look at me like some kind of wizard because i built and maintain my own PC from scratch.

Meanwhile a console you plug into a wall and to the internet and bam it works. It only does 1/50th of what a pc can do but you dont have to mess with it.

Showsni
Consoles are always fixed specs. If you're designing a PS2 game, say, you know it's going to run on any PS2 out there, and you can optimise gameplay for that experience. If you're designing a PC game, you've then got people using all sorts of different machines. You need to try to cater to as wide a market as possible. Maybe some people only use keyboard and mouse whereas some have gamepads. Some people have less memory available, some have better graphics cards. Not to mention all the different OSs people could be running. You can't end up tailoring the game to any one specific machine, because people could have anything.

Tathel
If by PC you mean windows... I think the major problem developers have with windows is that it really isn't technically the best OS (IMO) just very popular.

Windows has changed but programatically it still allows or does many things that are outside of standards, So it is annoying to have to account for those things when porting code.

I think that developers who use and develop exclusively for windows don't hate it.

Developers who have to develop for Windows and Playstation or Windows and Mac, maybe unfairly get more annoyed at windows and have a tendency to forgive that annoyances of the others, Blaming Windows for not being like unix derived OSes rather than the other way around ^_^.

Talreth
06-12-2013, 02:31 PM
The biggest problem with PCs today is people still see them as some kind of magic box powered by fairies that only a trained brain surgeon can operate properly. I dont know how many people look at me like some kind of wizard because i built and maintain my own PC from scratch.

Meanwhile a console you plug into a wall and to the internet and bam it works. It only does 1/50th of what a pc can do but you dont have to mess with it.

I have my own gaming PC but someone else built it and they must have been a wizard because when something goes wrong I have no idea how to fix it. But I still use it.

Also my computer is broken right now, and I have no idea how to fix it. So I do in fact assume you are a wizard.

Madican
06-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Consoles are always fixed specs. If you're designing a PS2 game, say, you know it's going to run on any PS2 out there, and you can optimise gameplay for that experience. If you're designing a PC game, you've then got people using all sorts of different machines. You need to try to cater to as wide a market as possible. Maybe some people only use keyboard and mouse whereas some have gamepads. Some people have less memory available, some have better graphics cards. Not to mention all the different OSs people could be running. You can't end up tailoring the game to any one specific machine, because people could have anything.

This. When was the last time you had an issue with a console and it took you hours to find out the cause? Chance are there are tons of topics on the bug. For a PC though, it could be anything from your setup, your specs, the game itself, or any combination thereof before you even find out what the problem is, much less how to fix it.

Kerustyx
06-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Hi, post your source, mine say otherwise.

Also, the reasons devs shit on PC isn't because of lolpiracy, it's because DirectX and it's alternative OpenGL are an absolute pain in the ass. That's why developers look to consoles because hey guess what every console is the same, compared to the millions of possible hardware setups that PC provides.

Add in separate OS's and you practically have nothing short of a nightmare.

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 02:39 PM

The health of the PC platform and the way the developers market the PC to consumers matters for the user base of hex.

Thats my rinky dink explanation.

Voices
06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
If ever there was a need for sub-forums...

Kerustyx
06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
If people ventured outside of this sub-subforum they would find it.

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
I have my own gaming PC but someone else built it and they must have been a wizard because when something goes wrong I have no idea how to fix it. But I still use it.

Also my computer is broken right now, and I have no idea how to fix it. So I do in fact assume you are a wizard.

Do a little bit of research and apply a little bit of common sense and after a couple of days youll be able to fix it yourself. A computer is not a complicated piece of machinery at the level most people will be dealing with.

Hell 90% of the problems most people have with their system is all software related supidity like installing everything that asks to get installed and leaving it all run. I fixed a computer for some guy that said he had a virus. He had 4 thats FOUR antivirus programs installed and running on startup. Add in a low amount of ram and all the other useless programs he had set to boot and it took literally a half hour to startup.

Just about all the repairs ive done for friends or families has been me jamming in the disk and reformatting or just removing items from the boot list.

Kerustyx
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Pretty much what MasterN64 said. Also, buy a cheap ~$300 computer to screw around with. If you do something like delete your registry it won't matter (as much).

And then when you get really comfortable, install Gentoo!

funktion
06-12-2013, 02:54 PM
+1 Thrawn

Madican
06-12-2013, 02:55 PM
$300 is anything but cheap to me. Hell I'm weighing the purchase of a 3DS like I'm choosing between a room full of Holy Grails, and that's only about $200 when including the Circle Pad pro + a game.

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Pretty much what MasterN64 said. Also, buy a cheap ~$300 computer to screw around with. If you do something like delete your registry it won't matter (as much).

And then when you get really comfortable, install Gentoo!

It is literally nearly impossible to break computer hardware unless you do something REALLY stupid. The worst that can happen in a general user is messing up some software which you throw you windows disk in and reformat as a worst case scenario. This is an important thing to note as most companies that sell prebuilds dont like to give you a windows disk so you either have to contact their support to pay for one which you already own or send in the whole system for them to work on it. This along with them using inferior parts and general price gouging for high end systems is why i will NEVER buy a pre built system.

I learned on my current and only system at the time. It was a gateway astro. Think a really shitty imac knockoff. At the time me and my dad wanted to upgrade it and gateway said it couldnt be done.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

By the time we got rid of it it had a new CPU more than double the ram and a cd burner. We couldnt change anything else. That was our first and last prebuilt system.

cavench
06-12-2013, 03:03 PM
This thread just reminded me that I spent more on HEX than on my PC. Time to head down to the "KS Regrets" thread...

Madican
06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh my KS pledge was nowhere near what I built my PC for. Spent close to $900 and got my money's worth. Built it all myself too.

Kerustyx
06-12-2013, 03:11 PM
$300 is anything but cheap to me. Hell I'm weighing the purchase of a 3DS like I'm choosing between a room full of Holy Grails, and that's only about $200 when including the Circle Pad pro + a game.

You can build a PC without peripherals and windows for almost the same price as a 3DS.

@MasterN64

The last prebuilt system I owned failed a memtest 6 months into use. Turns out the RAM installed was the wrong frequency and practically fried itself. The store refused a refund because I took the case off, which apparently voids the warranty. GG. That was 13 years ago now.

Memories~

mainstager
06-12-2013, 03:36 PM
What does this thread have anything to do with Hex??

Miwa
06-12-2013, 03:41 PM
A blockbuster PC game sells nowhere even as close as many copies as a console game.

Also, the reasons devs shit on PC isn't because of lolpiracy, it's because DirectX and it's alternative OpenGL are an absolute pain in the ass. That's why developers look to consoles because hey guess what every console is the same, compared to the millions of possible hardware setups that PC provides.
Guess what gfx interface consoles use... DX (xbox), OGL (everything else). Consoles do have the bonus of a single hardware configuration, but they also require your game to make it through the certification process.

In the end, it's a simple dollars thing. Popular console games sell 10x as many units as PC games. At a higher MSRP.

DRawsm
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
so if someone did in fact want to learn how to do said things like reformatting pc/mac and building one yourself what sources would you suggest to learn such a magical skill

Random360
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Developers release bad games with no demos and when it doesn't sell well they blame piracy.

That's about it, really.

Kerustyx
06-12-2013, 04:09 PM
so if someone did in fact want to learn how to do said things like reformatting pc/mac and building one yourself what sources would you suggest to learn such a magical skill

Honestly, google is probably your best friend here.

I'd check out these sites:

http://www.anandtech.com/
http://www.tomshardware.com/
http://www.techpowerup.com/

These are mostly hardware orientated, but there is some good software stuff there.

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Replied a page earlier

I'm a time wizard.

PC is such a force for good in the world and for self empowerment, I don't know why it isn't the key entertainment system for consumers.

You have all media at your fingertips, education, vast amounts of social interaction, business advantages...

I think its like having your cake, and eating it too...but you also having the baker, and your own bakery.

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 04:37 PM

Because the majority if not all of the people playing here will be playing it with a pc. While the first post here was kinda off topic as far as a general hex thread goes its turned into a PC hardware/software thread.

That is why its related to hex.

Zomnivore
06-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I don't need much of an excuse to gripe about jerk off Developers who're willing to wine and dine this audience one moment and then bury it the next when they don't need it.

Its like, fine you don't want to grow this platform, I understand, but could you be less heartless dicks about it?

Honestly.

Watching the E3 event kind of sparked this one.