PDA

View Full Version : Hex on Tablets . . . suggestions?

Barborin
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I am getting very excited for Hex to release. In preparation, I am considering buying a tablet for both grad school, and to play Hex while I am between classes and whatnot. However, I have been very resistant to tablets over the last few years, and as a consequence I know very little about them. All I know is the general rule that I do not like Apple products.

Other than iPad, can any give me some suggestions on tablets which should run Hex, with some pros and cons?

Thanks.

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I would avoid Apple myself. Ive always loathed the Apple systems with their ITunes and Apple store BS. If it doesnt go through ITunes or the store you simply cant do it unless you crack the IOS. This is total BS.

Id say go for an Android tablet myself. Ive heard the best two you could get are the Galaxy 7 or 10 tablets and the Nexus 7 or 10 tablets. Do your research first though as im not a tablet expert.

Tyrfang
06-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Limited experience, here.

Nexus 10 has a great screen.

I have the Nexus 7 and it feels a bit small for me.

Marsden
06-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Retina iPad, no contest.

But wait on the assumption there'll be some new hardware coming in Fall.

XaosII
06-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I think you are better off getting a touchscreen, convertible laptop than a dedicated tablet.

DjiN
06-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Nexus 10

by no means iOS!

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
I think you are better off getting a touchscreen, convertible laptop than a dedicated tablet.

I also have to agree with this myself though the touchscreen and convertible part you could do without. Just a plain small laptop is much more useful than any tablet as it runs real windows. Just stay FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR away from netbooks. Netbooks are junk.

If your not getting something for ultra portable a laptop will always outdo a tablet. If you really want something ultra portable a smaller 7 inch or so tablet works well but be prepared for a somewhat limited amount of functionality.

Ali3nSan
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Note 8.0 :D

Hex + Stylus = Awesome

ShadowTycho
06-12-2013, 05:16 PM
dell makes a all-in-one pc thats basicly a tablet.
19 inch screen, up to 8gb of ram and like a 500 gig drive, weighs about as much as a ipad.
add in to that, its windows so you can play your steam games on it, and if you need to have a tablet OS to run the hex game with touch(maybe you wont! civ 5 dosent) you can emulate that there too.
got mine the other day and i am so happy with it.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-18-1810/pd

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
dell makes a all-in-one pc thats basicly a tablet.
19 inch screen, up to 8gb of ram and like a 500 gig drive, weighs about as much as a ipad.
add in to that, its windows so you can play your steam games on it, and if you need to have a tablet OS to run the hex game with touch(maybe you wont! civ 5 dosent) you can emulate that there too.
got mine the other day and i am so happy with it.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-18-1810/pd

Shes talking about lugging it around school. Thats large enough it would warrant a wheelbarrow. Also generally all in one PCs are just horrible. There is literally no way to upgrade or alter that in any way shape or form besides throwing it in the trash and buying a new one. Not to mention the sacrifices they made to make it that small in the first place. I dont even like laptops really but if you want a portable pc there is no other way.

All in on systems are always a gimmick especially when they are done in a way like that one. You will like it for a while but after a bit youll notice you could have gotten a similar laptop or desktop much cheaper that is faster and will last longer.

[edit]http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fdcwgt19bm&model_id=xps-8700

Same company same price but much faster and has a real video card. I could find a laptop similar but im too lazy

Mr.Funsocks
06-12-2013, 05:30 PM
I have an Asus Transformer Prime, which has a keyboard that you can attach to it to type properly. It works great for taking notes, it's small enough to carry around and use in lab (usually without the keyboard attached, just a case), and has a bit of juice to run things like Hex. Also terrific battery life. On the other hand, it's still a tablet, and tablets are still shit. I can't properly edit documents in it, as the full feature of formatting options in Google Docs haven't been translated over, especially on spreadsheets when I'm trying to calculate PCR conditions. I actually just bring my old laptop (or use a lab computer) to do most things I need to DO with a computing device, the tablet just has some portability to look at things.

My girlfriend uses a Nexus 7 for notes and whatnot, and likes it quite a bit, but she doesn't tend to try and edit things on it either.

Barborin
06-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks a lot on all the info so far. It has been really helpful.

primer
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
There is a new Nexus 7 coming out within the next few months, otherwise id go with nexus 10. Depends where you will be using it.

Punk
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
It really seems like the consensus so far is steering away from iOS. I am not that knowledgeable with Tablets, so this information is also going a long way with myself. Thanks everyone.

Ghii_Zhar
06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
It really seems like the consensus so far is steering away from iOS. I am not that knowledgeable with Tablets, so this information is also going a long way with myself. Thanks everyone.

If you are not knowledgeable about tablets, and are not a computer geek that likes to fiddle around with the inner workings of computers, IOS may be worth a look.

If you want something that just works, and do not like spending hours configuring widgets, active wallpapers, "rooting" the O/S, etc. IOS is a good choice. This comes from an IT professional that has run SCO Unix, HPUX, Netware, Windows Server, etc. I build all my own computers (except my Mac). I have an iPod, iPad, Nexus 7, and a work issued Blackberry Playbook.

They are all fine devices, but I enjoy the iPad the most as a recreational device - it has a huge selection of solid, stable software. I get quite enough "geek" time at work. Much of the dislike of Apple is from folks that "hate" big companies, or hate not being able to install anything from anywhere at anytime (which is great if you are geeky enough to put it all back together when it breaks). To my mind, Google and Samsung are just as "evil" corporations as Apple is said to be.....

I do a *lot* of end user support, and fully understand why a company would lock down a system against user modifications. Imagine the havoc the auto industry would have if they fully supported end users modifying their engine software, adding what ever parts they want, any size tires, etc - THEN having to support the 1000's of configurations.

People complain that IOS and iStuff hardware is slow to change, but from a support and reliability perspective that is a good thing. I can't emphasize enough what a pain it is for me to support the latest corporate craze of BYOD (bring your own device). What a nightmare - especially for Android devices, there are a gazillion variations of hardware, custom launchers, o/s versions, etc. Unfortunately most end users cannot setup or maintain their devices very well. Of the dozens of models we support, iPhones and iPads are the easiest to deal with simply because they are very much alike.

To help decide which tablet is your best choice, go to a few stores in your area and get a good "hands on" test drive of different brands and models. If the store has a good return policy, get one and use it for a week or so. I think Apple has a 30 day full refund, satisfaction guarantee.

If Apple just isn't your cup o' tea, I like the Google Nexus - it's "pure" Android, no custom launchers, etc. installed, is the least locked down, and the O/S is upgraded often - unlike some Androids that seldom, if ever get upgraded. Since Android is relatively new, upgrades are a good thing. Some of the older version look quite kludgey compared to the newer versions.

Mr.Funsocks
06-12-2013, 07:01 PM
If you want something overpriced, underpowered, and borderline unusable because of how restricted it is... yeah, go for iOS :-P

To say it "just works" is like saying Burger King is "just food." It's a poor facsimile of "working".

Strifex
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I really wish they would make a Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 app for Hex...
Hell if they need help, I'm a Windows Phone 8 Developer and would love to help! haha

Hmdrake
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I've been pretty happy with my ipad, and this is from someone who has been building and maintaining their own pc's for 13 years. For pc and laptop, avoid apple, but for the price and size, I've been more than satisfied with the ipad. Most of those attacking it have never owned one. The other thing is, as a boardgamer, some of my favorite games have made their way to ipad. I've probably spent more time playing Ascension with friends than any PC game since I got it. It really does have a nice selection of stable apps, something I've had a bit more issue with when using my Galaxy S3.

Tyrfang
06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Basically, if you want raw specs, Nexus 7/10.
If you want something inexpensive, Asus tablets seem to be good there.
If you want something with an Apple logo (not bad, just pricier)...iPad.

Ghii_Zhar
06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
If you want something overpriced, underpowered, and borderline unusable because of how restricted it is... yeah, go for iOS :-P

Ummm.....OK. There's no way to win an "I hate Apple" argument. I think your "borderline unusable" statement proves that. If that was true, they simply wouldn't sell........

I stand by my statement of the difficulty I experience daily trying to support BYOD Androids in the hands of average users. For folks that like to fiddle with their gadgets, Apple is not a good choice. For millions of average users, Apple iPads and iPhones can be a good choice. My parents and grandchildren quickly learn to use their iPads, and have few problems doing what they like/need to do on a tablet. On the other hand, my grandkids mother bought them some Android tablets for Xmas last year, which they did not use because they became frustrated with various problems.

LeMazing
06-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Another up-vote from a Nexus 7 user. If you can afford a 10" Nexus and the larger size isn't a portability concern, absolutely go for it.

I might suggest holding off for a bit though, as the 2nd generation Nexuseseses should be out this July. Keep an eye peeled and check out the specs and reviews for them and make an educated decision. I'm not against iPads, but Nexus is a very affordable, non-Apple alternative that has very few downsides (in my opinion, obviously).

BlindMan
06-12-2013, 07:34 PM
I also enjoy my Nexus 7, and yes, you should wait for the updated version. I personally will be playing the game on my Nexus 7, and if I like the tablet interface, I will probably get a Nexus 10.

Kami
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
If you can wait, hold off for the Asus Transformer with Tegra4. :)

Shepherd74
06-12-2013, 07:37 PM
OP: why are you going tablet over laptop? If you can type and need to take a lot of notes for school you are better off with a Macbook Air or netbook. Tablets are good for recreation but will never allow someone who can type the same speed of entry and data organization that a netbook or laptop can. I have a Note 2 which is decent for taking notes at work but will be switching over to an Air soon. Give me an apple Mac keyboard over an android stylus input any day. I also have an iPad. Good for recreation. Not so hot for serious data input.

The good news is Hex should work on whatever you get. Good luck.

Punk
06-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Ummm.....OK. There's no way to win an "I hate Apple" argument. I think your "borderline unusable" statement proves that. If that was true, they simply wouldn't sell........

I stand by my statement of the difficulty I experience daily trying to support BYOD Androids in the hands of average users. For folks that like to fiddle with their gadgets, Apple is not a good choice. For millions of average users, Apple iPads and iPhones can be a good choice. My parents and grandchildren quickly learn to use their iPads, and have few problems doing what they like/need to do on a tablet. On the other hand, my grandkids mother bought them some Android tablets for Xmas last year, which they did not use because they became frustrated with various problems.

I have never really been the biggest fan of Apple products. Hell, at one point I was 100% against Apple all together. With that being said, I have done a lot of Help Desk work for an IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) company, and at least 90% of the company use Macbooks. Whenever an employee would have an issue, I would be troubleshooting it on a Mac. Needless to say, I am very familiar with the workings of iOS, Windows (my personal computer) and Android OS (my choice for smartphones forever now).

When the time comes, and I am in the market for a tablet (which will be soon), then I will take your suggestion to heart and go try them out first hand. Naturally, iOS will not be my first inclination, but I am not going to rule it out altogether.

Thanks for your suggestion!

XagoTrunk
06-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Get one of these bad boys ;)
http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro/

ossuary
06-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Asus makes very solid, dependable, slick machines. I've had a Transformer Prime 10" tablet for about a year, and it is exceptional.

Avoid Acer at all costs. Everything they make is shit, and WAY overpriced.

Mr.Funsocks
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM

People will buy anything that's given the right marketing campaign. Apple is great evidence of that :-P So was AOL. So is Call of Duty. And Justin Beiber. And... so on.

There are bad Android tablets, sure. If you buy a cheap Acer, you get what you pay for. But iPads are toys. I HAVE used them, quite a bit, contrary to popular belief, as both my parents have them (and break them regularly) as well as Apple desktop and laptops. Apple products are great if you want to do the 3 things they allow you to do in the way you want to do them, as soon as you try to do ANYTHING else, they break. As soon as you try to use a non-Apple app or program to replace functionality, they break.

Sure, they're usable if you want to check your email (with a service with no special restrictions/requirements/login protocols), maybe browse the internet (as long as the site has a mobile version), maybe look at maps (though, y'know... not so much with Apple maps...), and download some games. So yeah, if you need a toy with some functionality for a hefty markup, they're great. But if you try to customize things, use a more efficient program, bypass the "smart" (ie stupid) systems they use for managing files, contacts, music, etc., or basically anything else, they break, and are often unrecoverable without sending them in for repairs or completely reformatting them.

Govir
06-12-2013, 10:08 PM

I'm going to agree with this guy. It's all about what you want out of your tablet.

iOS is about ease of use, at the trade off of customization. Part of the ease of use is because it's easier for Developers to test software because there are not thousands of configurations they have to worry about. I'm a computer programmer and I have an iPhone over an Android because I prefer the layout and I don't need the ability to add apps from anywhere (seriously, there's a ton of Apps on the Apple App store that will probably do close to anything you'd want to do). I've been very happy with my iPhone for the 4 years I've had it.

Android offers more customization, at the trade off of stability. Sure, you can get an Android and not do any customization to it, and it'll run relatively well. Android gives you the User more power and trusts that you know what you're doing (i.e. you have the power to break your device).

For Barborin, I recommend an Android device. While iOS may have the ability to work with documents, dealing with the moving them to and from the tablet is not ideal. The Androids I have seen are more intuitive coming from a PC world when it comes to file management. Also factored in is his apparent hate for all things Apple (seems unreasonable). I don't have any experience with different devices, so I can't begin to suggest which Android device to get.

I'd also like to mention that while I haven't personally had experience with them, I am interested in tablets that run Windows 8. The idea of being able to use normal PC programs on a tablet intrigues me. Throw on a physical keyboard, and the idea becomes more interesting. (At this point I realize it basically becomes a Touch Screen laptop).

MasterN64
06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
People will buy anything that's given the right marketing campaign. Apple is great evidence of that :-P So was AOL. So is Call of Duty. And Justin Beiber. And... so on.

There are bad Android tablets, sure. If you buy a cheap Acer, you get what you pay for. But iPads are toys. I HAVE used them, quite a bit, contrary to popular belief, as both my parents have them (and break them regularly) as well as Apple desktop and laptops. Apple products are great if you want to do the 3 things they allow you to do in the way you want to do them, as soon as you try to do ANYTHING else, they break. As soon as you try to use a non-Apple app or program to replace functionality, they break.

Sure, they're usable if you want to check your email (with a service with no special restrictions/requirements/login protocols), maybe browse the internet (as long as the site has a mobile version), maybe look at maps (though, y'know... not so much with Apple maps...), and download some games. So yeah, if you need a toy with some functionality for a hefty markup, they're great. But if you try to customize things, use a more efficient program, bypass the "smart" (ie stupid) systems they use for managing files, contacts, music, etc., or basically anything else, they break, and are often unrecoverable without sending them in for repairs or completely reformatting them.

And this man knows what hes talking about here. He did leave out the fact that if you ever hook your Apple ANYTHING to a PC running windows you have to have ITunes installed or it simply refuses to interact with the PC in any way. And ITunes is a bloated and horrid piece of shit. Meanwhile the android OS depending on the settings it has will simply act like a camera or thumbdrive. Native click and drag support.

Why doesnt Apple do this? Well they could but then they wouldnt get you to install ITunes! And since youve installed it you might as well let it take over all your system settings and handle all your music and constantly try to run itself. And dont worry when you attempt to sync your collection it will do it wrong most of the time and just delete files. All while taking up 10x the resources it should need to run and only crashing twice! Amazing!

People enjoy apple because its cool to enjoy apple and not because its actually better than the alternatives. They see a shiny brushed aluminum case and a fancy display and simply MUST have it even though its twice the price of similar products that do more things in simpler ways.

The bottom line is there is nothing a Mac system can do that a PC cant but there is a list longer than the equator of things a PC can that a Mac cant. When you get to the mobile platform that list becomes shorter but not by a whole lot.

Miwa
06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I really really want them to do a Windows App Store version of the game. If they are using Unity, they should have the beta for that, and a Surface Pro and Surface RT in house. Make it work on the Surface RT dammit! I like my Surface RT a bunch, and I really hope we get something other than 8" RT tablets this holiday season. (I use a Samsung 9 series if I need an actual development system on the go)

nekoangel
06-13-2013, 12:16 AM
another transformer vote here, i have a TF300 (tegra 3) amazing little machine.
let alone play hex and all the other normal things it can do i can stream wow and diablo 3 to it and play from the tablet with ease.
it has a usb in the keyboard dock and a micro sd and sd card slot too, HDMI out put so you could hex on your TV if being flash is key....

but at heart i like customization and android is where its at over apple ( and apple do overprice for similar functions and hardware), my TF was only 300 with the dock.

for gimmicks id say a big galaxy note for the pen hah

GreyGriffin
06-13-2013, 12:48 AM
So, disclaimer, I have a Windows phone, a Windows gaming PC, a Surface Pro, and a MacBook Pro.

Get the iPad.

For overall fun, and non-power user experience, iPad is really unparalleled. The App store is genuinely insanely deep, with tons of gems. Its ubiquity in the causal as well as the business market means it has a huge breadth of apps for productivity as well as games and just general weirdness.

It also looks good, is lightweight, has a great screen, and has tons of aftermarket parts like cases, stands, and keyboards, owing to its market penetration. It also is also almost guaranteed to be the platform that mobile Hex is optimized for.

The only thing that makes me leery to recommend it is that it is a genuine pain to dig files out of, and this can mean doing homework on it can be arduous. If your professors expect word documents they expect word documents, so you may need to have a second productivity machine. A cheap laptop will usually do.

You'll probably want one anyways, because typing multipage papers on any tablet keyboard is asking for pain.

I'd love to come out and recommend the Surface Pro, but the price is high, windows 8 touchscreen support is not confirmed as of yet, and typing on my type cover, while much better than most mobile keyboards, is still kind of a pain. Also the app store is crap.

TimeZero
06-13-2013, 01:16 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and I like it a lot. I had no problem so far in more than a year.

hex_colin
06-13-2013, 01:43 AM
So much iPad hate!

Bottom line is that iPads are used to surf the web a disproportionately large percentage (~80% of all tablet web traffic) compared to the percentage of them in the tablet population. There are lots of them, and they get a lot of use - much more than the average non-iPad tablet.

madar
06-13-2013, 01:45 AM
I am thinking on to buy a tablet too when hex come out, but to be honest i am worry about the small screen, even if i would buy a 10" one - i am planning to buy a Sony Xperia Z. In this game, if there is many cards out for both players, the things will be so small or cover each other. I am sure after a while i will recognize all of the cards from an icon-size picture too, but still, i like to watch the cards, the art, the text too, etc. So i think i will wait till the game is out, i play on PC some, and check how it looks like on a 10" screen - but i am sure on 7" it would be pretty small.

I have only one problem with the Apple products, and this is the itunes - as is stand between me and the content; doin' the backups and upgrades and every other things by itself with so low control allowed for me. Even if i am allowed to use only one itunes at a time, and i cant connect both with home and work PC - so i stay with Android or Windows8 for sure.

I am curious how the windows8 support will works - if the standard desktop client would recognize if is have touch-screen control it would be very cool, and i would consider to buy a windows8 (not RT) tablet.

panzer
06-13-2013, 02:21 AM
There is a new Nexus 7 coming out within the next few months, otherwise id go with nexus 10. Depends where you will be using it.

hopefully it will drop by september so I have a new tablet for hex.

Marsden
06-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Apple products are great if you want to do the 3 things they allow you to do in the way you want to do them, as soon as you try to do ANYTHING else, they break. As soon as you try to use a non-Apple app or program to replace functionality, they break.

This is utter hyperbole at best and downright lies at worst.

Indormi
06-13-2013, 02:37 AM
It depends on your budget. If you are a uni student like me, IPADs are not really that affordable and after you buy them, there are more expenses via apps, Itunes etc. It is a really nice product, even more if you dont like to tinker with them.

It you are looking more for a specs/quality/price I would definetly recomend the Nexus. I got a Nexus 7 and while it may be a little bit small to play Hex, I found it amazing for the price. Also you can tinker with it a lot, if you like that stuff. It is also more "ecosystem friendly" with a pc.(ie. If you dont have a Mac, connecting you Ipad to your Pc is not that great).

Ranger58
06-13-2013, 04:17 AM
+1 to the Nexus 7 and 10.

However I work at a University and see students successfully using both Android and Apple tablets with out issue. So I would choose the one that works best for you.

If it helps here are some generalisations I have noticed, Technology centric classes seems to have more Android Tablets.

Arts , design and Humanities more Ipads.

Business Classes have about the same of both and surprisingly a substantial number of Windows tablets.

This may be due to application/function availability or a result of peer pressure but there it is

jai151
06-13-2013, 04:35 AM
If you have the budget for it, the surface pro is a wonderful platform. I have one I use for work, as I spend a lot of time in meetings with clients but need to still have the horsepower to run Visual Studio and other programs on the go.

MasterN64
06-13-2013, 06:49 AM
If it helps here are some generalisations I have noticed, Technology centric classes seems to have more Android Tablets.

Arts , design and Humanities more Ipads.

Business Classes have about the same of both and surprisingly a substantial number of Windows tablets.

The biggest reason for this distribution is someone in a technology class actually uses their tablet for more than games or web browsing, understands how it works, and needs something that works well with multiple platforms. Art classes are people doodling and browsing the internet and dont really need to truly use the tablet for much more than research via google. Business classes rely heavily on spreadsheet and accounting programs and there really is not an alternative besides an actual windows program so its best to just get something that runs windows.

Arts simply doesnt have the demands of the other two you mentioned so more people can get away with something less versatile because its going to be essentially a doodle and research machine. You generally wont be doing any hardcore number crunching or the like in a class like that which is good for an ipad because it really blows at doing those things. Not to say it cant but just try to make a spreadsheet on an ipad and have it shared with a PC. ITunes will screw it up every time.

Marsden
06-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Not to say it cant but just try to make a spreadsheet on an ipad and have it shared with a PC. ITunes will screw it up every time.

You'd not touch iTunes to do that. You'd use one of the spreadsheet programs that accesses your Dropbox storage, or mail the spreadsheet to yourself. OTOH, I'd not use any tablet for that kind of work, because I prefer a laptop for that kind of thing anyway. Right tools for the job, etc.

The number of times I need to connect my iPad to my PC to share data? Zero.

Personally, I like iTunes - it plays my music and videos for me all day, every day (and on a Windows machine too) - but it's not something that interacts with my iPhone or iPad on any regular basis, because it's just not needed. People who say it is are mostly believing the anti-Apple hype.

The great thing is that both iOS and Android are great, and everyone gets to choose what they want to use.
Arguing against one or the other is pointless. They have different strengths and weaknesses, the differences in which are closing as hardware and software updates come in.

To the OP: Try some different things out in-store, see what you like the feel of and what will work for you personally. If you already like Android, probably start there unless you want to try something different. (And vice-versa if you already like iOS.)

Crackbone
06-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I'm going to recommend you pick up an iPad.

The app selection alone is worth the price of admission.

I've had every form of Android Tablet/Phone because of the work I do. All I'm going to say is, if you want to game on a tablet, and Hex isn't the only thing you are interested in, iOS, hands down.

GreyGriffin
06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Arts simply doesnt have the demands of the other two you mentioned so more people can get away with something less versatile because its going to be essentially a doodle and research machine.

Actually, most tablets are pretty awful for the arts. No support for real art application, no precision. This is one place where the Surface Pro actually excels.

Ghii_Zhar
06-13-2013, 08:05 AM
This is utter hyperbole at best and downright lies at worst.

Agreed 1000%

I understand the "hate" from the some of the geeks (...and I'm a geek), but what the haters need to understand is that the vast majority of the iPad users have no interest, nor any skills, to modify their tablets.

In regards to iTunes, the average user needs the "take over" design. Way too many users have little to zero knowledge of their PC/Device file systems and will eventually lose everything if their apps & O/S don't babysit/backup their files.

I was once in the "Hate Apple" camp, especially regarding iTunes. I have since learned to tame iTunes and have it pretty much doing what I want it to do. I love my iPad for its intended purpose. I also very much like my Nexus, BBPB, iPod, and Kindle Fire. Each has its own purpose, and is fun in its own way - like I said, I am indeed a geek!

Bottom line, in my opinion, the iPad is the ideal ENTERTAINMENT/Social Media tablet for the majority of the unskilled users.

I would advise the OP to consider a good laptop though, rather than a tablet. In my initial reply, I overlooked his intention to use a tablet for grad school. If a tablet is still preferred, then a Transformer, Surface Pro, or similar would be a better choice than an Ipad or Android device

Barborin
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

To clarify, the PhD program I am entering will provide me with a laptop. The tablet is for portability, storing .pdf's, and entertainment. It will be nice to just be able to pull it out during my lunch and such.

Again thank you for the feedback. I am currently leaning toward a Nexus 7 or 10, and perhaps waiting a bit for the upgrades.

ConnorJS
06-13-2013, 03:30 PM
My dad recently purchased one of the Chinese tablets along with a smartphone too. Although there is a stigma attached to these products the two that my dad has purchased have been ace! The 180 ($250ish) tablet is quad core and its specs are that of a 280 tablet and it runs the latest version of Android flawlessly. I compare it to my Galaxy Tab 2 and it runs a hell of a lot faster and also allows for 32GB expandable micro SD memory (around 20). If anybody would like the link for the tablet let me know and I'll get it for you.

tl;dr - Get a Chinese one with good reviews and support and you'll save a lot of money and get a great tablet.

NecroPleas
06-13-2013, 04:48 PM
I recently purchased a Nook HD+ that I've been pretty happy with. It's not too expensive and there are walkthroughs on the web that will let you convert it into an Android tablet for less than a comparable tablet would have cost.

mujrim
06-13-2013, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=Ghii_Zhar;252879]Agreed 1000%

Ragging on someone else for hyperbole, eh? Words... how do they work???

Anyway, There are some Tegra 4 tablets dropping really soon, probably at the end of this month. You might want to check on those as well. The sample model Nvidia had on display was impressive.