PDA

View Full Version : League Play

Vithe
06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
One of my favorite ways to play various TCGs is via a league. I am wondering if HEX has any plans to support this sort of game mode?

For those of you who don't know what league is:

A league's timeframe is typically 1 month.
You get X amount of packs to create your league deck.
Every week, you can play X amount of games to go towards your league record.
Even though only a certain amount of games go towards your record, you can still play as much as you want to practice.
Each week, you may add 1 pack to your league deck.
After a month (or whatever the timeframe of the league is) there is prize support for the top X players.
Some leagues make you ante a random card from your deck every game you play as well.

I'd love to see league play in HEX! What does everyone else think?

Tyrfang
06-13-2013, 07:10 AM
CZE has mentioned that league play is in the works, but they have to work out the details.

primer
06-13-2013, 07:42 AM
That sounds really fun

BlackRoger
06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
That sounds somewhat similar to that Marathon mode they mentioned.
Though I don't remmember much on what was said so I might be very wrong.

Tathel
06-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah i believe Cory has said, they have a framework but it probably won't be ready at release and they have to look into legal implications if they allow for prize support etc.

Shadowelf
06-13-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty positive that Cory mentioned about leagues, in one of his video previews; can't remember which one was exactly to provide the link but leagues sound interesting to say the least

Oli
06-15-2013, 05:37 AM
I liked the leagues back in the MTGO days.

As a family-man my free time usually starts after 10pm, so even a draft is not that easy to complete.
The leagues allowed for some serious games in a very narrow timeframe. Play one game, if there is some more time left play another one. No need to wait for the completion of other players games and distribute the games over the week as you have time.

I also hope they try other tournament-formats that allow for completion in 2 hours. (4 (or 2)-player drafts, maybe a tournament that plays one round each day at a fixed hour and something similar for us family-people.

TZHX
06-15-2013, 06:49 AM
I can't see how there'd be any extra legal requirements for prizes, etc. than there would be for drafts. It'd still just be in-game items.

I think leagues would be great for those of us, like Oli, who may not have the time to dedicate 2-3/hrs in one go for a draft.

ZacPhoenix
06-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Sounds fun. I'm looking forward to all the PvP modes we're going to be able to play.

Rapkannibale
06-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I liked the leagues back in the MTGO days.

I still don't know why they got rid of leagues?

Anyway, I am convinced they will make leagues happen. Marathon tournaments are different than leagues in that you can play as much as you want in a limited time frame, where as in leagues usually only a limited number of games per week count towards the league. One of the reasons I am not super interested in the Marathon tournaments is that pretty much the people that have the most time will win. Considering one of the main reasons I am so excited about this game is that it is great for people with little time and allows us to play whenever we have a bit of time. But for those people that do have the time, I think they will have a blast with the marathon tournaments. :)

Erebus
06-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Cory has specifically said that he wants to put in Custom Leagues as soon as possible after launch.

This can be the traditional Sealed leagues, custom deck rules leagues, Cube Drafts, etc.

Ratticus
06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
mtgo leagues were dropped due to cheating.

In an online setting leagues need to be large to get enough people so you can find games most hours of the day or night. A large number of participants means that even with a small entrance fee the top prizes are large relative to the entrance fee. What ended up happening in mtgo was people were entering 6 times, logging in the middle of the night, and then conceding to their best deck giving them a perfect 20-0 record. The top 5 spots of the leagues were filled with people who went 20-0 in games that counted and then under 40% for the tiebreakers and even more amazing if you looked at them week by week they beat the same 5 people every week for their real points.

That was what wizards official reason for dropping leagues and I can certainly verify that the cheating was occurring. Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if wizards used the cheating as an excuse for dropping leagues as they made less money off of them then drafts but the cheating issues would need to be addressed in hex so the same thing didn't happen.

One thing I would like to see is a free phantom league. Very trivial prizes to avoid cheating mainly designed as a way to introduce new players to pvp.

Hibbert
06-15-2013, 07:03 PM
mtgo leagues were dropped due to cheating.

That's very interesting to hear. I had only heard stuff about the new client not being able to support leagues, not anything about the rampant cheating. Now I know they left league support out on purpose, not just because they have an incompetent programming team.

I hope that any such issues could be resolved in Hex. Leagues are definitely a format I'd like to see. They give a lot of play value with lower time commitments than a draft queue. I'd think a bit of basic analysis of play habits would take care of most cases of cheating. I'd also be fine with them having a lower prize potential than regular draft.

Talreth
06-15-2013, 09:35 PM
I agree, I love playing League

Xtopher
06-15-2013, 10:21 PM
It's not true that MTGO league were dropped due to cheating. MTGO was forced to "upgrade" to v3 before it was completely ready, because v2.5 had become completely unstable due to the number of players and digital objects in the game. Wizards had intended leagues to be in v3 at launch. After v3 launched it was functionally worse than v2.5 in many ways and Wizards spent years optimizing it, putting leagues on a back burner. v4 is due to be launched soon, but the beta is getting bad reviews on MTGO forums so what will happen next is really unknown.

Wizards still maintains that they intend to have leagues return at some future point.

It is true that leagues were rife with cheating on MTGO, but that's equally true for every MTGO event that gives prizes.

Oli
06-15-2013, 11:57 PM
There is no need to copy the same mistakes tho MTGO-leagues did, but I think the typical family-gamer has max. 1-2 hours a day to play his favorite format, and I would really like to see a way to play some competitive games in this time.

Rapkannibale
06-16-2013, 12:50 AM
The cheating thing is actually a valid concern for Hex as well since the game is free you could just make a bunch of bogus accounts and enter a league multiple times and then just play against yourself and make your main account win. It's not an unsolvable problem but CZE needs to be aware of it (and they probably are).

TZHX
06-16-2013, 02:00 AM
The cheating thing is actually a valid concern for Hex as well since the game is free you could just make a bunch of bogus accounts and enter a league multiple times and then just play against yourself and make your main account win. It's not an unsolvable problem but CZE needs to be aware of it (and they probably are).

But doing that would mean buying a second lot of boosters, and putting up the entry fee. I doubt the prizes would justify doing that.

MrSeriousBsns
06-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Since the boosters could be traded between accounts... it would all come down to the entry fee vs the prize. If the prize could be resold for more than the entry fee, this sort of exploitation would definitely occur. If it doesn't, people would likely not be that interested in the league in the first place... or just as a casual between friends sort of thing (i.e. not widely used).