PDA

View Full Version : How to moderate cheating through voice chat/ phone calls.

UltimateGranis
06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but I couldn't find anything on it in the forums. In FnM it's against the rules for anyone to give their input or advice at what's going on at the table. How in a digital card game can this be prevented?

Let's say my friend is skipping out on a tournament that I very much want to win, and he is a much better player than I am. What's to stop me from calling him and describing the board, or using facetime on the iphone to show him whats going on? He could essentially play for me so to speak.

On a side note I would never do this. I'm just wondering how everyone else feels about it and whether or not it's even something to worry about. Also, is there anyway to even fix it?

Daer
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Nothing is stopping it.

Zheoldar
06-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Nothing.
You can even get someone by your side to play match for you.

Not that it is good practice but it cant be prevented.

Dropbear
06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
In low-level this can't be stopped, really.

Obviously, if this gets caught in high level competition play, they're likely to be banned from leagues and tournaments as that's pretty much akin to nick-borrowing/boosting.

Rayous
06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
well, if we had in game video conferencing we would be able to watch the opponent doing this and have a record. I still don't want to have to deal with ventrillo on an IPad and would love integrated voice chat. But then we have the problem that chat roulette had.

Tyrfang
06-13-2013, 09:13 AM
well, if we had in game video conferencing we would be able to watch the opponent doing this and have a record. I still don't want to have to deal with ventrillo on an IPad and would love integrated voice chat. But then we have the problem that chat roulette had.

...Or you could just, you know, turn off your webcam.

jaxsonbateman
06-13-2013, 09:18 AM
In a draft tournament or what not, there's nothing to stop a high level player from entering and dominating everyone. If a friend wants to get their high level player friend to do it for them, it's essentially the same thing. You'll actually have the advantage in that the high level player friend wasn't in control from the get go of the tournament.

Gloom78
06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
A game that forces you to be on webcam? I don't think so...

There are plenty of programs out there that can stream a prerecorded video that looks like I'm paying attention.

Honestly I could display my game up on a projector and have a boardroom of people giving me input while you look at a video of my cat staring back at you.

Delrusant
06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
You let someone else play, it is not the end of the world, it is like getting a friend to try a MMO by using your high level characters.

But 2 people playing might not be for the best, each having their own idea of the strategy. Having a better player playing your tourney is not really fair play but where is the fun of doing this. Their can also be problem is the reward for the tournament turns out to be great (like a primal pack, a legendary gear that your friend need...)

It should self regulate.

The problem is spectator mode if you can see the hands of the players.

RobHaven
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Having a better player playing your tourney is not really fair play but where is the fun of doing this.

When I PvPed regularly in WoW (going back a few years), I got offered cash for my account all of the time because of my title. I never understood it - how the hell is it fun to let someone else play a game, then step in and take credit for the work?
Similarly, my nephew played hundreds of matches against easy level bots in League of Legends just because he liked winning too much to play anything harder. Finally my brother banned it from the house. I'll never get it, personally, but some people just get off on feeling powerful, even if that power is completely devoid of merit.

Punk
06-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Nothing is stopping this. If you need your friend to sit by you and help you play all of the time, then your skill level will show when you go to a high-level tournament and have to play in person where he can't hold your hand through every game.

SomeoneRandom
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Honestly I don't see why this would matter, it would be the exact same as if a good player started a new account and played. I don't think there will be an ELO or anything, if you join a tournament expect to be against good players, simple as that.

Rtsands45
06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Drafts are by far the best way to put people on an even stage. No way can some "high level" player walk in and just win. There may be better lines of play that the more experienced player may see but really it comes down to how you draft your cards and build your deck.

funktion
06-13-2013, 11:08 AM
If you rely on someone else to win, then they are the one that is winning the game for you. Now if there's some huge overarching thing I'm missing here let me know, but I don't actually see a problem with this.
-It's more time consuming (which in turn might take your head out of the game)
-You and your cohort might disagree on what the right play is (and in the end make 2 "half-right" plays that lose you the game)
-Last but not least, you still lose. Your opponent might be better than your friend, if you're really listening to your friend's advice, then it's not you that's playing, you're just the medium between your friend and your opponent.

I've definitely had multiple times where I did this (not in sanctioned events though) with people in order to mentor them or myself. For us it was part of playtesting a format even. It's not much different than laying out a series of packs and the hive mind simulating a draft so to speak.

In short. This is not something you want to do in competitive play, seriously, you're only making yourself a worse player in the long run, and it's not very effective.

whythelastman
06-13-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't think there's any practical way to prevent it on a daily basis. The thought has certainly crossed my mind that players might even go further--collude during a game to help each other unlock achievements or level up cards in throwaway games.

Zzasikar
06-13-2013, 11:18 AM
An interesting thought: If this game somehow got big enough, I guess the possibility would be there to have a 'real life' pro players tournament which would be played at a venue of CZE's choosing on stream. Just like any other online game.

Gwaer
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I just hope the cards can maintain a high enough value to make being a professional a valid option for people that aren't me and are actually good at TCG's