PDA

View Full Version : What does "all zones" mean?

funktion
06-13-2013, 11:42 AM
So if you're playing any other card game, "all zones" generally means:
-Playing field
-Graveyard
-"out of play" / Voided area

But with Hex, because of the digital nature, your deck AND your opponents deck are pretty much always fair game. So is the deck now also a "zone"?

If a card says, "all troops in all zones get a permanent -1 -1" does it work on the cards in decks as well?

Jbizzi
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
I have read "all zones" to mean any card in the game you have entered.

So if it gets voided I would also read that to be in a zone.

So by basic play standards, 4 total zones: Deck, Field, Graveyard and Voided

Hollywood
06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure "all zones" will refer to only zones you control unless otherwise stated by the specific card.

jaxsonbateman
06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
In Magic, a term like all zones would be:
1. Deck
2. Hand
3. Graveyard
4. Battlefield
5. Exile
6. Command Zone
7. Stack

Pretty sure I didn't miss any.

funktion
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Aye, that's what I've been reading it to mean as well. It just takes some getting used to, reading all zones with any previous game wouldn't have included the deck.

@hollywood: I don't see why it couldn't also effect your opponents zones. Why wouldn't they be fair game by default?

jaxsonbateman
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
The library is definitely a zone in Magic. ;-)

Massabik
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
I believe 'all zones' means everywhere except void, as void means taking completely out of play.

Pentregarth
06-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Aye, that's what I've been reading it to mean as well. It just takes some getting used to, reading all zones with any previous game wouldn't have included the deck.

@hollywood: I don't see why it couldn't also effect your opponents zones. Why wouldn't they be fair game by default?

Fair question, but I think having your ragefire's escalation also affect the enemy's copies (and I think we will see this card quite often, therefore that's probably going to be a somewhat common occurence) would be pretty weird.

Hollywood
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM

Oh I'm not saying it can't. Just that it makes more sense for specific effects. Like which card would be better, one that says "remove a troop from all zones" or "remove a troop from all opposing zones". You can have stronger effects when you differentiate.

Hollywood
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Fair question, but I think having your ragefire's escalation also affect the enemy's copies (and I think we will see this card quite often, therefore that's probably going to be a somewhat common occurence) would be pretty weird.

Also this.

jaxsonbateman
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
To avoid issue, the escalation cards explicitly say copies you own, to avoid hitting the enemy's.

funktion
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Reread ragefire, it specifies which zones are counting.
@pent / hollywood: I'm saying by default that phrase should do what it means, meaning all zones, if they want to modify it past that (to make it stronger weaker) they say something like "all troops you control in all zones." That's a fairly clunky way to word it, but I'm sure it can still be worded better.

Vorpal
06-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Whatever it means, I'm sure it includes the twilight zone.

jaxsonbateman
06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Reread ragefire, it specifies which zones are counting.
@pent / hollywood: I'm saying by default that phrase should do what it means, meaning all zones, if they want to modify it past that (to make it stronger weaker) they say something like "all troops you control in all zones." That's a fairly clunky way to word it, but I'm sure it can still be worded better.
I think they'll probably update the reminder text on the AA Ragefire. Chronic Flooding and Relentless Corruption both say "each card you own with the same name as this action in all zones"), as does Eternal Youth.

Turtlewing
06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
I have read "all zones" to mean any card in the game you have entered.

So if it gets voided I would also read that to be in a zone.

So by basic play standards, 4 total zones: Deck, Field, Graveyard and Voided

Also: opponent's deck, hand, and opponent's hand.