PDA

View Full Version : Disable Timer in Private PVP with Friends / Asynchronous Play?

Zophie
06-13-2013, 01:28 PM
I have two related suggestions I'd like to make:

1. It would be nice if there were options to disable the turn timer when playing private PVP games with friends. I understand the need for the timer in normal/ranked games, but sometimes my friends and I like to just take our time and not have to deal with the added pressure of a turn timer. It would be nice if we could play private games with each other without worrying about our kids distracting us, or needing to take quick breaks in the middle of a game for various reasons.

2. To expand on the first idea, it would also be neat if there was a game mode that supported asynchronous gameplay. One person takes their turn, then the next player has up to 48 hours to make their turn, and neither player has to be online at the same time (but they can if they want). There would need to be an option to run multiple games at once of course, so you could log in, take your turn on all of your games, and log out. I've seen this work well for a lot of turn based tactical games, and I think it would be a cool extra feature for gamers with very limited time or hectic schedules that don't match up with their equally-busy friends.

EDIT: Response from dev:

You'll be able to set timer length (or not have one) in casual 1v1 games. Additionally, most dungeons won't have timers (who cares if you make the AI wait). However, some dungeons will have a timer as part of the dungeon mechanic. But that is the exception.

Asynchronous HEX would be rough to play, and take a long time. We're investigating alternatives.

Thanks Kyle! :)

ConnorJS
06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
2. To expand on the first idea, it would also be neat if there was a game mode that supported asynchronous gameplay. One person takes their turn, then the next player has up to 48 hours to make their turn, and neither player has to be online at the same time (but they can if they want). There would need to be an option to run multiple games at once of course, so you could log in, take your turn on all of your games, and log out. I've seen this work well for a lot of turn based tactical games, and I think it would be a cool extra feature for gamers with very limited time or hectic schedules that don't match up with their equally-busy friends.

I do really like the idea of this, I wouldn't play it myself but think that it would be a good feature for the game to have. I think it would probably be one for after release though, as the developers already have a lot on their hands.

Mexalen
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Great idea!
Would really improve my chances of playing with friends.

Ju66ernaut
06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Hex Hero Academy!!

PS I love your asynchronous idea :)

Credendo
06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
God as MUCH as I would love this, asynchronous just wouldn't really work, what with priority having to be passed back and forth. Perhaps you could flag what phases to halt priority at each turn, but even then I don't think it would be able to work. Instant speed counterspell type things would make asynchronous play a headache. Anybody have any other thoughts on how to work around this?

benczi
06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
With all the priority passing going around, an async game could take a year or more. I do love the first idea thou, +1.

Shepherd74
06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
It's a really good idea. Basically pbm play.

Typhon
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
+1 I love both of these ideas! I think Async needs to have an added option of "Your opponent has come online; would you like to continue this gave live?". That way you can still knock a couple hands out before you go back to async (if you still haven't finished a game).

Zophie
06-13-2013, 02:40 PM
With all the priority passing going around, an async game could take a year or more.

Anybody have any other thoughts on how to work around this?

Yeah I thought about that, it would definitely slow down games, waiting for players to respond. Perhaps some kind of action queuing/take back gimmick could be used to help with this though. For example, the game allows you to skip the priority checking to see if your opponent has a response, and you just carry on with your next actions following this. When your opponent loads up the game, they will see your actions played out in order, and be asked if they want to respond at appropriate times throughout this. If they do, it basically negates any queued actions remaining. If they choose to pass priority though, the queued actions play out as intended through the end of the turn. When I log in again and check into the game it would show my last action(s) being taken back and the response from my opponent, and I then play out the rest of the turn following the response.

This could be overcomplicating the issue though, but some players might not mind the "long game" and I think it'd be a neat novelty to try out. :)

tera769
06-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Horrible idea, you play way too slow already! ;) (Your friends are slow as well)

JoB3nder
06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
God as MUCH as I would love this, asynchronous just wouldn't really work, what with priority having to be passed back and forth. Perhaps you could flag what phases to halt priority at each turn, but even then I don't think it would be able to work. Instant speed counterspell type things would make asynchronous play a headache. Anybody have any other thoughts on how to work around this?

This.

With a "turn" consisting of many opportunities for the opposing player to interact with the current player, this just doesn't work. It would take forever as benczi says.

Thus I see only two ways to adapt the game to make this possible (and is it even worth it?):

1 - Restrict all "Quick" actions of any kind, including troop abilities. This would be a very different game.
2 - Require the active player to build in "If" statements to respond to the other player's responses. This would probably be tedious, but could theoretically work.

Icepick
06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I definitely like the idea of being able to switch off the timer for private games. I remember seeing a button for match settings in one of the streams they did, so it's possible that the option for this already exists, but since they didn't actually *use* it we have no idea what's in there.

Mexalen
06-14-2013, 12:54 AM
An option to resume a game on a later date would fix that.
Can't finish a friendly skirmish because pesky reallife got in the way? You wouldn't have to forfeit and could continue later.
..that's another thing you only can do digital.

ZillahEnoch
06-14-2013, 01:56 AM
I love both ideas, and the solution you offer for interruptions (negate the action queue) seems brilliant to me.
On a note, "flagging" phases to skip or not would allow players to game it : "Let's play a cheap spell to see if he flagged this phase. No ? Now I know I won't be countered/interrupted for my next spells !"

An option to resume a game on a later date would fix that.
Can't finish a friendly skirmish because pesky reallife got in the way? You wouldn't have to forfeit and could continue later.
..that's another thing you only can do digital.
Cory said that we would be able to do just that in PvE, so it might not be too complicated to include it as an option in PvP, we shall see !

SamCube
06-14-2013, 02:37 AM
I love both ideas. The second too, even if one of the fun of the TCG is to have an actual action>response kind of dialogue. The game will feel pretty bored if you couldn't interrupt opponent turn. What do I see it's a "Break Time" button that both players should agree and press, to leave the match on hold. Until you meet him again on a later session.

Davladen
06-14-2013, 03:08 AM
+1 for the first idea.

Rydavim
06-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Absolutely to the first thought.
Obviously the priority system makes asynchronous play tricky to the point that it's probably unfeasible. As someone with TCG friends in -3, +5, and +12 timezones from me, it would be cool if someone found a good way of doing it though. You never know.

OP_Kyle
06-14-2013, 06:17 AM
You'll be able to set timer length (or not have one) in casual 1v1 games. Additionally, most dungeons won't have timers (who cares if you make the AI wait). However, some dungeons will have a timer as part of the dungeon mechanic. But that is the exception.

Asynchronous HEX would be rough to play, and take a long time. We're investigating alternatives.

Icepick
06-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Awesome! That's good to know!

jai151
06-14-2013, 06:23 AM
You'll be able to set timer length (or not have one) in casual 1v1 games.

Best news I've heard all day. Thanks Kyle!

Mexalen
06-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks for clarification Kyle.
Looking forward to see your solution for asynchronous play.

azaleus
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't asynchronous game play work by simply creating a game type that prohibited Quick Actions? Or simply converted any Quick Actions into Basic Actions so that priority was not needed?

jai151
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Wouldn't asynchronous game play work by simply creating a game type that prohibited Quick Actions? Or simply converted any Quick Actions into Basic Actions so that priority was not needed?

Well yes, but that's like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

Zophie
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I think instead of modifying the rules we could just have "Rubberbanding Turns" where you play out your full turn as if the opponent had no response, and then your opponent watches this playback on their end and is given the appropriate opportunities to respond throughout the playback. If they choose to respond to any of the actions it stops the playback, they make their response, and everything you did after that point is cancelled. You then come back and redo the last part of the turn starting after their response. Rinse and repeat until you get through the end of the turn, and then your opponent does the same. You could also break this into three chunks, like pre-attack, attack, post-attack, so the amount of rubberbanding is minimized. I think a large portion of turns will go by without rubberbanding, and will allow those parts of the game to go by quickly, whereas it will slow down when it matters most and you actually need to engage the other player on their turn and make more active responses.

Rtsands45
06-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I believe that in the Angry Joe interview on Youtube Cory stated you will be able to turn off the clock for pvp that isn't tournament pvp also there won't be a clock in PVE at all unless it is a timed dungeon.