PDA

View Full Version : to guild or not to guild...

Mexalen
06-14-2013, 03:34 AM
In other MMOs I played, I'd play along other people I met "on the road", sometimes with friends and oftentimes alone. If I'd need some companions for a quest or an instance I'd ask around the chat (or use other means offered) for assistance.
At some point I always joined up with a guild ...sometimes because they had a funny name, sometimes because I had played along its members before. Usually smaller, casual guilds.

I never joined them out of necessity.

I know we are far from knowing stuff like that yet, but do you think there will be a necessity to join a guild? What are the benefits (besides having someone to trade cards with and join for a raid without asking around)?
If you're in a guild: why did you join?

Thanks for the input!

Facilier
06-14-2013, 03:37 AM
10% Experience bonus if the guild leader is a Guild Master backer, access to decks from the guild library, likely other things we have not had confirmed at this time

Chiany
06-14-2013, 03:40 AM
I joined the guild not because of the perks, but because I like being in a group of like minded people.

Athravan
06-14-2013, 03:45 AM
I'll be in a guild with the 10% bonus but that's just because one of my group of friends has that perk; I would always join a guild for the social aspects - but if there are guild tournaments and guild events then that's going to foster a good guild community and be nice too. I don't think there will be any "need" to be in a guild, but plenty of good reasons to join an active, social guild.

DisOrd3r
06-14-2013, 04:03 AM
I tend to search for guilds because im a very social person ^^

incitfulmonk21
06-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Not only for all the reasons already mentioned but also to bounce Ideas, talk about strategies, and even learn how to play a TCG as they can be quite intricate.

Guild's are great if you have lot's of questions or are just silly and want someone to joke around with who lives on the other side of the world.

Plus you need someone on the otherside to put a piece of bread on the ground so you can make an earth sandwich.

jai151
06-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Plus you need someone on the otherside to put a piece of bread on the ground so you can make an earth sandwich.

I've heard of fusion cuisine, but that's just ridiculous!

RobHaven
06-14-2013, 07:21 AM
I joined a guild because I wanted easy access to competitive players so I can constantly be challenged in a constructive way, and I also want the opportunity to provide the same thing for players of less experience than I have. I think being in a guild will also (obviously, maybe?) significantly reduce the amount of time you'll need to invest in developing a raid party.

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Guild offers u the chance to meet like minded ppl, to talk about decks, strategies and make friends;not to mention the bonuses u will be getting. This will lead a smoother entrance to the game and an overall better experience

hexinggems
06-14-2013, 07:37 AM
I don't think its a necessity to join a guild, especially if you enjoy doing things on your own, but I think in any kind of MMO type game, it definitely enhances the experience to have others to hash out strategies with. In a game like Hex especially and with all of us in the same boat so to say in the beginning, I think it will be great fun to figure out all the nuances of the game with a smaller group of like minded players as opposed to limiting yourself to the broader aspects of these forums.

Personally I joined because the guild I went with just aligned with what I wanted from another group of Hex players, and the reasons above :)

Aldazar
06-14-2013, 07:47 AM
I dunno, the earth sandwich sounds pretty cool to me! =P

Aldazar
06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
But yeah, more seriously, there are many reasons to join a guild, a few of the obvious ones that come to mind:
-Building relationships with a familiar group of people
-In-game bonuses from being in the guild (in particular if the guild leader(s) pledged at a high enough level)
-A place to share strategies, ideas, secrets, etc.
-A (hopefully) reliable place to turn to for help
-A more organized structure to raids, dungeons, etc.

And many more!

Syndicate is recruiting, so if you're interested, send us a message, or come find us in the guild recruiting thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23986)

Talreth
06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
I joined because my guild is full of cuties

keroko
06-14-2013, 07:55 AM
there'll be a lot of personal responsibility in pve or pvp, might as well travel in caravan, share fires and such.

jai151
06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Just to point out, the person with the Guild Leader perk doesn't actually have to lead the guild. He just has to be a member for the guild to get the bonus.

incitfulmonk21
06-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Just to point out, the person with the Guild Leader perk doesn't actually have to lead the guild. He just has to be a member for the guild to get the bonus.

I vaguely remember this as well will have to re-look for it as that is quite awesome.

Tathel
06-14-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm also not sure about the whole guild thing. For the most part this game seems to be 1v1 or Solo, with a few 3vE.

I like the idea of a group of people to talk to and test decks with but I don't think I specifically need this and I'd rather get to know someone first before committing to tie myself to them officially.

So I think that I will probably wait and maybe eventually run into the same person several times who seems nice and then if they are in a guild that wants more players I would join.

But I do love coat of arms, and logos and cool names. So part of me just wants to join a guild with a cool name to change my sig ^_^

If i was starting a guild i think i would name it
"The Eleven Day Empire" and come up with a way that could fit in hex lore (it's originally a paradox faction thing)

Hmmm come to think of it I suppose Paradox Faction would be a cool name too!

Rapkannibale
06-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Many good reasons have been mentioned already to join a guild. I don't see really any downside to joining a guild as long as you chose one with similar values and interests as you have.

The guild bank sounds like an awesome feature to try out new decks and practice. :)

Stok3d
06-14-2013, 08:24 AM
It's nice to be surrounded by like minded people and always have ppl with similar interests available.

Take Clan Black Blade for example. I intend to be big into PVE and take it quite serious. As a result, I'm also looking to play with others who may also be seriously into PVE and possibly have the Raid Leader +1 card stackable perk. Well, I know it will be easier to find a group as we have a Producer, 7x Dragon Lords, well over 20x Grand Kings, and a handful of RLs. Of the 125x or so members, I know I'll find someone on and ready to play with w/e interests I may have (PVE, PVP, Drafting, Etc).

If you're looking to try out drafting or improve your game, ppl are continuously making guild tutorials and taking others under their wing to share their insight on how they do what they do. Same goes for constructed--it's like walking into a house of ex-pro players that give a personalized approach to improving your game.

Also, the comradery makes it more enjoyable... as do the contests. For instance, our guild lead has already had a contest giving away Hex Shirts, packs and has scheduled tourns with 3x Lotus Gardens and even an Ipad as prizes. It really takes the game to a whole new level if you already have a focused group of like minded ppl to begin your journey of making online friends...

majin
06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
In other MMOs I played, I'd play along other people I met "on the road", sometimes with friends and oftentimes alone. If I'd need some companions for a quest or an instance I'd ask around the chat (or use other means offered) for assistance.
At some point I always joined up with a guild ...sometimes because they had a funny name, sometimes because I had played along its members before. Usually smaller, casual guilds.

I never joined them out of necessity.

I know we are far from knowing stuff like that yet, but do you think there will be a necessity to join a guild? What are the benefits (besides having someone to trade cards with and join for a raid without asking around)?
If you're in a guild: why did you join?

Thanks for the input!

i checked out my current guild because a fellow Filipino introduced me to it. It seems great so I applied and found out that there are 2 more Filipinos there (excluding my wife who will definitely apply too once alpha is near as she's still busy on Ragnarok 2 to think about Hex this early).

Then I met a lot of other social people who have similar interest as me and luckily near my age group too and the discussions aren't just about the game so I was enticed to start posting too.

Now, I am glad that I did and I didn't even once think that I will get that 10% xp from the guild on PvE as I too don't join guilds because of the benefits but for the idea of playing together with people whom you get along with (not 100% of the time as that's impossible) and would make your game experience more enjoyable than doing it alone.

Don't get me wrong, I played a lot of MMO while being guildless and just interact regularly with online friends along the way, it's not a question of you can't play a game without being in a guild, it's more of the sense of belonging to be with group of people who share your interest aside from the game itself (as we're all interested in Hex that's why we are here)

Hope to see you here too in the future

PS: most of my guildies are the one with the CBB image sigs ^___^

RdaCHAN
06-14-2013, 08:56 AM
I joined guilds because it is a great way to make usuals aka companions if none of your real life friends play the game, it is always fun to have people you have memories with to play along with :) I'm hoping to make a guild for this game but as of now it's not looking so good lololol ;D

tecnophi
06-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I believe that there is a bit of reluctance for some people in joining guilds, because sometimes the guild requires an amount of loyality are/or commitment. Which I can understand both sides of thinking. The player doesn't want to join a guild that they aren't sure about and may leave on first sign of trouble. And the guild doesn't want to invite someone that may make the guild worse (socially and/or play skill) or instable. Understandable concerns, so it makes it very important for both parties to know what they are getting in to.

I am concerning using my guild-related kickstarter perks to just have an "open/zerg" guild (as long as the guild system protects from individuals stealing from the guild bank and the such). I'm not sure what part of Hex I'll be in to the most of Hex, but I know I would like to share the benefits of the 10% PvE experience bonus with people. Basically invite anyone that wants in, and no hard feelings about leaving or even forming another guild from within. Let players have somewhere to look for parties or conversion that'll hopefully be a little better than general chat.

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 09:18 AM
I think if you guild now you will have a leg up during the release. All of the organization and idea ironing will have been taken care of. There are several quality guilds being formed now and I'm having a hell of a time deciding on one...

Tathel
06-14-2013, 09:22 AM
I think if you guild now you will have a leg up during the release. All of the organization and idea ironing will have been taken care of. There are several quality guilds being formed now and I'm having a hell of a time deciding on one...

This is my fear too, I'm worried that if i wait to meet people in game all the serious guilds will be pretty solidified and I'll end up with a guild that is more or less just a bunch of people that clicked "join guild"

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
This is my fear too, I'm worried that if i wait to meet people in game all the serious guilds will be pretty solidified and I'll end up with a guild that is more or less just a bunch of people that clicked "join guild"

Yeah if you are interested in being competitive it is in your best interest to join one now. I know I need to join one soon as I have a ridiculous mmo/tcg resume, I just can't decide.

TheKraken
06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Brumby & Tathel

Y'all should should check out my guild's recruitment thread - Clan BlackBlade. I was going through the same thing a couple days ago but decided to join CBB because it represented everything I was looking for: a mature and competitive guild that's very friendly. There's no time commitment and it's not cutthroat but also has a lot of members who have a strong pedigree who are looking to compete. We have members ranging from squire to producer, from no experience to 20+ years in the competitive field.

I agree with what yall have said - guilds provide a great social environment and should only enrich the Hex gaming experience. Even if a person only likes to play solo, guilds offer a place to theorycraft on a higher level.

ConnorJS
06-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Why play an MMO and not be sociable? Guilds are a key part to any MMO and not being in one would be pointless in my opinion.

nicosharp
06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
This game still enables nomad mode... However, the MMO aspect sounds like it is more tied to Guild play then it is to randomly meeting a player at a quest or in a dungeon. It is hard for me to visualize the global social plan for the game at this time. The extra buffs to Guilds, and the ability to share within a guild just strongly leverages me to join one.. or in this case, make one.

Tathel
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Y'all should should check out my guild's recruitment thread - Clan BlackBlade. I was going through the same thing a couple days ago but decided to join CBB because it represented everything I was looking for: a mature and competitive guild that's very friendly. There's no time commitment and it's not cutthroat but also has a lot of members who have a strong pedigree who are looking to compete. We have members ranging from squire to producer, from no experience to 20+ years in the competitive field.

I read the guild forum post and think CBB would probably suit me fine so I've applied! Thanks

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I read the guild forum post and think CBB would probably suit me fine so I've applied! Thanks

I think u will be most welcome :)

UltimateGranis
06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
I want a guild just for me and my friends to easily share decks at anytime. Make a deck at 3:30 am and then go to sleep. Friend checks, test plays, and makes notes. I wake up try it myself etc. All of the best decks I've had came from the culmination of all my friends and I working together. Too many people though can lead to excess scrutiny, but i'm not sure how the game community will be effected with it being digital.

Corpselocker
06-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Guilds are sharing ideas right now that are not on the Hextcg forums. They challenge each other with ideas. They are building guides to help newer folks learn the in's and out's.

So, yes, I'd get into a guild now. There isn't any commitment. If you get in one and don't like it, politely let the leader know, and try another one out.

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 10:56 AM

I agree that CBB has the same viewpoint as me, but I'm worried about one thing- the size. I don't see them putting a cap on guild number and it is hard to maintain a guild feel with a very large number of members. The more members you have, the more impersonal the guild can become. At the same time, the more you have the easier it is to group up. There has to be a happy medium. If you get too many people then you will cause a divide and that one guild will break off into two guilds: the casual and hardcore. I'm not saying this to offend anyone, I just have a lot of experience with how guilds work.

majin
06-14-2013, 11:04 AM
hehe, too many CBB members posting here :P

Dralon
06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't think it's ever too early to join a guild. At this stage it's a great chance to find like minded people, and talk about a common hobby. If you find over time that play styles, play times, personalities, or whatever, don't mesh with the guild you joined, you can decide to move on, but will have likely made some friends in the process.

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
I agree that CBB has the same viewpoint as me, but I'm worried about one thing- the size. I don't see them putting a cap on guild number and it is hard to maintain a guild feel with a very large number of members. The more members you have, the more impersonal the guild can become. At the same time, the more you have the easier it is to group up. There has to be a happy medium. If you get too many people then you will cause a divide and that one guild will break off into two guilds: the casual and hardcore. I'm not saying this to offend anyone, I just have a lot of experience with how guilds work.

For me the more ppl the merrier; more ppl to play with, more ideas, more strategy, more planning. Chances also are that u will find more ppl of ur own timezone or country to play with and have fun; Small communities break down when they lose key ppl or turn elitist and die. As for casual vs hardcore what's there to worry about ? u can choose to be with either anytime. Nobody will force u to choose sides.

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
For me the more ppl the merrier; more ppl to play with, more ideas, more strategy, more planning. Chances also are that u will find more ppl of ur own timezone or country to play with and have fun; Small communities break down when they lose key ppl or turn elitist and die. As for casual vs hardcore what's there to worry about ? u can choose to be with either anytime. Nobody will force u to choose sides.

The problem is more with the smaller groups that form within the larger group. Like you said, small groups will form based on time zones and other factors. These small groups tend to break off and create their own guild. If you have too many small groups in one larger group it generally won't work. The A-team will form, the members not in that will feel shafted and leave.

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 11:47 AM
The problem is more with the smaller groups that form within the larger group. Like you said, small groups will form based on time zones and other factors. These small groups tend to break off and create their own guild. If you have too many small groups in one larger group it generally won't work. The A-team will form, the members not in that will feel shafted and leave.

Forming a small group in this case won't work either; let's say u loose a member wouldn't u be short-handed ? while being in a bigger guild u can easily replace what u lost from the guild pool. Lost doesn't necessarily means pll that quit ur guild, but ppl that can't play for any reason like work, wife etc. Forming friendships or being closer to some ppl than others happens in any community (due to interests, timezones, or like mindedness)so I don't see why u have to feel excluded

ZeroCool
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
The reasons I joined a guild here are the same as why I joined them in traditional MMO games.

I like to play with people I know, either online or in the real world.

I like to play with like minded people.

Easier to find people to partner with when necessary.

Guild Banks/Trading is better.

Extra perks, 10% experience I believe.

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Forming a small group in this case won't work either; let's say u loose a member wouldn't u be short-handed ? while being in a bigger guild u can easily replace what u lost from the guild pool. Lost doesn't necessarily means pll that quit ur guild, but ppl that can't play for any reason like work, wife etc. Forming friendships or being closer to some ppl than others happens in any community (due to interests, timezones, or like mindedness)so I don't see why u have to feel excluded

My idea of a healthy sized guild is 60-ish. You still can afford to lose people, but lose less people overall because each person feels more valued. The more you have, the higher the turnover rate will be higher. The more "so and so has left the guild" messages you see, the more people are likely to leave which can often lead to mass exodus. I'm not worried about being left out as I've always been in the A-team. I don't mean to sound arrogant there, I'm legitimately concerned with the overall health of the guild. The destruction of a guild can be an emotionally trying thing once bonds are formed.

Tathel
06-14-2013, 12:17 PM

I thought about this too. But came to the conclusion that if a small group forms and they break off that isn't really a bad thing. The new guild can just be a brother or sister guild, there is no reason it would have to lead to any anger. But maybe healthy rivalry that is good for both groups.

Even in worse case scenario that your base completely splits all that means is that CBB helped as a founding location for many guilds of people who get along very well. And the core of CBB would have no reason to leave as it'd be redundant for them to abandon their guild to make another

Bloodroot
06-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a small group of friends that I play online games with. Most of us end up in any particular game, in this case four of us backed Hex. We played EQ, AC, DAoC and so on...the last guild we were in with strangers was in the first year of WoW. The guild fell apart as so many do and we realized that we liked having our own little thing. So now in in every new game we just make our own guild.

I think Hex is especially well-suited for us(we've all been Magic players at various times too) because it doesn't require large groups of people for cooperative PVE. Also, the features mentioned for guilds sound like they would benefit us. So we'll just form our own guild again and have fun.

I prefer games that can accommodate a variety of social structures, from your super-elite type a groups to your crazy everyone-can-invite-anyone thousand player affairs....to a small group of RL friends. That way everyone can do what they want and enjoy the game.

TheKraken
06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
@Brumby

Your concerns about the size of a guild is definitely legitimate. I believe Hex is a different kind of beast than many other multiplayer games and actually benefit more with more members. Please hear me out:

Unlike WoW, raiding will only have 3 members; unlike StarCraft, there won't be a main 4 player team competing in a large scale tournament. The benefits of a guild in Hex are:

- having reliable raid partners around the clock
- theorycraft on a higher level, with the guild bank, practicing 1v1, etc.
- have a more mature setting
- enjoy the benefits of in-guild events - e.g. CBB will have in-guild tournaments with prizes

if the foundation is strong, leadership is strong, and there are many things to engage members, I believe it's benefit to be in a larger guild, unlike other games.

Jinuyr has established a solid foundation so I think Clan BlackBlade will be around for a long time :)

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
@Brumby

Your concerns about the size of a guild is definitely legitimate. I believe Hex is a different kind of beast than many other multiplayer games and actually benefit more with more members. Please hear me out:

Unlike WoW, raiding will only have 3 members; unlike StarCraft, there won't be a main 4 player team competing in a large scale tournament. The benefits of a guild in Hex are:

- having reliable raid partners around the clock
- theorycraft on a higher level, with the guild bank, practicing 1v1, etc.
- have a more mature setting
- enjoy the benefits of in-guild events - e.g. CBB will have in-guild tournaments with prizes

if the foundation is strong, leadership is strong, and there are many things to engage members, I believe it's benefit to be in a larger guild, unlike other games.

Jinuyr has established a solid foundation so I think Clan BlackBlade will be around for a long time :)

Well said. And on that note... I've already been a lurking member of CBB for about a month. Lol

TheKraken
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Haha, well our little exchanges will be helpful for others to make an informed decision.

Like I said earlier - for those on the fence about joining a guild - definitely consider joining one - it should only enrich your Hex experience.

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Well said. And on that note... I've already been a lurking member of CBB for about a month. Lol

Stop lurking outside my lad and step in ; its cosy, ale is plenty and we are having a feast..:)

Brumby66
06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Stop lurking outside my lad and step in ; its cosy, ale is plenty and we are having a feast..:)

I've been in and have a fair amount of posts. I've just been half committed, torn between two guilds.

Mike411
06-14-2013, 03:41 PM
I hope they put in guild alliances. Which would mean, keeping your existing guild intact while being able to interact with the alliance of guilds as well. I stole this idea from another game - it seems to work quite well there.

Captain_Obvious
06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I hope they put in guild alliances. Which would mean, keeping your existing guild intact while being able to interact with the alliance of guilds as well. I stole this idea from another game - it seems to work quite well there.

~ Translation Partaaay whoo ~

ギルド リーグ希望を置きます。他の言葉では、既存のギルドのギルドとのパートナーシップで動作します。非常によく 動作するように私のゲームのためのアイデアを盗んだと思われます。
back into English
Place the Guild League hopes. In other words, work in partnership with existing Guild Guild. Seems that stole the idea for my game to work very well.

Tyrfang
06-14-2013, 03:54 PM

ギルド リーグ希望を置きます。他の言葉では、既存のギルドのギルドとのパートナーシップで動作します。非常によく 動作するように私のゲームのためのアイデアを盗んだと思われます。
back into English
Place the Guild League hopes. In other words, work in partnership with existing Guild Guild. Seems that stole the idea for my game to work very well.

Did I accidentally set off a troll?

Baigan
06-14-2013, 05:20 PM
My idea of a healthy sized guild is 60-ish. You still can afford to lose people, but lose less people overall because each person feels more valued. The more you have, the higher the turnover rate will be higher. The more "so and so has left the guild" messages you see, the more people are likely to leave which can often lead to mass exodus. I'm not worried about being left out as I've always been in the A-team. I don't mean to sound arrogant there, I'm legitimately concerned with the overall health of the guild. The destruction of a guild can be an emotionally trying thing once bonds are formed.

This is a discussion we've had recently in the guild I'm in (Steadfast). We're shooting for around 30 people. Personally, the reason I want to join a guild is to have a group of people whom I get to know well, enjoy talking to, and can go on raids as well. It would be rather difficult for me to get to know 60 people well like that. :?

nicosharp
06-14-2013, 05:27 PM
The worst guilds to me are the Zerg guilds with no common identity other than "we do stuff together, and someone will always be online".

I like the personal interaction of getting to know people, and having a common interest or personal lifestyle. The gaming side of things is shallow and impersonal if that is the only facet you interact through. This is why roleplaying guilds, and large guilds are huge turn-offs.

With that said, Cornerstone is already getting to be quite large. I think we may cap at 60-80 people, with exceptions for friends and family of current guild members. I don't want people to feel like they are just extra bodies, and I want everyone that wants to participate to get a chance to participate in guild sponsored tournaments.

Grissnap
06-15-2013, 05:57 AM

back into English

まぁ、グーグル先生の機会翻訳を使ってしまうと、こんなもんが出るもんね~

Aaaanyway, personally, guilds seems like a great way to do serious deck testing and I'm hoping eventually to join up with a group of some of the more serious people to up my PvP game.

NaharPT
06-15-2013, 07:33 AM
I thought about this too. But came to the conclusion that if a small group forms and they break off that isn't really a bad thing. The new guild can just be a brother or sister guild, there is no reason it would have to lead to any anger. But maybe healthy rivalry that is good for both groups.

Even in worse case scenario that your base completely splits all that means is that CBB helped as a founding location for many guilds of people who get along very well. And the core of CBB would have no reason to leave as it'd be redundant for them to abandon their guild to make another

Totally agree with this.

Corpselocker
06-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Capping a guild right now seems premature. Members who sign up now may go other places. Joining a guild now is a casual non-binding agreement. Murder Inc. is big, but we expect our numbers come beta will shrink.

Don't forget, Guild Wars will most likely be won by larger guilds.

Brumby66
06-15-2013, 09:10 AM

It depends how it is implemented. Hopefully it's not just a zergfest.

Shadowelf
06-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Did I accidentally set off a troll?

Yasi's little brother or Yasi's account of redemption most probably

Capping a guild right now seems premature. Members who sign up now may go other places. Joining a guild now is a casual non-binding agreement. Murder Inc. is big, but we expect our numbers come beta will shrink.

My thoughts exactly :)

keldrin
06-25-2013, 06:44 AM
I like the guild line. Adds a social aspect, any hobby is funner when you have people you know that you can talk about it with.
The concept of being able to find skilled players with properly made decks to raid with is a major plus in PVE. Random raid pickup will be a lot of hit and miss. Or possibly miss and miss. Raid will be hard, so good people raiding with you will be important I think.
The guild bank is a cool concept.
In guild is a great place to find people for casual PVP. You can test new decks out with guild mates. Possibly even asking for certain themed decks to test against your new deck.
Several guilds have talked about in guild tournaments. Either for fun, or for prizes.
Having skilled players on your side, may be a major help when your deck just isn't performing like it should, and maybe you're not sure how to fix it.
Being in a guild is not necessary.
But, I think it will enhance your experience, and gets you access to some resources you would not otherwise have.
There is room for argument here, but I think that being in a good guild is more beneficial for PVE than PVP, because of the multi-player raids.
The flip side argument is, if you want to compete at the top levels in PVP, being with a solid guild can likely help you reach that level of play.