PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Delving

Shaqattaq
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
by Michael Kirchhoff

For the past several weeks, I have been spending most of my time deeply sunk into the dungeons of Entrath, which explains why my complexion is pale, my eyes sallow, my clothes old and tattered, and I smell vaguely of Doritos. (No, wait, sorry, that's how I always am.)

http://hextcg.com/dungeon-delving/

Lochar
06-14-2013, 11:33 AM
No new card spoilers? Drat.

jaxsonbateman
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
No spoilers! /tableflip

Offkors
06-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Where's my spoilers?

Gregzilla
06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Maybe the spoilers will be in the Kickstarter update, and this is just a tease. We've been trained well, after all, hah.

Chiany
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
We can wait abit longer for something usefull, we've been doing it all week...

Verdant
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Honestly, article feels a bit lackluster. Not because of card absence, but, well... it just seems rushed. A few short points rather hastily put here and there, and off you go. Hardly worth the hype of "I have been spending most of my time deeply sunk into the dungeons of Entrath". Hardly worth a week of waiting.

Gregzilla
06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
They HAVE been really busy this week too, though. So, you know.... cut em some slack.

maniza
06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Spoiler cards plz!

Verdant
06-14-2013, 12:06 PM
They HAVE been really busy this week too, though. So, you know.... cut em some slack.
I am. Article still looks underwhelming. Yeah, there are such things as backlog and deadlines, but I'd prefer no article at all rather than a runaround like this.

Edit: however, I'm honestly glad that other people find "Dungeon Delving" quite entertaining.

wererat
06-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I quite enjoyed this article. Baa'Baa the Black had me giggling for an hour!

Qorsair
06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Anyone else love the Woolvir? I want to see them as a playable race. Hopefully I'll at least be able to get a Baa'zerker for a merc.

Nexi
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Guys guys, isn't it more politically correct to call him Baa'Baa the Rainbow now? (bleh at PC, gives me the angries)

mainstager
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Love it! So very looking forward to more PvE! :)

Gregzilla
06-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Actually, I'd love it if somehow we could get Baa'Baa himself as a merc. Like, we defeat him honorably or something and.... BAM

Tiuvath
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
my focus will be on the PvP side, but I am still getting excited about the PvE, looking good :D

OutlandishMatt
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM
I give this article a 4 out of 10 when I compare it to The Kraken's Lair. I love the Kraken article because it goes into detail about mechanics of the dungeon and that's the cool thing to me. This article just gave a run down of the story but I want to know once I get in there all the cool things that will happen. During a duel will a random 1/1 ninja troop pop out and deal 1 damage to me? Kraken's Lair sold me on this game while this one barely holds my attention.

Use some of that money to hire a few Hex community people to put out some daily content. Make that the $2.8 mil stretch goal and I'd buy a Slacker Backer.

Matt

CodexReaper
06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
This article just gave a run down of the story but I want to know once I get in there all the cool things that will happen. During a duel will a random 1/1 ninja troop pop out and deal 1 damage to me? Kraken's Lair sold me on this game while this one barely holds my attention.

Admittedly, there weren't many details in this article, but I don't think that was the point. Rather than yet another in-depth look at a specific dungeon run, we got an overview of several. Personally, I'm cool with this. I find it incredibly interesting that dungeons are much more ingrained into the leveling & storyline progression than it originally seemed...in something like WoW, dungeons can be peripheral to the leveling experience, but Hex seems to weave dungeons & quests together throughout the whole process in a much more connected way - I'll be curious to see how it ends up working.

fitzle
06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
I like the article! I hope you are able to keep mixing up the content like this so that you can have different experiences depending on whether you play Ardent or Underworld.

silverlocke
06-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Seems like you'll have a lot of varied content for the PvE Crew. Interesting writeup. I am very interested in seeing how this plays through alpha and into beta and release.

CodexReaper
06-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Seems like you'll have a lot of varied content for the PvE Crew. Interesting writeup. I am very interested in seeing how this plays through alpha and into beta and release.

I'm honestly getting much more excited about the PvE game every time CZE releases info on it. Obviously still jazzed about PvP (which was why I originally backed it on KS), but PvE continues to get interesting.

shocon
06-14-2013, 07:16 PM
On the other hand, I like that we get a taste, but I want to be surprised when I'm playing. I want to be caught short; I want to see if the deck I'm piloting in combination with my skill is good enough to deal with the challenges I can anticipate, but more importantly also those that I cannot anticipate. It's not as much fun learning about something before hand, building the perfect deck and then romping home. It's more fun having the level of tension rise, not knowing if you'll be able to deal with this new challenge provided. I'm more than happy for Crypto to save things for when we get to come up against it.

And I love Baa'Baa the Black!

Shadowelf
06-14-2013, 07:31 PM
I love faction specific dungeons; this will push me to make characters from both faction to take a taste of everything. Also i like the escalation in difficulty each dungeon will present; easier ones at the beginning to introduce u to the concept, to harder ones as u character progresses and finally raids

Krakanous
06-15-2013, 03:59 AM
A lot of you seem really ungrateful, cut them some slack, would you rather they be writing huge articles every day than working on the game? I don't care if they do what planetary annihilation does, work solidly for 2 weeks and give us a livestream or big update, now that it's alpha they have cut that down even more because there is new build every other day, they are working there asses off, just like th HEX guys are doing now.

I've avoided many spoilers too so i'm not bothered by that at all, id rather keep SOME cards as surprises i don't want ot know all 350+ by the time of release, that's just stupid IMO and hopefully they won't reveal more than 200 max, but that's just me.

I liked the article, it was quick to read and gave good info snippets...and more importantly we made 2.5 million plus so hexcon is happening!

I think all the whiners about "omg no spoilers" and "short article boo" need to chill out and show some respect, what if the game wasn't made, or only made just over 300K? You'd be damn upset/damn appreciative that they'd be taking any time to talk to us at all, if at all! The fact they have their heads screwed on here is superb, even though they made nearly 8x their goal, they are still focused on making the game as awesome as it can be, rather than wasting time. So please, don't be so greedy, we have spoiled and rewarded and praised so much already, time to give it back properly!

Shinjica
06-15-2013, 07:04 AM
A lot of you seem really ungrateful, cut them some slack, would you rather they be writing huge articles every day than working on the game? I don't care if they do what planetary annihilation does, work solidly for 2 weeks and give us a livestream or big update, now that it's alpha they have cut that down even more because there is new build every other day, they are working there asses off, just like th HEX guys are doing now.

I've avoided many spoilers too so i'm not bothered by that at all, id rather keep SOME cards as surprises i don't want ot know all 350+ by the time of release, that's just stupid IMO and hopefully they won't reveal more than 200 max, but that's just me.

I liked the article, it was quick to read and gave good info snippets...and more importantly we made 2.5 million plus so hexcon is happening!

I think all the whiners about "omg no spoilers" and "short article boo" need to chill out and show some respect, what if the game wasn't made, or only made just over 300K? You'd be damn upset/damn appreciative that they'd be taking any time to talk to us at all, if at all! The fact they have their heads screwed on here is superb, even though they made nearly 8x their goal, they are still focused on making the game as awesome as it can be, rather than wasting time. So please, don't be so greedy, we have spoiled and rewarded and praised so much already, time to give it back properly!

oh come'on,

stop being a white knight. People are not whiners, simply we see the difference from the other article and this one

Krakanous
06-15-2013, 04:26 PM
What you prefer i be? King troll? Angry flamer? Or just go along with it all?

I write how i write and from what i see, so one article isn't as in depth as the others, what's exactly the big deal? Atleast i'm not im shouting and swearing and making a scene, i just think some, not all, people get their knickers in a twist over nothing :S.

Zhain
06-15-2013, 08:57 PM
The Woolvir are rediculous, I like that they can interject humor into this game and not take themselves too seriously all the time.

OutlandishMatt
06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I think all the whiners about "omg no spoilers" and "short article boo" need to chill out and show some respect, what if the game wasn't made, or only made just over 300K?

But they didn't. They made an additional $2.2 million over their estimate. I would like for them to use a little of what they have made to hire one or two community people to post on the forums and website for daily content. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Erebus
06-16-2013, 02:36 AM
But they didn't. They made an additional $2.2 million over their estimate. I would like for them to use a little of what they have made to hire one or two community people to post on the forums and website for daily content. I don't think that's too much to ask.

a) It's not any of the stretch goals. Some would argue that paying for community managers is not what they donated money for.

b) even if they did, when would they have a chance to hire said managers? It's only been a week. I pretty sure it takes longer collect resumes and do interviews and find the right people with the love and enthusiasm for the game we have. Anything less would be wrong.

c) Just breathe. Not everyone is an expert writer, and if they spoiled everything, they'd have nothing for when we actually got into the game. Perhaps you were spoiled in the KS, but CZE is a SMALL company. They are not Blizzard, they are not Riot, they are not EA, and they have other responsibilities. They were at E3 where we got to see some more gameplay videos (granted on an older engine) and a few more questions answer. Then they have the NACC for WOWTCG this weekend. Let them catch their breath before you jump down their throats.

Offkors
06-16-2013, 03:30 AM

I think you need to keep in mind that the people saying that there's no spoiler cards are the people that want this game really badly. I'm not sure how being excited about the cards is disrespecting CZE. Also you seem to think that because you don't want spoiler cards, nobody's entitled to them. Just don't read the spoilers when they're released then, a lot of people really appreciate them you know.
I'm actually in favor of a complete spoiler list prior to launch, as are many deckbuilders with me I'm guessing.

Krakanous
06-16-2013, 03:36 AM

That isn't my point at all. My point is, that people are saying (in truth tbh) the previous articles have been great, long, detailed, contained card spoilers etc etc, then as soon as one article is a bit shorter and sweeter, some, notice the word SOME people react like:

*table flip* "Ome, why no spoiler cards, omg article is soooo short, omg, they should spent that money and people to give us info every day gogogogogo!!!!111"

When, why they should they? As said above, they can do what they like, they have already said multiple times in the previous last streams, that once it's over we will be "switching to weekly updates" which may contain less content as these daily ones as we want to be hard at work "delivering the game you guys deserve".

Besides, forum community mods don't know much of anything anyway, like EA they act as annoying "Middle men" that never really know anything directly and get drip fed info that can either be confusing, or frustratingly misleading when its much simpler (like in PA forums) to have the actual devs talk to us directly.

We all know they are capable of writing brilliant articles for us about the game, as we have seen in the past, so why can't people just pay attention and listen and wait a week, some people are just so impatient and greedy, that's what my point is: Wait, be patient, let them work on the game and we'll have another update next week.

It doesn't matter if they 4.4 million, if they didn't actually do anything with the money the game wouldn't release on time so the fact they said straight away, updates will be weekly and may contain less content, i just think people should respect their decision, they don't have to update us at all, that's how normal games are made, we don't get this level of involvement when they make a COD game or an Elder Scrolls game, we are privileged to be so involved, so in depth and so part of the development of this game, so just remember that.

@ offkors

Your twisting my words. 1) I want the game really badly, but i have a bit of self control. 2) Im not saying people shouldn't be excited or it's disrespectful, im saying that some people are coming across as ungrateful that we are even getting any info at all, they could easily not give us any, like i mentioned. 3) Not saying that at all, where did you get that from? That's just my opinion saying i hope they don't reveal more, hence the "IMO" part you seemed to miss, that's what i have been doing, avoiding the spoilers, again i said that. 4) That's fine for them, but it's not for me, i'll be starting out in PVE anyway.

People seem to be attacking me over nothing, i'm not calling everyone whiners, i'm simply just saying some people just don't seem to understand the process and the privileges we already have and some seem to take it for granted. That's all.

mydragoon
06-16-2013, 09:03 PM
I quite enjoyed this article. Baa'Baa the Black had me giggling for an hour!

i noticed quite a number of card names that are tongue-in-cheek and/ or some parody of something else... i wonder if this is a good idea 2-3 years down the road... i mean, will people take this game 'seriously' with such card names or characters? :D