PDA

View Full Version : Replicator's Gambit and Unique creatures

rwmwaffle
06-15-2013, 04:28 AM
On the off chance that someone from CZE reads this, im curious about how these cards will interact. If i play Replicator's Gambit on say, The Kraken and manage to play him again what happens?

Anyone care to speculate? Its my hope that no copies of the unique are made. As much as i would enjoy abusing it, and im fairly certain i could do so rather easily with the currently previewed cards, I would hate to have it done to me. Uniques are unique for a reason.

Icepick
06-15-2013, 04:52 AM
The rule for uniques is that if one is already in play, and another enters, one of them is destroyed. I imagine that this will be the case with Replicator's Gambit too - all 6 copies will be created, but as each one after the first enters play, it's immediately removed. No way to be sure yet, obviously, but that would be my first guess.

Shadowelf
06-15-2013, 05:12 AM
My guess is that it will work exactly like Icepick says; except if the copies share everything besides the unique keyword, which is highly unlikely. Sorry no cute plays with ur uniques :P

EDIT: Actually now that i'm better thinking of it u can do some silly stuff with unique creatures with come into play effects. Draw 6 cards ? sure

Arbiter
06-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Could still be cute if they had fun come into play abilities, but yes, by our current understanding of Unique, one will be left standing.

rwmwaffle
06-15-2013, 05:19 AM
The problem with that is that the cards are still created and go into play so any entering play effects on the cards or other cards in play would trigger.

Icepick
06-15-2013, 06:02 AM
That's true, and with a card like Uruunaz (the blood dragon) it would completely decimate the opponents deck. So I guess there are 3 possibilities.
1: Uniques work differently from what the general assumption is. ie, you simply can't play your second copy at all.
2. Replicator's Gambit won't work on uniques at all.
3. It will all work just as we've discussed, and the payoff should you redraw your Replicated unique will be insanely powerful.

I'm not sure where this notion of how uniques work came from, to be honest. I've not seen it from any official source (which doesn't mean anything, admittedly, as there is a lot of info I've probably not seen), so if it's an assumption based on how Magic works, it would well be wrong.

Pentregarth
06-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Pretty much anything about mechanics that haven't been officially announced is an assumption based on how magic works, since the two games are so similar. But you're right, it might very well be a different case

ossuary
06-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Going by the wording of uniques from CZE's website (http://hextcg.com/card-overview/), yes. Each new one that comes into play would go straight to the graveyard. It's not clear from that simple wording whether or not they would count as "coming into play" long enough to trigger "enter the battlefield" abilities.

Could be interesting though, if they do. Uruunaz, obviously, would be devastating. But really, if you have enough resource to cast him and can afford to put him back in your deck, you should already have won the game. ;)

Looking through the cards, I see a nice possibility for interaction between Replicator's Gambit and Legionnaire of Gawaine (http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/Legionnaire_of_Gawaine) in an inspire deck. Getting 6 of those guys in play would be completely devastating. Ditto with the Sniper of Gawaine (http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/Sniper_of_Gawaine). But still, both of those are pretty high cost, and you can do a lot more damage with RG by getting 6 decent creatures much earlier in the game.

Pentregarth
06-15-2013, 07:17 AM
You don't really need a gambit for urunaaz to work, just chain him with prophet of lodegan (still prohibitively high mana cost, but if you manage to pull it off, you have milled your opponent for 35 by turn 8 - not counting all the other mill cards like fate rack or chronic madness you'll probably put in a deck like that.

wayne
06-15-2013, 08:49 AM
If you have a Kraken in play against me, I have no problem with you shuffling it back into your deck with Replicator's Gambit.

Pentregarth
06-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Well, nobody would use a gambit without The Transcended and some card draw, so I guess you'd get the stuff right back in your face again ^^

Shadowelf
06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Guys u don't have to be too 'cute' with Replicator's Gambit to work something awesome. A creature which replaces itself when comes into play (aka draw a card), will be enough to draw u a new hand of cards...

Malicus
06-15-2013, 09:25 AM
as far as the wording on unique it says all others - but it doesn't say all new go to the graveyard which suggests to me that you would have the choice so you could keep sending the oldest as new ones enter.

jaxsonbateman
06-15-2013, 09:26 AM
I'll be interested to see if someone can actually make it work in PvP. I'm not expecting anyone to - in that side of things it's card disadvantage that loses you board position, and you're very unlikely to see the creature again - and our current tutor, The Transcended, is far too fragile on the way to reaching that final point. But given the power level of the card as a straight up bomb if it does succeed, it should be interesting.

But then most TCGs have plenty of cards capable of being bombs that just never made the cut due to unreliability.

ossuary
06-15-2013, 09:59 AM
You could probably make a decent go of it with a white/blue deck where the main focus is Transcended and Replicator's Gambit + whatever. You could use a powered up Soul Marble for protection until Transcended can attain full power... but again, this combo depends on too many cards to pull off reliably, and will most likely be too slow. Unless your opponent's main win condition is pure damage, in which case white's propensity for life gain could keep you in play long enough to pull it off.

Either way, I like the idea... I'll probably mess around with it a little once we get our filthy mitts on some more cards. :)

jaxsonbateman
06-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Soul Marble just takes so much mana that any aggro deck will crush you, or prevent you from putting mana into it while you try to survive (whilst being a card down because you played the Marble). King Gabriel offers decent protection, but is very expensive for a non control deck (assuming similar curves to Magic). Basically, if a decent card to protect him doesn't come out in the spoilers - one that doesn't need to be cast in response or whatnot - then it's just too weak to pretty much every removal spell.

Icepick
06-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I strongly suspect the best way to use Replicator's Gambit will be in combination with some other card that allows you to search your deck for a specific card. I don't know how common they will be (or if they will even exist at all - my experience with MtG is extremely limited, so I don't know what the precedents here are) but if you can pull your replicator straight back out of the deck it's obviously going to be a pretty powerful combo.

jaxsonbateman
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
That's why we're talking about the Transcended. :-P Given how they've set up some powerful effects based on cards getting shuffled into your library (Rep Gambit, escalation, a few pieces of equipment on cards like Grave Robbing and Omen of Oblivion etc) tutors shouldn't be very common, if they exist at all (in easy-to-play modes, unlike Transcended who requires enough work to make the tutor balanced).

Icepick
06-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Well yeah, obviously the Transcended is a good choice if you can use it, but I was thinking more along the lines of a basic action as a one time thing. But yeah, those sorts of cards might not even exist in Hex, at least for Set 1.

Shadowelf
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
How about rep's gambit +spectral lotus for pve ? Now bear with me; u cast lotus, sac it get a tiger, cast it (with lotus' threshold) then rep it; now next time u draw either a tiger or a lotus u get to draw a new hand of cards.....

jaxsonbateman
06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Honestly, if a deck actually wants to activate the Lotus' power then IMO it should be doing more than playing the Black Tiger off of it. :-P In any case, I did the maths just before, and while this scenario is different from the one I was doing, you'd effectively have to dig 20+ cards in most cases to have about a 50/50 chance of having seen the tiger. So at that point, the Lotus is the main way of cycling cards in hand, and you didn't need RG for that.

In terms of RG though it's certainly a decent target for RG, I'll give it that.

Punk
06-15-2013, 11:45 AM
@OP: A great question. This is another reason why I can't wait for the Comprehensive Rules. =]

The legendary/unique factor is one aspect of every card game that is usually handled differently. Hell, Magic has even changed their ruling on it three times over the years (not entirely sure if the newest rule change has gone into effect yet).

Shadowelf
06-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Honestly, if a deck actually wants to activate the Lotus' power then IMO it should be doing more than playing the Black Tiger off of it. :-P In any case, I did the maths just before, and while this scenario is different from the one I was doing, you'd effectively have to dig 20+ cards in most cases to have about a 50/50 chance of having seen the tiger. So at that point, the Lotus is the main way of cycling cards in hand, and you didn't need RG for that.

In terms of RG though it's certainly a decent target for RG, I'll give it that.

Ok then how about we invite Lord Alexander to the party too ? u get to summon all those tigers off rep's gambit, draw 8 cards and attack for 20 dmg? Ffs pve is gonna be fun (not to mention www)