PDA

View Full Version : Hex API

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Will there be an API available for community developers?

BenRGamer
06-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Unknown, but I'd say probably not for security reasons.

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 07:19 AM
probably not for security reasons.

Wut?

ZacPhoenix
06-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Edit: So apparently I have no idea what an API is. *shuts mouth*

ConnorJS
06-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Will there be an API available for community developers?

Terrible idea, all it will do is help bot developers. Fuck that.

TZHX
06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm of two-minds on this. I look at what games like EVE Online have done with their information-only API, and thought "that'd be really cool". Certainly for looking at your own collection, or seeing what you have listed on the market without having to load up the whole client... that'd be awesome.

But I don't think it should be any sort of priority for the developers. And I definitely wouldn't want the API to do things like buy items off the market, or list items, or make any kind of interaction with the client to select cards.

I also don't think CZE is as technology-focussed as CCP or ArenaNet, and so they may not have the technical confidence to do this in a secure way, and an insecure implementation could be very, very damaging for them.

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 07:49 AM
Terrible idea, all it will do is help bot developers. Fuck that.

An API is not just a set of remote commands, they can also be information-based. Bot developers can write bots that operate without an API too.

It might help people discover ways to exploit the game if they can look "under the hood" so to speak.

Uh, I don't think you know what an API is.

I'm of two-minds on this. I look at what games like EVE Online have done with their information-only API, and thought "that'd be really cool". Certainly for looking at your own collection, or seeing what you have listed on the market without having to load up the whole client... that'd be awesome.

But I don't think it should be any sort of priority for the developers. And I definitely wouldn't want the API to do things like buy items off the market, or list items, or make any kind of interaction with the client to select cards.

I also don't think CZE is as technology-focussed as CCP or ArenaNet, and so they may not have the technical confidence to do this in a secure way, and an insecure implementation could be very, very damaging for them.

Technology-focused? You're joking right? They are developing an MMO game and you say they are not as technology-focused... Any decent programmer should be able to write an API properly.

BenRGamer
06-15-2013, 07:52 AM
They are very security minded over Hex, the very first stretch goal of the Kickstarter was Authenticator Support, no less, I don't think they'll have an API if it can help people exploit the game.

TZHX
06-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Technology-focused? You're joking right? They are developing an MMO game and you say they are not as technology-focused... Any decent programmer should be able to write an API properly.

Their focus from pretty much everything we've seen so far has been on the game side of things, rather than the technology side. They'll be outsourcing the creation of the mobile client. So no, not really joking. I'm not saying they're not technically competent -- but it's not where their interest seems to be, compared with CCP or ArenaNet.

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 08:21 AM
They are very security minded over Hex, the very first stretch goal of the Kickstarter was Authenticator Support, no less, I don't think they'll have an API if it can help people exploit the game.

Yeah... No an API would not help anyone exploit the game unless they are written by monkeys. APIs are interfaces that allow developers to request data from or post data to CZE or Hex, they have nothing to do with the game itself. It can be used to access player inventories, profile, etc.

I don't know why all of you jumped onto the thread because it seems like you know very little about what APIs are meant for. I was just expecting some CZE official to let us know if there was going to be an API available or not.

Mr.Funsocks
06-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Yes, no an API would not help anyone exploit the game unless they are written by monkeys. APIs are interfaces that allow developers to request data from or post data to CZE or Hex, they have nothing to do with the game itself. It can be used to access player inventories, profile, etc.

I don't know why all of you jumped onto the thread because it seems like you know very little about what APIs are meant for. I was just expecting some CZE official to let us know if there was going to be an API available or not.

Because most people have the brain of a turnip when it comes to knowledge of computing.

I doubt access to API hooks would do much for botting in Hex, you still have to program an AI who can play the card game. On the other hand, I don't know what mods would be particularly useful that CZE wouldn't be including in the interface anyway.

Lochar
06-15-2013, 08:30 AM
I doubt access to API hooks would do much for botting in Hex, you still have to program an AI who can play the card game.

And if you can program an AI to play Hex well enough to be noticably good, I think Cory might have a job offer for you. :P

Mr.Funsocks
06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
And if you can program an AI to play Hex well enough to be noticably good, I think Cory might have a job offer for you. :P

Basically...

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Because most people have the brain of a turnip when it comes to knowledge of computing.

I doubt access to API hooks would do much for botting in Hex, you still have to program an AI who can play the card game. On the other hand, I don't know what mods would be particularly useful that CZE wouldn't be including in the interface anyway.

Well, all I'm expecting was informative APIs that allowed access to card data (list of cards, descriptions, properties, etc.). Very much like the TF2 Item Schema, which describes each item with its properties. In my opinion, such an API would be very useful for the community.

Besides that, a profile API would be great too where you would have access to profiles. Profiles that publish public information, could be read through the API and the rest would stay private (or all, if the profile is private).

Yoss
06-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Duplicate thread:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25307

Also, I totally agree with information-only API hooks.

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Duplicate thread:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25307

Also, I totally agree with information-only API hooks.

Thanks for the link; although I searched api and "api", the search either complained that the keyword was too common or showed no results. Sorry for the dupe.

Mavian
06-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the link; although I searched api and "api", the search either complained that the keyword was too common or showed no results. Sorry for the dupe.

Yeah, we had this discussion once before and my mind melted as most people don't know what an API is, but want to voice their opinion on it. I gave examples like Undermine Journal for WoW and similar GW2 sites which only post things for information and statistics via their API and how that would be a huge boon for Hex since the secondary market is a rather big part of any TCG experience.

Was met with similar hostility and ignorance though. For my money though, I really hope they develop a good API, it'd be a huge benefit for the community as a whole (whether some know it or not).

Typhon
06-15-2013, 11:24 AM
I've spoken with CZE about this, and they are working on a program for 3rd-party sites/applications to build upon their platform but I believe it's only in the preliminary discussion phase. Either way, I believe it's only going to be a data-API (profile information, match records, tournament results, etc.). I'll take whatever they can give though; because we're going to build tools against it regardless. LOL!

Betelgeuse
06-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I've spoken with CZE about this, and they are working on a program for 3rd-party sites/applications to build upon their platform but I believe it's only in the preliminary discussion phase. Either way, I believe it's only going to be a data-API (profile information, match records, tournament results, etc.). I'll take whatever they can give though; because we're going to build tools against it regardless. LOL!

Thanks for the info. Data API is good enough. Cheers!