PDA

View Full Version : Pls help a noob with some answers

Sevein
06-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi Guys! Im Sevein and i have, like many others, gotten very interested in Hex the TCG. Thing is i have only played 1 cardgame and that was when i was young and stupid. Now im just stupid. I have a bunch of questions and thing to clarify. Some of them might be general for TCG:s and some might be specific for Hex. I would love it if anybody would help me clear some things up. Been searching around some for my own but maybe theres some kind souls out there to save me some time :)

1. Tier 1? What does it means with boosterpack tier 1? What would tier 2 be? I dont understand the difference. Has it anything to do with the chance of getting rare cards or is it just seasonal things? When is a Tier not for sale any more? Buch of question in one topic. sorry bout that.

2. Primals. Are primals rare cards to be played? I also heard something about god-cards. whats that?

3. Will all cards be availible to gain from playing PvP or will some rare cards only exist from boosterpacks?

4a. Factions. Can i mix cards between 2 factions? and by that i mean Ardent and Underworld. Could i go say Orc/Dwarf-deck? I assume we are free to blend our decks as we want inside the faction at least?

4b. In PvE. Can i play with a friend from another faction when we are doing raids? I go human and he Vennen etc.

4c. Some dungeons are just for some factions i read. Will there be raidbosses that i cant invite my friends to if they are in the wrong faction?

Well thats all for now. thx guys =)

ConnorJS
06-15-2013, 07:31 AM
1) Tier 1 is the top competitive decks, tier 2 is the second best etc.

2) Basically primals only contain rare and legendary rarity cards (the top 2 after common and uncommon)

3) There will be cards that are PvE exclusive, all the other cards can be used for PvP.

4) Factions only applies to your champion, and you can have as many as you want so don't worry about which faction to choose. And yeah decks can be mixed between factions.

B) Yeah both factions can play together.

C) Dungeons and raids are different, dungeons are single player and may be ardent/underworld exclusive.

Aradon
06-15-2013, 07:34 AM
1) The cards in Hex will be released in sets of 350. Each Set currently has a number, so there are Set 1 packs, and later there will be Set 2 packs. The difference is which cards they will contain. There is no difference in price or rarity distributions. Eventually, it is likely (guaranteed?) that Set 1 packs will go out of sale, but we don't know when this will be. I would guess, in about two or three years.

2) Primal packs are packs that contain all rares or legendaries, instead of the 11 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rare split. Cards opened in primal packs are the same as their counterparts from non-primal packs, you just get more rares from primal packs. I haven't heard anything about god cards, but people have referred to Primals as god packs, because they're rare and awesome.

3) The primary method of acquiring cards will be from opening booster packs. You can trade anything and everything over the auction house, so it will likely be possible to buy cards with gold. However, it sounds right now like gold is only available from PvE, so strictly from PvP, if you don't buy boosters, you won't have cards to play with.

4a) Yes, factions are a theme for PvE play, but are not a deck-building restriction.
4b) I think you can, but I'm not sure. Dungeons unlock raids, and some dungeons are faction-specific, so you won't be able both play together on those corresponding raids. Many/most dungeons are available to both factions, though, and I'd bet you could play together in those.
4c) See above. I don't think you'll be able to raid those together. We don't have a lot of info on the faction mechanics right now, unfortunately.

ramseytheory
06-15-2013, 07:35 AM
1. Sets are TCG terminology. Set 1 is the first set of PVP and PVE cards released - it's what will be available at launch. Four months after launch, another set of cards will be released, and that will be Set 2. This will keep happening for the life of the game - one set every four months. Three sets form a block, and the major competitive play format will include all cards from the last two blocks. (All your cards will be usable in PVE forever though, and there are other official formats that use cards from all blocks.)

2. Setting-wise, Primals are basically gods. Game-wise, every booster pack you get will have a random chance of being primal, which means they're filled with rares and legendaries and very valuable. Not sure what you mean by god cards.

3. All PVE cards will be available by playing PVE, all PVP cards will be available from booster packs. There's a very limited crossover between the two (you'll be able to get a few PVE things from booster packs and a few booster packs from PVE), and you'll be able to trade PVE stuff for PVP stuff and vice versa on the Auction House, but that's as far as it goes.

4a. We're free to mix cards however we want in our decks.

4b. I'm pretty sure the answer to this is yes, but I'm not sure.

4c. I assume the answer to this is no, just because there are only three raids right now and locking one of them out to a certain faction seems like a really bad move.

ossuary
06-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Also the term primal does refer to god-like magical entities in the game's lore. From the context of what you said, you may have been referring to those?

Welcome to the community. :-)

Sevein
06-15-2013, 07:42 AM
1) Tier 1 is the top competitive decks, tier 2 is the second best etc.

2) Basically primals only contain rare and legendary rarity cards (the top 2 after common and uncommon)

3) There will be cards that are PvE exclusive, all the other cards can be used for PvP.

4) Factions only applies to your champion, and you can have as many as you want so don't worry about which faction to choose. And yeah decks can be mixed between factions.

B) Yeah both factions can play together.

C) Dungeons and raids are different, dungeons are single player and may be ardent/underworld exclusive.

thx man! I do have to say that i understand even less about Tiers of booster pack thou. Do i decide what tier to buy or do i buy a boosterpack and then get to see what tier that booster pack turns out to be? or if it turns out to be a primal pack. And when u say "top competetive deck" are u refering to that the tier 1 booster-packs contains cards that can not be gotten from a tier 2 booster pack?

Aradon
06-15-2013, 07:45 AM
thx man! I do have to say that i understand even less about Tiers of booster pack thou. Do i decide what tier to buy or do i buy a boosterpack and then get to see what tier that booster pack turns out to be? or if it turns out to be a primal pack. And when u say "top competetive deck" are u refering to that the tier 1 booster-packs contains cards that can not be gotten from a tier 2 booster pack?

'Tiers' usually refer to constructed decks. If I make a deck that wins most competitive games, it's Tier 1, meaning the best. Tier 2 means it can compete, but it probably won't win all the tournaments. Booster packs are organized by Sets, though. Sets are groups of cards released at once. When Hex releases, we'll have 350 PvP cards in Set 1, and you can buy Set 1 booster packs. In a few months, they'll release more cards in Set 2, and you'll be able to specifically buy Set 2 packs, so the choice is always yours. The relative power level of cards in packs should be pretty equal, and they all have the same rarity distribution. The only difference is which pool of cards you're buying.

Whenever you buy a booster pack, it has the chance to become a primal pack. We don't know what that chance is yet.

Sevein
06-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Also the term primal does refer to god-like magical entities in the game's lore. From the context of what you said, you may have been referring to those?

Welcome to the community. :-)

Perhaps thats what i have been reffering too =) what i dont understand is why thease primals are described through different races as if they are a part of the game. From one understanding i get is that a primal pack is just a badass pack with good cards in it. I did read that theres a bunch of "gods"/primals that are named. Can i get those as cards or are they just lore? Like the orc-mountain etc. Will primal packs be themed as in "this is a orcmountainprimal-pack! U get orc-cards!". Sorry for being confused.

And thx btw! :D

Sevein
06-15-2013, 07:48 AM
'Tiers' usually refer to constructed decks. If I make a deck that wins most competitive games, it's Tier 1, meaning the best. Tier 2 means it can compete, but it probably won't win all the tournaments. Booster packs are organized by Sets, though. Sets are groups of cards released at once. When Hex releases, we'll have 350 PvP cards in Set 1, and you can buy Set 1 booster packs. In a few months, they'll release more cards in Set 2, and you'll be able to specifically buy Set 2 packs, so the choice is always yours. The relative power level of cards in packs should be pretty equal, and they all have the same rarity distribution. The only difference is which pool of cards you're buying.

Whenever you buy a booster pack, it has the chance to become a primal pack. We don't know what that chance is yet.

Huge clarification! Thx man!

ZacPhoenix
06-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Welcome to Hex :) We have a great community here and we look forward to you being a part of it!

ramseytheory
06-15-2013, 07:51 AM

There are two separate pieces of terminology here. Tiers refer to individual cards or decks, and are an unofficial measure of how good they are. In particular, you can't choose whether a booster pack contains tier 1 or tier 2 cards. I think you actually meant sets in your original post, which are types of booster packs. Initially there will only be one set, and a new set will be released every four months after release. Generally cards from one set won't be more powerful than cards from another set - they're just a way of adding new cards to the game to keep things fresh.

You can't buy primal packs either - any booster you buy or win has a chance of being a primal pack, and this will be visible before you open it.

Sevein
06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks to ramseytheory and ZacPhoenix as well =)

Frey
06-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi Guys, Sevein started with his qesutions. I hope it want be a problem if I add few more. I brifely read the topic with "compiled list of questions", however I didn't get one point.

Do you if there gona be rotation of cards in PVP? What I mean is for exmaple that you can use only cards from 2 newest sets in PVP. Which I make older cards totaly useless. Do you know plans for that aspect? (I hate it in Mtg).

Next. Are there any statistics about locations of backers from kickstarter? I guess most of people is from US, but how many is from outside US.

ossuary
06-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Yeah the word primal shows up a few different places in Hex, and that can be confusing. :-)

A primal pack is a special booster pack you sometimes randomly get instead of the regular booster you actually bought - like a rare prize. This pack's cards are all rare or legendary instead of mostly common cards.

A primal creature, in terms of the game lore, is a magical being with god-like powers. Some of them are worshiped as gods.

The two have nothing to do with each other; a primal pack doesn't have to have cards all from one faction, what you get is random.

Hope that helps? :-)

Sevein
06-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Yeah the word primal shows up a few different places in Hex, and that can be confusing. :-)

A primal pack is a special booster pack you sometimes randomly get instead of the regular booster you actually bought - like a rare prize. This pack's cards are all rare or legendary instead of mostly common cards.

A primal creature, in terms of the game lore, is a magical being with god-like powers. Some of them are worshiped as gods.

The two have nothing to do with each other; a primal pack doesn't have to have cards all from one faction, what you get is random.

Hope that helps? :-)

Yep! Now i feel alot more enlighted about this matter. Cant wait for the alpha to get started. Will prob get that slacker-deal with entrance =)

CodexReaper
06-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Guys, Sevein started with his qesutions. I hope it want be a problem if I add few more. I brifely read the topic with "compiled list of questions", however I didn't get one point.

Do you if there gona be rotation of cards in PVP? What I mean is for exmaple that you can use only cards from 2 newest sets in PVP. Which I make older cards totaly useless. Do you know plans for that aspect? (I hate it in Mtg).

Next. Are there any statistics about locations of backers from kickstarter? I guess most of people is from US, but how many is from outside US.

Card Rotation: I doubt this would happen - I get the impression that CZE wants to make Hex cards viable regardless of what set you got them from. Part of the problem you have with physical cards in games like MTG, Pokemon, or the WoWTCG, is that if you want to update rules, card abilities, game mechanics, etc., you can't go back and change your old cards. It's easy for cards to become obsolete because, after a few years, they don't accurately reflect how the game is meant to be played, which means you need the most up-to-date cards in order to play competitively. Because Hex is digital, any of the cards from any set can be updated & changed at any time, which means that CZE can easily adapt their product as they improve the game. Yes, as the game grows, certain cards will never or rarely get used, simply because they're weaker & not worth putting in your deck, but I don't think you'll see cards/sets become obsolete in the same way that physical ones do.

Location Stats: CZE has all of that information, since they collected all the billing through Kickstarter. Whether or not they've compiled it all and figured out how many backers they have from which countries is something we don't know - they might announce that at some point, but I personally doubt it. For the record, there seems to be a lot of backers who are from outside the US, our guild has quite a number of them!

Frey
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
CodexReaper thanks for your post. I hope that's gonna be that way. In one interview CZE said that they didn't want to change any cards, however if there gonna be some changes in game mechanic maybe they will bend this rule a little at least. At least I hope I won't be like in Mtg, where you have to buy all the time new cards (which is totaly stupid in my opinion).

Aradon
06-15-2013, 01:28 PM
CodexReaper thanks for your post. I hope that's gonna be that way. In one interview CZE said that they didn't want to change any cards, however if there gonna be some changes in game mechanic maybe they will bend this rule a little at least. At least I hope I won't be like in Mtg, where you have to buy all the time new cards (which is totaly stupid in my opinion).

There are advantages and disadvantages to Set rotation. I suspect CZE will implement a similar system to what Magic has, because it's pretty practical and has something for everyone. The problem with leaving all cards in the competitive format is that, as a critical mass of cards become available, decks rapidly become more powerful, even though the average power level could remain the same. Having such card selection means more options and more fine-tuning, which eventually means that the games get very short, and very narrow in terms of what is competitively viable. Try making a deck for Magic's 'all sets allowed' Vintage format; you'll quickly find that much of your deck is already determined because you absolutely must be playing certain cards. Rotating sets means that many more cards and deck types will be viable.

Fortunately, MtG has options for either preference: those who want to play in a format with every card being legal can, in Vintage and Legacy. There are several narrower formats as well, from Extended to Modern to Standard. I think Cryptozoic will follow a similar path, meaning that there will be competitive formats that allow all cards to be used, as well as formats that only allow more recent cards to be used. You should be able to find something that matches your taste.

Frey
06-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Aradon it's really hard not to agree with you. I'm just worrying, bacuase I'm rather casual player and I will wish to play also PVP games, so it would be hard if the rotations are to often. As you said if there be an option to pick competitive fromats it will be perfect for me. Also it will depend how often the roration will take palce. eg. 1 rotation for 4-5 sets it won't be such a big problem I guess, however if there are mor often it could be for causal players.

ramseytheory
06-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Aradon it's really hard not to agree with you. I'm just worrying, bacuase I'm rather casual player and I will wish to play also PVP games, so it would be hard if the rotations are to often. As you said if there be an option to pick competitive fromats it will be perfect for me. Also it will depend how often the roration will take palce. eg. 1 rotation for 4-5 sets it won't be such a big problem I guess, however if there are mor often it could be for causal players.

In Magic there's Standard (cards from the last year), Extended (cards from the last four years), Modern (all cards since 2003), and Vintage or Legacy (all cards). I suspect Hex will have a similar variety of formats - cards going out of rotation in the Standard-equivalent won't be a big deal.

As far as new casual players go, I think long-term it's actually really important to have a format like Standard with a short rotation. For example, in Magic, for a new player, which is more intimidating - having to learn the 679 cards released in the last year, or having to learn the 13,144 cards released over the life of the game?

Frey
06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
a new player, which is more intimidating - having to learn the 679 cards released in the last year, or having to learn the 13,144 cards released over the life of the game?

13,144 cards maybe, but with or without dublicates? There are cards which are dublicated, triplicated, and cloned more times.

On the other hand I think Hex shouldn't copy so much from Magic (already game machanic looks very similar). So maybe Hex will have different approach. We must wait untill Devs say sth about that subject.

CodexReaper
06-15-2013, 02:37 PM
In Magic there's Standard (cards from the last year), Extended (cards from the last four years), Modern (all cards since 2003), and Vintage or Legacy (all cards). I suspect Hex will have a similar variety of formats - cards going out of rotation in the Standard-equivalent won't be a big deal.

As far as new casual players go, I think long-term it's actually really important to have a format like Standard with a short rotation. For example, in Magic, for a new player, which is more intimidating - having to learn the 679 cards released in the last year, or having to learn the 13,144 cards released over the life of the game?

That's actually a really good point, hadn't considered that.

Mr.Funsocks
06-15-2013, 03:17 PM
On the other hand I think Hex shouldn't copy so much from Magic (already game machanic looks very similar). So maybe Hex will have different approach.

Why not? MtG is and has been, the best TCG out there, with a great set of rules and by far the largest fan base of any TCG.