PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Life Points?

Justinkp
06-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot...

Do you think we may be able to choose our life pool outside of tournaments/drafts etc.? So that when playing with friends we can up the total if we prefer longer games or lower it if we don't have much time.

Seems easy enough to implement and I don't see the harm.

Justin

jaxsonbateman
06-15-2013, 10:24 AM
That seems like it could be fun.

Hopefully there'll at least be some casual formats down the track that have higher life totals. While I know this would pretty much be even more of a steal from Magic than other ideas, EDH (Elder Dragon Highlander) is an awesome format, and I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if it one day made its way to Hex.

Justinkp
06-15-2013, 10:40 AM
That seems like it could be fun.

Hopefully there'll at least be some casual formats down the track that have higher life totals. While I know this would pretty much be even more of a steal from Magic than other ideas, EDH (Elder Dragon Highlander) is an awesome format, and I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if it one day made its way to Hex.

Wow, Elder Dragon Highlander is an awesome name, I'm going to have to look that up. How many formats does Magic have anyway? I keep hearing about ones I've never heard of (I'm trying to read up a lot on magic but its pretty daunting).

Justin

ConnorJS
06-15-2013, 10:43 AM
That would be cool, when I first learnt to play MTG me and my partner thought it was 40 LP. Although we were playing it 'wrong' the games were still great :).

Alzorath
06-15-2013, 10:45 AM
heh, pretty much as many as you can imagine justin - unless you're only interested in 'official' formats... My personal favorite formats are Emperor/King Format (it has a ton of names, that vary depending on where you're at... I think "Emperor" was the favorite when I still played MtG) and Two-Headed Giant.

FFA is really common too, just not as fun for me. (I prefer the one where you always attack to the left or right, rather than just anyone)

And on top of all the 'normal' formats... you can also jump into draft formats (oh how I would love to try some kind of Two-Headed Giant or Emperor Draft format, but those would be awkward as hell to set up)

Icepick
06-15-2013, 10:48 AM
How many formats does Magic have anyway?

Lots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_formats

ossuary
06-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I like big game formats with nasty politics, myself. I don't know if there is an official MtG analogue, but we always played a format called Empire, where you had seven players sitting around, and you could only attack to either side of you, or cast up to 2 players away. Last man standing wins. Made for some hilarious temporary alliances and betrayals. :)

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 11:30 AM
im sure they can implement custom game modes just for fun... where you can increase / decrease, life total, number of cards in your starting hand, the number of cards you draw a turn, and other things like that....

Justinkp
06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Lots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_formats

A lot of these sound really fun. I hope hex eventually has a lot of casual formats like this.

Justinkp
06-15-2013, 11:57 AM
heh, pretty much as many as you can imagine justin - unless you're only interested in 'official' formats... My personal favorite formats are Emperor/King Format (it has a ton of names, that vary depending on where you're at... I think "Emperor" was the favorite when I still played MtG) and Two-Headed Giant.

FFA is really common too, just not as fun for me. (I prefer the one where you always attack to the left or right, rather than just anyone)

And on top of all the 'normal' formats... you can also jump into draft formats (oh how I would love to try some kind of Two-Headed Giant or Emperor Draft format, but those would be awkward as hell to set up)

Just read about emperor and I think I'd really like that version. Does seem hard to draft for but I bet something could be worked out.

Justin