PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Market - what will be allowed?

Rapkannibale
06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering, CZE has said several times that they don't want to interfere with the secondary market. So I am assuming that means it will be allowed to sell/buy cards on a website not affiliated with CZE. Has that been confirmed or are these just assumptions so far?

Do you folks think these kind of websites will be successful? With Magic Online they work in part because Magic's trading interface is pretty awful. So assuming Hex's auction house is fully featured and awesome, will there still be a need for these websites? I guess as long as there is no way to get money out of the system these websites would fill that need, but CZE could at some point introduce a real money AH as well.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Yoss
06-15-2013, 11:31 AM
I expect the AH to handle the majority of trading. People who want to cash out should use eBay because eBay provides buyer protection against scammers.

S117
06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
The question, though, is will eBay allow it?

On the one hand they say "No selling digital items."

On the other you can (and I have repeatedly) sell MTGO stuff on it. They even have a catigory for MTGO specifically...

So I hope so...would be nice if I have spare gold from dungeoning...

Athravan
06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
If the auction house takes a fee then I'd expect some people to use third party sites to avoid that fee if possible. Even games like Diablo 3, where a full integrated auction house is available, third party sites are still very popular for selling high-end gear because it avoids any AH cuts - but of course, adds a higher risk of getting scammed. Also as you say, if there's no way of cashing out for real money, then people will definitely use a third party site for some things.

Personally I'd rather pay fees than risk getting scammed myself.

Kietay
06-15-2013, 12:23 PM
If the auction house takes a fee then I'd expect some people to use third party sites to avoid that fee if possible. Even games like Diablo 3, where a full integrated auction house is available, third party sites are still very popular for selling high-end gear because it avoids any AH cuts - but of course, adds a higher risk of getting scammed. Also as you say, if there's no way of cashing out for real money, then people will definitely use a third party site for some things.

Personally I'd rather pay fees than risk getting scammed myself.

3rd Party sites always have fees too. Everyone has to make money somehow.

Either way they likely wont interfere with any 3rd party trading at all. As well, Cory has said he would like a RMAH eventually but there are a lot of hoops to jump through before that happens. Rest assured you will be able to cash out no matter what though!

Shadowelf
06-15-2013, 12:42 PM
It is hard to track, interfere and therefore prevent third party trading, so it will be unavoidable. The sooner however they incorporate a RMAH into the game, the less money they will lose off sales. I know it will be a pain in the ass due to legal obstacles, but if others found a way, cze will too

Athravan
06-15-2013, 12:50 PM
3rd Party sites always have fees too. Everyone has to make money somehow.

Either way they likely wont interfere with any 3rd party trading at all. As well, Cory has said he would like a RMAH eventually but there are a lot of hoops to jump through before that happens. Rest assured you will be able to cash out no matter what though!

Well I have only used third party trading with Diablo 3 personally, and there are 2 major sites that are just discussion / for sale boards that have very large amounts of selling; they have no fees - but a lot of adverts, and get a fair amount of traffic, so I assume that the site owners make their money from traffic impressions. I daresay there will be a few hex forums with a for sale/trade board.

stiii
06-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I expect the AH to handle the majority of trading. People who want to cash out should use eBay because eBay provides buyer protection against scammers.

I wouldn't want to cash out using Ebay they pretty much always favour the buyer so your protection from scammers is pretty minimal.

Whenever I cashed out from modo I just sold to people I knew and I'd assume you'd have people within your own guild or on FB. This does require knowing people who want play but there has to be way more people buying from the shop than wanting to cash out for the game to support itself in the first place.

Typhon
06-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I can tell you that we will be providing full tools to allow people to cash out their platinum, and other services ... but it's all dependent on the tools that CZE provides. For instance, if they don't have a mechanism for people to trade Platinum; then it becomes a moot point. But we're going to try and offer services outside of the official AH.

I don't what that's going to look like yet; since we don't have enough information. If it's a very manual process, we will probably have to look at a %-based transaction fee; if some aspects of it can be botted (mail bots; not game bots), then we should be fine.

I would definitely not use ebay though; they are not set up to scale for micro-payments (transactions under $10). We have micropayment partners already in place; so that's a non issue.