PDA

View Full Version : Buying Plat in Bulk Bonus?

DanTheMeek
06-15-2013, 12:04 PM
So I've played a number of different online tcgs (and other similar games) over the years and one thing I've noticed a lot is that they often have an in game currency you have to buy first instead of just buying things with money directly. Hex seems to be doing this as well, their in-game equivalent of real money being platinum. However one of the other things I see companies do often is to give you bonus currency if you buy in bulk. There is usually tiers, with your bonus currency percentage increasing the more you buy at once until it reaches some maximum. The end result is that, if you ever plan to spend whatever that maximum amount is on the game, you're better off buying it all at once and just saving the extra you don't' need now.

Now this is not an uncommon practice in any are of business, to give reduced rates or extra product in exchange for buying in bulk. And it makes sense as it can often talk some one into spending more then they want to in order to get the best value. However, I also found, that it could have a pretty negative effect on those who were more financially burdened.

Now recently I've moved up quite a bit financially, I'm far from wealthy, but I'm no longer living on ramen noodles and banquet frozen dinners as I was for years after graduating college and being forced to work for slightly more then minimum wage to support myself and my wife. As such, if Hex does implement this common system, it shouldn't' effect me too much, but having been financially strapped for so many years, I know from first hand experience that these pricing models can actually cost a company sales and players. The reason was simple, I'd see how much I was missing out on by not spending it all at once up front, and I'd either try to save up the money, or in many cases I'd choose to just not spend at all rather then gip myself on value for my money just because I was poor.

The problem with saving was that time and time again the combination of my lack of new content (since i wasn't buying anything) and new games I was interested in coming out resulted in my either never actually saving up enough cause I was buying other things, or even just eventually just migrating away from the game due to boredom with using the same cards for months on end.

So I bring to you all two questions and a suggestion. The first question is:

1) Will/should Hex give increased platinum for buying platinum in bulk?

2) If they will/should, how do you think that such an system could be improved over the traditional one?

My own suggestion would be to keep track of a persons spending and give out the bonuses as you reach each tier over time. For example, suppose they decide that for every dollar you spend you get 10 plat (thus plat is equal to 10 cents) but for every 10 dollars you spend you get an extra 10 plat (110 total instead of 100). If you spend 5 dollars you only get 50 plat, but should you later spend 5 more dollars, you actually get 60 plat this time (50 as normal + the 10 bonus for passing the 10 dollar tier). They could have it ramp up over time like a level up system, where the next tier gave progressively better benefits, but eventually you hit a max level (say at 100 dollars spent on the account) where every new tier of 10 dollars spent you get that same amount of bonus plat.

The exact numbers aren't as important as the idea that if I spend 5 dollars now, I might not get bonus plat, but the game remembers I spent that 5 dollars so that if I'm a kid who gets 5 dollars a week in allowance, I know that I can safely spend it and enjoy it now, and in a week when I spend another 5 dollars I'm gonna reap the same benefits as if I spent 10 all at once. Cryptozoic doesn't really lose out on anything, since they're never giving out more bonus plat then they would have to people who bought in bulk all at once anyway, but players who can't afford to buy all at once can take their time and reach those bonuses at their own financial pace.

I hope that made sense, like I said this isn't something I personally necessarily need anymore, but I'm willing to bet there are still plenty of potential players out there in the financial situation I used to be in that this sort of system would be a huge boon for.

syphonhail
06-15-2013, 01:06 PM
They should not offer a bulk discount on platinum at all. A flat price allows for a more stable currency in the secondary market.

Punk
06-15-2013, 02:00 PM
They should not offer a bulk discount on platinum at all. A flat price allows for a more stable currency in the secondary market.

Nailed it.

Thelaasa
06-15-2013, 02:04 PM
The only form of "bonus" plat that I could see them using effectively is a system that gives you X amount bonus based on buying a bundle of plat. For example, say the cheapest bundle is 10 plat, and then you have bundles of 25, 50, 100, and 200 plat. I could see them offering a small bonus to the higher bundles to make them a slightly better deal from a plat/dollar perspective. Assume 1 plat=1 dollar, then I could see the 10 plat bundle having no bonus, the 25 plat bundle giving 2 extra plat (10%), the 50 plat bundle giving 7 extra plat (15%), the 100 plat bundle giving 20 bonus plat (20%) bonus, and the 200 plat bundle giving 50 bonus plat (25%). Obviously, I just pulled those numbers out of thin air, but I feel it is a fair way to provide incentive to buy larger bundles of plat in one shot without devaluing plat in the process.

The OP's suggestion of 10 extra plat for every $10 you spend just sounds like a lot more work for the dev's as they would have to come up with a system that tracks your total purchases over the life of the game, for every player. That is a whole lot of data to maintain, and a whole lot of extra work to do for what is actually a financial loss to the company. That is one thing to keep in mind with systems like these, is that they need to incentive people to pay more money without being an excessive drain on income to the company. In the OP's suggestion, CZE would effectively lose 10% of their total profits from plat sales from everyone, ever. My suggestion does provide some options that would cause CZE to lose more than that 10%, but those bundles would be set considerably larger than what most people would normally buy, with the normal bundles providing little/no bonus.

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 02:04 PM
The only thing that should have a bulk bonus is booster packs like kickstarter did....

Mike411
06-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Depending on the tier structure, and how fast they expect to need the platinum, it may benefit someone to buy small and keep the rest of the money to invest, despite the bonus. Keeping this in mind, I would think it makes sense to give a slight discount on bulk purchases, as long as they keep it small.

Tiuvath
06-15-2013, 02:10 PM
The only thing that should have a bulk bonus is booster packs like kickstarter did....

I think thats what they'll go with, but we'll see. From a business point of view, the bulk bonus is better used when people buy platinum since this entices them to spend more money in the first place.

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 02:25 PM
I think thats what they'll go with, but we'll see. From a business point of view, the bulk bonus is better used when people buy platinum since this entices them to spend more money in the first place.

From a business point of view, it would be extremely silly to abandon the kickstarter model they used, the project was more then 100% successful, it was around 800%, it's up to CZE to decide how they want to manage platinum...

funktion
06-15-2013, 02:31 PM

This, the second they lower the bulk price, is the second that plat becomes that price regardless of what it was purchased at.

Tiuvath
06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
From a business point of view, it would be extremely silly to abandon the kickstarter model they used, the project was more then 100% successful, it was around 800%, it's up to CZE to decide how they want to manage platinum...

Kickstarter is a very different beast from normal operations. There are good reasons why giving discounts on buying ingame currency is so widespread.

The one good reason why they shouldnt do it here is this:

Punk
06-15-2013, 02:44 PM

I have been thinking about it, and I do like this idea. Not this example specifically.

To get the "Card Shop" feel, they could have a "3 for 5" or "6 for 10" deal on packs. Three boosters for five plat. I really think that adding "Bonus Plat" is a horrible idea though. You have to remember that Plat is used for more than just purchasing booster packs and will have a direct effect on the economy. I am not saying that giving a discount on packs wouldn't be affecting the economy, but it would be doing so at a microscopic scale comparatively.

Maybe the "Sale" on booster packs could only occur after the next set has come out, or is only applicable to sets not in the current block. There is lots of room for interpretation on this.

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I have been thinking about it, and I do like this idea. Not this example specifically.

Im not saying the pack bonuses should be a carbon copy of the kickstarter ones, just saying if you give people value they will go with that, thats why there are 3000 kings, and 1000 champions...

BenAndrion
06-15-2013, 03:35 PM
I think they should sell digital boxes for a slightly reduced price.
say 36 packs for 60 dollars? save 33 cents (rounded) a pack for buying in bulk??
(MTG 36 packs for 108 dollars; 3 dollars a pack in box vs. 4 dollars a stand alone pack)

Gen91
06-15-2013, 03:47 PM
say 36 packs for 60 dollars? save 33 cents (rounded) a pack for buying in bulk??
(MTG 36 packs for 108 dollars; 3 dollars a pack in box vs. 4 dollars a stand alone pack)

To handle the discounts like in a physical TCG is a good idea.

Also, you get MTG boosters for 4$ ?!?
I remember paying 4.95€ for German ones and about 4.50€ for English ones...

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Boxes are an okay idea but i would prefer for it to be exact packs, what i mean by that is lets say you want 10 packs get x free, 20 get x free and so on, so people get exactly what they want at a great value... and if necessary make them account bound (untradable / unsellable)...

Frey
06-15-2013, 04:09 PM
and if necessary make them account bound (untradable / unsellable)...

Making anything account bound in game like Hex is pointless for me if Hex really want to have a TCG title.

Punk
06-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Making anything account bound in game like Hex is pointless for me if Hex really want to have a TCG title.

As far as we know, Champions and Sleeves are account bound. Not sure if you knew this or not by your statement but I thought I would throw it out there.

Mike411
06-15-2013, 04:56 PM

The free starter deck (and cards from it) that you get upon account creation is account bound.

Avedecus
06-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Mercs are also account bound.

Deathfog
06-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Works for S2/Heroes of Newerth quite well, could work here.

Royal_Assassin17
06-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Making anything account bound in game like Hex is pointless

to make things clear im 99.9% sure they will not be (untradable / unsellable), its a big IF, i was just saying CZE should give non backers some deals when the game is out... and if some rules need to be put in place to make things happen I would be okay with it... for example squire backers saved 50%... its a big reason why KS was a major success, KS would of been really different if the savings were 1%, and if giving people x% off here and there will only be good to grow this community and be among the biggest TCGs around,

funktion
06-15-2013, 11:12 PM
The game is already going to be INCREDIBLY cheap to break into as far as card games go... there is no need for this and it only throws additional (and artificial) wrenches into a complex economy. You're going to be able to buy boosters at dramatically discounted prices, lowering them any further really hurts the long term collectability of the game.

Fireblast
06-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Platinum is meant to be equivalent to some dollars, there shouldn't be bulk discount.

~

Xarek
06-16-2013, 02:49 AM
The only discounts in the game should be related to the VIP program. This ensures any discounts are spread out over time and related directly to booster packs. I'd like to see the VIP program extended to include free drafts as well, eg. 1 free draft a week for $16 a month.