PDA

View Full Version : idea -owned card icon

Annihilatron
06-16-2013, 05:03 AM
Not sure if this has been asked yet - but during drafts, it'd be nice to have little icons indicating whether you own cards or not - so that someone trying to finish off their sets and playing drafts would be able to tell what they were missing.

RobHaven
06-16-2013, 05:18 AM
I was hoping for something similar to this while in the Auction House. I would like to see how many copies I own of the card I'm looking at.

TZHX
06-16-2013, 05:21 AM
I agree, this would be quite useful. Wouldn't even need to be an icon on the card, could just be a line of text somewhere on the screen saying how many you already have in your collection.

Shadowelf
06-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Not required, but not a bad feature to have either

Indormi
06-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Do like

ZeroCool
06-16-2013, 05:35 AM
I mean, it'd come in handy but it isn't really the games responsibility to tell you what cards you have/don't have. If you were playing a tabletop version, you wouldn't have this luxury. I'm okay without it.

Mushroom_C1oud
06-16-2013, 05:38 AM
I mean, it'd come in handy but it isn't really the games responsibility to tell you what cards you have/don't have. If you were playing a tabletop version, you wouldn't have this luxury. I'm okay without it.

Good thing this isn't a tabletop game. I say this would be an excellent feature.

Khazrakh
06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Would be a nice feature for those who try to complete their playsets while drafting. I won't need it but as long as I can disable it I'd be fine with it.

Mushroom_C1oud
06-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Would be a nice feature for those who try to complete their playsets while drafting. I won't need it but as long as I can disable it I'd be fine with it.

I doubt it would be anything so intrusive that you would need to disable it.

ZeroCool
06-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Good thing this isn't a tabletop game. I say this would be an excellent feature.

Once again, it isn't the game's responsibility to tell you what cards you should draft for, or buy from the auction house. If you see a card and don't think you have it, buy/draft it. Maybe keep a log of what you own? Open up an Excel report and type in your cards. You don't think this is what others have done?

Mushroom_C1oud
06-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Once again, it isn't the game's responsibility to tell you what cards you should draft for, or buy from the auction house. If you see a card and don't think you have it, buy/draft it. Maybe keep a log of what you own? Open up an Excel report and type in your cards. You don't think this is what others have done?

Make a spread sheet.... Thanks, now I really want this feature.

Omegahugger
06-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Well, saying no to luxury just because other people don't have will only lead to a static world. Some game (I. E. Hex) has to take the first towards the brighter future!

Shadowelf
06-16-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't know about u guys but being a competitive player, i always know what cards i'm after and how many copies i own/need. But its a potentially good feature for those that want to complete sets or collectors

Mushroom_C1oud
06-16-2013, 06:21 AM
I don't know about u guys but being a competitive player, i always know what cards i'm after and how many copies i own/need. But its a potentially good feature for those that want to complete sets or collectors

Like the Bell Curve, you're going to have your extreme hardcore gamers on the far right who can tell you what every card in the game does, what the flavor text says, and which cards were used by the World Championship's first place winner. On the far left you have those that play a game or two and then never come back. In the middle is the rest of us who can range from very casual to hardcore but are more likely to not remember every card they own.

Malama
06-16-2013, 06:25 AM
I like this idee. +1

Shadowelf
06-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Like the Bell Curve, you're going to have your extreme hardcore gamers on the far right who can tell you what every card in the game does, what the flavor text says, and which cards were used by the World Championship's first place winner. On the far left you have those that play a game or two and then never come back. In the middle is the rest of us who can range from very casual to hardcore but are more likely to not remember every card they own.

You are absolutely right; i'm not against the idea. There are others in this thread, u need to persuade about it, and most importantly the devs

ossuary
06-16-2013, 06:26 AM
I don't understand why someone would poop on such a simple feature. It's not like it would hurt you. Hey, you don't think you need it - good for you. That doesn't make it a bad idea. Not everyone has a superb memory for their entire collection, especially when cards in print could span up to 2 years - that's a lot to keep track of for some people. And new players in particular may appreciate it, so they can easily see if they have it or not. "Did I just see that card in a game, or is it one of mine?" No need to ask, the icon is right there.

I say let's use the digital nature of the game to its FULL advantage and get all kinds of useful bells and whistles you could never have in a paper game. What's the point of being awesome if you can't flaunt it a little? :)

Khazrakh
06-16-2013, 06:29 AM
I doubt it would be anything so intrusive that you would need to disable it.

I'm sure it isn't, but I like to keep information displayed to a minimum and when I'm drafting I'm more worried about looking at my curve and deciding what cards I still need, so I just prefer to not have anything displayed that's not related to the deck I'm about to build.
Still - I don't say that feature shouldn't be added, it's a good thing after all, I just want to have the option to keep my interface as slim as possible.

jaxsonbateman
06-16-2013, 06:37 AM
I'm all for this idea. Could live without it, but certainly would not mind it at all.

majin
06-16-2013, 06:39 AM
hopefully this will be implemented

nandus
06-16-2013, 07:17 AM
This is a great idea! I for one won't really remember how many copies I have of all my cards, I might remember those that are super important; but for everything else it's impossible for me. This feature is can't be that hard to implement and as long as the interface is not intrusive, it will not bother anyone. I am all for it.

Draugr
06-16-2013, 07:18 AM
I'm sure it isn't, but I like to keep information displayed to a minimum and when I'm drafting I'm more worried about looking at my curve and deciding what cards I still need, so I just prefer to not have anything displayed that's not related to the deck I'm about to build.
Still - I don't say that feature shouldn't be added, it's a good thing after all, I just want to have the option to keep my interface as slim as possible.

I think this is a great feature too, and I can't see any reason not to have it. Just make it something simple, like holding down shift while you hover over a card.

RobHaven
06-16-2013, 07:45 AM

I really don't understand why you're opposed to the idea. There are a lot of things you could say the same about - deck building stats, card stats, attack with all button, an auction house (in general), etc. Just because they don't owe it to you doesn't mean it wouldn't be helpful to have. And they've said repeatedly that they want to take full advantage of this being a digital-only game; as I see it, that makes "it isn't in the tabletop/paper card game" an invalid argument for anything.

I see only upside here, but if you have legitimate reasons you don't think it should be implemented I'd love to hear them.

Annihilatron
06-16-2013, 07:52 AM
I don't understand why people are saying 'make spreadsheets'. The whole point about going to a computer-era is that stuff like that can be automated. The spreadsheet already exists - it's a database in their server. Why should we have to replicate that spreadsheet?

RanaDunes
06-16-2013, 07:52 AM
As a Dragon Lord backer I need to wait for Set 2 to make use of this feature :p
Unless it also lists how many copies of that card you have that would be superb!

BossHoss
06-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I don`t see why there couldn`t be a hover feature or closable info window while drafting, in the AH, another persons trade binder etc. listing number of copies owned, average AH completed sale prices etc.

Just because I wouldn`t necessarily use the feature doesn`t mean it wouldn`t be cool to have.

Indormi
06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
One of the advantages of a Digital TCG is that you dont have mountains of commons and uncommons in boxes, that may or not may be sorted out. Getting the best of the digital part is one of the main points of hex, I dont think there is a reason not to include it, unless is so much trouble that would delay all the other features a ton.

Aldazar
06-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Seriously?! It's not the game's responsibility?! Since when do games have a "responsibility" to have features at all? Ok, I guess they have a responsibility to fulfill commitments they've made and maybe to protect your information and such... I suppose a better (still rhetorical) question is, since when do games have to be limited by what they are "responsible" for providing?

Like either people have said, why would you poop on such an idea which would so obviously be helpful for so many people? If you don't like it, turn it off! Or if you can't, don't look at it! It's not the game's responsibility to omit features because obstructionist people object to them for apparently no real reason!

Aldazar
06-16-2013, 08:41 AM
If it wasn't already clear from my previous post, I'm definitely in favor of this feature!

I'd actually go a step further and wish for the ability to keep wish list(s) of cards that you need/want, and be able to search for them on the auction house, see the card highlighted in drafts, etc.

I do agree that features like this should be toggle-able (I don't think that's a real word but whatever =P) though, so that people who want a super clean interface (or who somehow have every card they could ever want =P) can turn it off...

Krakanous
06-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Agreed, i think this will be a given :).

Googolplex
06-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Lmao, this feature would be quite easy to make, but noooo - let everyone sit there opening their spreadsheets instead, delaying the draft. /facepalm.

Storm_Fireblade
06-16-2013, 09:51 AM
+1 for sure. Amazing idea.

bbang
06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Yes its a good idea especially for people like me who is new and need all the help i can get to rem if i had such cards. cheers

Gen91
06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Whenever we saw a video of of the card stash ingame, there were numbers in the top right corner of the cards. The highest number there was 4, so this could be what you want, just make this avaiable outside of the stash and voilŠ.

facade
06-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Let's see the various arguments made so far:

Arguments for:
- Quick easy reference for collectors
- Likely simple enough to implement from a coding perspective
- Can also be implemented while browsing in the auction house

Arguments against:
- Extra information might clutter the screen
- 'Unnecessary' feature / can already easily reference spreadsheet or card collection for number owned.
- Time spent developing and testing this feature is time not spent on developing meaningful gameplay.

My Analysis: Support, but maybe after the game is launched
I think I am with those that are for adding a small icon or a toggle that shows number owned. Many individuals draft to supplement their collection and the costs to this idea really aren't that great. However, the biggest strike against it is that this feature is unnecessary to actually playing the game. Even if it wouldn't take that long to implement, I think the developers already have their hands full with getting the main game ready for beta. Though I like the feature, I would rather they focus on critical game mechanics, like PvE development. Plus, this feature really wouldn't even be needed by collectors until after the set has been around for a while and collections have grown.

In summary, my opinion is to implement a small counter during drafting that shows how many cards the owner has, but to maybe save this feature until the rest of the game engine is stable.

Annihilatron
06-16-2013, 11:50 AM
the only reason i bring it up is because from the videos, the gameplay looks pretty solid. Also from an implementation standpoint this is literally less than 100 lines of code and a few transparent pngs.

that being said if everyone could have their 100 lines of code the game would never be finished. Its an idea. It's just hilarious that people would piss on it because you can 'check your collection or spreadsheets' when we're in a computer age.

Heck if that were the case give me an API call to query my own cards and someone write a 3rd party app for it.

in c#, it's like:

public void HandShowing()
{
DataContext dc = new DataContext();
var collection = dc.UserCollections.Where(x=>x.UserID == currentIdentity.UserID).toList();
foreach(var card in visible)
{
if(collection.count(x=>x.CardName == card.CardName) > 0) ownedIcon.Visible = true;
else
{
ownedIcon.Visible = false;
missingIcon.Visible = true;
}
}
}

where countIcon & missingIcon are pngs, currentIdentity would be currently logged in user. fairly easy enough to add a few more if statements if users want to have their own options to hide/show all these extra icons.

ps: no guarantee of above code working. It is rough.

Mushroom_C1oud
06-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Let's see the various arguments made so far:

Arguments for:
- Quick easy reference for collectors
- Likely simple enough to implement from a coding perspective
- Can also be implemented while browsing in the auction house

Arguments against:
- Extra information might clutter the screen
- 'Unnecessary' feature / can already easily reference spreadsheet or card collection for number owned.
- Time spent developing and testing this feature is time not spent on developing meaningful gameplay.

My Analysis: Support, but maybe after the game is launched
I think I am with those that are for adding a small icon or a toggle that shows number owned. Many individuals draft to supplement their collection and the costs to this idea really aren't that great. However, the biggest strike against it is that this feature is unnecessary to actually playing the game. Even if it wouldn't take that long to implement, I think the developers already have their hands full with getting the main game ready for beta. Though I like the feature, I would rather they focus on critical game mechanics, like PvE development. Plus, this feature really wouldn't even be needed by collectors until after the set has been around for a while and collections have grown.

In summary, my opinion is to implement a small counter during drafting that shows how many cards the owner has, but to maybe save this feature until the rest of the game engine is stable.

If it takes a few hours to write the code, especially if it already exists when browsing your collection, then it would be nice to have for release. If it comes out buggy or requiring any lengthy amount of time for development cut it until a later, post-release, date.

Sholynyk
06-16-2013, 12:04 PM
There is another aspect that people have not considered (or at least posted). And that is that it would encourage people to join draft's just to take cards they do not have which a lot of people find frustrating for some reason. (I think that it is beneficial for everybody when some people draft just to get cards but others seem to have an issue with it :s

Mushroom_C1oud
06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
There is another aspect that people have not considered (or at least posted). And that is that it would encourage people to join draft's just to take cards they do not have which a lot of people find frustrating for some reason. (I think that it is beneficial for everybody when some people draft just to get cards but others seem to have an issue with it :s

I doubt it will have any effect on who does or does not do this. They'll just use the spreadsheet that someone else suggested making.

wayne
06-16-2013, 12:11 PM

It might make it easier, but people are going to draft in whatever manner they choose regardless of this option.

Gen91
06-16-2013, 12:17 PM

People will do this (rare drafting) nevertheless,
but without an implemented system they need to tab-out/look on a sheet,
all this takes time, that could be saved.

Stok3d
06-16-2013, 12:44 PM
I like this feature

/vote

x78089
06-16-2013, 12:50 PM
This is a phenomenal idea. I hope they implement it.

Alejess
06-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Excellent idea, which I would definitely support. And whilst it may be strictly true to say that itís not ďthe gameís responsibilityĒ to give us this information, thatís the sort of mentality which the devs will have to avoid if they want to appeal to the widest possible audience, including casual players and those who may be new to TCGs. Fortunately, all the evidence so far suggests that that isnít how the devs go about things.

IndigoShade
06-16-2013, 01:12 PM
It seems that typically the double-back feature is used to track each individual card's stats, but I wonder how difficult it would be to have it also inform you of how many cards by this name you own. I'm no programmer, but I would imagine adding this to the double-back wouldn't be too hard.

Annihilatron
06-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Rare drafting always happens. Heck, even drafting just for money cards happens often (i.e. cards that are great in Constructed but do poorly in drafts, people will draft them and then sell them right away, like in MTG anytime there are cards that are protection from cards named X) i.e. http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=154005

majin
06-16-2013, 02:37 PM
As a Dragon Lord backer I need to wait for Set 2 to make use of this feature :p
Unless it also lists how many copies of that card you have that would be superb!

I thought this was part of the original suggestion but I was wrong, this is also something that I want. so that i'll know what cards i am missing to complete a Playset (thanks BossHoss for the term)

Lazybum
06-16-2013, 02:54 PM
really like this idea +1

Ramshackal
06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
I also think this is a great idea, I'd be surprised if it wasn't implemented at some point.

Yoss
06-16-2013, 03:30 PM
This idea was already suggested, and it's a good one. (I should know, I'm the one who brought it up. :)) My post is in the UI Feature Request thread, here:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24823&page=3&p=251993&viewfull=1#post251993

Other useful links related to this topic:

UI Feature Requests
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24823

Hex API threads
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25307
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=25545

This is a horrible attitude (my opinion). Any time-saving feature that can be implemented to streamline "unfun" tasks should be implemented. (Obviously, one must caveat that we're not trying to recreate Progress Quest here, so you have to draw a reasonable line between what is "fun" and what is not.)

Kersed
06-16-2013, 04:22 PM
I like it

Rydavim
06-16-2013, 04:23 PM
No reason not to have this in a digital TCG. Even if one wouldn't personally need/use it, that doesn't mean it isn't a useful feature to a majority of the community.

+1 Gen91 (I didn't see it the first time around.)
+1 Yoss (For the first time, and the great post here. Kudos.)

BossHoss
06-16-2013, 04:42 PM
I thought this was part of the original suggestion but I was wrong, this is also something that I want. so that i'll know what cards i am missing to complete a "4 of a specific card" (not sure what the term for that, set?)

Playset

Zomnivore
06-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Seems like a great feature suggestion.

majin
06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Playset

wildcard
06-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Love it. I'd also like it to be a tool tip (optional to hold shift to see it) that gives quantity owned, average selling price on the AH over the past 3 days in gold and plat, ownership of related equipment, and anything else the dev's can think of. Maybe a good place to elaborate on keywords in the card text?