PDA

View Full Version : The Dragons of Entrath

Icepick
06-16-2013, 05:45 AM
So over the last day I've written a 2-part article on the Dragon cards we've had spoiled so far!
The first part talks about the 2 dragon troop cards, Jadiim and Uruunaz, and can be seen here - http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/06/15/the-dragons-of-hex/ (http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/06/15/the-dragons-of-hex/).

The second part talks about the Kickstarter-exclusive Wrath of Zakiir, which you can check out here - http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/06/16/the-dragons-of-hex-2-wrath-of-zakiir/ (http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/06/16/the-dragons-of-hex-2-wrath-of-zakiir/)!

Hopefully they'll give us some more dragon spoilers at some point, at which time I'll be able to do part 3 and complete the trilogy!

http://www.casualhex.co.uk/

self1sch
06-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Love your articles, not too long and easy to understand even for beginners. Keep it up! :)

HellFro
06-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Great articles. I noticed this line though "The Manipulator’s Mantle lets you bury extra cards based on your Blood threshold, so at least 10 cards when you play Uruunaz (his cost of 7 plus 3 for his Blood threshold requirement)"

Shouldn't it be just 7 with the 3 blood threshold counted into the 7. So basically, 3 blood and 4 of any shard resource would work.

Thelaasa
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Great articles. I noticed this line though "The Manipulator’s Mantle lets you bury extra cards based on your Blood threshold, so at least 10 cards when you play Uruunaz (his cost of 7 plus 3 for his Blood threshold requirement)"

Shouldn't it be just 7 with the 3 blood threshold counted into the 7. So basically, 3 blood and 4 of any shard resource would work.

Actually, it would just be 7 of any resource, as long as you have at least 3 blood resources on the field. Threshold just requires that many resources to be in play, you don't actually have to use those specific resources to play a card. So, for example, if you had 3 blood resources and 11 ruby resources, 14 total, you could play 2 Uruunaz.

HellFro
06-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that's basically what I was saying.

Icepick
06-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Thresholds and resource costs are 2 separate things. So, playing Uruunaz, who has a cost of 7, means the opponent buries 7 cards. If you have the Manipulator's Mantle, you bury extra cards for each Blood threshold you have - since Uruunaz has a threshold requirement of 3 Blood, you must have at least 3 to play him, so that is an extra 3 cards separate from his original cost of 7, for a total of 10 cards buried. If you were playing a pure Blood deck, you would have at least 7 Blood threshold (since Blood is the only thing you would have in your deck, which means that to have 7 Resources, you would also have 7 Blood threshold) when you played Uruunaz, for a total of at least 14 cards buried.
Basically, the Mantle lets you bury extra cards on top of that original cost, so it's 7 + X for Uruunaz.

HellFro
06-16-2013, 11:08 AM
I didn't notice that. Right on. Thanks for the article. I'm most excited about getting all the dragons.

Prism
06-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I never knew that about threshold costs... I hope they're fairly conservative when it comes to "dual-threshold" cards as it would likely make the game "play all the best cards, forget colour combinations"

Icepick
06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, you still need to stick to 1 or 2 colours (certainly no more than 3) if you want to be able to play your cards reliably. I found that watching the videos on the Kickstarter and on CZEs TwitchTV a pretty good way to get a solid grasp on the rules, so that might be worth checking out if you haven't already seen them. Plus it's pretty cool to just see the game in action.

Vorpal
06-16-2013, 05:18 PM
I liked your articles.

I didn't realize 'bury' meant 'remove from deck'

I thought it meant 'place cards at top of deck on bottom of deck'.

Vorpal
06-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Also does anyone know what the kickstarter 'exclusive' dragon starter deck is?

One wonders if it means that the starter won't be available for purchase on release, or if every card in it is somehow an exclusive. I imagine the former.

Icepick
06-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Also does anyone know what the kickstarter 'exclusive' dragon starter deck is?

One wonders if it means that the starter won't be available for purchase on release, or if every card in it is somehow an exclusive. I imagine the former.

It will just be a collection of existing cards compiled into a deck that non-kickstarters won't have access too. All the cards will otherwise be available, basically the highlight of the deck is just that it contains Uruunaz, a Legendary card.

Avaian
06-17-2013, 05:18 AM
It will just be a collection of existing cards compiled into a deck that non-kickstarters won't have access too. All the cards will otherwise be available, basically the highlight of the deck is just that it contains Uruunaz, a Legendary card.

Just wanted to mention that the Uruunaz, in the Dragon's Blood starter deck will be 'a special extended art, foil Uruunaz to show off your support of the Kickstarter.' (Extract from Kickstarter update #10)

Another great set of articles :)

Icepick
06-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks!
If anyone has any suggestions for stuff they want to see on the site, or any other feedback, feel free to let me know by the way!

KaosSoul
06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
cant wait for Zeedu the Sapphire Dragon

Avaian
06-17-2013, 02:51 PM
cant wait for Zeedu the Sapphire Dragon

Sadly, I don't expect a Zeedu card until set 2 with the Necrotic.

KaosSoul
06-17-2013, 03:07 PM
with 50% card non revealed ill keep my hopes up anyway ill get him sooner or later^^

Icepick
06-17-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm expecting there to be at least one more Dragon card in set 1, so we might get Zeedu! Honestly, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one for each shard, since the Wrath of Zakiir equipment that creates a random troop wouldn't have much randomness if there was only 2 dragons for it to chose from.

Avaian
06-17-2013, 03:59 PM
The reason I don't think Zeedu will appear in set 1, is because of his close connection to the Necrotic in the lore.

Icepick
06-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Possibly, but on the other hand, why would they mention him apropos of nothing if he didn't already exist in card form. It's not exactly an integral piece of information, and we already know the other 2 dragons mentioned have cards.
Guess we'll have to wait for the full card list to find out!