PDA

View Full Version : Two Suggestions: "Backdraft" & "Sealed-Booster-Opening"

Joni
06-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Hey

I had two not very related ideas recently which I would very like to see implemented in HEX, and which I haven't found discussed on this board yet. I hope I didn't just miss them, else feel free to disregard my input and/or link to the respective post:

1) "Backdraft": A booster draft variant where players try to draft the worst possible deck (or rather, card pool: your opponents have to build a deck out of the cards that you draft, and vice versa, with unlimited access to resources). I played this a couple of times with M:tG in the past; not only does it come with the potential of being hilarious, but it also strongly rewards skills in drafting as well as deckbuilding. The only downside I can see is that a "Backdraft" would take quite a bit more time since you always have to construct a deck before each new opponent. But why not have a relatively tight timer to increase the tension of creating something out of nothing? This sounds very casual, but could potentially be very suitable for competitive play as well in my eyes.

2) "Sealed Booster Opening": This would probably fit better in one of the "fancy-options-for-opening-boosters-thread". But it's also kind of a new game mode, which is why it is not completely unrelated to 1). The idea is as follows: Instead of simply opening a booster, why not choose and play with e.g. two sealed boosters, without looking at the cards, add 4 of each resource and play with an unknown deck, revealing contents card-by-card as you draw them? This would most likely be something to play within your guild, but there could be a "casual room" as well to meet with random players that would like to pull some extra fun/tension out of their boosters. Advantages I see: It's very laid-back, and it adds a twist since you never know what you are going to draw: Imagine how exciting it could be to draw that great chase rare! Also, it might be an opportunity for very bad cards to see at least some play. I regularly play like this whenever I buy new cards in M:tG, and it adds a very nice extra layer to the entire thing. Usually we start with this mode before having a sealed deck tourney.

What do you guys think?

Indormi
06-16-2013, 01:51 PM
I like the backdraft idea, to make it more time-efficient, you could give your deck to the player on your left (for example) and play all games with the deck drafted by the person of your right. Swiss draft doesnt make much sense here, and I think it should be all single elimination. In addition, to spice things a little bit, when you win you can chose to stay with your current deck, or to play the next round with the deck your oponent just played (and lost).

Clarification: The cards you keep after the draft are the ones you drafted

Gravityjay
06-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Doing a pack wars mode would be fun, so cost to enter is 1 pack and 1 plat and you get resources of each type auto shuffled in for a best of 3 either as a 2 man or 8 man tournament

Frey
06-16-2013, 01:53 PM
1) "Backdraft": A booster draft variant where players try to draft the worst possible deck (or rather, card pool: your opponents have to build a deck out of the cards that you draft, and vice versa, with unlimited access to resources). I played this a couple of times with M:tG in the past; not only does it come with the potential of being hilarious, but it also strongly rewards skills in drafting as well as deckbuilding. The only downside I can see is that a "Backdraft" would take quite a bit more time since you always have to construct a deck before each new opponent. But why not have a relatively tight timer to increase the tension of creating something out of nothing? This sounds very casual, but could potentially be very suitable for competitive play as well in my eyes.

For me It doesn't sound casual at all. Sorry. I think they shouldn't bother to add such feature (game mode) at launch (maybe later).

Tathel
06-16-2013, 02:00 PM
I think the first is interesting. I don't know that it would get enough use to be high on the priority list of things to add.

The second I think is too chaotic to be fun most of the time and you could do it with friends with a gentlemen's agreement

funktion
06-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Indormi made some really great adjustments to it as well. I'm a big fan of backdraft but it's hard to find people to do it with, backdraft cube can be a ton of fun. Having pack wars would also be great, it would be great for crypto too, no entry fee, just two packs enter the thunderdome and one player leaves with both of them.

What I wanted to mention here though is one of the problems with a digital based game. Games like magic and wowtcg which are paper based are both user driven. Players can easily make their own content, you want to make a cube of all commons, go for it. want to chaos draft, go for it. Etc...

Whereas with a digital game the only options available to us are the ones which the developers take the time to implement. It seems like the customizable tournament features which Cory has hinted at may be a HUGE step forward in this regards, I'm definitely anxious to see and hear what they think about this issue.

Arbiter
06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I like the backdraft idea, to make it more time-efficient, you could give your deck to the player on your left (for example) and play all games with the deck drafted by the person of your right. Swiss draft doesnt make much sense here, and I think it should be all single elimination. In addition, to spice things a little bit, when you win you can chose to stay with your current deck, or to play the next round with the deck your oponent just played (and lost).
d

With backdraft, the idea is that you are drafting the deck you will play against, not one for a random player. So each round you start by giving your drafted cards to your opponent, and he does the same, then the both of you sit down and construct from what has been drafted. It is a great tester of draft, deck construction and play skills.

Shadowelf
06-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Not much into fun formats like those, and i'd prefer constructed type fun formats like 2 headed giant (2x2), or emperor (3x3) if i had the choice, but whatever pleases more ppl has my vote

Rydavim
06-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Shadowelf, in that I would personally prioritize Two Headed Giant or Emperor over these formats. But that's not to say these are bad ideas! I think there will certainly be many opportunities for them to expand playstyle options in the future after launch. I wouldn't expect any of these formats to make it in before launch, though.