PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Course: Those Pesky Resources!

jtatta
06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Have you ever wondered what the proper number of resources was to play in your mono colored deck? Have you been resource screwed countless times and just can't figure out why? Today on HExTCGPro, Steve Utter writes about how you can fix that and have better results!

You can find the article here: http://hextcgpro.com/?p=665

Qorsair
06-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Nice article! Thanks for posting it. I'm looking forward to seeing next week's article as well.

Shadowelf
06-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Good job on the article; lots of useful information for both veterans and new players. Keep up the good work :)

billybogota
06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Great article -- really made sense of it all for a new player like me.

HellFro
06-17-2013, 08:36 PM
You made reading about math enjoyable. Not sure that's a compliment, but thank you for the article.

jaxsonbateman
06-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Solid article - good work. In particular, I actually didn't realise I could just find ready-to-go websites for calculating hypergeometric distribution, which has made doing the maths regarding the probability and chance of some effect oh so much easier. ^^

BenAndrion
06-17-2013, 09:10 PM
How well would this relate to multi-colored cards though? Potentially there can be cards with several thresholds. and of course there will be decks with two colors, some that splash a third. So although this can help with how many overall resources one should use, my question is how can knowing this help decide how many of each threshold to use? statistically of course

jaxsonbateman
06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
How well would this relate to multi-colored cards though? Potentially there can be cards with several thresholds. and of course there will be decks with two colors, some that splash a third. So although this can help with how many overall resources one should use, my question is how can knowing this help decide how many of each threshold to use? statistically of course
You can use hypergeometric distribution to see the odds of getting X amount of particular type of source by turn Y in the same way that it was used to determine the overall number of lands, and this can help you out if you're looking for a mathematical angle your source ratio.

http://www.calcfun.com/calculate-61-hypergeometric-distribution-formula.html is the one I've been using; fantastically easy.

Dralon
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Enjoyed the article. Highly recommended for any newcomer or casual tcg player.

Mr.Funsocks
06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Ah, math. The reason games are fun.

BenAndrion
06-18-2013, 11:36 PM
You can use hypergeometric distribution to see the odds of getting X amount of particular type of source by turn Y in the same way that it was used to determine the overall number of lands, and this can help you out if you're looking for a mathematical angle your source ratio.

http://www.calcfun.com/calculate-61-hypergeometric-distribution-formula.html is the one I've been using; fantastically easy.

Thank you kindly good sir!

TheHangedMan
06-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Awesome article.

The innovations and complexity of Hex is really going to push the metagame to new levels in a tcg. I love it!