PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Starter Decks.

PowderedToastMan
06-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Hey all,

Just as the title suggests.... I have never done a live draft and only played Magic a few times in person still practising on the Xbox. My question is regarding starter decks, in my case, with my DC pledge I will get my choice of 4 starter decks, my question is say I only want to play Blue/White is it worth my time to get 2 of each or is more than 1 starter deck of the same Gem overkill?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Shadowelf
06-17-2013, 08:21 AM
I don't think we have sufficient information atm to speculate whether buying more than one of a starters will worth it. But in ur place i'd wait for a card list to be released before making that decision; and if they won't do that, then i'd take one the starters, open it, then contemplate whether one is sufficient (assuming that u can make that choice whenever u like, and not forced to choose at log in) )

newwen
06-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Furthering that even more. Magic has what they call the FFL (future future league) played by internal testers. They basically try to predict the metagame for unreleased sets. It's incredibly hard to do. Hex is in one giant FFL situation. New mechanics, new cards, new interactions with no baseline yet. You might buy a precon and it's great one week, and crap the next. I look forward to nerfs, balancing, and of course the standard meta game shifting.

TL;DR
Guessing which packs are good is pointless even after launch.

Jbizzi
06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
My understanding is that the starter decks promised to the KS pledges will be amped up pre-contructed versions of the vanilla "free-to-play" versions that you will have a choice between the 4 available. You could probably get 2 of two versions if that is what you want but I think it will be in your best interest to just get all 4. They will more than likely be filled with commons/uncommons with a rare? or two that since they are included in so many starter decks will be practically uncommon.

Meaning that you will find them on the AH for a deuce if you really want 4 of them.

wererat
06-17-2013, 08:55 AM
As a new player you'll want to get one of each starter deck for variety. You'll get a chance to try out all the different deck styles and see which one fits you best. It will also give you better replay value as you could have 4 straight games with your friend without having to reuse a deck.

Icepick
06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
My understanding is that the starter decks promised to the KS pledges will be amped up pre-contructed versions of the vanilla "free-to-play" versions that you will have a choice between the 4 available. You could probably get 2 of two versions if that is what you want but I think it will be in your best interest to just get all 4. They will more than likely be filled with commons/uncommons with a rare? or two that since they are included in so many starter decks will be practically uncommon.

Meaning that you will find them on the AH for a deuce if you really want 4 of them.

As far as I know they are just going to be the vanilla starter decks, no modifications to them. Have they said somewhere that the ones given to pledges are different in some way? The only one that is only available to kickstarter backers as far as I know is the Dragons Blood deck - pretty sure the rest are just the standard ones.

Hexmage
06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
As far as I know they are just going to be the vanilla starter decks, no modifications to them. Have they said somewhere that the ones given to pledges are different in some way? The only one that is only available to kickstarter backers as far as I know is the Dragons Blood deck - pretty sure the rest are just the standard ones.

There are 2 types of starter decks. The free one you get with your account and the ones you buy.
What Jbizzi was saying is that he thinks the ones you buy are just going to be straight up improvements of the free ones.

Erebus
06-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Cory confirmed (at the bottom of the Kickstarter comments if you want to dig) that there the cards you get as a newbie are different then the starter decks you can purchase for $10 (and that the KS get).

FireSummoner
06-17-2013, 11:39 AM
It is important to note that cards from the free starter will not be trade-able, but purchased ones will be.

Icepick
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Cory confirmed (at the bottom of the Kickstarter comments if you want to dig) that there the cards you get as a newbie are different then the starter decks you can purchase for $10 (and that the KS get).

Ah right, interesting, didn't know that. That's pretty strange!

PowderedToastMan
06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the Responses gang!

Jbizzi
06-17-2013, 02:03 PM

Yeah sorry, Erebus is right. The decks are going to be modified from the vanilla decks included in "free" accounts. I understood Corey's comments to mean the KS decks will be slightly more advanced, maybe meaning they will include a couple of rares and more uncommons? Who knows really.

The starter decks for "free" accounts will revolve around teaching the very basics of the game for each faction included.

Avedecus
06-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Giving it some thought, there's a very high possibility that there won't be a dedicated Blue starter. None of the set one races are particularly blue focused (save for a fraction of the humans).

Rydavim
06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
@Mark Fadden
Hi Mark, the free to play game begins the player with one starter, these are specifically designed for a great new player experience, the starters that will be sold separately (and are offered as rewards on this Kickstarter are different and slightly more advanced), none of the rewards you receive thru Kickstarter will diminish what you would have received otherwise.

Took me awhile to find it but...2013-05-09 SOURCE (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/comments?cursor=3125053)

PowderedToastMan
06-17-2013, 03:21 PM
SWEET, yet another bonus for our Backing!!! :P