PDA

View Full Version : Set reprints?

Jbizzi
06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet by CZE but it was always something that irked me about TCGs.

Will CZE reprint sets once they are "discontinued?"

MTG has always been a fan of printing legacy sets of the original so they move back into circulation or competitive play. I never cared for this model but I understand it.

jai151
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Like the Magic "Core 20XX" sets? We know each block will have a core set and two expansions, but we don't know whether that core set will be reprints of previous blocks or new but basic cards. They have said reprints will happen, but no word on the scale.

Shadowelf
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Reprint cards: yes, reprint sets : no . No tcg that respects its playerbase have ever reprinted a whole set, for obvious reasons. As for reprinting cards, i think they will eventually, but not for a long, long time

KingBlackstone
06-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Eagerly awaiting this response myself. I wonder if boosters from sets are only available for a year (while the block is active)?

ZeroCool
06-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Almost every iTCG I've played has sold packs from the past in one way or another. I don't think CZE has mentioned anything about it, but it may be too early to know.

Jbizzi
06-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I guess I meant "core" cards of the MTG:O generation.

I guess I remember the old antiquities, etc sets that were mostly full versions of the original minus a few cards.

I think it ruins "collectibility" of anything when it is recreated, no matter the art, etc. involved.

The KS bonuses will help this with exclusive content that will never be reprinted but I like to think that 2 years from now, Set 1 will be highly sought after given the originality of it.

Card erratas happen and should be included in future sets however (hopefully retaining the original for "wild west" formats, etc.)

jai151
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Well, core sets have been around since practically the beginning, and Antiquities wasn't a reprint set. Card reprints can and will happen, if it doesn't you wind up with functional reprints and decks with 20 mountains and 40 "lightning bolts".

Jbizzi
06-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Yeah I may be misremembering the set names as I have not played a TCG since the first few years of MTG. Regardless, it was always disheartening to see a reprinted version of the rates from the original alpha/beta sets. They were only allowed in open and sealed formats anyway, so what was the point? To allow newcomers access while maintaining some value of the original? blah.

Rtsands45
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet by CZE but it was always something that irked me about TCGs.

Will CZE reprint sets once they are "discontinued?"

MTG has always been a fan of printing legacy sets of the original so they move back into circulation or competitive play. I never cared for this model but I understand it.

Um, no MTG has a reserved list for rares from Urza's Saga Block and before which states that those rares will never be reprinted. Now Wotc is pushing its newer format Modern which they are exercising their right to reprint some older Modern staples so that newer players are not priced out of tournaments.

Jbizzi
06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Um, no MTG has a reserved list for rares from Urza's Saga Block and before which states that those rares will never be reprinted. Now Wotc is pushing its newer format Modern which they are exercising their right to reprint some older Modern staples so that newer players are not priced out of tournaments.

Yes, I understand this from the previous posts, I am talking about a whole set, not just rares. Again, as I stated above, I understand why reprints are necessary but I am not a fan.