PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Drafting Fundamentals

funktion
06-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Guess what time it is! That's right, it's time for another quality video from yours truly. This time around I made one going over the fundamentals of drafting. It does kinda suck that suddenly over the weekend a whole bunch of guides very similar to this one seem to have cropped up, but I'd already put the work into and didn't wanna let you guys down.

YouTube: FunktionFails (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEHCm89DTlE)

I split this guide up into 2 parts, this is only the first part. I'm still finalizing the second half, so if you have anything in particular which you are unsure of, let me know and I'll try to answer any questions if it fits within the theme of video. In the next part I'll discuss some of the more nuanced aspects of drafting, I tried to keep the first part as simple as possible for the newer folks here among us.

Let me know what you think of this one and be sure to subscribe if you want to see more quality hex content.

Just remember, despite what Alan Iverson ever tells you, there's no replacement for practice.

Cheers

Edit: HEY! I'm at 87 subscribers, super close to breaking the 100 mark, help a brother out!

Chiany
06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Nice video, good for ppl new to drafting.
Looking forward to part 2.

funktion
06-18-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks, aiming to have part 2 out on wednesday or thursday. Got a few treats coming up in the next few weeks as well that I've been working on with other people!

Psyanide
06-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Good job. Will surely help out those new to tcg's.

funktion
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
**Insert bump disguised as a response to someone**
No but really, I'm 2 subscribers away from hitting the 100 mark! Anywho I posted this vid in the middle of the night, probably not the best time and still a ton of people watched it...

But for all the new people out there or folks that are just a little unsure about how draft works, help yourself out and watch the video. It may answer a few questions, I can' wait to start drafting this game. Already working on part two and have some more good pointers to start it off with.

Draugr
06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
**Insert bump disguised as a response to someone**
No but really, I'm 2 subscribers away from hitting the 100 mark! Anywho I posted this vid in the middle of the night, probably not the best time and still a ton of people watched it...

But for all the new people out there or folks that are just a little unsure about how draft works, help yourself out and watch the video. It may answer a few questions, I can' wait to start drafting this game. Already working on part two and have some more good pointers to start it off with.

Subscribed.
Nice video, looking forward to part 2.

nickon
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi Funktion, enjoyed your video as well :) However, you kind of missed the point on BREAD I think? Your saying, this is an acronym that stands for... And don't explain how to use it :) As I understand it, its some kind of framework which enables you to "identify" cards and try and keep focus in the deck you are constructing. It doesn't mean that you need a deck with cards that cover the entire acronym right?

For example, dead cards are to be avoided at any time. And if you are constructing an aggro deck, you don't need a bomb in there. Right?

PS: Still new to this, but trying to connect the dots here :)

jaxsonbateman
06-19-2013, 01:25 PM
For example, dead cards are to be avoided at any time. And if you are constructing an aggro deck, you don't need a bomb in there. Right?

PS: Still new to this, but trying to connect the dots here :)
Bread's a rough guide to pick priority, assuming that the draft format in Hex will be similar to Magic (though based on how similar the cards are currently, there's a very good chance it will).

Effectively, in general you move down the list when evaluating cards. Ie. if there are no bombs in the pack that you can play in your deck, you look at removal. No removal, evasive creatures. No creatures, anything your deck is missing. Nothing you could use, then hate draft (I prefer to think of D as denial, as denial-drafting or hate drafting is better than taking crap you won't use).

It is just a guideline though, as there are exceptions to the priority - particularly, when card quality is involved. Pretty much, a rule of thumb is that quality often trumps the pick order - a good evasive creature will often be better than 'ok' or 'fine' removal (ie. Atrophy), and things like that.

Also, unless the aggro deck is super fast, it'll probably be perfectly happy with and want to run bombs. For example, a diamond/x deck that isn't blazingly fast would be very, very happy to play King Gabriel.