PDA

View Full Version : Commander /EDH format

Alequel
06-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I know it is probably a little to early to ask for this, and even though I check the forums regularly I might have missed a previous thread on the subject but I love the commander / EDH format in Magic. For people who dont know what edh is; it is a format where you build a 100 card deck with a legendary card as your commander, the deck building limitations are that you are only allowed 1 copy of each card and those cards have to be in your commanders colors or colorless and you start of with 40 life instead of 20.

I love this format and in one of the twitch feeds I have heard them mention about a hard mode pve in which you are only allowed to play 1 of each card. So my question is will we get a similar format for pvp I know this is too early to ask for it cause compared to magics 20 years of collections hex has around 650 cards with only around 350 of them being pvp cards, but I am sure the developers can find a way around it, by allowing 2 cards per common/uncommon and 1 per rare/legendary or something similar.

The reason why I ask for this and why I love this format is because it opens up a new playground for pvp players, as this format allows people to play normally standard unplayable cards because the 40 life up from 20 allows more time for the game to settle which for example makes expensive cards more playable or card draw effects vital and the 1 copy per deck limitation obviously encourages people to be more creative. I am sure a lot of standard format magic players (Standard format is exactly what hex is like 60 cards, 20 life, 4 copies of a card per deck) will agree with me. I have been playing magic since 1999 and I have to say with every passing year standard is getting more and more boring, because as soon as you see the first land/source your opponent plays if you have played the game for a while you can pretty much guess what their deck will be like, with 4 cards allowed formats there are some decks that are just consistent and better, and playing against those decks just turns into a huge repetitive grind to glory.

Some might argue that the hex wont be like that but with the direction they are taking the game, it probably will be I am not saying it as a bad thing though. I have played magic competitively for years and I continue to play it but having an alternative option to build decks and try out new synergies to the new playground is just a really fun experience especially after you have built up some experience in the game mechanics.

Thats why I would also love to see 2v2 or 4 player ffa formats.

ps: letsss say first card instead of first land/source card :p first land might be pushing it too hard. ;) thanks for reading any comment is appreciated and I apologize for the possible grammar or vocabulary mistakes that I may have made.

Gwaer
06-18-2013, 05:08 PM
I believe this was explicitly one of the play styles they hoped to enable with the league system they're working on.

Justinkp
06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I bet they'll implement as many formats as possible. It would be interesting to see formats that could only be done digitally.

Justin

Shadowelf
06-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Although its too early for a such a format i'd love if they did it sometime in the future. And i think they will if many ppl ask for it

NotSure
06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
While this may be difficult to achieve in Set 1, I do hope to see it added!

Yoss
06-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Plain old Highlander (AKA 100-Card Singleton) is better than Commander any day. That's my preference, obviously.

Aradon
06-18-2013, 05:54 PM
It'll be a while before the card pool is sufficiently complex for EDH to really shine, but once we have enough sets, I'm sure it'll show up.

One format I'd like to see is a 100-card highlander, all-equipment-enabled format. Instead of just having six pieces of gear, you have all the gear for every card, making each of them a crazy powerhouse.

Ilikerice
06-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I know they mentioned something about playing the dungeons on "hard mode" which was basically a 60 card Highlander deck right? And I agree with you Yoss, Commander is a bit.... meh.

RobHaven
06-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Can someone please explain to me what the commander does? Is it only there to dictate your color palette, or does it serve some other function?

Aradon
06-18-2013, 08:43 PM
In MtG's Commander, you set the commander aside at the start of the game in the 'Command Zone.' You may cast that commander like it is in your hand, and if your commander would be killed or removed from the game, you can return it to the command zone instead, and cast it again with a +2 cost penalty for each time you do so. Because you always have the commander available like this, you can build your deck around synergies and abilities provided by your commander.

Rtsands45
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Can someone please explain to me what the commander does? Is it only there to dictate your color palette, or does it serve some other function?

Basically, its a 99 card deck based around the commander. The commander's colors dictate what different colors can be in your deck. Lets say I have a legendary creature that costs 3BUG as my commander. My deck can only consist of cards that are Black, Blue, Green, and colorless cards. All cards are restricted to 1 except for basic resources. A Commander/General always starts the game outside of your deck in your command zone/void. A commander can always be cast from the command zone for its cost +2n, where n = the number of times it was put back into the command zone. You can put your commander in the zone anytime it would die or be voided. If a player takes at least 21 general damage from combat then that player dies no matter what life they were at.

RobHaven
06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
In MtG's Commander...

Basically, its a 99 card deck based around the commander...

Thanks for the explanations!
Am I missing something about the life totals? Didn't someone say you start with 40 life? Why start with 40 life if the game is played to 21? Am I reading this all wrong?

Aradon
06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry, yes. You start with 40 life. However, if you deal 21 combat damage with your commander specifically, that's also lethal. This is a bit of a quirk that lets you play with more aggressive beat-down commanders as well as act as a safety valve that keeps players from auto-winning with infinite-life combos. It has to be damage dealt by your commander specifically, though. Other creatures don't count towards the 21-damage rule, which makes the 40 life relevant.

Though, honestly, there are plenty of other infinite combos players can assemble that'll do the trick instead :P

Rtsands45
06-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the explanations!
Am I missing something about the life totals? Didn't someone say you start with 40 life? Why start with 40 life if the game is played to 21? Am I reading this all wrong?

You start with 40 because you can be run over by creatures or burned out for 40 life. The 21 general damage is in case somebody has a massive lifegain deck and dealing 1 million damage probably won't happen. Plus the 21 general damage makes it interesting with generals that have haste/speed.

RobHaven
06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
I was reading "general" as "all-around" or "source non-specific." Now I get that "general" means commander...I think. It makes a lot more sense that way.

Thanks for [possibly?] clearing that up.

Aradon
06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
I was reading "general" as "all-around" or "source non-specific." Now I get that "general" means commander...I think. It makes a lot more sense that way.

You have it right :)

Rtsands45
06-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Yes, sorry General as in Commander sorry for that. I have been playing EDH/Commander well before Magic decided to change the name to Commander. It was originally a General and General damage.