PDA

View Full Version : Spectral Assassin functionality

Aradon
06-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure if we have a solid answer to this, but perhaps someone who's been looking at the cards more than I have may know. The Spectral Assassin PvE card begins the game stalking a random troop in the opponent's deck. Is this going to be a specific card, or each troop that has that name? For example, I imagine my card will say "Spectral Assassin is stalking Orson's Dream." However, does that mean I can use the ability to put Spectral Assassin into play for any Orson's Dream, or does it have to be the specific one out of a possible 4 that my Assassin is stalking?

Justinkp
06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I saw people discussing this and while I don't think anyone really knows the consensus seemed to be that it was a specific troop, not any one of the same name.

Justin

Khazrakh
06-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I saw people discussing this and while I don't think anyone really knows the consensus seemed to be that it was a specific troop, not any one of the same name.

Justin

I'd expect it to be every troop with that name, but that's just because it would be that way in every TCG I played so far. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Fateanomaly
06-18-2013, 10:01 PM
The troop name will be on shown on the assasin card. So i think it is most likely any troop with that card name.

Aradon
06-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Judging from the wording on the card text, it sounds like a specific troop card. The only reason I still question it is because you'll end up confused when they play an Orson's Dream, but not the one you were stalking, and it won't quite be clear why you can't activate the Assassin ability.

That, and because it'd be considerably more awesome to stalk troops of the same name, rather than a one-in-sixty chance to ever get value out of an expensive 5-cost 3/3.

Fateanomaly
06-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Orson's dream transform into a troop. If the troop matches the stalkers' target name then orson dream would be affected.

Baigan
06-19-2013, 03:25 AM
Hushed Cutter
Weapon
Destroy each card with the same name as that troop that opposing champions own in all zones.

The wording of the Hushed Cutter equip associated with Spectral Assassin leads me to strongly suspect that without equipment its effect only targets a single troop.

benczi
06-19-2013, 03:29 AM
That is the magic of an online only tcg - each card is an individual entity on its own, each card can be targeted, remodeled into another cards, etc. Spectral Assassin can stalk a random troop from the opponents deck, and the game knows witch card it is, so other cards with the same name are not affected. The wording is pretty clear, it affects a single card, not each card with the same name.

Fateanomaly
06-19-2013, 03:50 AM
From my understanding, Spectral assasin affect the troop whose name appears in the underlined space. The text in brackets just explain how it got the name that appears.

Frey
06-19-2013, 03:50 AM
The wording of the Hushed Cutter equip associated with Spectral Assassin leads me to strongly suspect that without equipment its effect only targets a single troop.

I think the same. It will be probably only 1 troop, killing 4 troops by just entering into play is for sure too awesome. Hushed Cutter would be useless if Assassin can kill 4 troops anyway.

Grissnap
06-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Hushed Cutter states "All Zones". All Zones includes the deck and hand. So it should be that you can play the Assassin in response to any card with the name that it is stalking, not just one particular card.

I'll break down how it works: first in order to actually to gain the destroy effect from the Assassin, the opposing troop it is stalking needs to enter play. When it enters play there will be a trigger that allows you to play the Assassin in response. Only by playing the assissin in response to this condition will you be able to destroy the opposing troop.

Then, if you have the Hushed Cutter, you can go on to destroy all the other troops with the same name in your opponnents hand, deck, field, etc.

If it were the other way, the name in the "stalking _____ " would have to be individualized to that partiuclar card somehow. Then, the Hushed Cutter's wording "each card with the same name" would be ineffective as that card would have some distinguishing name.

The only way the Assassin's power would make sense is if it works for any troop with the same name.

downtreader
06-19-2013, 07:41 AM
to throw my hat in the ring, i'd say it means any troop with the same name. otherwise, i think it would read "this troop begins stalking a random card in an opponent's deck." so, if one troop of the same name hits the field and you have two sapphire threshold, you can reveal the assassin, play it for free, and destroy the target.

then, if you also have the equipment, it destroys any other copies in the opponent's hand, graveyard, void, and deck.

now, to further my guess, i'd bet each copy of assassin in your deck stalks a different troop.

ramseytheory
06-19-2013, 07:56 AM
I suspect it means any troop with the same name, just because otherwise it would be a completely awful card. (Think about how often the ability would actually go off, and then realise that when it doesn't go off you're left with a 3/2 for 5...)

Diesbudt
06-19-2013, 08:35 AM
I suspect it means any troop with the same name, just because otherwise it would be a completely awful card. (Think about how often the ability would actually go off, and then realise that when it doesn't go off you're left with a 3/2 for 5...)

It is just the 1 troop. It says "Target troop" not Troop name. There is an equipment that allows it to stack ALL troops with the same name however.

ramseytheory
06-19-2013, 08:49 AM
It is just the 1 troop. It says "Target troop" not Troop name. There is an equipment that allows it to stack ALL troops with the same name however.

Actually that's not quite right. The card reads "This troop is stalking ______. (As the game starts, this troop begins stalking a random troop in an opponent's deck.) 2B: When a troop being stalked by this troop enters play, you may play this troop for free. If you do, destroy that troop."

Presumably the ______ will fill in during play. So in-game, the card will read something like "This troop is stalking Uruunaz. 2B: When a troop being stalked by this troop enters play, you may play this troop for free. If you do, destroy that troop." This text is unambiguous - when your opponent plays any copy of Uruunaz, spectral assassin gets to come out and play.

This is supported by the phrase "when a troop being stalked by this troop". The hushed cutter doesn't let the spectral assassin stalk more targets, it only lets him do more damage when he reveals himself ("Destroy each card with the same name as that troop that opposing champions own in all zones"). So under your reading, the spectral assassin could only ever stalk one card at a time, and the correct phrase would be "when the troop being stalked by this troop".

jaxsonbateman
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Honestly, I think it's just one single troop, primarily because of Zombie Plague. Pretty much, Zombie Plague has the same wording (random troop from opponent's deck), but we know that ZP is only targetting a single iteration of a troop because otherwise it would be seven different kinds of broken. Because Spectral Assassin uses the same wording, I'm inclined to think that it's just one iteration of the troop (plus that means that you don't get lucky when you hit a 4-of troop, and don't get burnt when you hit a 1-of troop - you're always just getting one troop named).

I don't think the card is supposed to be too good - it's meant to be potential card advantage, and be a Johnny style card for more casual KSers. At least, that's the feel I got from it when I read it.

Edit: actually, Dies' post has made me change my mind. While I feel the troop selection is done the same as ZP, because it's Spectral Assassin getting the ability and not the stalked troop, it seems like it'd hit any of them.

For some reason I initially thought the troop got some hidden ability that said "being stalked by Spectral Assassin". But now I feel like that was some other card.

I will still put out there that anyone actually trying to greatly utilize the card is going to /rage when they get burnt by it targetting a 1-of in the opponent's deck.

Daer
06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
It is any troop with the same name.

ossuary
06-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Logically, it HAS to be any troop with that name. Nothing else makes rational sense.

Remember that everything we have seen so far is pre-alpha. The functionality is going to be better refined as the finalized rules are locked down, and hopefully all the little ambiguous wordings will be cleaned up as well... I guarantee you that this card will work on all copies of the troop it is stalking (making it a pretty frickin' awesome counter for a raptor deck if you have its equipment on).

nearlysober
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
It has to be any troop with the name, otherwise you'd have no idea if the troop played was the right version the assassin was stalking.

Baigan
06-19-2013, 01:28 PM
The game can easily keep track of whether an individual card has been marked for stalking; a very similar system works for Replicator's Gambit.

That said, ramseytheory makes a very good point regarding the use of a versus the. I'm not really sure anymore.

Aradon
06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
From purely one player's point of view, if it's just one of the troops specifically, it will look weird when Spectral Assassin says it's stalking X card, and that troop enters the battlefield, but it wasn't the one the Assassin was tracking specifically. You'd fully expect to be able to use the Assassin's ability, because you have no visual distinction that clarifies which of the four is which.

Also, I don't think the comments about the Blade are relevant, since it has little to do with what it's stalking, just the effect when you trigger his ability.

Thanks for your input, guys. I guess we'll have to wait until gameplay to tell for sure, but at least it sounds like there's a good argument for it being any troop with that name. It looks like a neat card, but would be really awful if it only stalked one troop.