PDA

View Full Version : A pvp co-op / training idea! I think this would be great for Hex

havocattack
06-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Here is how it would work, say you're new to TCG's and you've joined a guild and it has a bunch of TCG Veterans in it. What you can do is start a game and have a friend / guild member join the game with you as an observer that is watching the game Live! (not the same as spectator mode)

They basically see everything that you would see (think of it as a mate sitting next to you watching you play on your pc) and then you could use something like ventrilo to chat with each other. They obviously cannot see the opponents hand like they could in spectator mode.

This adds a sort of Mentoring mode that allows people to help out new players and or watch how a new deck that your guild put together works :) It also allows mates to play a deck together, which is a lot of fun by itself (player 1 still controls everything with player 2 contributing over voice chat)

Another good example could be that you are too busy to play a game but have the time to watch your mate play and give him suggestions/comments now and then while you're working etc :)

Let me know what you think guys, I think it would be great for Hex and be highly beneficial to the long term success as it gives new players a great way to learn.

Cheers

HAVOC

volkmar77
06-19-2013, 02:07 AM
I think spectator mode is in the work, but it will surely not have a chat between the spectators and the players.
If you are in the same guild, however, then you can be using a voice chat program, like Mumble, skype, Ventrilo or whatever, WHILE you are playing and the veteran is spectating and you would achieve this fairly easy.

Hopefully spectator mode will not be built in such a way that allows unfair advantage by using this voice communication :D

havocattack
06-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Hi Volk, it's not the same as spectator mode, it works the same (so not hard to add) but you only see what your mate sees :)
As I said above, think of it like you're playing on your PC and have a mate sitting next to you watching, while they are not directly controlling the mouse, your mate can obviously still give suggestions and so on :)

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 02:10 AM
I like it it, it would help new players (like me) a lot. I suppose it would only be allowed in certain training games or when both competitors agree so it never seems like cheating.

I hope something like a hex university forms in game and this would be great for that. I love the idea of huge organizations, like a university, existing in hex, far bigger than single guilds since we'll presumably all be playing in one gameworld. I'll post something about these kinds of organizations in the next few days and try to remember your idea as part of the university idea.

Justin

Prince_Barin
06-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Having people watching me play picking apart every stupid movie i do and then laughing when i do things that work but i have no idea why. As a noobie im in!

Greyguard
Ah! So you can see your friends cards! That would be extremely helpful in being able to teach them what cards are appropriate for the situation. I figure normal spectator mode wont allow you to view peoples hands.

This would be a VERY simple feature to include in the game!

havocattack
@ JustinKP
Don't see how it would ever be considered cheating, it's not like you couldn't have a few people sitting around the same computer playing the game together with 1 person controlling the mouse... ;)
There is no real advantage in that situation and this would be the same thing except your mate doesn't have to physically be there.

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 02:16 AM
@ JustinKP
Don't see how it would ever be considered cheating, it's not like you couldn't have a few people sitting around the same computer playing the game together with 1 person controlling the mouse... ;)

I pretty much agree but knew not everyone would, see the "unfair advantage" mentioned in the first reply. At the least everyone involved should probably know this is being used so someone doesn't cry "foul" afterwards.

Justin

ramseytheory
06-19-2013, 03:07 AM
Yeah, this seems like a nice idea as long as it's turned off by default.

Prince_Barin
06-19-2013, 03:14 AM
I also feel that the player will have to allow each person to look at their cards. Instead of an on by default, this would stop any, "im going to look at my friends opponents cards and tell him whats what".

havocattack
06-19-2013, 03:18 AM
No no no!! This is not a spectator mode! This is purely for seeing what your friend sees... so since he can't see opponents cards, neither can you!

The difference is your watching the game LIVE and can help your mate by talking to him either via official voice chat or on programs like ventrilo, mumble etc

Spectator mode that they already announced would be delayed (to avoid cheating) and you can see everything one would assume.

TheDiv
06-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Would be a great idea! Even for PvE, if the dungeon encounters are as hard as they could be, having some guidance from a mate would be awesome, plus it adds to the social aspect of the game :)

Avignon
06-19-2013, 04:30 AM
+1, spectator mode should have a few different options which won't break the game.

MrSeriousBsns
06-19-2013, 05:22 AM
I like this "piggy back" mode. I think it takes a back seat to the main spectator mode to make sure competitive Hex has great viewer features, but definitely something good to pack in!

Snowdogs
06-19-2013, 05:44 AM
I like the idea, it could lead to Pro/Am type tournaments where professionals players could team up with random casual players utilising a deck created by the casual players.

jai151
06-19-2013, 06:04 AM
I very much like the idea, though yank the voice chat. I don't think they're putting any kind of voice chat into the client, and most guilds/friends have other solutions.

One thing I'd also like to recommend is a true training mode, where both players play face up. I know that's how I always taught people to play Magic.

DoctorJoe
06-19-2013, 06:12 AM
If this doesn't make it into the base game client, it is still possible if you jump through the hoops to set up a stream and share it with your friend/guild. I've done this for a couple other games, and aside from the initial setup, it went pretty well. You probably need to stream in HD though or the text will probably be hard to read.

An ingame client could have some pretty sweet advantages though. For example your piggybacker could zoom in cards without affecting what you're seeing or asking you to do it so they can reread a card's text. From there they might even be able to do things like draw on the screen 'telestrator' style like in a sports instant replay or make a visual effect to draw your attention to a card that they are talking about as they are giving advice.

BewilderedGhost
06-19-2013, 06:35 AM
I think this is a really good tool Havoc. I really hope they implement something like this into the game.

Snowdogs
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
This in game tutoring could have a range of potential tournament ideas, like the Pro/Am tournament I mentioned, but you could also have a mentoring league. A ladder that rewards better players for mentoring lower ranked players. Not to mention having celebrity mentors like Cryptozoic staff.

Rydavim
06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
This seems like a solid idea - perhaps something to be included in guild functionality (like card sharing via bank)? I have some experience from MtG and WoW TCG, but I definitely wouldn't mind being able to get real-time advice from someone online. +1

havocattack
06-20-2013, 04:46 AM
bump

Scod
06-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I'm new to the realm of TCG's so it would be great to have someone watching over me to help understand why certain cards are better to play then others at certain points.

PepeLePewPew
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Very good idea! I hope someone from CZE reads this :)

havocattack
06-24-2013, 01:35 AM
bump

Syeblaze
06-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Definitely a solid idea. Casual play only, certainly, but an amazing idea all the same.

havocattack
06-29-2013, 01:40 AM
:)

Arbiter
06-29-2013, 06:58 AM
We don't even know what spectator mode will be. I doubt that Hex will be any different to MtGO (that is drafts will be closed to view -so you couldn't look on there). You may be able to do this without any special set up.

I think it's great for practice, and would also be great for in-guild or player run tournaments. You have to remember that one consequence of this type of play is that it will slow the new player down, and new players are already likely to be slow. So this sort of thing is actually more of a hindrance in tightly timed tournaments, anyway. If you can set the timer to 45 minutes per player though, it gives enough added time that a player could get some advice without ending up very time stressed. Also if all the players are going into this knowing that people are getting tutored, no one should get irritated or annoyed at the slower game play.

Mr.Funsocks
06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
I dunno why anyone thinks it'd be an unfair advantage... It'd be opt-in, so it'd be no different than just streaming the game on Twitch/other service.

Kietay
06-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Skype > share screen. If people want this to be a feature built in to the game even though it is easily done through a 3rd party. Then I say voice should be integrated as well. Don't ask for cake and then refuse to eat it but then eat the icing when no one is looking! c:

havocattack
06-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Would be much better if it was implemented than having to use a 3rd party app, I'm sure you would agree. They already have spectator mode so adding this would be fairly straightforward.