PDA

View Full Version : Buffing cards

Patrigan
06-19-2013, 04:13 AM
First of all, this is not about banning or nerfing. There has been enough (mostly pointless) discussion about that already.

What I would like to ask, what is the community's oppinion on buffing cards. A quick search on buff didn't result ina thread, so I figured why not discuss this then (since we're mostly discussing pointless stuff anyway).

Surely everyone has tried building a deck with a key card they thought would make an awesome deck, but the key card falls short. This could be because the key card of the deck is slightly overcosted. Or the key troop needs just that one extra health to make it worthwile.

What about buffing these cards to become just right to be able to compete at the high level?

Buffing would promote more creativity and it would also make cards rise in value (which seems to be a deciding factor for quite a few persons, strangely enough).

Buffing: "Yay!" or "Nay!"?

Grissnap
06-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Nay. I disagree on all points. Just as bad as nerfing.

You will always need to have winning and losing cards in sets, its the nature of the beast.

[Image of sunglasses falling from the sky onto some animal's eyes]

ramseytheory
06-19-2013, 04:23 AM
I'm actually still against it. When it comes right down to it, I want to feel like I own my collection, and that's severely undermined if CZE starts changing my cards. (I suspect this might be where a lot of the opposition to nerfing comes from as well, market values aside - banning a card puts a restriction on how you can use something you own, nerfing a card takes it away.)

Patrigan
06-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Nay. I disagree on all points. Just as bad as nerfing.

You will always need to have winning and losing cards in sets, its the nature of the beast.

[Image of sunglasses falling from the sky onto some animal's eyes]

Well, you will still have losing cards, no? It would just make the odds of opening a losing card slightly less.

ButtPuncher
06-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Nope. Selectively buffing 1 card has the same net effect as nerfing every other card slightly. In that regard it's actually worse than nerfing.

Grissnap
06-19-2013, 04:28 AM
@Patrigan

No, it won't. The nature of the format is that even if all the cards were overpowered, there will be cards that are more overpowered and cards that are less overpowered. Relatively, there will still be winners and losers. There will be losing cards, no matter what.

Plus, if you print all amazing cards in one set, the next set you will either 1) have to print even more overpowered cards (thus negating any value of the previous set), or 2) cards will be relatively less overpowered than the previous set, and thus people will not be interested in that set, at all.

Malicus
06-19-2013, 04:28 AM
I think it should be all or nothing - buffs and nerfs or neither. Given that this is a digital game making the buff/nerf dynamic would be interesting - alternate action in tournament play regular action outside.

I am still on the fence about how I see this game, my initial investment was done in order to play for a sustained period so this may change once I buy a single and am invested specifically instead of generally.

Patrigan
06-19-2013, 04:32 AM
@Patrigan

No, it won't. The nature of the format is that even if all the cards were overpowered, there will be cards that are more overpowered and cards that are less overpowered. Relatively, there will still be winners and losers. There will be losing cards, no matter what.

Plus, if you print all amazing cards in one set, the next set you will either 1) have to print even more overpowered cards (thus negating any value of the previous set), or 2) cards will be relatively less overpowered than the previous set, and thus people will not be interested in that set, at all.

To be honest, I was mostly talking about cards with a really specific mechanic, that is unlikely to be reprinted again.

It would be rather pointless to buff a 1cost 2damage card to become a 1cost 3damage card.

Unhurtable
06-19-2013, 04:37 AM
The need to buff a card seems weird to me, to a certain extent, unless the card has been previously nerfed. Design revolves around seeing the negatives and positives of a certain design, where most of the time the negatives are harder to find. This means that its easier to release overpowered elements than underpowered elements unless you are doing it on purpose (like releasing a hero in DotA that is purposefully underpowered just to make sure that there aren't any gamebreaking synergies). In other words, I have a hard time seeing cards being released that need a buff unless CZE are planning to buff/nerf cards.

Shadowelf
06-19-2013, 04:45 AM
I'm actually still against it. When it comes right down to it, I want to feel like I own my collection, and that's severely undermined if CZE starts changing my cards.

Nope. Selectively buffing 1 card has the same net effect as nerfing every other card slightly. In that regard it's actually worse than nerfing.

Above quotes summarize my thoughts perfectly

jai151
06-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Whether a buff or a nerf, it's still detrimental. The problem is not the effect on the card, but the effect knowing that the card text is malleable will have on the player base.

Grissnap
06-19-2013, 05:03 AM
Also, this.

Daer
06-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Nay

Fireblast
06-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Buffing and Nerfing is important in games like WoW and LoL but in a TCG it comes from banning/sets rotating out/printing new cards.

The impact assessment is too complicated and the risks vs rewards is too small for this to be viable.

~

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Plus there'll be lots of new cards coming. If they feel they underpowered something they can just make a completely new card with the improvement without sacrificing the perceived "reality" of the card.

Justin

MatWith1T
06-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Nay.

As has been said before, buffing one card essentially nerfs the other cards you would use in its place.
Besides, there is a constant rotation of new cards and sets. If a card is underperforming, they can make a similar card with the desired improvements as a totally new card in the next set... which then will be playable in formal PvP longer because its in the newest set and in the rotation longer.

Also, buffing (or nerfing) a card inevitably creates a growing chorus of demands for changes on every other card someone might like or dislike, under the guise of fairness.