PDA

View Full Version : Is Dollar the currency unit we will use ?

Keznath
06-19-2013, 05:07 AM
I used dollars for the kickstarter, and i'm living in Europe.

For boosters, how do i know if i'm going to pay them in dollars, or euros ?

And if i'm chinese, will i pay in yuans ?

Where can find answer to that question ?

I hope i won't use euros, i don't want my boosters are more expensive...

Shadowelf
06-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Nowhere officially but my expereince tells me that they will incorporate an ingame currency converter sooner or later

Frey
06-19-2013, 05:21 AM
I think all prices will be in USD. So if you have diffrent local currency you will need to convert into USD. If you use credit card, it will automaticly change your payment into USD (however the currency ratio won't be great for sure).

Shadowelf
06-19-2013, 05:27 AM
I think all prices will be in USD. So if you have diffrent local currency you will need to convert into USD. If you use credit card, it will automaticly change your payment into USD (however the currency ratio won't be great for sure).

Your CC's statement converts ur payments in ur country's currency too. But that's not the point; u should be able to know exactly how much ur paying at the moment of payment so that u can better calculate the amount of money u have available to spend

Malicus
06-19-2013, 05:31 AM
My guess is they will continue to charge in US dollars as long as we are all playing together since in general it is the most fair (exchange rate fluctuation sucks but it is generally better than fixed pricing in multiple currencies which would create situations where I need to convert my NZ dollars to Euros rather than dollars because it is cheaper that way).

Although now that I am thinking about it having multiple options isn't too bad provided they don't lock things regionally, you could simply pick the one you want to transact in. Though I would choose my cheapest option which reasonably would grant Crypto the least money so probably not great for them.

For simplicity overall and especially for Crypto I foresee them going with US only and letting the vagaries of international currency fluctuate as they will.

I got screwed on the KS exhange rate though - about a 7% swing in the NZ vs US dollar between the time I pledged and end of KS should have gone through paypal I guess.

Yoss
06-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure all in-game prices will be in PLATINUM. We know you'll be able to get Plat with $US. I have not heard if you'll be able to convert other currencies to Plat.

Deathfog
06-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Unless a company has sublicensed maintainers in various regions of the world, they typically will just base everything off of a constant. In this case US dollars to platinum.

ConnorJS
06-19-2013, 11:48 AM
I used dollars for the kickstarter, and i'm living in Europe.

For boosters, how do i know if i'm going to pay them in dollars, or euros ?

And if i'm chinese, will i pay in yuans ?

Where can find answer to that question ?

I hope i won't use euros, i don't want my boosters are more expensive...

I think what will happen is that there will be multiple currency methods and hopefully they will reflect the 'real' value of that currency. I'm hoping I wont get screwed by the dollar smashing the :(.

Chilipapa
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Your CC's statement converts ur payments in ur country's currency too. But that's not the point; u should be able to know exactly how much ur paying at the moment of payment so that u can better calculate the amount of money u have available to spend

There is no way for them to know what your CC company would charge to convert(both the exchange rate and the service charge for conversion). This is your responsibility, as you are the one in a relationship with your CC company, not CZE.

You -> issuing bank(cc company) -> visa/mastercard/other financial network -> payment acceptance company -> CZE

edit::note, both the issuer and the financial network may be charging separately. You HAVE to know what charges you will incur. Again, CZE has no control over those two factors. It's all on you.

ConnorJS
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
The issue is the purchasing power parity varies depending on the currency exchange. For example 1 = $1.60 (ish) but something that costs 1 in the UK might cost $2 in the US, however hopefully this wont be an issue if they have separate prices for the more popular currencies. If they don't do this then fair enough, nobody else does and I wouldn't expect CZE to put loads of resources into something that will save people pennies.

Shadowelf
06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
There is no way for them to know what your CC company would charge to convert(both the exchange rate and the service charge for conversion). This is your responsibility, as you are the one in a relationship with your CC company, not CZE.

You -> issuing bank(cc company) -> visa/mastercard/other financial network -> payment acceptance company -> CZE

edit::note, both the issuer and the financial network may be charging separately. You HAVE to know what charges you will incur. Again, CZE has no control over those two factors. It's all on you.

Who said anything about charges ? All i 'm saying is that my banks' statement lists all my payments in euros despite paying in $US, because my country's primary currency is euro. Also that's why i proposed the incorporation of a currency converter; the converter is updated daily and can help u in ur payments. But i can see the implications; so maybe a fixed price in each currency might be a better option. $2 for US, 1.5 for EU etc..

Chilipapa
06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Who said anything about charges ? All i 'm saying is that my banks' statement lists all my payments in euros despite paying in $US, because my country's primary currency is euro. Also that's why i proposed the incorporation of a currency converter; the converter is updated daily and can help u in ur payments. But i can see the implications; so maybe a fixed price in each currency might be a better option. $2 for US, 1.5 for EU etc..

Displaying in a foreign currency would be misleading, as it would imply they were selling in that currency(which would not require a currency conversion).

I think you misunderstand the way currency works. The "exchange rate" isn't some global monetary entity, but a figure based on markets. This is not "100 U.S. cents = 1 U.S. dollar". It's an abstract number representing what the average comparative value of two currencies is based on samples in a specific place/time(or an aggregation of multiple samples in multiple markets). A bank and/or VISA/MC/AMEX/Diner's Club/Discover/STAR/Cirrus can give you whatever rate they want, but you may think it is wrong and choose to give any profits to someone else instead. Even the rate at which they update their offered conversion rates is not standardized(%/flat tends to be fixed by your card agreements).

AFAIK, the only way to actually tell you a price is via paypal. Paypal is a bank, and they already have your funds. So when their servers receive a payment request from a payment acceptance company it returns the total with all charges(currency conversion fees comprising their offered rate and all %/flat) applied. By not having both a financial network and a card issuer involved(paypal ends up being both in one), they can state exactly what the "price" is in both currencies. I believe they actually return the amount in local currency, providing a hook for the payment acceptance company and the game company to display the value in the game client.

Shadowelf
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Working for a bank , are u ? Thanks for the info and the effort that took to write down a wall of text to educate me :)

Jonesy
06-19-2013, 03:56 PM
In my experience credit cards offer the best exchange rate you'll find and since everything will be billed to your credit card you have nothing to worry about. If you need to micro-manage your budget you can either do the math yourself or stop playing a DCG because you're broke (at least the PvP aspect, that is)!

Chilipapa
06-19-2013, 04:16 PM
In my experience credit cards offer the best exchange rate you'll find and since everything will be billed to your credit card you have nothing to worry about. If you need to micro-manage your budget you can either do the math yourself or stop playing a DCG because you're broke (at least the PvP aspect, that is)!

Depends. I mostly follow NA banks, but they tend to charge 2% and VISA/MC take 1%. But some banks take less, and some banks have deals with VISA/MC so the network charge is waived. Discover and Amex are their own networks so it's just 1 person charging you(but they have less coverage). Their quoted price is often pretty close to "market" because they can ride out currency fluctuations.