PDA

View Full Version : Booster Draft Simulator

Plaga
06-19-2013, 05:08 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2sbtw6t.jpg (http://www.hexdraft.com/)

Hexers, I bring you the first Booster Draft Simulator (http://www.hexdraft.com/)!
Originally I made it for personal use, but I feel many of you will enjoy it :P
Thanks to Kemical (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/member.php?u=19220)for giving his permission to use his great Hex DB (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/) site.

You can follow the Draft Simulator in Twitter (https://twitter.com/HexDraft)and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HexDraft)to keep track of updates and news of the Draft Simulator.

Keep in mind it's a work in progress, go easy with it.

Features

Includes all the PVP cards we've seen so far.
Hints about what card to pick
Sorting options for your list of the picked cards.
Build your deck once you have your 45 cards.
See what the AI players got.
Repeat the draft using the same boosters, or share it with your friends.
Emulates a booster pack construction (no repeated cards, 12 commons, 3 uncommons and 1 rare/legendary, at least one card of every color).
Legendary/Rare ratio is 1 in 8.
Tested with Chrome and Firefox. (afaik should work with IE and others)

Known bugs and errors

Some cards are blurry (Axe bot). I'm using the resources of Hex DB, since most of the cards we've seen come from streams, that's the quality we have for now.

Enjoy it, and feel free to post bugs, suggestions, ideas and comments in this thread.

FranzVonG
06-19-2013, 05:15 AM
wow, just wow! Well done sir!

Malicus
06-19-2013, 05:17 AM
kind of fun but the AI sure seems to hate rares and legendaries :P

It would be fun if you could set it up for 8 actual people to use it.

Frey
06-19-2013, 05:19 AM
Some simple AI algorytm for picking cards would be awesome. Whole concept is great and thxs for this simulator.

Plaga
06-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Yeah, picks are random for now.
If I have time I'll put some basic AI tomorrow. I have some simple things in mind that should do the trick.

KaosSoul
06-19-2013, 05:25 AM
how did you reach 159? PVP card 747
im guessing you forgot to remove the 5 Ressources?

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 05:27 AM

I'm no coder but it seems like really good drafting AI would be hard. Simulating rare drafters would be pretty easy but making picks that actually build a good deck seems pretty tough. I guess just generally picking the same colors would help but other than that I'm not sure how much better you could make it.

Justin

Plaga
06-19-2013, 05:31 AM
how did you reach 159? PVP card 747
im guessing you forgot to remove the 5 Ressources?
Promo cards (alternate art pvp) are included.

Random360
06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Ah, this is lovely! I was wondering when somebody would create one. I'll be spending days on this.

KaosSoul
06-19-2013, 05:36 AM
Promo cards (alternate art pvp) are included.

ah temporarly i guess until the actual ones are out?

Plaga
06-19-2013, 05:36 AM
I'm no coder but it seems like really good drafting AI would be hard. Simulating rare drafters would be pretty easy but making picks that actually build a good deck seems pretty tough. I guess just generally picking the same colors would help but other than that I'm not sure how much better you could make it.

Justin
I have 3 basic AI in mind:
- Rare drafters
- Priority list
- Pick 1/2 colors and stick to it (maybe including a priority list for those 2 colors)

From the coder point of view they all should be easy enough to do, as I said, maybe I'll have something to show tomorrow.

Plaga
06-19-2013, 05:37 AM
ah temporarly i guess until the actual ones are out?Yep

Malicus
06-19-2013, 05:41 AM

Justin

I was having the same thought but like you I do not code.

For me in general I will assume the rare will be drafted in most cases especially in the early days while people are still building collections (if I was drafting as a more efficient way to open my packs I would almost certainly rare draft my own boosters since I have the other 42 picks to make my deck), pros might pass on rares and legendaries but I would be surprised if less enlightened players will.

I can think of the things that people have said about drafting - keeping shards to a minimum 1 or 2 with artifact being neutral and maintaining a reasonable cost serve - something like a card counting method +/- for card cost maybe so the ai tracks the average card cost baseline of 2 and adds or subtracts for any card with a different casting cost. maybe 2.5 baseline instead whatever works out efficient.

ButtPuncher
06-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Last pick Uruunaz ftw.

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 05:50 AM
I have 3 basic AI in mind:
- Rare drafters
- Priority list
- Pick 1/2 colors and stick to it (maybe including a priority list for those 2 colors)

From the coder point of view they all should be easy enough to do, as I said, maybe I'll have something to show tomorrow.

Ah, I didn't consider a priority list, that should make a big difference and not be too hard with the number of cards available.

It would be interesting to have an AI that learns, couldn't really do it for drafting unless you also had the AI play a tournament and had AI for that but linking up a learning AI both for play and for drafting would be pretty cool.

I thought I read somewhere that the AI in hex would learn and get better but I have no idea now where I may have seen that. Has anyone else heard that or am I getting it confused with something else I read?

Some kind of neural network, learning AI would be awesome, imagine how good it could potentially get playing thousands of people.

Justin

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 05:52 AM
I was having the same thought but like you I do not code.

For me in general I will assume the rare will be drafted in most cases especially in the early days while people are still building collections (if I was drafting as a more efficient way to open my packs I would almost certainly rare draft my own boosters since I have the other 42 picks to make my deck), pros might pass on rares and legendaries but I would be surprised if less enlightened players will.

I can think of the things that people have said about drafting - keeping shards to a minimum 1 or 2 with artifact being neutral and maintaining a reasonable cost serve - something like a card counting method +/- for card cost maybe so the ai tracks the average card cost baseline of 2 and adds or subtracts for any card with a different casting cost. maybe 2.5 baseline instead whatever works out efficient.

Good thoughts on mana curve, something else that didn't even occur to me, that would also make a big difference.

I suspect even the pro players will have a hard time passing up legendaries in drafts :)

Justin

wildcard
06-19-2013, 05:53 AM
You could make a series of prioritized picks for a given draft deck. Real humans would adapt their choices as the draft progresses, but the "AI" could pursue this fixed list and even be scored on how close it got. Might end up with 100% creatures or something silly, but it might be a decent start.

Avignon
06-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Good stuff, was waiting for something awesome like this!!

Your timing is imperfect though, I was just about to go to bed. Now I decide if I try to go to sleep thinking about this, or stay up for next 2 hours using this. First world problem clearly.

Malicus
06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Good stuff, was waiting for something awesome like this!!

Your timing is imperfect though, I was just about to go to bed. Now I decide if I try to go to sleep thinking about this, or stay up for next 2 hours using this. First world problem clearly.

I was in the same position, thankfully I found this right after it went up so I could have my fun and now I better retire :(.

Plaga
06-19-2013, 06:03 AM
It would be interesting to have an AI that learns...
...Some kind of neural network, learning AI would be awesome, imagine how good it could potentially get...
It would be great, but its far to complex to do given the amount of free time I have.

Your timing is imperfect though, I was just about to go to bed.
Sorry about that, 3pm here :P

Justinkp
06-19-2013, 06:13 AM
It would be great, but its far to complex to do given the amount of free time I have

Oh I wasn't suggesting you do it, sorry-that would be way too much work-I'd imagine it would take a team to do it really well. I was just thinking how cool it would be if done with cutting edge AI and lots of resources.

DisOrd3r
06-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Awesome work! :)

Wystii
06-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Oh my goodness! is that how it works? Thanks I'll definitely need the practice.

Typhon
06-19-2013, 06:40 AM
This is fantastic; good job!

ButtPuncher
06-19-2013, 06:58 AM
On the left side clicky draft cards the art for Repel and Zodiac Shaman are the same, you have to hover over them to determine which is which.

There are also some cases where a card will be in the pack under different names. Rage Monger and Veteran Gladiator, for example, are the same card.

Mr.Funsocks
06-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Minor picky suggestion: don't use the same sidebars as the Hex site. It can give people the impression you're trying to clone its layout to phish for passwords or something. Also might annoy the Hex site admin as he'll get complaints about something on your site not working as people confuse the two ;)

wildcard
06-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Really enjoying this. Feature suggestion: when the draft is over redirect to a page that just lists your picks, and lets you sort them by cost and by color, maybe click to highlight so you can "build a deck" out of them. It's a bit hard to really get a feel for "how you did" without some tools to arrange the cards.

KaosSoul
06-19-2013, 07:11 AM
There are also some cases where a card will be in the pack under different names. Rage Monger and Veteran Gladiator, for example, are the same card.

it is most likely Rage Monger who is the Real end card, since its the latest shown version with that image, altho this uses Hex Data Mine (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/) so all cards in it for PVP are used, and until they are sure 100% if its really the same card and not a temp image or whatever both are in the database. Soon alpha hit alot will be cleared and i expect the database to be near complete if not really close to it.

Veteran Gladiator (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=197) < No Speed
Rage Monger (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=79) < Speed

Gorgol
06-19-2013, 07:18 AM
this is freaking fantastic!

Really enjoying this. Feature suggestion: when the draft is over redirect to a page that just lists your picks, and lets you sort them by cost and by color, maybe click to highlight so you can "build a deck" out of them. It's a bit hard to really get a feel for "how you did" without some tools to arrange the cards.

If this would be possible it would be amazing!

negativeZer0
06-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Sugestions:
Button to sort the list after your done by color and cost

AI:
The only way to get this even close to working is assigning a value to cards based on how playable they are.
The AI will for pick one will just choose the highest value card.
It will continue choosing the highest value card until it has 2 colors
it will then only choose the highest value of those 2 colors choosing outside those colors only if it is required to

Ways to expand upon this is to have a probability of different ai behaviors
Random chance the person will be one of the following

standard - highest probability uses above rules

rare - assigns additional value to rares then if a rare is X points higher then cards in its 2 colors it will always take that card instead

Color envy - picks 3 colors assigns slightly less value to the third color cards (simulates 3rd color being a smaller portion of the deck as most players would do)

Rush - assigns additional value to low cost creatures and spells (still stays in its 2 colors)

Hate - If any card is X higher (not just rares) then cards in its 2 colors it will take that instead (does not assign extra value to these cards will just take cards that are "much better" then cards in its color to remove them from the draft)

From a programing standpoint these are very simple checks
The problem is figuring out a way to value the cards and then actually assigning a value to each
card

One way to value the cards is to track how often people pick each card for a deck.
So you would have to add in a feature that after you draft you "build" your 40 card deck by typing in how much of each resource you put in and then check marking a box for the cards you add to your deck then a save button. For simplicity sake you would be required to have between 13 and 21 resources and exactly 40 cards (yes you can build decks bigger when drafting for real but this makes life easy and puts in a check to make sure people are building real decks when they save)
Then take that number and divide it by the rarity ratio.
Ex: a common is picked by a person and selected for the deck 100 times. 100/.8125 = 123
a rare is picked by a person and selected for the deck 10 times. 10/.0625 = 160
this generates the score for each card that the AI would use for determining "is this card good?".

(this would be a cumulative total of everyone using the program and would require MANY people to use the program before the ai starts making smart picks but will not require that you individually value the cards. It would also require a database that stores each card name and its value.)

Plaga
06-19-2013, 07:27 AM
On the left side clicky draft cards the art for Repel and Zodiac Shaman are the same, you have to hover over them to determine which is which.

I can't reproduce the problem with zodiac and repel :S
The repeated cards under different names exist in HexDB which the drafter uses. As stated by KaosSoul it seems a problem of the gladiator being an old version of the card.

negativeZer0
06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Plaga,
No comment on my ai post :(

Gwaer
06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
neat!

Fireblast
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
It's very nice, can't wait to have more cards as I ended up with 10 murders and 5 inner conflicts!

~

Qorsair
06-19-2013, 09:31 AM
This is a great suggestion and the part about using players picks is something that I was going to suggest.
Quoting so it doesn't get skipped just because it was the last post on a page:

Sugestions:
Button to sort the list after your done by color and cost

AI:
The only way to get this even close to working is assigning a value to cards based on how playable they are.
The AI will for pick one will just choose the highest value card.
It will continue choosing the highest value card until it has 2 colors
it will then only choose the highest value of those 2 colors choosing outside those colors only if it is required to

Ways to expand upon this is to have a probability of different ai behaviors
Random chance the person will be one of the following

standard - highest probability uses above rules

rare - assigns additional value to rares then if a rare is X points higher then cards in its 2 colors it will always take that card instead

Color envy - picks 3 colors assigns slightly less value to the third color cards (simulates 3rd color being a smaller portion of the deck as most players would do)

Rush - assigns additional value to low cost creatures and spells (still stays in its 2 colors)

Hate - If any card is X higher (not just rares) then cards in its 2 colors it will take that instead (does not assign extra value to these cards will just take cards that are "much better" then cards in its color to remove them from the draft)

From a programing standpoint these are very simple checks
The problem is figuring out a way to value the cards and then actually assigning a value to each
card

One way to value the cards is to track how often people pick each card for a deck.
So you would have to add in a feature that after you draft you "build" your 40 card deck by typing in how much of each resource you put in and then check marking a box for the cards you add to your deck then a save button. For simplicity sake you would be required to have between 13 and 21 resources and exactly 40 cards (yes you can build decks bigger when drafting for real but this makes life easy and puts in a check to make sure people are building real decks when they save)
Then take that number and divide it by the rarity ratio.
Ex: a common is picked by a person and selected for the deck 100 times. 100/.8125 = 123
a rare is picked by a person and selected for the deck 10 times. 10/.0625 = 160
this generates the score for each card that the AI would use for determining "is this card good?".

(this would be a cumulative total of everyone using the program and would require MANY people to use the program before the ai starts making smart picks but will not require that you individually value the cards. It would also require a database that stores each card name and its value.)

Also--if you're going to be saving/analyzing the deck builds--it would be neat to have a link "Last 5 Decks" (or something similar), where you could see what the last X drafts ended up with for decks.

Corpselocker
06-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Fun stuff. Nice work :)

ConnorJS
06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
You sir, have given us all something amazing! Well done so much on this :).

Plaga
06-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Plaga,
No comment on my ai post :(
Sorry, yeah I already thought of that, but setting the system to collect the data is problematic at this point.

PowderedToastMan
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Plaga good sir you ROCK,

I am now at work skating on thin ice because of you.

WOOOHOOO!

Awesome work bud,

ConnorJS
06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Stupid question, what are the legendary/rare symbols?

negativeZer0
06-19-2013, 12:05 PM
This is a great suggestion and the part about using players picks is something that I was going to suggest.
Quoting so it doesn't get skipped just because it was the last post on a page:

Also--if you're going to be saving/analyzing the deck builds--it would be neat to have a link "Last 5 Decks" (or something similar), where you could see what the last X drafts ended up with for decks.

It would not be saving individual decks this takes a more complicated system. In the way I described the data base basically contains the name of each card followed by a number. Then when you "save" your deck it adds 1 to the number associated with each card name for every time the card is in your deck.

Plaga
06-19-2013, 01:29 PM
The problems with the wrong-sized images in the big cards with Murder, rune ear commander and Fang of the Mountain God should be fixed now. If you still see it wrong, do a forced refresh (ctrl+f5).

HyenaNipples
06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks for this. Pretty sweet stuff.

JoB3nder
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks a ton Plaga! This is awesome.

And thanks Kemical for the DB and allowing the use of the DB here. That is awesome as well.

whythelastman
06-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Thank you for this! Wow :)

wayne
06-19-2013, 04:16 PM
fun times

Qorsair
06-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you for this! Wow :)

Oh yeah, I think I forgot that in my previous post.
Thank you, Plaga! I know you're dealing with extremely limited information right now, but it's really a great tool you have built! Thanks for your contribution to the community!

theeliminator
06-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Stupid question, what are the legendary/rare symbols?

Look at the bottom of the card. White = common , Green = uncommon, Blue = rare, Red/orange (depends on your eyes) Legendary

Also I would like to second the request for someplace to sort the cards after your done.

JoB3nder
06-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I agree that sorting the cards would be great.

Selecting/highlighting desired cards to then see the mana curve and other statistics would be gravy.

Zarien
06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
The concept is awesome! Great job! Can't wait to mess around with this all night.

Beastmaster
06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Man, this is awesome. Thanks Plaga.

The only thing that would make this better would be a way for the awesome HEX content creators to use it to create mock draft scenarios, followed by a poll and then a comment on why they chose what they did.

I guess they could do this at the moment if you gave them permission to screenshot the simulator and put it up on a forum with poll functionality (I know UC has polls for instance).

The next step would be to allow them to change around the cards to make specific scenarios - though again they could achieve this with a little photoshop.

Anyway, awesome work - I love being able to have a go at drafting Hex already - just wish I knew if I was doing it right ;)

Jarric
06-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Very Nice start. This will be a great tool for beginning drafters to get used to the process. Will also help others practice their speed in which they select cards.

The format is nice too (kinda hope the actual UI is similar to this as its very easy to read).
A better overall view at the end would be nice. Like grouping the same cards together and formatting by color perhaps. Just something to maybe include later.

Great start though keep going I will be bookmarking this along with my Potion of Wit bookmark

Rydavim
06-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Great tool, thank you. +1 to keep this near the top of the page. Sticky? Add link to Consolidated Links sticky thread?

Baigan
06-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Got a Vampire King on the second round. I would be okay with this happening again in the actual game.

Prism
06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Haven't looked at the card database as I wanted the cards to be a bit of a surprise. Made the most insane mono-blood (black) ogre deck ever.

Couldn't find a deck editor, but the deck was so good I didnt even want to play my 6 ruby orcs. 2x Blood Harbinger. Lol... hope I get this good luck in beta!

/Edit: Nevermind... the bots' picks are random. Just did another draft and it was equally insane. Also the power level of these cards are just much higher on average than MTG

Also, blue has a ton of synergy, although it's pretty much all dwarf/artifact, but it still kind of sucks from what I see. I will not attempt to draft it irl

Blood > wild > ruby > diamond > sapphire for me so far

funktion
06-19-2013, 10:16 PM
If I had to put my 2 cents in about the best way to set up the ai is this. Collect the data from the users using the simulator, if they first pick a card it gets 15 points, if they last pick it, it gets 1. Once enough data is collected the ai will begin to pick the card with the highest average value.
-if a card is off color from what the ai already has, then subtract 3-5 from the average value

This is by no means perfect, but it's much closer to the real deal. Granted it's still a time investment, whoever accomplishes this first with their website though will conquer all.

With all that said plaga, thanks for taking the time to put this together, the method I'd been using myself was REALLY REALLY clunky. So long as Crypto doesn't ask you to take it down or anything like that, I'd suggest that you and Kemical combine your efforts, should have a link in the top bar to your simulator on the potionofwit site!

Edit: blagh! Negative beat me to it 4 pages ago, that's what I get for working a 12 hour shift today : (

Chiany
06-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks for this awesome simulator, but the AI does need alot of work

Getting Vampire King passed in pack 3 as 4th pick is not gonna happen.

ZillahEnoch
06-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Well, he did say there was no AI yet. Let's be patient !

Thank you very much Plaga, very fun to use (and also fantasize about getting 34 rares per draft ^^)

Ramshackal
06-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Great work, I love this!

mithosiris
06-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Awesome sauce

poptasticboy
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Wow, if only that draft were real - I got 4 Burns, 5 Murders and 2 Vampire Kings!

Plaga
06-20-2013, 04:21 PM
New version up with a lot of internal changes but just a few minor noticeable things (turn counter, it's no longer possible to get booster packs missing any color).
I guess tomorrow IŽll try to put together some kind of basic AI...

Bailin
06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Great work Plaga, can't thank you enough for your efforts here.

Plaga
06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Today changes:
- Deck building support, once you finish drafting you will see a link to create your deck in HexDB.
- Turn counter
- The problem with some images not being updated when picking a card should be fixed now
- Data of your picks will be stored for future use (yeah, when I say future use i'm talking about AI :D)

KaosSoul
06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
keep up the good work!

Plaga
06-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Bonus update:
- Image preloading: cards and preview images should be ready instantly after you make a pick

david707
06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Saw Briar Legion and decided to go for it, the result:
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?did=295
thats good, right?

Erebus
06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Creator Cryptozoic Entertainment about 1 hour ago

Greg: They're gone. Try refereshing/emptying cache. =)

Clint: We love promoting community content. We want to let everyone know about all the cool things people are doing out there. Thanks for the HEXDraft link. I'll link that next week.

You have one week. Better make the best of it. :D

incitfulmonk21
06-21-2013, 09:26 PM
well earned I love the draft simulator and adding AI will make me a happy panda.

theeliminator
06-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Saw Briar Legion and decided to go for it, the result:
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?did=295
thats good, right?

Did you really get 12 Briar Legion through out the draft? just seems crazy.

Avignon
06-22-2013, 01:44 AM
Did you really get 12 Briar Legion through out the draft? just seems crazy.

When you remove half the card pool you double the chance of seeing some cards. Add to that, the AI is picking randomly, meaning its just as likely to pick a bomb as to picking the worst card in the deck. I think when the game is live it will be possible, albeit uncommon to get 4 or 5 of these.

Plaga
06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Argh, too much things to do, too little time...
But this is great, thanks!

Punk
06-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Ah, this is lovely! I was wondering when somebody would create one. I'll be spending days on this.

Same. I didn't think even a rough draft would be out this soon.

Good work.

DanTheMeek
06-22-2013, 04:08 PM
I've got nothing to add others haven't already said but I feel compelled to post anyway and say that this is an AWESOME resource/tool you've created and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making and making it available. Already having a blast with it and learning a lot. For instance, I find I'm almost never drafting any rares, despite them being passed to me constantly, which kind of worries me for when I draft for real (please or please let there be a keep what you open draft mode). So many of the core cards I really want are commons and so many of the rares are cards I either wouldn't want at all in draft (cards that you need to run 4 of or none at all) or would rather hope they wheeled back to me (which almost certainly won't happen in an actual draft with rare drafters abounding).

Gwaer
06-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Some friends and I were joking that if you keep progressing this tool as quickly as it has been you're going to accidentally create hex before the alpha begins, and then no one will play the actual game =(

Plaga
06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Some friends and I were joking that if you keep progressing this tool as quickly as it has been you're going to accidentally create hex before the alpha begins, and then no one will play the actual game =(
Wouldn't it be nice? :P
Not the case here, but If Cory offers me a job I'll gladly go help them!

Punk
06-22-2013, 04:36 PM
EDIT: Figured it out. Ignore this post.

Ramshackal
06-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Creator Cryptozoic Entertainment about 1 hour ago

Greg: They're gone. Try refereshing/emptying cache. =)

Clint: We love promoting community content. We want to let everyone know about all the cool things people are doing out there. Thanks for the HEXDraft link. I'll link that next week.

Just came here to post this! I'm actually the one who linked it in the comments (I didn't even know if they'd read it, let alone respond!) Sorry to put the pressure on you Plaga haha I just knew people who watched that draft video would love to use your tool, as I did.

funktion
06-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Another great feature would be to add the ability to share your random seed for the draft with others, or be able to go back and repeat the same seed.

Plaga
06-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Another great feature would be to add the ability to share your random seed for the draft with others, or be able to go back and repeat the same seed.
Yeah, that's on the TO DO list, I may even do it today.
But first I'm focusing on making a lot of internal changes, the original code was a mess.

Gwaer
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
How about being able to draft against 8 other individuals... Then play your cards out against them. Then make the cards know what they're doing... Then we can play hex!

Plaga
06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
How about being able to draft against 8 other individuals... Then play your cards out against them. Then make the cards know what they're doing... Then we can play hex!The ETA for all that is late august/early september :P

IndigoShade
06-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Promotional cards are considered rares for now, until we have more info about his real rarity.

I just wanted to add that in this video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jqNJfr_9U) you can see both the original art and rarity of Pack Raptor (legendary (wtf?)) and Replicator's Gambit (rare).

jestersmind
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
The things that people are suggesting are awesome... but let's be honest, this is the best thing we could have asked for right now. Plaga, you are a role model for those who wish to be awesome. thanks a lot for all the work you did for us as a community.

hammer
06-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to add that in this video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jqNJfr_9U) you can see both the original art and rarity of Pack Raptor (legendary (wtf?)) and Replicator's Gambit (rare).

Sweet thanks for posting this - I haven't seen this video before ! pretty cool with the original arts :-)

Plaga
06-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah, that's on the TO DO list, I may even do it today.
Aaaand it's done.
Once you complete the draft you will see a "Repeat this draft" link next to the "Click here to build your deck" one.
Also the data is now being pulled directly from HexDM, so any new card added there will be immediately available in the Draft Simulator.
The promotional cards are not included for now (so we are down to 154 cards).
IŽve rewritten A LOT of the code, let me know if you see any bug.

Gwaer
06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
This should never be on a page greater than 2.

Yoss
06-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Rather than random picks, just have the AI draft left to right, top to bottom. Since you sort them by rarity this will lead to AI drafting rares before uncommons before commons.

Oh, and of course, this is great work, thanks!

ChampionVital
06-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Cool !
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?s=27,28,29,53,61,62,82,95,108,114,131,160 ,161,193,211&qt=2,2,2,2,1,4,5,9,1,1,2,3,2,1,3

Alequel
06-26-2013, 08:02 AM
It is quite fun to play around actually, well done.

Rycajo
06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Cool !
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?s=27,28,29,53,61,62,82,95,108,114,131,160 ,161,193,211&qt=2,2,2,2,1,4,5,9,1,1,2,3,2,1,3

You may want to rethink your 9 resources in that deck. Even a low cost deck should have about 16 resources. With only 9 resources you would likely have to be more than 14 turns in before you would have 5 resources to play your 5 cost cards.

Hope this helps.

incitfulmonk21
06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Cool !

5 savage raiders I guess I know one card you can take out for more resources :)

the_artic_one
06-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Rather than random picks, just have the AI draft left to right, top to bottom. Since you sort them by rarity this will lead to AI drafting rares before uncommons before commons.

Oh, and of course, this is great work, thanks!
IMO the best simple AI would be something like:

Draft the rare from the first pack and pick that as your first color, then attempt to draft the rarest card of your color from each pack.
If there are no cards of your color pick a second color, from then on draft the rarest card of either of your colors.
If there are neither of your colors in a pack, draft the rarest card.

Not ideal but would probably make it more useful for practice.

Rycajo
06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
5 savage raiders I guess I know one card you can take out for more resources :)

When building a draft deck the player may include as many copies of a card as they were able to draft. If the deck is meant to be super fast, 5 savage raiders is not a bad idea.

Skirovik
06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Really good tool.

Thanks heaps for this Plaga! :D

funktion
06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
IMO the best simple AI would be something like...

Rarity very rarely corresponds with quality when it comes to draft. I'm already helping out in what ways I can with plaga & kemical to work on the AI... speaking of which I've spent my whole day off playing civ 5,,, time to work on the simulator and another video i think : P

Yoss
06-26-2013, 06:14 PM
IMO the best simple AI would be something like:

Draft the rare from the first pack and pick that as your first color, then attempt to draft the rarest card of your color from each pack.
If there are no cards of your color pick a second color, from then on draft the rarest card of either of your colors.
If there are neither of your colors in a pack, draft the rarest card.

Not ideal but would probably make it more useful for practice.
That's significantly more complicated than my suggestion, but yes, it would be more realistic.

DarkLegionSlayer
06-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Is it possible, once you draft, be able to add the resource cards and make a "deck" then have the ability to see an opening hand? Not sure how far you can take it since hex isn't even out yet. Just an idea.

Yoss
06-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Is it possible, once you draft, be able to add the resource cards and make a "deck" then have the ability to see an opening hand? Not sure how far you can take it since hex isn't even out yet. Just an idea.
This is already implemented.

Rycajo
06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
This is already implemented.

After completing the draft a link will pop up above where the cards were displayed (or below if drafting on the Hex DB website). This allows you to make a deck within the Hex Data Mine interface. Very handy and will be so useful as AI and more cards are revealed.

Modicai
06-26-2013, 08:09 PM
There are any number of ways you could weight an algorithm to help AI move away from randomly picking cards.

Initial cards the AI picks could be based on the most often picked cards that players are picking.
Then as it moves deeper into the pick count, it prioritizes colors of what it has already picked.

Obviously there are still things wrong doing it that way, I would say its better than random though.
Just a thought.

Yoss
06-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Picking left to right, top to bottom would be SOOOO easy to implement and would prevent the idiocy of leaving mythics lying around.

Badger
06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
The easiest way is to simply rank every card in the set. It doesn't have to be an exact science, but Urunaaz should be close to the top and heal 7 should be pretty close to the bottom.
Then each pick should just take the highest ranked card.
It doesn't matter that the other 7 decks wouldn't be legal, all that matters is that when the pack comes back to you you are getting the 9th best card.

Yoss
06-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Ranking every card is easiest? And then coding the logic to draft them in order is easiest? Please tell me you're joking. Just the rankings would take hours and hours.

I mean, sure, that's better once it's done, but certainly not easier than just left-right-top-down. LRTD can be done in like 1 line of code (OK maybe 3 if you count the "For" and "End" lines for the control loop) with no card rankings, no if statements or lookup tables, etc.

Badger
06-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Well in terms of coming up with a pick system that somehow mirrors real play, then yes, it's pretty easy.
Picking order of rarity is the same as random selection. Neither have a real bearing on how players will draft properly.

The list doesn't have to be scientific, wouldn't take a magic player too long to rank.

As for the code, yeah, might be 30 mins to mock something up.

Plaga
06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Just a quick update for now: I already have a test version with code ready to implement AI, and the rare-drafter code is ready and working. We've been collecting info on card picks for a week now, and a member of this forum has already provided a ranking system for all the cards. The only thing missing here is me having free time to put it all together.
I expect to have something worth showing before the weekend.

Chiany
06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Just a quick update for now: I already have a test version with code ready to implement AI, and the rare-drafter code is ready and working. We've been collecting info on card picks for a week now, and a member of this forum has already provided a ranking system for all the cards. The only thing missing here is me having free time to put it all together.

Awesome, loving it more and more.

Thanks so much.

incitfulmonk21
06-27-2013, 11:52 AM

hopefully before the update friday ;)

Plaga
06-27-2013, 12:51 PM
hopefully before the update friday ;)
That's the idea :P

Yoss
06-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Did you say the rare-drafter is already there? It's not showing up for me, I'm still seeing legendaries in the 4th or 5th pack.

Plaga
06-27-2013, 01:20 PM
I meant I have the code ready, is not pushed to the live site yet. Belive me, having rare drafters or rare drafters + randoms is even worse than having just random pickers.

Plaga
06-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Secret update and time to go to sleep, let me know what you think of it.
If you see anything strange or just wanna be sure you aren't running an outdated version, ctrl+f5.

Badger
06-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Going really well man. Nice work. I think there must be way more Blood cards spoiled so far than the other colours. Also, I got a 4th pick vampire king, that guy should be way higher in the rankings.

funktion
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Hadn't tried using it in a couple days... This is looking WAY better!

theeliminator
06-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Going really well man. Nice work. I think there must be way more Blood cards spoiled so far than the other colours. Also, I got a 4th pick vampire king, that guy should be way higher in the rankings.

Colorless at 46
Blood at 44
Wild and Diamond both at 39
Ruby at 36
and Sapphire with the least at 26

KaosSoul
06-27-2013, 09:53 PM
its damn glorious =p

Skirovik
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Just made myself a Blood/Wild Shin'hare deck with sacrificial bonuses and 3x Call the Grave.

Quite fun. Highly doubt it's a competitive deck, even in draft (since I don't really know what I'm doing) but it was fun to think of the possibilities.

Badger
06-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm liking call the grave with the Moss tree dudes. Picking up 4 guys makes them pretty big, especially with recursion

Plaga
06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
That's odd, Vampire king has the highest rating and should be a first pick. Right now there's a 5% chance for a bot to spawn as a a random picker, but having 3 of them in line next to you is near impossible, 0,0125%. Are you sure you weren't running a cached version? Did you see a loading icon before the draft? I'll look into it anyway.

SeaOfInsanity
06-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Considering I have never drafted in my life this should be good practice to a point.

Jarric
06-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Nice work on the AI. I am sure you plan on resetting the "accumulated data" on picks once the whole set is revealed. I still find myself going for the same decks atm... this tool makes for some very interesting research.

Badger
06-27-2013, 11:58 PM
That's odd, Vampire king has the highest rating and should be a first pick. Right now there's a 5% chance for a bot to spawn as a a random picker, but having 3 of them in line next to you is near impossible, 0,0125%. Are you sure you weren't running a cached version? Did you see a loading icon before the draft? I'll look into it anyway.

Tried it after reading your updates - seemed to be working well.
Don't lose sleep over it :)

Plaga
06-28-2013, 01:32 PM
"The website http://hexdraft.co.nf is temporarily suspended due to overtraffic"
Hmmm...

Hemlock
06-28-2013, 01:54 PM
That's what you get for being linked in the Kickstarter update :P

hammer
06-28-2013, 03:22 PM
How unfortunate - the shout out crashed the site with high traffic

Lazybum
06-28-2013, 04:54 PM
How unfortunate - the shout out crashed the site with high traffic

lol

KaosSoul
06-28-2013, 05:14 PM
time to move to another server cause it wont get better anytime soon =D

Plaga
06-29-2013, 02:10 AM
time to move to another server cause it wont get better anytime soon =D
I know :(

Plaga
06-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Ok guys, new url: http://www.hexdraft.com/
I'm really sorry for the downtime :(

Madican
06-29-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm learning just how much I suck at drafting since I fail at predicting cards.

"Okay, here's a great Ruby Human rare with Inspire, let's go for more humans, though I may have to splash di--"

ORCS
ORCS
ORCS
ORCS
ORCS
ORCS

Plaga
07-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi again guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a really busy week. There's a new version up and running, the major updates are:
- New sorting features: you can hide specific shards, and sort the list by pick order or shard color&cost
- Clicking in the card no longer can result in moving the image instead of registering as a pick
- The page should load faster

Also, you can follow the Draft Simulator in Twitter (https://twitter.com/HexDraft)and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HexDraft)to keep track of updates and news of the Draft Simulator.

Improvements to the AI are in the works, and also a panel to show what the AI players got once you finish the draft (you can have a sneak peak of what's to come executing a postDraft() in the console).

Happy Drafting!

Plaga
07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
3 weeks later, another update, but this time is a BIG one:

Major AI revamp, now there's 3 AIs, the old ranking one and 2 versions of one based on user picks. Color is now taken into account by all the AIs. The rare and random drafters are gone.
New hints system
The cards missing from the booster when it's passed to you are hidden by default, there's an option to make them visible again
New info panel when you finish the draft, showing the players and links to create your deck, draft again or try it again with the same cards
Old code & browser cache won't cause problems anymore
Page should load faster now

There's been a lot of changes since the last update, feedback is really appreciated, particularly regarding the AI and the colors.
I know the glow does some funky things when you click on the hint buttons and there's a card already being highlighted, I'll fix it tomorrow.

Enjoy!

felmare
07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
you are amazing plaga tyvm

self1sch
07-29-2013, 02:58 AM
:@

very well done and nice update!!

Plaga
07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Hint glowing won't do strange things anymore.
Let me know if you experience lower performance while a card is glowing (mobile & very old PCs only)

Plaga
07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Double click option functional (Touch screen devices will be able to see card previews with the first click)
Forced start after 15 seconds of loading

Nlarge
07-31-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't know if this is just me but every time I finish a draft and go to build the deck it opens up the new page and freezes, if I go to the other tab where I was drafting that page is frozen also.

CoS
07-31-2013, 07:52 PM
I've been using this on my iPhone5 and it has been flawless. Thank You!

Halfmind
08-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Hex Lackey can be used for booster drafting with eight players, and you can play afterwards!

Plaga
08-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't know if this is just me but every time I finish a draft and go to build the deck it opens up the new page and freezes, if I go to the other tab where I was drafting that page is frozen also.First time I hear about this. Is really strange, since there's no javascript being executed once the draft is finished. What browser and OS are you using?
Also it happens only when clicking the build deck button or clicking on [this link] (http://www.hex-datamine.com/deck.php?dc=20,22,28,33,35,37,61,76,88,113,129,131 ,143,160,161,163,184,194,195,199,200,207,270,271&dqt=2,1,1,1,3,1,1,1,1,2,5,4,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,3,1,1,8, 1) causes your browser to freeze too?

EDIT: Nevermind, now is happening to me too. It seems the problem is in hexDM's side.

Plaga
08-03-2013, 10:19 AM
New update today. Watching HexTCG Pro stream I realized the new "double click" mode was misleading. It's now renamed to "Touch mode", and added a proper double click mode. Double click (the new one) is now the default. You can change the input mode with a dropdown menu in the controls.
I've also changed the default sorting of your picked cards to shard & cost. You can go back to pick order in the selectors menu.
Minor fixes and visual improvements (the big cards now cast a shadow :P).

Rycajo
08-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Awesome as always Plaga. Thank you.

locust
08-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Can you fix the blurry images?

also, awesome work i spend A LOT of time in the draft simulator. i love it.

Plaga
08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Can you fix the blurry images?
Nope, I can't, sorry. The images are directly pulled from HexDM, for example (there may be other blurry cards):
http://www.hex-datamine.com/card.php?c=167
http://www.hex-datamine.com/card.php?c=193
http://www.hex-datamine.com/card.php?c=194
http://www.hex-datamine.com/card.php?c=195

As soon as they are fixed there, they will be fixed in the simulator. But AFAIK there's no high res shots of these cards

tilde
08-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Thanks for making the draft program Plaga. I'm impressed with how well it runs. What is it written in?

Plaga
08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for making the draft program Plaga. I'm impressed with how well it runs. What is it written in?
Thanks ^^
It's mostly Javascript, with jquery to ease things up.
There are also a few PHP lines server-side, but they are there as a quick fix and could be easily replaced with javascript

Plaga
08-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Small update today:
«Repeat draft» is working again
Configuration of the simulator is now persistent. ( Saved options: hide picked cards, double/single click or touch mode and ordering the listed cards by cost or by pick order)

hammer
08-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Journeyman Technician is still showing up in the drafts.

hitchslap88
08-11-2013, 12:00 PM
It's there a new card update on the way?

Plaga
08-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Journeyman Technician is still showing up in the drafts.

It's there a new card update on the way?
There's no card database in the simulator, all the data comes directly from http://www.hex-datamine.com/.
I think they added some cards today, but I had no time to check if there's something missing or not updated yet.

Norious
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I don't know if this has been reported, but I routinely use Opera as my main browser, the draft simulator just spins when I try it using it. Firefox and Chrome work fine though

Icepick
08-21-2013, 03:21 AM
I get that too with Opera, though if I go via it's main site - http://www.hexdraft.com/ - it works just fine.

Plaga
08-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Yep, something seems to be wrong with jquery, Opera and the iframe. I'll look into it.
Thanks for the warning, Norius.

Plaga
08-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Fixed! I was right, it was a jquery bug.
Can anyone tell me if http://www.hex-datamine.com/draftsim.php loads with IE now?

Madican
08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Ended one draft having pulled seven Briar Legion and I think five Glimmerglen Witch, plus an assortment of 1 cost Shin'hare.

Then it made me sad it wasn't a real draft because seriously seven 9/9 creatures for 3 cost is amazing in draft.

bwarner
08-22-2013, 02:06 PM
This is a great tool, thanks for creating it! As someone new to drafting, it would be cool if there was a way to post your seed and get feedback from others on your results, or have them try it out themselves. It's hard to tell whether I'm doing a good job without being able to play the deck to find out. The last draft I tried started out with Rampaging Tarasque in the first pack. I decided to commit to going mono-Ruby, and ended up with this (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?s=26,29,30,61,62,79,80,95,105,113,160,282 ,283&qt=1,3,1,2,2,1,1,14,2,3,2,2,6)

Norious
08-22-2013, 06:29 PM
awesome job - working well

Plaga
08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
This is a great tool, thanks for creating it! As someone new to drafting, it would be cool if there was a way to post your seed and get feedback from others on your results, or have them try it out themselves. It's hard to tell whether I'm doing a good job without being able to play the deck to find out. The last draft I tried started out with Rampaging Tarasque in the first pack. I decided to commit to going mono-Ruby, and ended up with this (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php?s=26,29,30,61,62,79,80,95,105,113,160,282 ,283&qt=1,3,1,2,2,1,1,14,2,3,2,2,6)
You are welcome ^^
About your request, there's a way to do that. When you finish the draft you see 3 big buttons, the 3rd one is «Repeat Draft». The seed is encoded in the url of the new tab/window. For example: http://hexdraft.com/?bc=222,64,4,28,162,220,211,118,27,200,161,130,210 ,33,119,214,64,207,71,115,273,193,160,119,35,167,2 21,198,15,14,133,218,282,121,65,163,219,200,211,13 1,194,22,193,161,82,21,85,149,195,198,35,82,119,66 ,27,23,130,14,11,20,209,282,126,3,211,162,127,130, 27,82,270,113,118,22,20,214,201,142,206,160,167,28 3,62,18,220,200,20,221,131,162,76,3,195,165,22,113 ,211,280,119,273,219,115,33,127,281,87,140,3,53,19 4,161,65,270,237,211,273,130,129,220,221,191,124,1 50,285,23,112,280,130,160,194,199,281,14,234,233,9 1,178,181,142,131,82,15,286,199,210,160,113,29,61, 22,269,116,150,265,61,115,194,286,131,132,29,233,1 1,208,35,262,4,276,285,160,212,119,18,143,164,270, 66,11,132,131,134,37,25,265,221,200,18,270,161,129 ,143,29,131,82,118,214,79,197,277,15,281,105,131,2 80,33,234,14,66,163,273,114,275,2,206,18,65,160,13 2,23,66,193,198,61,194,211,232,265,206,282,211,20, 198,120,163,127,66,35,119,200,221,151,274,34,140,1 20,131,199,221,234,166,164,62,129,15,281,182,9,142 ,25,210,27,280,33,131,199,23,160,143,194,14,185,9, 63,28,198,129,62,23,160,221,162,194,82,29,132,155, 12,116,181,29,220,119,115,193,118,280,208,127,164, 281,21,201,32,24,20,281,61,280,160,164,220,208,14, 270,15,180,267,54,277,115,119,22,14,234,29,237,163 ,127,194,35,192,12,267,24,131,212,162,273,166,194, 286,105,61,129,193,36,267,142,2,20,131,33,118,127, 82,211,237,143,15,200
You can share this url with anyone and the boosters will be the same (but the AI types will be random, and even if they weren't, the AI uses the collected data of the drafts, so they change over time)

Madican
08-23-2013, 01:03 PM
The AI needs to stop snatching my Briar Legions when they notice I'm going for Wild.

Norious
08-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Is there a way to test the draft you pick like your other drafts (the initial draw pick)

Plaga
08-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Is there a way to test the draft you pick like your other drafts (the initial draw pick)You mean play the same draft but starting in another position? Currently there's no easy way to do that. If you really need to do it, you can change manually the order of the seed of the repeat draft url.

BenAndrion
10-01-2013, 12:39 PM
so I didn't read through the 17 pages of comments, but what I have noticed after going through 4 hours of drafting is that the AI tends to pick up way too many of a single card. I am not kidding, the draft I have open now this one AI drafted 6 murders. to me that seems a little unrealistic, even with Murder being premium removal, at drafting more than 4 of a single copy of card.

Rycajo
10-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm more amazed that a single player was able to get 6 copies of such a card. I think many, many players would be quite happy to pick up 6 Murders if able. In draft, a player is able to play any card they draft; there is no 4 per card limit.

Plaga
10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
so I didn't read through the 17 pages of comments, but what I have noticed after going through 4 hours of drafting is that the AI tends to pick up way too many of a single card. I am not kidding, the draft I have open now this one AI drafted 6 murders. to me that seems a little unrealistic, even with Murder being premium removal, at drafting more than 4 of a single copy of card.
Yes, you are right. It's been on my to-do list for some time.
I think the problem is that the AI is doing way less hate drafting than it should. I'll look into it.

malloc31
10-24-2013, 06:44 AM
I used to love using the draft sim, it's a great app, thanks for making it. Any chance the new spoiled cards will be added in any time?

praesidium
12-12-2013, 05:45 AM
If you could make this work between 8 people we could start making amateur draft tournaments ingame.