PDA

View Full Version : Carte is closing

Slish
06-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Sad to hear this.
Anyone else knew the game Carte?

It was dead for a while already (too few players).

I never understood why. I was basically a slimmed down Hex.
And an improved Magic the gathering online.

It had the same seriousness as Hex and Magic. It had a better interface than MtG. It had some PvE as well (raidbosses). I played it a bit in the beginning during open Beta, about 2 years ago. I liked it alot. But had to stop playing due to being busy irl.
When I came back the playerbase died already..

http://en.forum.gamescampus.eu/showthread.php?1807-Important-Information-Shutdown-of-all-services

Khazrakh
06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Carte in fact had quite a lot of problems. I did play it for a while and really enjoyed it, but there where too many things not really thought through.

- The game lacked any means of trading, so you got a lot less out of every booster you bought.

- After a while there was almost no progress on the F2P side, you HAD to spend money if you wanted to get new boosters.

- You could do nothing with the boosters but rip them open, just to find you got no card what so ever that you wanted to run in any of your decks.

- There was no Draft, no Limited, no real tournaments or anything.

- Everybody always played their constructed decks so after a while you kept facing guys with really crazy decks you just couldn't beat.

I could go on with that for quite a while, but it should be enough to give you an idea of what went wrong.

nandus
06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I never imagined I would feel sad for learning that a game, which I've never played or even heard about, is closing ... These guys seemed to have great ideas, it's sad to see their dream go away.

Fireblast
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
They made a bad business model, which HEX didn't.

~

ButtPuncher
06-19-2013, 08:45 AM
If by bad business model you mean had absolutely zero advertisement than you're right. The only way to have found the game was to look for it.

Fireblast
06-19-2013, 08:50 AM
If by bad business model you mean had absolutely zero advertisement than you're right. The only way to have found the game was to look for it.

Overpriced boosters, no trading

~

Slish
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Carte in fact had quite a lot of problems. I did play it for a while and really enjoyed it, but there where too many things not really thought through.

- The game lacked any means of trading, so you got a lot less out of every booster you bought.

- After a while there was almost no progress on the F2P side, you HAD to spend money if you wanted to get new boosters.

- You could do nothing with the boosters but rip them open, just to find you got no card what so ever that you wanted to run in any of your decks.

- Everybody always played their constructed decks so after a while you kept facing guys with really crazy decks you just couldn't beat.

I could go on with that for quite a while, but it should be enough to give you an idea of what went wrong.

Hmmm yes, if what you say is true, and I suppose it is. Then I can understand it indeed.
I already knew there was not much trading, but since I played so early on and I heard it would be implemented I never really noticed it.

The core game itself, the cards and mechanics were pretty fun.

But yeah, dumb marketing and business model yes..

Shadowelf
06-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Never played Carte but i've played Duel of champions that pretty much follows the same play model and i can see why this game failed.

cavench
06-19-2013, 09:02 AM
I never heard of the game but I have couple questions.

1. How much are boosters?
2. Since there is almost no trading, does that mean the cards have no value?

Edit: I'm asking because I have been wondering if a TCG can succeed when cards has no value.

MrCwis
06-19-2013, 09:58 AM
I never heard of the game but I have couple questions.

1. How much are boosters?
2. Since there is almost no trading, does that mean the cards have no value?

Edit: I'm asking because I have been wondering if a TCG can succeed when cards has no value.

If there is no trading then by definition it's not a TCG. It sounds like it was just luck to open a pack with the cards you wanted in it, and this would make a lot of people not want to invest money. Imagine how many packs you would need to buy to get a playset of legendaries in MtG, it wouldn't be worth the investment, since there is no way to get rid of everything that you don't want.

ButtPuncher
06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, Shadow Era doesn't have trading so the cards have "no value" and it's a success by all financial measures. If I recall correctly Heroes of Norrath has no trading and it wasn't a total flop. Heroes of Might & Magic doesn't have trading and it's doing pretty well. I don't think the trading aspect is what gives cards "value" though that's more of a semantics argument. Anything you're willing to invest in has value.

I think what caused Carte to crash is that it was neither advertised well nor compelling for seasoned CCG players. Since the only people who could find it were people looking for a CCG and that crowd had more thought out options I don't see why anyone would stick around. The "freemium" model has nothing to do with that.

IndigoShade
06-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I just heard about this game a couple of weeks ago on this forum and looked it up as something to pass the time until HEX and the English client gave an error every time I tried to play it and I couldn't even give them money since the link to buy was dead. I suppose I'm fortunate that I was unable to spend a few dollars on it just to have it shut down weeks later, but it's a shame I didn't even get to check it out. I actually really liked some of the card art, maybe even more than HEX's.

Slish
06-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Yeah the card art was really good. :)