PDA

View Full Version : Latest JtH Video - Super Drafting 101

jaxsonbateman
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey everyone,

First off, I want to say a big thankyou to the community for helping me reach 100 subscribers. It's an honor to be producing fan content in such a wonderful community, and I look forward to doing it for a long time to come!

With that being said, here is my latest video, and I feel it's one of my best works yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkgxG27NZ4

In this one I tackle a subject which is seemingly quite popular - draft strategy! As it is my first video on the subject I've started with the basics - what drafting is in Hex, and some basic strategy to doing well in it. If you've never drafted before, or even if you have - swing by, take a look, and examine the strategies on offer. As a bonus, there's a pick selection scenario at the end, where I ultimately opt for a troop over a removal spell. Gasp! So even if you have no interest in watching the draft strategies, perhaps you'd like to find out why I engaged in such madness. :-P

incitfulmonk21
06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
great video man. I was also torn between blinding and boulder but picked blinding because I didn't know my other color I would be in.
THIS IS A MUST WATCH IF YOU ARE NEW TO DRAFTING.

I was a bit confused and texting sorry :( when you said to add 1 to sapphire threshold but not blood.

I assume its because you had two cards being threshold intensive in sapphire and only one in blood?

jaxsonbateman
06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
When working out the ratio of your resources, the tactic I've always used (in general deckbuilding which extends to limited) is to count up the number of threshold symbols on each card. However, to account for 'intensive' cards - cards that have a threshold requirement more than half their mana cost, so the Thunderbird and the Void Leach Phantasm - I add an additional threshold on.

Essentially, it's to give that color extra 'weight' when it comes to the final ratio, as you require more of those sources to play them on turn.

Like, as an example, say I had two Thunderbirds (2 cost, 2 saph thresh), 3 Oracle Songs (3 cost, 1 saph thresh), a Master Beast Rider (3 cost, 1 wild thresh), 2 Sensei of the Milky Eye (2 cost, 1 wild thresh) and 2 Wild Growth (1 cost, 1 wild thresh).

When counting up symbols, there are 2x2 + 3x1 for saph, and 1 + 2x1 + 2x1 for wild. I'd then add 2 to Saph - 1 for each Thunderbird, as they have threshold greater than half their cost. I should mention that I wouldn't add any extra threshold for a 1 cost card with one threshold, as although that does fit the rule it's not intensive at all. So the threshold ratio comes out as 9 saph to 5 wild, or 64% saph to 36% wild. So if I were rocking 10 lands in this oddly sized deck, I'd go 6 sapphire sources to 4 wild sources, to make up the threshold heaviness of the Thunderbirds.

Not using my system you'd get around 50/50 - which is fair, but you'll then see yourself run a higher risk of getting mana screwed on the intensive Thunderbirds.

As for Blinding Light vs Boulder Brute - it was a tough pick. Blinding Light is definitely removal, but it usually requires combat to do anything, and requires that you have a big enough creature to be able to get some value out of it. Still, it can get some card advantage depending on board state, though it isn't overly likely. Typically, I'm happy to run one in a diamond deck (judging from my experience with Safe Passage, the same card from Magic), but usually don't want 2+ due to it being conditional, though I'm happy to have on in the sideboard.

Perhaps I cheated a bit and relied on a bit of my Magic knowledge, but I also know that Safe Passage/Blinding Light will probably table (that is, not get picked up on the first pass around) in following packs. That is to say, if you actually want it it's not uncommon to get it in pack 2 or 3 (though Hex set 1 will have ~110 more cards than a Magic core set). But in any case - I'll always comfortably run more Boulder Brutes if I'm in wild, but I won't always comfortably run more Blinding Light, so that's what tipped the odds for me.

Having said that, I wouldn't consider Blinding Light to be a wrong choice either. Could even make an argument for Atrophy, though that card requires so much effort to be more than just an expensive card draw. Also, just remembering that Blinding Light is uncommon compared to Safe Passage's common, so tabling would be less frequent in Hex. Experience with set 1 drafting could definitely lead to me picking differently down the track, that's for sure.

Bailin
06-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Great job on this one Jax. Sound quality is much better and really well scripted dialogue. I'll be forwarding quite a few people to this video to reaffirm many of the strategies I've been helping them with. The information is solid and exceptionally well laid out from a teaching perspective. Keep up the great work and look forward to more.

Guap
06-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Enjoyed the video Jax look forward to more.

Gorgol
06-19-2013, 03:19 PM
This video is amazingly helpful!

ramseytheory
06-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Excellent video! Now if only it weren't another two months until I could actually begin drafting. I'm starting to twitch already...

Carlgood2seeu
06-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Great video, Jax. It really is a must read for people, even if you have some experience drafting. Yay, I learned stuff!

fitzle
06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
I am learning a lot from you creative Youtube Generals! Thanks for this!

Ju66ernaut
06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the video Jax. It was all I could do to not fire it up while I was at the office earlier X-)

Miwa
06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Nice work. Would it be appropriate to start using "shard" instead of "color" when speaking about Hex?

jaxsonbateman
06-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the support everyone; blown away at how well this one has been received!

Is the community starting to move towards the term shards for the different colors? I'm totally fine with it; it just reminds me of the shards of Alara in Magic. :-P

DanTheMeek
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
While I've watched all of your videos so far, this was the one that finally convinced me to subscribe. While most of it was stuff I already knew, it was a good referesher as its been years since I've entered a draft tournament, and it was very professionally done and well laid out. I don't really have anything truly negative to say, most of my disagreements with things you said are based on opinion, such as that I prefer this version of BREAD:

Bombs - Same

Removal - Same

Evasive/Efficient - Same but if there's no cards with evasion you then go after cards that don't necessarily have as high of combo potential but are very efficient for their cost (thus efficient). An example is a 3 for 3/3 with no effect, you'd rarely want to run that in constructed where you can probably find 3 for 2/1 with a great effect that helps you're theme, but in drafts you tend to have a less cohesive theme so cards that just give you a lot of raw bang for their buck all on their own, such as said 3/3, become more desirable.

Advantage/Aggressive - Advantage refers to any card that results in either you having more cards then you did before you played it, or you having the same and you're opponent having less. This is where you'd take a card like Oracle song or Sensei of the Milky Eye, who despite being 1/1 for 2 with no evasion or game winning potential, is effectively a +1 to card advantage since you draw a card but he remains in play under you're control. Aggressive refers to the fact that in drafts troops are generally more valuable then actions, at least compared to constructed, as you're usually going to win via troops attacking, not some action based combo. As such if you're down to this late stage of the BREAD and you have to choose between a troop and a action and neither are that great, go aggressive and take the troop.

Denial/Dregs - This is Denial and Anything combined. If you've followed BREAD and you've reached this point that mean's there's nothing left that's really great for you, so if there's something that would really help you're opponents out you take that just to deny them having it, if not you just try to take something that in a pinch could serve as a filler or side board card.

Again though, good stuff, look forward to your future videos.

Qorsair
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
While I've watched all of your videos so far, this was the one that finally convinced me to subscribe.

Same here. Great video, Jax!

RedAntler
06-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Nice one! I'm subscribed ;)

Chiany
06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Very good video, especially for newcomers to TCGs and/or drafts.

Keep it up!!

vallerius
06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Jax your videos are awesome. Keep them coming! I'm glad there is so much community-created content even with so little that we know about the game and with how few cards have been spoiled. It gives me more stuff to drool over until September. It's going to be a long few months.

BlindMan
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Great video. I especially liked the strategic discussion about when to commit to specific shards/colors during a draft. I hadn't given it a lot of thought before, being new to drafting, and I'm definitely thinking about it now.

Erebus
06-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks again Jaxson, showed this to my guildmates, and it really helped out those that are new to TCGs in general.

jaxsonbateman
06-20-2013, 12:56 AM
While I've watched all of your videos so far, this was the one that finally convinced me to subscribe. While most of it was stuff I already knew, it was a good referesher as its been years since I've entered a draft tournament, and it was very professionally done and well laid out. I don't really have anything truly negative to say, most of my disagreements with things you said are based on opinion, such as that I prefer this version of BREAD:

Snip
Thanks for the feedback - I'm a believer that almost any position should be challenged in order to bring the best ideas forward. :-)

I'm going to agree that I feel efficiently costed troops come just after evasive ones, and depending on how much the evasive troop gives up can even come before them (the whole quality overpowering BREAD side of things), but I've always just included that under the header of anything.

I don't think we necessarily have different thoughts when it comes to A/Anything, I'm just not a fan of explicitly saying that you should grab an aggressive troop, or grab some card advantage. Most draft decks will want either, or both, but there are some exceptions like someone who manages to draft the control deck and wants a weak troop with a giant butt (high def), or someone who grabs a hyper aggressive draft deck and doesn't want to slow themselves down by playing a CA card that won't affect the board or put on immediate pressure. Basically, I agree, but I'm more comfortable telling people to look at their deck first before deciding what they need most - but perhaps I can touch on it again in the next one, seeing as they'll frequently want the efficiently costed troops and card advantage cards.

Sort of agree on the last one - personally, I put potential sideboard cards under the header of 'anything' when I think about them.

Basically, I feel like we more or less agree in our priority of card selection, we just look at BREAD in a different way. :-P

Andreij
06-20-2013, 02:20 AM
Really helpful. Thanks Jax!

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 03:02 AM
I've only been reading articles not watching videos since I read so fast this was the first video I watched and even tho it covered a bit of ground I've read it was very helpful in cementing things in my mind (I should have remembered that learning in multiple formats/media tends to be more effective) and I liked your version of BREAD better than the others I've seen. Great stuff. Subscribed. Definitely am going to need a lot of practice.

Justin

funktion
06-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Nice work. Would it be appropriate to start using "shard" instead of "color" when speaking about Hex?

Just browsing through threads, but I would use shards in reference to the cost, and threshold in reference to the color.

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 03:58 AM
Just browsing through threads, but I would use shards in reference to the cost, and threshold in reference to the color.

"What thresholds are you playing?" sounds a little funny to me compared to "what colors..." "what shards..." but that's just me. It also seems odd to use shards for cost and threshold for color when threshold directly refers to cost, moreso than shards. Again just me and I'm sure I'm overthinking it like usual, heh. No one can really decide what people use, so just use what you like and hope it catches on.

Justin

Vithe
06-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Subscribed to your channel bro, great video. I look forward to seeing more!

PowderedToastMan
06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Very helpfull to a guy who is still pretty new to the drafting concept!

A+ keep up the good work and Thank You.

jaxsonbateman
06-21-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm going to give this a shameless bump to get it back on the first page. :-P

Thanks for the kudos folks, glad a lot of people have found it useful!

On another note, Funktion just released the second video of his drafting series, which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML2ZeVQeaD4

hex_colin
06-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Nice video, Jax!

hex_colin
06-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Related...

Anyone done the analysis yet of putting all of the cards in a given shard in their respective B-R-E-A-D bucket(s) ["baskets" ;)], and then stack ranking them within the buckets? Probably useful to do it within a shard, and across shards too.

Grissnap
06-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Nice video as always Jax. Everytime I see your sig after listening to your videos, the words "Clever girl..." keep popping into my head.

I just had to share that.

jaxsonbateman
06-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Related...

Anyone done the analysis yet of putting all of the cards in a given shard in their respective B-R-E-A-D bucket(s) ["baskets" ;)], and then stack ranking them within the buckets? Probably useful to do it within a shard, and across shards too.
I hadn't thought of that - that has potential, so thanks Colin! I may do that, but what I like to do after a spoiler comes out is to go through each color/shard and rank the cards of various rarities, primarily so you can see what the stronger overall commons/uncommons are in each, and what's best avoided.

lordjuzam
06-21-2013, 02:09 AM
Best video I've seen so far on hex! Great content