PDA

View Full Version : What brought you here?

JaimeLannister
06-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Or: what brought you to the kickstarter page?

I played Magic/MTGO some years ago and read then about Scrolls in many forums. So I started playing it, but there were/are some points which bother me. Then I remembered - in this forums/threads some people wrote "hex will be better", "x and y is better in hex" and so on.. so i just googled and yeah, now im here :D
Sadly, I missed the KS, but whatever

So at all it was just a big accident that I came here, when other people wouldn't wrote about this game, I'd never know about his existence :D

How did you come to it?

sorry for the terrible english :D

Barkam
06-20-2013, 02:03 AM
nicosharp told me about the game. I thought he was crazy for spending $500. I am also a Grand King pledger now...

jaxsonbateman
06-20-2013, 02:07 AM
My brother told me about the Kickstarter and the game. Needless to say, I was convinced to the tune of a triple pledge and $750 (though was unfortunately too late for my preferred tiers, Grand King and Pro Player). I've never been so excited about a game before, which is amazing seeing as it hasn't even come out yet. I just hope I can fit a fair amount of playtime into my schedule later this year. :-D

Gen91
06-20-2013, 02:07 AM
I honestly can't remember, how I got to the KS page of Hex.
I can just remember, that I was bored at that moment,
so I decided to watch the KS video by Cory,
because the video was funny enough I decided to give it a try and read the whole KS page.

And cause this game is so similar to MTG I was directly hooked.

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 02:39 AM
My friend emailed the kickstarter page to me the day before it ended. Ironically I was trying to get a distributor for magic cards for my comic shop at the time (what a nightmare that's turned out to be). I was into magic briefly back in '94 or '95 but didn't have anyone to play with. I guess TCG's were in my destiny the day I got the email. Being a huge fan of MMO design and always having loved the concept of deck building I saw the potential of this hybrid genre and fell in love with the idea.

Justin

DisOrd3r
06-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Well, Kickstarter is my second home (213 projects backed and going strong)
so it wasn't hard to find it ;)

Fireblast
06-20-2013, 03:01 AM
Facebook notification on KS day 1 :)

Glad I played WoWTCG!

~

Oaka23
06-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Penny Arcade

Athravan
06-20-2013, 03:38 AM
I found out about it through posts on another forum I read (MMO-Champion), and then managed to get 5 of my friends to pledge too :D

RanaDunes
06-20-2013, 03:38 AM
I check Kickstarter at least once a week for new projects that might interest me and that's how I found Hex.

FranzVonG
06-20-2013, 03:39 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-ZRD5Mnv/0/950x10000/i-ZRD5Mnv-950x10000.jpg

yes, I think this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/05/10/malefactor)brought quite a few of us here

Callahan420
06-20-2013, 03:58 AM
Found Hex on KS when looking for new games to back. From KS to here.

snarvid
06-20-2013, 04:30 AM
A video on the front page of a tiny independent game review site called IGN.

Willzyx
06-20-2013, 04:47 AM
yes, I think this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/05/10/malefactor)brought quite a few of us here

*nods*

Diesbudt
06-20-2013, 04:54 AM
I honestly forget how I heard about the kickstarter page...

Punk
06-20-2013, 04:54 AM
I know a couple Cryptozoic employees in RL who are excited about this game. Nuff said.

Khazrakh
06-20-2013, 04:55 AM
The post on MMO-Champion brought me here. Never been to Kickstarter before.
I saw the gameplay video and just thought "okay, that's what you've been waiting for all those years!"

dumbelldave
06-20-2013, 05:32 AM
I found the KS looking at new games to back lucky i found it within the first few days before it even hit 200k i think. I was like ok i had to compromise the 60 bucks. Im like ehh its like paying for a full game, a week later i went back to the KS and got into comments and was checking it out, so i upped my teir to 120 and im like oh ok that is all i can do. Next week i talked my self into GK and I have no regrets cant wait to play.

Malicus
06-20-2013, 06:02 AM
I got here through PA too but the Comic/News post wasn't quite enough since I didn't fully understand what it was and didn't click through. I did however sign up to Kickstarter to back the PA DLC podcast and from there clicked through PA's backed projects and saw Hex and immediately knew this was the game I wanted to play. Backed at king immediately and progressively upped my pledge over the next 3 days to a place I am only slightly uncomfortable sharing with those outside the community :P.

I am hoping this game will be amazing, I feel like I would have gotten into MtG:O but it didn't start when I had the money for it and this has what I want out of something like magic and more + I have money and I am in at the start so its a perfect combination of circumstance.

Now if only it was September already but I don't want to hibernate since I am afraid of Beavers.

Banquetto
06-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Blogger I follow wrote a post about Hex (http://inanage.com/2013/05/13/hex/). Sounded interesting, even though it was far from 100% positive. I looked at some of the stuff from CZE. Sounded even more interesting. Opened my wallet and issued the immortal command "shut up and take my money!"

jai151
06-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Read the post on MMO-champ. Long story short, my WoW account is now cancelled and I'm trying to find travel arrangements to Indianapolis =P

Diesbudt
06-20-2013, 06:35 AM
Read the post on MMO-champ. Long story short, my WoW account is now cancelled and I'm trying to find travel arrangements to Indianapolis =P

Me too... I just cant choose. Walk, ride a bike or drive. I mean it is 20 miles from me. :p

jai151
06-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Me too... I just cant choose. Walk, ride a bike or drive. I mean it is 20 miles from me. :p

Yeah, anything but a plane and I'm looking at 20 hours of travel time...

Badmoonz
06-20-2013, 07:18 AM
On the SolForge forum, someone was unhappy with their lack of updates and pointed to Hex as a model.

DreamPuppet
06-20-2013, 09:47 AM
I watched a scrolls video on YouTube and someone left a comment about how scrolls looked crappy and that HEX was going to be awesome. That guy ended up costing me $750 when i checked out the KS page.

Jinxies
06-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Angry Joe brought me here xD

self1sch
06-20-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm subscribed to IGN on youtube and someday this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1aIydVQ8pc) popped up on my feed, where cory talks about the game. I thought: "Well that's ok, but it's like every other dTCG I guess...".

2 days later I remembered the game somehow and watched the hilarious KS video.
Then I got aware of the amazing rewards and stretch goals CZE offers for backers and I also discovered this great community. I waited until the very last day, because I couldn't decide if I really should spend so much money on a tcg.

But I did and no regrets so far :)

Xintia
06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I read a blog post about Card Hunter, signed up for their beta, and followed some "bread crumbs" to a preview of Hex. I had heard about it previously but dismissed it mostly because WotC's implementation of M:TGO left such a bad taste in my mouth. I was part of that beta over a decade ago. But now I wish I had jumped on this during the Kickstarter. Oh well... Slacker Backer FTW. :D

sckolar
06-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Well, when I was younger I played Yugioh, and LOVED it. Words cannot describe my addiction to to in the past. In later years I started getting into World Of Warcraft and other MMOs. I later subscribed to Angry Joe's Youtube channel, and just a week or two ago he brought up HEX, and described it as a mixture of TCG and MMO, which is the combination of two things I love, and BAM! that brought me to the kickstarter, and HEX has been my study since then. I found that other players had more knowledge of the game (which bothered me) so I decided I can get information from the forums. Tada, here I am.

Athravan
06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
The post on MMO-Champion brought me here. Never been to Kickstarter before.
I saw the gameplay video and just thought "okay, that's what you've been waiting for all those years!"

Good to see more MMOC guys here :D

Ju66ernaut
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
When I was in 7th grade, the other boys played MTG at church. I was always jealous, but didn't want to admit I didn't know how to play/wanted to learn....Now I shall learn to play, and crush them all!!

jai151
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
When I was in 7th grade, the other boys played MTG at church. I was always jealous, but didn't want to admit I didn't know how to play/wanted to learn....Now I shall learn to play, and crush them all!!

Funny, I had a friend as a kid whose folks were total churchies. One of our mutual friends had to hide his Magic collection for him because his parents found him playing once and burned the cards he had as tools of the devil.

nicosharp
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
A video from a Warcraft 3 youtube caster I watch: Crota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqimuLpzTf4

I used to play the WoWTCG from CZE, but haven't been around their website for 2 or so years.

majin
06-20-2013, 11:53 AM
A video on the front page of a tiny independent game review site called IGN.

same

Jotora
06-20-2013, 11:54 AM
I saw an ad for it on the Cryptozoic website, or maybe it was mentioned in a BoardGameGeek news article.

I can't remember anymore, but it had to be one of those two things.

IndigoShade
06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
I registered on KS to back Camelot Unchained (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained) last month and right after it hit it's goal they posted a thank you to Cryptozoic for backing their project along with a link to HEX. So I foolishly clicked the link, obviously, and proceeded to spend 4x as much on HEX as I did on Camelot Unchained :rolleyes:

Banquetto
06-20-2013, 02:45 PM
funny, i had a friend as a kid whose folks were total churchies. One of our mutual friends had to hide his magic collection for him because his parents found him playing once and burned the cards he had as tools of the devil.

omg tarot cards!

Prism
06-20-2013, 04:21 PM
I saw a link to the kickstarter on reddit's shoutbox in the mtg channel. The value of the kickstarter and it's massive popularity almost guaranteeing success made me jump on board. The cheaper drafts even without the kickstarter value package would probably be enough. This game is pretty much mtg but with more powerful cards, a pve/duels of the planeswalkers side built in, and more affordability.

Shadowelf
06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I was actively playing Might & Magic-Duel of champions at the time, until somebody mentioned of hex at their forums. Thank god this was just 3 days after the project had launched, checked it and backed GK right away. Having played wow tcg for years, and given the fact that this game looks so much like mtg, also helped me decide fast whether i wanted to join or not

whythelastman
06-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Saw someone post the KS on my Facebook feed. Glad to have seen it then, even though GK and PP were all gone :)

PetyrBaelish
06-20-2013, 04:31 PM
AngryJoe showed me this sweet game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I played MTG and YU-GI-OH when I was in high school looking forward to playing HEX too bad the pro player teir was sold out so I settled for king

Mushroom_C1oud
06-20-2013, 05:27 PM
I was picking up a hooker that couldn't stop talking about the game, so I checked it out.

Stok3d
06-20-2013, 07:11 PM

EXACTLY this. see you in Indy :)

Zarien
06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
As soon as penny arcade made a news post and comic saying they backed the project I checked out the game, because typically their advice is rock solid. I wasn't dissapointed and am very very happy they informed me of the project.

DRawsm
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
"high five" for the angry army
also jo got me here and im glad he did

ZeroCool
06-20-2013, 09:16 PM
The promise of punch and pie.

fitzle
06-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Oddly I was searching kickstarter with the intent to back a game that I thought would be worth backing. This one came up! I've always had a weak spot for CCGs and the idea behind this game was too good to not back. I got very enthused the minute I saw Cory donate a kidney to back this project!