PDA

View Full Version : Dissappointed with Lack of Updates

EdwardBishop
06-20-2013, 02:13 AM
As per the title, I just have to say that I'm disappointed with the lack of updates post-kickstarter... has there been any announcement on this about when we might expect regular updates exactly? Am I the only one concerned by this fact?

During the kickstarter we were being spoiled by getting updates every day, and I'm not asking for them every day as such, but now we're getting them only once a week or less?

While I can appreciate that the team is busy at work preparing Hex for the promised alpha access for backers and such, surely someone on the team can afford some time to give us an update once every few days or so, no?

Thoughts?

lordjuzam
06-20-2013, 02:16 AM
They said they would have weekly updates every Friday. So tomorrow :)

Apparition
CZE is not a huge company from my understanding. While a lot of people would like more updates, I don't think it's a big concern. It's only June and Alpha isn't supposed to start until August or September. If August comes around with few updates, worry about it then.

That said, if CZE would like to hire me as community manager, consider it done!

Fireblast
They were busy with :
- Pledges finalization (Paypal)
- WoWTCG's NACC
- E3
- Discussions with European's translator
- whatever else we don't know about

~

EdwardBishop
06-20-2013, 02:19 AM
CZE is not a huge company from my understanding. While a lot of people would like more updates, I don't think it's a big concern. It's only June and Alpha isn't supposed to start until August or September. If August comes around with few updates, worry about it then.

That said, if CZE would like to hire me as community manager, consider it done!

Yeah that is curious... while they're not a huge company, even small game companies have community managers... do they not have one yet?

I also admit I've been spoiled as a MTG player by WotC's Daily Magic updates on their website, and I realize Cryptozoic can't go that far at the moment yet, but is more than once a week really asking too much?

My idea would be to, in addition to the big Friday update they've committed to, have a basic, simple Monday update saying something like "here's what we're going to try to focus on this week" to let us know how it's going... Even if that's just a little auto-email newsletter to kickstarter backers.

Chiany
06-20-2013, 02:20 AM
as posted by others, after the KS there will be a update once a week (on Friday).

Let's be patient, and let them work on the game, instead of (imho) useless updates (like the one from last week).

funktion
06-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Just curious here, what would satisfy you? Daily, twice a week? Weekly (cause right now we're getting weekly)?

You realize there's still at least 50 or so days till alpha. Doing a daily update soaks up a lot of development time which isn't directly related to the game especially when they have a small staff. At this point I'd say hiring another 2-3 people and building up the community team probably seems reasonable considering the kickstarter etc. It's only going to make them more in the long run.

With that said though, they need to be ready to really hype the game come sept. that means having backlogged articles etc. Each one they put out this week means they need to make that many more when the time comes. There's only so much content you can put out before it starts getting stale especially when the game has awhile until it's out.

We're all excited about the game, it's hard being patient, we're all biting our nails. On the bright side there's a ton of outside people working on fan sites and content. You should check out hextcgpro... their site is pretty well put together I'd say.

EdwardBishop
06-20-2013, 02:25 AM
as posted by others, after the KS there will be a update once a week (on Friday).

Let's be patient, and let them work on the game, instead of (imho) useless updates (like the one from last week).

Yeah I guess part of my issue, they shouldn't be 'useless' (in your opinion and others I'm sure) updates, but instead more like "This is what's going on at the moment here at Cryptozoic" so we know how development is coming along...

Just curious here, what would satisfy you? Daily, twice a week? Weekly (cause right now we're getting weekly)?

In a reply above, I say, twice a week... the current Friday update and a Monday "This Week in Development" would be nice...

Also, you do have a good point about ~content~ updates getting stale, which is why I say the updates I really want to see should have a more "This Week in Development" feel to it...

Fireblast
06-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Updates and development time have nothing in common.
Updates have been posted by 2 people :
- Will is probably working on getting art for set2/3 - PvE - New Cities
- Cory is busy advertising the game and taking all the decisions

Now I'm hoping that once the set 1 is they'll have some of their pro-players testers do daily previews (Screenshot + 10 lines of text is enough!)

~

Fireblast
06-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Yeah I guess part of my issue, they shouldn't be 'useless' (in your opinion and others I'm sure) updates, but instead more like "This is what's going on at the moment here at Cryptozoic" so we know how development is coming along...

In a reply above, I say, twice a week... the current Friday update and a Monday "This Week in Development" would be nice...

Also, you do have a good point about ~content~ updates getting stale, which is why I say the updates I really want to see should have a more "This Week in Development" feel to it...

They don't work on weekends, and if they have to do it's to meet deadlines, not to post updates.

Friday and Monday is like Tuesday and Wednesday... not the most relevant combination.

~

katkillad
06-20-2013, 03:20 AM
This was the most updated Kickstarter, I think you are acting entitled and once a week updates are more than reasonable.

FranzVonG
06-20-2013, 03:33 AM
While I agree that, for the time being, one update per week is enough (but please, real updates), I seriously hope that there are plans to have a complete and professional coverage after launch; I've looked at the WoW home page, and seems that they publish something every day: this should be the same for Hex.

Regarding the comments "let them work instead of writing updates", this is something I read quite often on forums of games under development, and while there's some truth behind it, it's not how companies actually work. No matter who signs them, articles and updates are usually written and prepared by the communications dept., and only validated by the actual "expert". I'm not sure how CZE is structured, but I suppose they have at least 1-2 marketing and comms guys or gals... If not, I can leave my company tomorrow and join you, just let me know! :D

Athravan
06-20-2013, 03:37 AM
People today are so desperate for information - one of the downsides of the digital age, people now expect information at a crazy rapid fire rate. Weekly updates are crazy for a game in pre-alpha, and that's not enough for people. Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when we got a teaser in a magazine a year in advance and then had to wait until it hit the shelves. Patience... how much is there really to say on a daily basis right now.

Drakkerne
06-20-2013, 05:00 AM
Patience although hard can only be a virtue at this point.

None of us really knew about this game til a couple of months ago (although a few did im sure) and we have been spoilt with a massive inside look at what they are creating, how they are going about it etc. We in turn have rewarding them by saying
"Shut up and take our money"

This is the shutting up part, which can only get this highly anticipated game to our hands faster.

Its in all of our best interests to let them finish it quicker, i for one am happy with a weekly touch base ;)

Mahes
06-20-2013, 05:34 AM
They were busy at the G8 conference. Takes a lot to make a game and rule the world.

BenAndrion
06-20-2013, 06:05 AM
My buddy is in a small band. each member works 2 jobs to help support equipment and living costs (among many other things. they all have girlfriends, one a wife and child.
you know what is crazy? each day after work they get online and answer questions from their fans, talking to people who have questions, and posting things to the community.
I understand that this is quite the undertaking, and I want this game to be amazing just as much as the team has been putting their lives in this thing. But to say it would be too much for the devos to take 20 minutes out of their day to cruze over the forums and try to answer questions or interact with us.....
In honesty, that would be more beneficial than a daily update on what they did each day.
So many questions have been raised, and all we can do is speculate and come up with more questions. We come up with so many ideas as a group (and I know, I haven't posted that much so the "we" is more like the "you" hahaha). It would be nice to have these devos come and have just a little time to BS with some people on the forums and maybe add some input and take some of the ideas you all have given them (see, didn't use the we there lol. I swear, I am not taking credit for you all lol)
again. not hours and hours. just 20-30 minutes would mean a lot

ossuary
06-20-2013, 06:09 AM
People today are so desperate for information - one of the downsides of the digital age, people now expect information at a crazy rapid fire rate. Weekly updates are crazy for a game in pre-alpha, and that's not enough for people. Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when we got a teaser in a magazine a year in advance and then had to wait until it hit the shelves. Patience... how much is there really to say on a daily basis right now.

Word up, brother. Sometimes we only knew a game was coming out because we went in to Toys R Us and saw it on the shelf. ;)

Dralon
06-20-2013, 06:16 AM
But to say it would be too much for the devos to take 20 minutes out of their day to cruze over the forums and try to answer questions or interact with us.....
In honesty, that would be more beneficial than a daily update on what they did each day.

Once a week at this stage is fine, no matter how "desperate" we all are for more info.

Game developers aren't forum moderators, or community managers. It only takes a dev making one small slight misstatement while "cruising" by the forums to ignite a firestorm that they would be better off not dealing with. - See Cory's statement about dungeon crawler tier rewards, working on raids, discussions of the t-shirt with promo cards, etc. It's best at this time for the developers to develop. When we are closer to launch I would expect people who are dedicated PR people/community managers to come on board.

negativeZer0
06-20-2013, 06:25 AM
I just want card spoilers (note the use of the word want and not need, I am quite happy with a weekly update). No article just one new card spoiled per day (weekends could be ignored). It would take them all of 15 minutes to pick out 5 cards for the week. This gives them a daily "update" they can put on the site that will give people a reason to stop by every day without creating the amount of work an actual article takes. One card can actually generate a lot of discussion without CZE needing to do anything else.

bizznach
06-20-2013, 06:30 AM
when magic came out ain't no one had a computer for daily updates.
some magazines came out about MtG and tcgs in general some time like a year or 2 after magic was already out.
once a week is more than fine with me.
go to other fan sites and pretend its CZE writing the articles.

Shadowelf
06-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Thursdays' 'lack of updates' thread. Eagerly awaiting the new 'missed KS' thread

theophanya
06-20-2013, 06:43 AM
I just want card spoilers (note the use of the word want and not need, I am quite happy with a weekly update). No article just one new card spoiled per day (weekends could be ignored). It would take them all of 15 minutes to pick out 5 cards for the week. This gives them a daily "update" they can put on the site that will give people a reason to stop by every day without creating the amount of work an actual article takes. One card can actually generate a lot of discussion without CZE needing to do anything else.

That!

EdwardBishop
07-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Update: since my OP I discovered that Cryptozoic is still putting out post-campaign updates for kickstarter backers, which I can appreciate, but I still think the public would be served by more content here along the lines of "This week in development..."

Shadowelf
07-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Update: since my OP I discovered that Cryptozoic is still putting out post-campaign updates for kickstarter backers, which I can appreciate, but I still think the public would be served by more content here along the lines of "This week in development..."

They are still posting updates on a weekly basis and there was an interview with Cory last Saturday. You can watch it here : http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26320. Also new card spoiler mid week here http://www.pcgamesn.com/hex-preview-brilliant-new-collectible-card-game-mmo. There are also tens of fansites posting articles, some of them on daily basis; check fansite news for more info

nearlysober
07-20-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: kickstarter updates

It's essentially the same Friday update that they post on hextcg.com. But since it is written a little differently I read both. Those updates are public. You can read them every Friday even if you're not a backer.

Nicalapegus
07-20-2013, 10:02 AM
If you think there's not enough updates then that simply means you're excited for the game. That's a good thing. I'm right there with ya buddy! But personally, a weekly update is nice. Until it releases MWS/Skyrim will keep me busy :P.

Unhurtable
07-21-2013, 01:20 AM
I'd rather have them work on the game to be honest. One update per week seems to be enough, since they have revealed most of the game already (in terms of how the game will be played / how PvE will work). As I'm fine with how much they have revealed, I'd rather have them finish what they started so I can play earlier :)

Zarien
07-21-2013, 05:21 AM
I'd rather have them work on the game to be honest. One update per week seems to be enough, since they have revealed most of the game already (in terms of how the game will be played / how PvE will work). As I'm fine with how much they have revealed, I'd rather have them finish what they started so I can play earlier :)

^this. As long as I get my weekly update fix, i'm happy-ish. I obviously would want more, but thats just my obsession speaking. I understand they are super super busy, and I would much rather they work on the game and get it out to us quicker then receive a couple updates and then it come out later because of the waste of time.

Avedecus
07-21-2013, 11:35 AM
"This week in development..."

I hope they reply to you with a hundred pages of nigh unreadable coding.

Demar_Black
07-21-2013, 01:45 PM
I think they want to put out content the right way post launch.

Right now there could still be major changes to how they do things, not to mention how certain cards work, which keywords will be relevant at launch, etc.

Post launch I think a few updates a week would be nice, but I don't expect them to have MTG's budget off the bat.

keroko
07-21-2013, 02:34 PM
every day i get hungry but kind of remember
I haven't really starved in some time. :)

http://youtu.be/uBVkk5rW0lw

human art was nice this week, shoulder epaulets on the sapphire magi
well designed and fits well with the ropes.
reminds of scientologist chains on staff uniform.

a friend once went for a test thingy,
they had odd towers of books,
in what amounted to a holding waiting area.

anyhow... once a week is enough isn't it,
to let the mind wander around and back to it.

chomp all day on warpstone
and you'll end up with a sore belly.

ConnorJS
07-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Right now there's no point in them updating us because we know what they're doing, making the game and planning for events. They spoil a few cards each week and give us something new to look at each week which is plenty really.