PDA

View Full Version : Tournament PvE

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Have they ever talked about or do you think they'll ever have tournament like PvE? Something like you compete in a dungeon for speed, or other possibilities for combo or control decks. Maybe a series of dungeons to see who has the "most balanced deck" by competing in challenges that favor agro, combo and control-just an example. Or the goal could be to lose the least life, or play the most or fewest cards. Or just complete whatever the challenge is with all sorts of metrics to determine scoring.

Those are just off the top of my head, there could be an incredible variety to this, team/multiplayer competition, puzzle like competition (figure out how to defeat the challenge and build the right deck for it), even PvE designed especially for tournaments. And that's still just scratching the surface.

Sorry if this has already been announced/talked about a lot, it just came to me and seemed like an interesting possibility. Even if has been announced anybody have interesting ideas they could implement?

Justin

Facilier
06-20-2013, 03:56 AM
I don't think completing a dungeon for speed tournaments would be particularly good in a card game setting, where which starting hand you draw can easily determine how quickly you can dispatch your enemy.

Plus it would somehow imply that fast damage decks are somehow better than control decks with a longer game plan, which isn't great for a game that always wants to showcase the broad variety of options to keep people coming back.

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 04:03 AM
The speed idea was just a quick example to give people an idea, I knew people might bring up agro/control, I should have removed it. The point is there are a lot of very varied possibilities. I'm more interested in other people's ideas, especially PvE designed specifically for tournaments than my bad examples. :)

snarvid
06-20-2013, 04:35 AM
To my knowledge it has not been mentioned. However the idea is present in the games DNA and they've at least considered it.

http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 05:41 AM
To my knowledge it has not been mentioned. However the idea is present in the games DNA and they've at least considered it.

http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/

How is it done in DNA? Don't think I've heard of that game...

snarvid
06-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Sorry. On iPhone. Or you are trolling me for being unclear, which I did leave myself open to and don't mind.

The game's (that is, Hex's) DNA. People writing articles for this game have already talked about tournament PVE, therefore CZE already has thought about it.

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Sorry. On iPhone. Or you are trolling me for being unclear, which I did leave myself open to and don't mind.

The game's (that is, Hex's) DNA. People writing articles for this game have already talked about tournament PVE, therefore CZE already has thought about it.

Oh, sorry, that interpretation didn't even occur to me, sounded like you were saying the feature was in another game and I'm used to reading acronyms I don't know. Makes perfect sense in retrospect. Since its in the game's DNA, I hope they think of some good ways to implement it (still would like to hear some speculation), hope they create some good phenotypes to torture the metaphor.

ConnorJS
06-20-2013, 06:36 AM
If it can happen then it probably will, competitive PvE is something that is guaranteed (CZE would be stupid not to include it). However I think the prizes will all be PvE oriented. I assume that there will be highscores for things like most damage done in a turn, least life lost in a dungeon kind of thing. I hope there will be competetive PvE, however I doubt there will be any in Beta/at launch. We can only hope :).

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 07:12 AM
If it can happen then it probably will, competitive PvE is something that is guaranteed (CZE would be stupid not to include it). However I think the prizes will all be PvE oriented. I assume that there will be highscores for things like most damage done in a turn, least life lost in a dungeon kind of thing. I hope there will be competetive PvE, however I doubt there will be any in Beta/at launch. We can only hope :).

Definitely wouldn't expect for launch, they have to give us what's already promised and wouldn't want it delayed for this. After launch it will be really interesting to see what they add.

What I really want is non combat activities based on common MMO features but done with unique decks and mechanics-I think this could draw in more play styles and almost be a whole new type of game. Other people don't seem interested though so not sure if anything like this will ever happen.

Justin

Grumph
06-20-2013, 07:39 AM
It's also mentioned in the raid leader's buff, it only applies to "non-tournament PVE content"