PDA

View Full Version : Awesome looking game, but

Phoenixfire
06-20-2013, 04:15 AM
I found the game on a forums showing some online tcg's

I have been looking for a high end TCG with player vs player and tournaments.

I would love to give this game a go since it has everything im looking for and more.

That said I cannot come close to affording 50 usd.

I am a adult but on a extremely tight budget.

I was wondering if maybe the company would offer a lower tier beta access plan?

maybe something with less perks and packs in the range of 10-15 usd.

If they did that I would be all over it.

I know the kick-starter was cheap but as everyone knows a lot of people miss that kind of offer for one reason or another, and sadly find out after its too late.

lordjuzam
06-20-2013, 04:19 AM
You can always apply for the beta for free. It's not guaranteed, but worth a shot. At worst you will have to wait a couple of months more, but luckily the game seems that it will be very playable on low or no budget, at least for the pve side and probably casual pvp as well.

mainstager
06-20-2013, 04:31 AM
Fortunately for you, the game is Free to Play! With PvP being a pay-as-you-go model, you don't have to plunk down large amounts of cash to get started on that side of the game.

Look forward to seeing you ingame :)

Athravan
06-20-2013, 04:34 AM
I don't think they'll lower the tier for guaranteed access; but it's possible that you'll get in for free if they open up applications in closed beta; and most games also have an open beta towards the end, especially for stress testing, so even if you don't get the guaranteed - you still have a chance for getting in for "free", just not in the alpha.

Banquetto
06-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I found the game on a forums showing some online tcg's

I have been looking for a high end TCG with player vs player and tournaments.

I would love to give this game a go since it has everything im looking for and more.

That said I cannot come close to affording 50 usd.

I am a adult but on a extremely tight budget.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but if you are looking for a high-end TCG with PvP and tournaments, but are on an extremely tight budget, I suspect that you might be disappointed. This is not really a cheap hobby at the high end.

keroko
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
the great thing is that there's multiple levels of what one might consider 'high end'. Depends what you like to build.

However, competitive pvp (esp if IRL cash prizes involved) will drive valued card prices up in the secondary market. You could try to compete with a 40USD card by buying 20x boosters (and honestly you'd likely be better to from the fun perspective) but you are highly unlikely to pull your specific desired rares/legendaries.

One cuts according to available cloth - not because you want to, because you must.

Tiuvath
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
they said that KS backers will likely get beta-keys to give to friends. In that case you just have to ask in a HEX-related forum and I am sure someone will hook you up once beta is running
(Note: nobody will have such keys until beta begins)

Shadowelf
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
You either apply for beta as others have already mentioned, or wait till launch to play for free. You will be given a starter, so u will be able to start right away and build from there

Fireblast
06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but if you are looking for a high-end TCG with PvP and tournaments, but are on an extremely tight budget, I suspect that you might be disappointed. This is not really a cheap hobby at the high end.

+1

You'll most likely have to stick to PvE.

~

baggymacaw
06-20-2013, 05:33 PM
PVE aint a bad thing at all. give it a try.

Deathfog
06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
At worst this is slightly less than half as expensive as MtG on the retail side of things to play. Everything is roughly set to 50% of the standard costs there.

Shivdaddy
06-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Your exactly right Banquetto. Want you want contradicts what you have. It makes no sense. I doubt your "an adult." Between what you want and the format of your post, no biggie though. Just thought it was weird you pointed that out.

CylnFerrt
06-20-2013, 06:04 PM
If Cryptozoic lets KS backers have some friend keys for alpha/beta, you can have mine.

Zzasikar
06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
If you have a lot of time but not a lot of money due to whatever reasons (illness, various commitments, being a bum etc.) I think it may well be possible to trade up to the higher tier decks for free using PvE drops. Time consuming, but free.

Not many TCGs can boast that.

DjiN
06-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't mind if CZE makes also a cheap 20$ package with just 1 starter 5 boosters and beta access.

Beastmaster
06-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Wouldn't mind if CZE makes also a cheap 20$ package with just 1 starter 5 boosters and beta access.

It certainly would align with what Cory said about a large player base being more important than money at this stage and wouldnt change the value of the current slacker backer.

It just seems like it would be cool if there was a cheaper option to access beta for layers interested in the F2P PvE - but then maybe there will not be enough PvE in Beta anyway and that would actually put off people just interested PVE - maybe that is why they only have a $50 option (which seems more suited for PVP players used to paying for TCGs like MTG)

Grimthorn
06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
They might want to control the # of people in Alpha and Beta as well. They could want to keep it under say 30k people so that they can ramp up servers as necessary and get a good idea of what their load capacity is and how/when they will need to add servers.

In addition they may want to keep it as an exclusive reward for those early backers.

jgsugden
06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Join a guild. I'm betting that some guild members will be willing to trade you 50 to 60 uncommons and commons for a bad rare - and may just give you free uncommons and commons.

Rapkannibale
06-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Well it really depends. You can draft twice a month for the price of a wow subscription and that is assuming you never win any packs. Drafting in general is a great and affordable way to build your collection while having fun and learning the game. :)

Slish
06-22-2013, 02:24 PM
they said that KS backers will likely get beta-keys to give to friends.

Source? Is this true? Would be nice yes.

Shadowelf
06-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Source? Is this true? Would be nice yes.

I doubt it includes all KS backers since at KS a beta invite was $10. If that's true then it was meant for those with the GM tier

Banquetto
06-22-2013, 03:45 PM
It just seems like it would be cool if there was a cheaper option to access beta for layers interested in the F2P PvE - but then maybe there will not be enough PvE in Beta anyway and that would actually put off people just interested PVE - maybe that is why they only have a $50 option (which seems more suited for PVP players used to paying for TCGs like MTG)

I also really wouldn't be surprised if they felt they had enough beta testers already, with nearly 18,000 Kickstarter backers + PayPal backers + slackerbackers.

majin
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
they said that KS backers will likely get beta-keys to give to friends.

not true - proof http://awesomescreenshot.com/0311fix7a2