PDA

View Full Version : The (far) future of hex

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 04:59 AM
No one may find this interesting except me, but oh well.

Hex is obviously only meant to be a digital TCG. But I was thinking with the rate of technological advance (singularity ftw) and using digital paper among other technologies what may be possible. A card with a chip in it, the ability to change its appearance and communicate with every other card could handle most things hex currently does.

The tricK is addong cards to the deck. You could just be alerted when this is necessary but that's kind of lame. Or just play with a bunch of extra cards to handle this, if not used you have a bunch of blank cards at the bottom of your deck-also not that cool. What would be best is if one card could actually split in to two and each card increases in thickness so some cards aren't thinner than others. Sounds impossible but with how fast things move I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible much faster than anyone expects.

It would be cool to have a hex deck-that could be any deck you own with a word (or thought) and be able to play in the real world.

Eventually there may be cards that are completely impossible to play in physical space. In that case yoiu may have to resort to VR (see other thread). This both adds and detracts from the "cool factor" but has the advantage of being possible now.

Justin

Diesbudt
06-20-2013, 05:02 AM
No one may find this interesting except me, but oh well.

Hex is obviously only meant to be a digital TCG. But I was thinking with the rate of technological advance (singularity ftw) and using digital paper among other technologies what may be possible. A card with a chip in it, the ability to change its appearance and communicate with every other card could handle most things hex currently does.

The tricK is addong cards to the deck. You could just be alerted when this is necessary but that's kind of lame. Or just play with a bunch of extra cards to handle this, if not used you have a bunch of blank cards at the bottom of your deck-also not that cool. What would be best is if one card could actually split in to two and each card increases in thickness so some cards aren't thinner than others. Sounds impossible but with how fast things move I wouldn't be surprised if this is possible much faster than anyone expects.

It would be cool to have a hex deck-that could be any deck you own with a word (or thought) and be able to play in the real world.

Eventually there may be cards that are completely impossible to play in physical space. In that case yoiu may have to resort to VR (see other thread). This both adds and detracts from the "cool factor" but has the advantage of being possible now.

Justin

Having cards on "digital" paper, would be expensive as hell. And the card game also runs on % chance and cards that Randomly take ANY card in the game and have it go somewhere (Chest O hex, etc.). Cannot really do that even with RL TCG. No matter how digitally the paper may seem. This game requires a lot of things that can only be done in a system that "does not exist in reality" only in the digital space.

jai151
06-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Forget digital paper, give me a holodeck.

Malicus
06-20-2013, 05:14 AM
was reminiscing the other night and all I really need is a power glove that has motion control - nintendo did that right but it didn't come back. So many middle aged gamers with fond memories and cash to blow, a power glove would probably do pretty well :).

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 05:28 AM
Having cards on "digital" paper, would be expensive as hell. And the card game also runs on % chance and cards that Randomly take ANY card in the game and have it go somewhere (Chest O hex, etc.). Cannot really do that even with RL TCG. No matter how digitally the paper may seem. This game requires a lot of things that can only be done in a system that "does not exist in reality" only in the digital space.

Digital paper will be expensive at first and drop in price, don't see why the % chance would be at sll a problem when each card is basically a computer and having a card go somewhere I also don't see as much of a problem.

Besides this wasn't a very serious post but a fun idea of what future tech could allow. Virtual reality hex is much more realistic, see my post on that if you want.

Justin

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 05:32 AM
was reminiscing the other night and all I really need is a power glove that has motion control - nintendo did that right but it didn't come back. So many middle aged gamers with fond memories and cash to blow, a power glove would probably do pretty well :).

Well they have cameras that can record the movements of all 10 of your fingers and use that as gestural control so you don't even need the glove now unless you want it for some type of tactile feedback.

My friends and I weren't fans of the power glove, could never seem to get it to work right. I remember when my friend bought his instead of a game I begged him not to, haha.

Justin

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 05:33 AM

Forget the holodeck, just upload me!

MrSeriousBsns
06-20-2013, 05:34 AM

+1

DoctorJoe
06-20-2013, 05:36 AM
If you insist in playing "in the meat" like a bloody savage ;) it's fairly possible today with a large touchscreen as the playing surface and a couple of tablets for hidden info like your hand and general's tent artifact triggers, etc.

Justinkp
06-20-2013, 05:44 AM
If you insist in playing "in the meat" like a bloody savage ;) it's fairly possible today with a large touchscreen as the playing surface and a couple of tablets for hidden info like your hand and general's tent artifact triggers, etc.

That does sound like an interesting way to play. I'd like to see tabletop RPGs do something similar. I have an in depth idea for an RPG app but not nearly the skill to implement it, very frustrating.

Mahes
06-20-2013, 05:49 AM

If a person has access to a holodeck and chooses to play a version of this game over the infinite possibilites of escape that such technology would provide, it would be very sad.

Nothing against this game, but I would not even think about this game with a holodeck.

ConnorJS
06-20-2013, 05:50 AM
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-4-episode-7b-card-wars

Something like this in the far future? :P

jai151
06-20-2013, 05:53 AM
If a person has access to a holodeck and chooses to play a version of this game over the infinite possibilites of escape that such technology would provide, it would be very sad.

Nothing against this game, but I would not even think about this game with a holodeck.

The beauty of a holodeck is you can do whatever you want. There are times I feel like playing a game of Monopoly, but no one is around. Why would it be sad to do what I want to do above one of the myriad of other options that I don't?

DoctorJoe
06-25-2013, 04:06 AM
That does sound like an interesting way to play. I'd like to see tabletop RPGs do something similar. I have an in depth idea for an RPG app but not nearly the skill to implement it, very frustrating.

I saw a tech demo for this at a GenCon a year or two ago, so there's at least one group working on it.

Shadowelf
06-25-2013, 04:16 AM
Wow crazy ideas...and what sounds like crazy today may be a boring reality in 10 years

ZeroCool
06-25-2013, 05:04 AM
Cory has said several times now he WILL NOT be physical copy of the game. Period.

And honestly, being able to play on your tablet there is no reason to need physical anythings. You want to play against your friend? Bring your iPads.

mainstager
06-25-2013, 05:46 AM
As much as I want you all to be able to fulfill your dreams of being Yugioh masters and battling IRL, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Diesbudt
06-25-2013, 06:01 AM
As much as I want you all to be able to fulfill your dreams of being Yugioh masters and battling IRL, I don't think it's gonna happen.

But you have to admit, playing on a grand stage like that with holo-projectors that actually show battles and playing cards like that at such intense levels in front of thousands of people wouldn't be exciting.

However I don't know about that 5d's... because driving while playing cards seems like a bad bad bad idea.

Justinkp
06-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Cory has said several times now he WILL NOT be physical copy of the game. Period.

And honestly, being able to play on your tablet there is no reason to need physical anythings. You want to play against your friend? Bring your iPads.

Wow, didn't expect to see this thread again. First of all I never expect to see any of this, it was just a fun little thread based on some technology I read about on the horizon. However Cory said there wouldn't be a physical game because of the digital game aspects which would be impossible to reproduce right now. If you could do everything you could in the digital space and the market showed that a significant percentage of the tcg population wanted to play with physical cards there's no reason they wouldn't do this if the game is popular in 10-20 years.

Still unlikely as you can get pretty much all of the advantage by using VR which is basically possible now with the Oculus Rift. If the OR takes off I expect a version of hex for it as it works with Android.

Justin

Hibbert
06-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Here's my vision of a super futuristic physical version of Hex. Each player will have his own deck of "cards". Each card will basically be a super thin tablet, wirelessly charged and networked to all the other "cards" in the player's deck and the opponents deck. I'd imagine some advanced version of color e-ink technology would be used, one robust enough to handle full time animation/video instead of the sub one second refresh it has today. Any card that changes another card would be a snap to handle.

Each one would also be able to detect changes in orientation, in addition to having voice recognition. The cards would keep track of all the rules, but at the same time they wouldn't require tedious "Do you pass priority?" outside of tournaments perhaps. Instead they would recognize the real world language we use for such things. "I'm going to want to do something on your end phase." "Wait a sec, I wanted to do something before you declared an attack, do you mind backing up?"

Drafting would be easily accomplished by just laying 15 of your "cards" down in front of you, and tapping on the card you want to draft as it comes up. It would be neat to draft with me and my friend at the kitchen table, a few other people doing the same thing across the globe, and a few other people who are stuck playing it on the old fashioned computer. Your cards go into your library as they are drafted, and once you are done, you can stack them up in piles just like you would in RL. Plus you'd have the advantage of being able to sort them just by telling them "Sort up by color" or "Sort by cost".

I think the technology for most of this isn't really too outlandish. The biggest hurdle I think is the level of miniaturization required to get everything in a form factor that would be comfortable to hold multiples of in your hand. Since a small tablet the size of a card would only really be useful for a card game, I could see the technology always being "stuck" at the phone/tablet size, and just improving their processing power.

It's fun to think about though. I'd love to be able to download a random old dead TCG and play it with a friend on my kitchen table. Plus all the rules would be taken care of, which is usually a big problem with trying out new games. Too bad I think this technology is 20-40 years out at best, and a total pipe dream at worst.

Justinkp
06-25-2013, 10:49 AM
@Hibbert
Neat, this was basically what I was thinking of but you took it a couple extra steps and thought of a bunch of things I didn't. How would your version handle created cards? That seems to be the biggest hurdle for making it work for hex.

Hibbert
06-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Maybe a "playmat" with the same display/networking as the "cards" could handle tokens. Or else you could just have a few more cards than you have in your library. If you ran out of cards for tokens, maybe tokens could start doubling up on the token cards you already have out, and you could just swipe across the card to see them all.

Justinkp
06-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Its not just tokens tho-its things like creating bombs to sabotage someone's deck, creating more copies of a particular card in your deck and probably many other things eventually. Very tricky to execute in physical space but with crazy enough tech definitely possible.

nandus
06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Skipping the obvious Holodeck FTW reference ... I think this will eventually happen and probably sooner than we think. Although for me specially, the feature is more pain than gain, as the digital global network aspect is what I enjoy the most; to reenact small stores or games with friends on a table is not my thing. After all, you can do that(games with friends in the real world) right now with a tablet and a wifi connection.