PDA

View Full Version : Something completely random

Kami
06-20-2013, 08:19 AM
So with all this talk of Hex... anybody play The Witcher series?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Giveaway/April1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17505982/Giveaway/October31.jpg

I know, I know... not the most interesting topic but I'd suspect it to die off by tomorrow afternoon anyway.

Gwaer
06-20-2013, 08:24 AM
I have not, heard good things though

houjix
06-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Same here. My friend keeps saying I should play it, but I barely have time to play the games I currently own.

Ju66ernaut
06-20-2013, 08:29 AM
I hear it's a great game, but the learning curve is pretty steep in the sequel(s).

Kami
06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Apparently The Witcher 2 is still one of the most wanted games right now according to SteamGifts. It's currently placing #6 and it's not a particularly new game either.

There are some great easter eggs in that series too. :)

Malicus
06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
yeah but most of my steam want list is filled with higher priced games I don't really want just in case I ever win the free games from the steam competitions. Staying on want lists for a long time probably just means no one ever wants it enough to buy it.

Kami
06-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I dunno. I mean, Skyrim is still way up on the wishlists.

And so far, zero entries.

Shadowelf
06-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I have played both and love them

BossHoss
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Since you put a comma I`m gonna check it out. If you didn`t I would`ve trusted your 3rd hand review!

Gwaer
06-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I know this is some sort of tricky thing kami, but I can't figure it out on my cellphone.

jai151
06-20-2013, 12:04 PM
The series was just on 75% off steam sale, which may account for the most wanted status.

jaxsonbateman
06-20-2013, 12:06 PM
I know this is some sort of tricky thing kami, but I can't figure it out on my cellphone.
I'm very curious what it ends up being. Apparently it's very easy, but I'm stumped. >.<

jai151
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I see the clue, just not sure what to do with it, heh

Kami
06-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Heh, I just posted a link to this thread in the SteamGifts forum to attract more users to check out Hex... maybe they'll figure it out. :)

Even if someone figures it out, the deadline isn't until tomorrow 3pm EDT and then it's a random draw at that point. Less people figure it out, higher chance of winning.

Since it seems not many have figured out that this is actually a game in play at the moment, it's pretty much a chance at Witcher 1 and Witcher 2. I mean, not the greatest but something to do while waiting for Hex right?

Estimated difficulty: 1.5/5 - it might be a good idea to remember that even Hex is digital and there are benefits to digital only...

Future ones will be even more difficult but you'll get better prizes too.

jai151
06-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Ah, good. I own both so I can put my sleep deprived brain back on autopilot =P

BossHoss
06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
I dunno. I mean, Skyrim is still way up on the wishlists.

And so far, zero entries.

The game is inspired by the works of Polish fantasy author Andrzej Sapkowski...
...and you have inside info on who the author for Hex is going to be?

Kami
06-20-2013, 12:19 PM
The game is inspired by the works of Polish fantasy author Andrzej Sapkowski...
...and you have inside info on who the author for Hex is going to be?

Haha, I wish. Although, there's pretty much been only one author who has actively advertised Hex on their blog.

As you can see here: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1170/Book-trailer-for-THE-RITHMATIST-and-Kickstarter-for-HEX

BossHoss
06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Haha, I wish. Although, there's pretty much been only one author who has actively advertised Hex on their blog.

As you can see here: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1170/Book-trailer-for-THE-RITHMATIST-and-Kickstarter-for-HEX

ok my real guess now... It has to do with your affinity for wolves?

Kami
06-20-2013, 12:34 PM
ok my real guess now... It has to do with your affinity for wolves?

Nope. o.o;

BossHoss
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Nope. o.o;

Then... the Witcher 3 is coming out for PS4 in 2014 and these are the teasers?

Kami
06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Haha, have fun figuring it out. At least 4+ people have solved it already. :)

As I said earlier, this is still one of the easier ones. The final one may or may not be CoD: Ghosts.

As for why I'm doing this? Well, more people looking here for giveaways means more people looking at Hex as well - even if the giveaways aren't exactly related.

Vibraxus
06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Quite an excellent game. Fun mechanic for fighting and very cool story line. I may need to dig my copy out now...lol thanks for giving me yet another time sink.

jai151
06-20-2013, 12:46 PM
CoD: Ghosts? Only fools believe in the supernatural.

quaza
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Well gosh darn I'm stumped.

Frey
06-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Going back to the topic. I just watch quite new interview from E3 about Witcher 3. Maybe not top professional interview, however worth seeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCija78ls4I
Both Witchers very good games, The third should be even better because of open world.

Gwaer
06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Going back to the topic. I just watch quite new interview from E3 about Witcher 3. Maybe not top professional interview, however worth seeing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCija78ls4I
Both Witchers very good games, The third should be even better because of open world.
Interestingly enough, that's actually off topic. =/ This whole thing is a clever ruse by Kami to drive us insane.

Frey
06-20-2013, 02:14 PM
ohh now I see. It sometimes happens if you skip 20 posts ;D

Kami
06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
This whole thing is a clever ruse by Kami to drive us insane.

Newp. :)

Gwaer
06-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Well, I have now been home for a while, I am sadly terrible at puzzles, best I can figure the filenames of the linked images are important, april1 and october31... That's exactly 7 months or 213 days apart. Changing the dates to 04 01 10 31, which looks like it could be hex code for something, I tried to converting it into all sorts of things and plugging it into the drop box it's located at. Also, messed around with the time those dates are apart, the mid point of those dates. *shrug* Even tried some binary stuff since he dropped a hint about hex being digital. I have a feeling it's something much simpler that I've just overlooked. Good luck if that helps someone =)

Callahan420
06-20-2013, 10:10 PM
I like games. Thought it was a thread about the games at first until I read some posts.

Skirovik
06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
I have no idea what's going on... :confused:

KeplerVerge
06-21-2013, 12:34 AM
hmmmmmmmm :confused: I seem to have discovered some things but am just not connecting the dots.

witcher.. trick.. or treat? costume? candy? holiday? deception? 6 months; 214 days; witching hour(12); uhhhhhhh...

Kami
06-21-2013, 05:12 AM
I like games. Thought it was a thread about the games at first until I read some posts.

It started off that way intentionally but it seemed like nobody caught on so I dropped a hint that it was more than it appeared. ^^;

As it stands, we have 16 entries for Witcher 1 and 22 entries for Witcher 2. Roughly 7 hours to go.

Dionyz
06-21-2013, 08:00 AM
April Fools and Halloween... That's about as far as I've gotten >_<

Tried inspecting elements looking for an actual link, no dice there.

Copied the images and blew them way up, looking for hidden text... no dice there.

Have tried URLs involving the dates/names of the holidays on dropbox, steamgifts, even Kami's blog...

There's obviously something I'm missing, and according to the hints, it's super obvious. Makes me feel dumb =x

Lafoote
06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Never played the games, but read the books. They're quirky but entertaining. I'd read more if they were available.

Vibraxus
06-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I just cant try to dig too much while at work. I just hope Kami releases the answer when its done. That way I can know a little bit of how the puzzles are conceived....and be ready for the next one.

Kami
06-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I just cant try to dig too much while at work. I just hope Kami releases the answer when its done. That way I can know a little bit of how the puzzles are conceived....and be ready for the next one.

I'll reveal the answer after. In the meanwhile, it's last call! Roughly 30mins. remaining.

Current Entries:

- The Witcher (16 Entries)
- The Witcher 2 (24 Entries)

Fairly decent odds atm.

Kami
06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
The giveaway has ended (and surprisingly, some person in China won both in two separate draws. o.o ).

Anyway, the solution is simple but the way I presented the puzzle had thrown even some of the puzzle veterans off the answers' scents.

As I stated in the very beginning, this is not a difficult puzzle so I suspect there to be some facepalming soon.

Solution:

1. Download the two images April1.jpg and October31.jpg to your computer.

2. Rename April1.jpg and October31.jpg to April1.txt and October31.txt respectively.

3. Open up the text files and scroll all the way to the end of the file.

4. Congrats, you have now found the link to the now-expired giveaways.

jaxsonbateman
06-21-2013, 12:21 PM
That's... interesting. I had no idea you could do that with images - I always imagined if you did that it'd break the image. I guess not. Kudos for a good challenge. :-)

Kami
06-21-2013, 12:29 PM
That's... interesting. I had no idea you could do that with images - I always imagined if you did that it'd break the image. I guess not. Kudos for a good challenge. :-)

Yes, normally you would break the images. There is a certain method to do it through command line (quickest method).

I also threw in the two dates as red herrings, intentionally choosing both April Fool's and Hallowe'en (Trick-or-Treat!).

Amusingly, future giveaways from me will be more difficult. :)

quaza
06-21-2013, 12:33 PM
That's amazing! I had no idea you could do that. (I don't feel so dumb now.)

Gwaer
06-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I even used an image decoder to look for legit hidden messages decoded into them. Never would have considered someone just adding text to the end =/ Even though we used to do that.

Vibraxus
06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
LOL thats awesome! I didnt even think about changing them to txt files.

Kami
06-21-2013, 12:59 PM
I even used an image decoder to look for legit hidden messages decoded into them. Never would have considered someone just adding text to the end =/ Even though we used to do that.

Sometimes the old tricks still work. :)

cavench
06-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm curious why you picked Witcher 1+2, and file named April and October. Do they serve as clues?

Kami
06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm curious why you picked Witcher 1+2, and file named April and October. Do they serve as clues?

I picked Witcher 1+2 just because they're good games to give away as prizes.

As for the file names, they weren't clues, they were distractions. You could argue they were clues (April Fool's, Trick-or-Treat) and the meaning behind that but people assumed it was the only path to the solution.

I could list an assortment of comments in which several people were mislead by the dates. It was intentional to cause people to over-analyze. Despite my continuous comments how this puzzle was not difficult, people still kept getting caught up on the dates and whatever else their minds came up with.

This was an old, simple trick that played on a bit of psychology as a spin. :)

As I said before, this is only about a 1.5/5 in difficulty. It will only get increasingly difficult as the prize quality increases, heh.

Gwaer
06-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I picked Witcher 1+2 just because they're good games to give away as prizes.

As for the file names, they weren't clues, they were distractions. You could argue they were clues (April Fool's, Trick-or-Treat) and the meaning behind that but people assumed it was the only path to the solution.

I could list an assortment of comments in which several people were mislead by the dates. It was intentional to cause people to over-analyze. Despite my continuous comments how this puzzle was not difficult, people still kept getting caught up on the dates and whatever else their minds came up with.

This was an old, simple trick that played on a bit of psychology as a spin. :)

As I said before, this is only about a 1.5/5 in difficulty. It will only get increasingly difficult as the prize quality increases, heh.
Maybe I'll have better luck on the harder ones =(

cavench
06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
These easy ones are beneath me. I'll wait for harder ones that are worthy of my time.

Ummm.. yeah...