PDA

View Full Version : Does Faction Matter?

Kalium
06-20-2013, 11:53 AM
I was looking at known cards on various web sites and a question came to mind. When I build a deck, can I include both Ardent and Underworld Troops in the deck... or can you only have one or the other? If you can have both then I'm left wondering what is the point? If you can only have one then that is going to seriously limit what you can put together in a Deck. Or is it both for PvP and only one for PvE? Any clarification would be helpful.

Kalium

quaza
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
You can put any troop in any deck. The factions alter the storyline of PvE Dungeons (I.E. your playthrough will be different for each side).

jaxsonbateman
06-20-2013, 11:57 AM
In PvP you definitely can.

In PvE I expect that you can, though I wouldn't be totally surprised if you couldn't. Not being able to would be good for flavor, but players might feel forced into playing a certain faction if they want to play certain cards, and that seems anti-fun.

I'd expect the factions would matter for future casual constructed formats, like alliance vs underworld.

HellFro
06-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I think the factions are just for story telling. I see the cards as mercenaries I've coaxed to help me on my adventures. I've also read it somewhere that there won't be a faction limit to building your deck.

Xintia
06-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Well it seems to me that if there was NO game impact to faction, there wouldn't be a reason to put that information on the cards. The fact that they did put that on there would seem to imply that there will be some kind of in-game "consequence" for cards of a specific faction. As noted this will almost certainly apply to PvE only, but I think there will be some sort of impact in terms of game mechanics. We just don't know what it is yet.

jaxsonbateman
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Well it seems to me that if there was NO game impact to faction, there wouldn't be a reason to put that information on the cards. The fact that they did put that on there would seem to imply that there will be some kind of in-game "consequence" for cards of a specific faction. As noted this will almost certainly apply to PvE only, but I think there will be some sort of impact in terms of game mechanics. We just don't know what it is yet.
There could be a lot of potential applications, such as custom formats for decks consisting of only one faction, particular quests (or, universe forbid, dungeons or raids) that only allow one faction, and stuff like that.

As for the idea as a whole in PvE though, I think the majority of PvE - that is, normal PvE - will allow any card in any deck.

Aradon
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
The cards have a faction identity that can be interacted with by game mechanics. We have seen the Black Tiger have a legendary equipment that gives +1/+0 to Underworld troops and +0/+1 to Ardent troops. Similarly, there might be a 'destroy target Underworld Troop' spell or 'Target Ardent troop gets +5/+5 until end of turn,' spells. Or, "Search your library for an Ardent troop and put it into your hand."