PDA

View Full Version : What are the play styles of the five different color groups?

GoatWarlord
06-21-2013, 03:15 AM
I apologize if this has been previously mentioned, but I didn't have any luck finding anything. Additionally, I'm big into control decks in MtG. Is it going to be possible to make decks like that in this game, and if so what colors would they be focused on?

Chiany
06-21-2013, 03:17 AM
We miss over half of the set, so we can't say for sure.
There are some playstyles already possible, but how valid they are, nobody can tell you now.

Diesbudt
06-21-2013, 05:12 AM
I apologize if this has been previously mentioned, but I didn't have any luck finding anything. Additionally, I'm big into control decks in MtG. Is it going to be possible to make decks like that in this game, and if so what colors would they be focused on?

If you were big into MtG, the colors act similar.

DanTheMeek
06-21-2013, 06:26 AM
As stated, with out having seen the whole set we can only speculate, but so far nearly all the reveals suggest hex will be following MTGs color wheel, just with new names for the colors (though blood looks more purple then black). So if you're familar with MTG:

Ruby - Red
Sapphire - Blue
Diamond - White
Wild - Green
Blood - Black

Tiuvath
06-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Ruby - Red - rawr, I am gonna bite you in the nuts
Sapphire - Blue - nifty stuff
Diamond - White - my pants of holyness defy you
Wild - Green - spammers
Blood - Black - I am so sad, I have to kill everything

obviosuly there will be overlaps between the colours but I think that covers it mostly

Diesbudt
06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Ruby - BURN IT WITH FIRE. Oh and a few orcs...
Sapphire - Need more cards! Oh and let me triplicate my action casting...
Diamond - Nananah booboo you can't harm me. Humans assemble!
Wild - Attack forest friends! Multiply! Grow massive! Trample them with your bunny feet!
Blood - Your power, is now my power. Your health is now my health. I curse you.

chuckdeg
06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
I am not too familiar with MTGO either but are there better decks or each colors can be as powerful as other?

Also, are there any play styles that are better in general? Or at least is there some kind of that play style beats that play style or in the end it just depends on who has the best cards?

Diesbudt
06-21-2013, 07:32 AM
I am not too familiar with MTGO either but are there better decks or each colors can be as powerful as other?

Also, are there any play styles that are better in general? Or at least is there some kind of that play style beats that play style or in the end it just depends on who has the best cards?

There is a few different ways to play.

Each color has its own playstyle, and really cannot compare which one is "better" as it can depend on the cards, the player and combos. Same as some decks may run dual (or even oddly trio) colors in decks to cause more combos. There are playstyles such as "control" and "agro" but if you are not too familiar with MtG, going into too much detail of these through words will not give you a true understanding of them.

cavench
06-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Step 1 - go to http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/
Step 2 - Search for keywords: Escalation, Inspire, Rage, Speed, Crush, Steadfast, Defensive, Lifedrain, Flight, Swiftstrike, Spellshield, Invincible. Compare what each keyword does for each keyword, or find out which keyword is exclusive to a specific color.

Then you will get an good idea on how CZE is defining each color.

DjiN
06-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Step 1 - go to http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/
Step 2 - Search for keywords: Escalation, Inspire, Rage, Speed, Crush, Steadfast, Defensive, Lifedrain, Flight, Swiftstrike, Spellshield, Invincible. Compare what each keyword does for each keyword, or find out which keyword is exclusive to a specific color.

Then you will get an good idea on how CZE is defining each color.

Looking up the keyword Flight was very helpful. Every color has it, so all colors are the same! Good to know ^^

Swordmage
06-21-2013, 09:24 AM
A sidenote here, but am I the only that has a really hard time referring to these by the gem names? I spent ages playing Magic at a "high" level, so the colors are ingrained. Blood GEM sounds awesome. My Blood DECK sounds kind of...whingy and ridiculous? I wonder how long before the community devolves into just calling them by the colors...

incitfulmonk21
06-21-2013, 09:27 AM

No one deck is better overall though each type of deck is usually better then another specific type of deck.

Your play style and the way you think should determine your deck unless of course you can divine what the other player is going to be using.

jai151
06-21-2013, 09:29 AM
A sidenote here, but am I the only that has a really hard time referring to these by the gem names? I spent ages playing Magic at a "high" level, so the colors are ingrained. Blood GEM sounds awesome. My Blood DECK sounds kind of...whingy and ridiculous? I wonder how long before the community devolves into just calling them by the colors...

As a deck name, I rather like the Hex version. Besides, decks usually wind up named after a card or mechanic rather than color.

When referring to cards, however, it's hard for me to say "sapphire quick action" instead of "blue instant"

cavench
06-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Looking up the keyword Flight was very helpful. Every color has it, so all colors are the same! Good to know ^^

Obviously you need to look a bit more into it. Compare among the colors, for example flight for Wild isn't as readily available as other colors, there is no flier for Wild commons and uncommons; while Sapphire gets an awesome common flyer at only 2 resources.

ZeroCool
06-21-2013, 11:17 AM
I think it may be hard to say until more cards are revealed.