PDA

View Full Version : State of Emergency here in Calgary.

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

I just wanted to offer out support to anyone in our HEX community who has lost their home or has been Evacuated here in Calgary. We are in Dire Straits here with Flooding, They Military are here and everyone is trying to help out the best they can.

My wife and I have taken a few friends in already and I would like to reach out to any in the Hex community who has been effected, you have a place to stay.

Please simply shoot me back a message or post here and we can go from there, so far our area is safe GULP so far!

Cheers,
Billy

Gwaer
06-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I hear it's pretty bad. Hope things recover quickly.

ossuary
06-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Hope your area stays safe, man. Us East Coast Canadians wish you all safe and speedy recovery from the disaster.

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Hello Gwaer,

It is unlike anything I have ever seen... My wife and I did some major baking/cooking and gathered up some games "cough" including my D.C Deck builder and are getting ready to go down to 1 of the Emergency shelters and drop some stuff off for the folks who have already lost homes or been evacuated.

Feeling for everyone right now effected.

:(

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Thank you ossuary, originally a New Brunswicker here, but moved out to calgary for work 6 years ago.

Thanks again,

ossuary
06-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Thank you ossuary, originally a New Brunswicker here, but moved out to calgary for work 6 years ago.

Thanks again,

My wife is from Newfoundland, so we have a lot of family and friends out that way. Keeping an eye on the news very closely, trying to keep in touch with everyone, etc.

Gotta say, it makes me feel very proud of my countrymen to see people like you, giving what you can, opening up your home... hard times bring out the best in people.

Tathel
06-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Best wishes to all of you over there!

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 09:34 AM
You get what you put in to life right? So its the least that we can do, we are all human in the end and I guess I was brought up right! :P

My wife is from Newfoundland, so we have a lot of family and friends out that way. Keeping an eye on the news very closely, trying to keep in touch with everyone, etc.

Gotta say, it makes me feel very proud of my countrymen to see people like you, giving what you can, opening up your home... hard times bring out the best in people.

keroko
06-21-2013, 09:34 AM
good luck to all involved.

jai151
06-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Stay safe, (Calgarian? Calgarite? Calgarish?) Hexers from Calgary!

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes, SEE! This is why our Hex community is so special, We have now taken in 2 families and a couple of close friends.... and still have room, I know HEX is likely the last place people are going to see this but if you do.......... Hit me up and I will do everything I can to put you up here and provision.

:)

Chiany
06-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Wow this puts waiting for a game in perspective.

Be safe everyone effected.

wererat
06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Nova Scotian here currently living in Edmonton. Wish I had space to offer up but good luck to you guys.

ZeroCool
06-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Canada has a military?

cavench
06-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm glad to read that the flood has not caused any injury.

BossHoss
06-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Canada has a military?

Sort of... We are kind of like the Swiss army without the knife...

Great thing you are doing PTM! I played ball in Calgary a few years ago and have quite a few friends affected. The river is nuts knowing what it "normally" looks like

GreyGriffin
06-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Are there any aid organizations that you have seen on the ground? I know we are all broke from buying multiple tiers, but if you have firsthand knowledge of what aid organizations are actually present and helping, I am sure the community can muster up some generosity beyond the big ones like Red Cross that get all the media.

nicosharp
06-21-2013, 10:25 AM
It looks pretty intense on the news. Good luck to all. I know we have quite a few folks from that area on the forums.

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 10:28 AM
A comment like that considering the time we are going though here is in pretty poor taste bud, and you indeed lived up to your name on this forum....

Canada has a military?

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Sort of... We are kind of like the Swiss army without the knife...

Great thing you are doing PTM! I played ball in Calgary a few years ago and have quite a few friends affected. The river is nuts knowing what it "normally" looks like

Hello Boss,

Thank you good sir, least my wife and I can do for those who really have lost everything.... :(

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Are there any aid organizations that you have seen on the ground? I know we are all broke from buying multiple tiers, but if you have firsthand knowledge of what aid organizations are actually present and helping, I am sure the community can muster up some generosity beyond the big ones like Red Cross that get all the media.

Hello Griffin,

I can for sure look into that and once again... This is why our Community is something special!!!

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
It looks pretty intense on the news. Good luck to all. I know we have quite a few folks from that area on the forums.

Hiya Nico,

Yes exactly! which is why I am offering out my home/food and what ever else peeps need till they can get back on there feet, Nuff Said!!!

Hatts
06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
The Canadian red cross is a good organization to donate to for this, they are already on the ground and are co-coordinating places for evacuated families as well as helping people get in contact with friends / family who have been evacuated. See http://redcrosstalks.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/red-cross-responding-to-alberta-flooding/

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Amen Hatts!!! Thank you kindly.

The Canadian red cross is a good organization to donate to for this, they are already on the ground and are co-coordinating places for evacuated families as well as helping people get in contact with friends / family who have been evacuated. See http://redcrosstalks.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/red-cross-responding-to-alberta-flooding/

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Hmmmm 323 views and only 23 responses and half by me! I am shocked that most would not even leave a good word. Shame on you!

:( and to those who have :)

ossuary
06-21-2013, 11:51 AM
A lot of people get embarrassed / uncomfortable at this sort of thing and don't really know what to say without sounding hollow / insincere, so instead say nothing. It's no big deal.

wererat
06-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Small population of canadians too.

Ramshackal
06-21-2013, 12:01 PM
This is pretty bad, for those who don't understand yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Js6BvFp4Afc

Stay safe out there.

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Cheers Ram ty man!

This is pretty bad, for those who don't understand yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Js6BvFp4Afc

Stay safe out there.

hexinggems
06-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Stay safe out there, it just looks to be getting worse and worse throughout the day...some of the pics are heartbreaking (like the zoo shots)

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
They are Heartbreaking... I sent out a message to Cory just letting him know that it would be great if he or one of the gang could pop in to the post for some moral support, we will see...

Stay safe out there, it just looks to be getting worse and worse throughout the day...some of the pics are heartbreaking (like the zoo shots)

Dallas
06-21-2013, 04:17 PM
wow, we got like... showers that day? got lucky

hex_colin
06-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Hmmmm 323 views and only 23 responses and half by me! I am shocked that most would not even leave a good word. Shame on you!

:( and to those who have :)

That's a little unfair... :(

A lot of people get embarrassed / uncomfortable at this sort of thing and don't really know what to say without sounding hollow / insincere, so instead say nothing. It's no big deal.

This! What can I possibly say that would make anything better, especially on an internet message board? It sucks, I feel for everyone involved, and I've already helped in the only meaningful way I can.

PowderedToastMan
06-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Cheers Colin, and thanks!

That's a little unfair... :(

This! What can I possibly say that would make anything better, especially on an internet message board? It sucks, I feel for everyone involved, and I've already helped in the only meaningful way I can.

MrSeriousBsns
06-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Good luck out there, hope you and yours stay safe!

Swerthy
06-22-2013, 12:06 AM
This probably doesn't mean much coming from a Southern Californian as I have never experienced floods, especially like what is going on in South Alberta, but I truly hope everyone is okay. The pictures alone tell a grim story thus far.
But can I say Powdered ToastMan, what you're doing is truly incredible and inspiring. Opening your home to complete strangers and giving them food & shelter is more than anyone could ask for. If this is even a small glimmer of what a community like HEX can do, then I am excited to be a part of it.

I'll be praying for all those involved in the flood and the relief efforts to come. Be safe.

PowderedToastMan
06-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Thank you very much Swerthy for the kind words man, LOL... as far as opening up our homes and food etc... being uncomfortable is pretty silly at this point, these folks dont know what they have left when they go back so we just cant sit back and do nothing for them.

And YES our community does ROCK!

:)

This probably doesn't mean much coming from a Southern Californian as I have never experienced floods, especially like what is going on in South Alberta, but I truly hope everyone is okay. The pictures alone tell a grim story thus far.
But can I say Powdered ToastMan, what you're doing is truly incredible and inspiring. Opening your home to complete strangers and giving them food & shelter is more than anyone could ask for. If this is even a small glimmer of what a community like HEX can do, then I am excited to be a part of it.

I'll be praying for all those involved in the flood and the relief efforts to come. Be safe.

PowderedToastMan
06-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Just a Bump for any in need can see.

For anyone in Calgary currently homeless and have not found shelter please hit me up on here and we will figure out a way to get you situated in any way we can!

I will be checking in ALOT....

Keep Safe!

Hollywood
06-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Thoughts and prayers from Moore, Oklahoma. Stay safe.

Striefer
06-23-2013, 03:10 AM
I live in Calgary as well. I was downtown right before they closed it off.
I am one of the fortunate people that live up higher, so my heart goes out to all those that were not as fortunate.

Punk
06-23-2013, 03:24 AM
That really sucks. I hope you all recover soon.