PDA

View Full Version : High threshold/Low mana cards

Grumph
06-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Has anyone speculated the possibility of cards that have a higher threshold than actual mana cost? They could make some really good mid/late game cards with cheap mana cost but higher threshold cost. It could make a whole new aggro deck type,that focuses on a mid game burst. Think of maybe a ball lightning type card having a mana cost of 2 but a threshold of 4 or 5. If you had a couple in cards like this in your opening hand you could drop them both on round 4 and potentially catch your opponent off guard.

Gregzilla
06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
There's already one card like this, actually:

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/NinjaTraining_Gear_Web.png

Aradon
06-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I had thought of this, but I don't know if aggro is the deck that'll want it most. Usually when you hit those higher thresholds in an aggro deck, you're running low on cards and don't need to cast multiple spells in one turn. Although, burn spells would be a good application of this. A 1-mana burn spell with 5 threshold would be a sweet extra kick after you play your 4-mana speed troop, etc.

I'd love to see a nice finisher in a control deck that has a low mana cost, but high threshold. Being able to play an 'expensive' spell while having countermagic up is pretty strong.

Serra Avenger is an interesting comparison; 2 cost, 3 white threshold is essentially how it would play, for a 3/3 flying vigilant.

Grumph
06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
There's already one card like this, actually:

Yea but the point of that card is to get it to cost more for a bigger effect. I'm talking about cards that don't scale depending on how much mana is spent on them.