PDA

View Full Version : How will Hex be released? On steam or independent or something else?

Slish
06-21-2013, 12:45 PM
How will Hex be released? On steam or independent or something else?
Anyone knows?

KaosSoul
06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
independent most likely

jaxsonbateman
06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Steam integration will be nice, but for some reason I seem to think it'll be a stand-alone downloadable from the site. Either I read that somewhere, or something made me think that. Or I could be talking out of my butt.

Chiany
06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Hope it won't be Steam only (which I don't expect)

Trothael
06-21-2013, 12:53 PM
It's never gonna be Steam exclusive, but they've mentioned that they're working on getting the Steam API to work with Hex so that you can use the Steam overlay.

I imagine at some point it might be published through Steam as well as any other publishing routes they go down.

Krakanous
06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Any/both most likely.

Athravan
06-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd love it to be available on steam; but realistically since launching it from steam would only launch into the hex client login, it's only the hours clocked feature, and possibly steam achievements, that are a bonus (since all the other overlay features like screenshots, chatting and so on, you can get by adding as a non steam game). Still, it'd make life easier for seeing what friends are playing Hex who play other games too :)

Genocidal
06-22-2013, 10:13 AM
It's never gonna be Steam exclusive, but they've mentioned that they're working on getting the Steam API to work with Hex so that you can use the Steam overlay.
This is honestly less impressive than it sounds; games that don't work with Steam overlay are the exception these days.

I'd love it to be available on steam; but realistically since launching it from steam would only launch into the hex client login, it's only the hours clocked feature, and possibly steam achievements, that are a bonus (since all the other overlay features like screenshots, chatting and so on, you can get by adding as a non steam game). Still, it'd make life easier for seeing what friends are playing Hex who play other games too :)
The greatest boon of Steam availability would be a much larger audience which translates to more players and more revenue.

Mr.Funsocks
06-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Publishing F2P/MT Games on Steam tends to be a difficult business decision unfortunately. But it's a great market to get into if they can make the business side work.

ZeroCool
06-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Because it'll be multi-formatted, I'd put my money on it being sold directly from CZE.

blakegrandon
06-22-2013, 03:11 PM
I know that even with a GK pledge I'd jump at the chance for a physical collectors edition box with the install CD in it.... I don't think I've ever dropped $500 on a game and then willingly offered more.

Viziroth
06-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Integrating with steam might also mean being able to take advantage of steam trading. Although I'm not sure what effect that will have on the market. (raise in demand because increase of uses, lower in price because people received a bunch of "random stuff from some game" in a bulk trade and list it for low prices.)

sckolar
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure it would make sense. Yes it would make the game stand out more, but Steam would get a cut of the profit wouldn't they? I would think Steam is only helpful if developers need to get their game to stand out, but with how popular this game is, they are not going to need Steam. Players will pour right in, and rumor will spread if it is good. If the game was not so popular, then yeah, they would need Steam.

Viziroth
06-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Steam would probably only take a up front listing fee. Outside that, they may take a portion of money if CZE allows people to purchase in game currency with their steam wallet, and there may be another one time fee for adding the game to the steam trading system. Since the game itself is free to play, what money will steam be able to siphon from purchases? Even 100% of 0 is 0.

Genocidal
06-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Steam now requires all in-game DLC to be purchasable through them if the game is to be listed. Cryptozoic would also likely have to/ would want to accept Steam Wallet as a method of payment. While no one has officially released their contract details, word is that Valve takes a roughly 30% cut from sales through their storefront, which would include the above mentioned purchases.

Facilier
06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
It will be released into the atmosphere and you will have to use USB dreamcatchers to install it.

Mr.Funsocks
06-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Usually, a F2P game that lists on Steam will have a "Steam Special" package (ie they could sell a pack of 20 boosters for 20$ or something), which Steam gets its cut through, if they do it. It's a great way to capture a greater audience, without having to let a 3rd party take a cut of everything.

jok3rxfear
01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
I would definitely invest my time and money on Hex if the game is available on Steam. Would like my games to be on the same client.

madar
01-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Yoss
01-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Holy necro, Batman!

Gwaer
01-14-2014, 04:37 PM
They aren't releasing it through steam. Can we stop bumping this incredibly old thread now?

Zophie
01-16-2014, 12:05 AM
I'm sure it'll be sold direct from CZE, but I really hope they also offer it on Steam. Steam has 75 million active users, that's a lot of great exposure for the game.